PDA

View Full Version : Henery Waxman - Government Will have to Takeover America's Newpapers?

red states rule
12-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Why is it liberals think the government can fix everything? Who in their right mind would use tax and spend liberlaism as a business model?

Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A top Democratic lawmaker predicted on Wednesday that the government will be involved in shaping the future for struggling U.S. media organizations.

House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Henry Waxman, saying quality journalism was essential to U.S. democracy, said eventually government would have to help resolve the problems caused by a failing business model.

Waxman, other U.S. lawmakers and regulators are looking into various options to help a newspaper industry hurt by the shift in advertising revenues to online platforms.

Tweaks to the tax code to allow newspapers to spread losses over a greater number of years, providing a nonprofit structure to allow for public and foundation funding, and changes to antitrust laws are being considered by lawmakers and policymakers.

"Eventually government is going to have to be responsible to help and resolve these issues," Waxman told a conference hosted by the U.S. Federal Trade Commission on the future of journalism.

Free Press, a public interest group, said the search for solutions to the crisis in journalism should be premised on the idea that news-gathering is a public service, not a commodity.

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSTRE5B14H320091202?feedType=RSS&feedName=politicsNews&rpc=22&sp=true

HogTrash
12-03-2009, 12:03 AM
It sadens me to say he is the ugliest white man I have ever seen in my life. :eek:

red states rule
12-03-2009, 12:06 AM
It sadens me to say he is the ugliest white man I have ever seen in my life. :eek:

Not only that I thought libs were for "progress". If the internet is how people get their news, why would libs want to keep newspaper going that people do not want?

Besides how many trees are killed to keep those papers comes of the presses?

Or could it be once the Federal government ows those papers, the stories must be approved by the governments "Newspaper Czar" and his/her staff?

cat slave
12-03-2009, 07:08 PM

Isnt he though???? Every time I see him I just see that snout! He could
probably drown in a heavy rain.

My bad...hehehehe:lol:

cat slave
12-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Why is it liberals think the government can fix everything? Who in their right mind would use tax and spend liberlaism as a business model?

I dont think "fixing" is what they have in mind. I think its all about control,
just like all the other things they have their sticky fingers in.

BoogyMan
12-03-2009, 07:16 PM
I dont think "fixing" is what they have in mind. I think its all about control,
just like all the other things they have their sticky fingers in.

I think they fully intend to "fix" the media. Fix meaning finish the media off as an independent entity and make it an arm of the government to deliver propaganda. Pravda anyone?

PostmodernProphet
12-04-2009, 08:01 AM
I wish the government would spend less time trying to take over businesses and more time trying to take over government......

red states rule
12-04-2009, 09:07 AM
If the Dems get their way

http://media.washingtontimes.com/media/img/photos/2009/12/03/20meek_t756.jpg?