PDA

View Full Version : Task Force Apologizes for Controversy of Mammography Recommendations

chloe
12-02-2009, 09:07 PM
Task Force Apologizes for Controversy of Mammography Recommendations

FOXNews.com

The government task force that issued controversial guidelines last month advising against routine mammograms for women under 50 apologized Wednesday for a ruling that left many women and health advocates scratching their heads.

The government task force that issued controversial guidelines last month advising against annual mammograms for women under 50 apologized Wednesday for the ruling, which had left many women and health advocates scratching their heads.

The ruling, issued last month by U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, clashed with established guidelines recommending annual mammograms beginning at 40 to detect early signs of breast cancer.

The task force, made up of doctors and scientists, acknowledged the way in which the recommendations were released wasn't done very smoothly -- and the timing wasn't great either, right in the middle of a heated debate on health care.

The apology came at a House Energy and Commerce subcommittee hearing on breast cancer screening recommendations, where lawmakers sought clarity on the ruling.

Although the hearing had been scheduled quickly with the aim of getting explanations and guidance from the task force, it quickly morphed into a renewed debate over the health care legislation working its way through Congress.

"When you have government commissions setting policy instead of a doctor and a patient relationship, you get this," said Rep. John Shimkus, R-Ill.

But Democrats said they simply wanted answers.

"We need to remain, I think, devoted and dedicated to solid science in our country and to pay heed to that, and I think that really drives to the core of what we are here today for. And God help us if we don’t," said Rep. Anna Eshoo, D-Calif.

Conservative critics have said the ruling amounted to "rationing" in the fight against the No. 2 cancer killer in U.S. women, and they cited it as an example of why a government-run insurance plan should not be included in final health reform legislation.

Rep. Dan Burton, R-Ind., is sending letters to Republican senators asking them to wear a pink tie or shirt in opposition to the guidelines as they debate the Senate's version of the health care bill.

"This visual protest will be a sign of solidarity with women across America, and it will send a concerted message that the Republican Party is staunchly opposed to rationing mammograms, or any other policy that rations health care," he said in a written statement.

In its ruling, the task force advises against regular mammography tests in women aged 40 to 49. The guidelines also downplay the effectiveness of self-examinations, though it still advise that women aged 50 to 74 years receive mammograms every year or two.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/12/02/task-force-apologizes-controversy-mammography-recommendations/

Kathianne
12-02-2009, 09:09 PM
No way would 'government provided health care' result in rationing. Right. Bridge for sale!

chloe
12-02-2009, 09:27 PM
No way would 'government provided health care' result in rationing. Right. Bridge for sale!

Yeah I remember during his campaign how cold and aloof Obama was in one of the town talks, some elderly lady was sharing how she had got a pacemaker or some kind of surgery that imporved her quality of life, and his response seemed disinterested and as if he thought it was waste of money to do that on elderly. He didn't say that of course but it was veiled speech that gave me the impressions. Now I see women's health issues won't matter either.

Binky
12-03-2009, 03:20 PM

Too damn bad for us they don't ration out the bullpucky they so freely toss at us.....