PDA

View Full Version : "One Nation Under God"

glockmail
12-03-2009, 05:20 PM
http://rumorsontheinternets.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/full-painting.jpg?w=550&h=371

http://www.mcnaughtonart.com/artwork/view_zoom/?artpiece_id=353

:beer:

chloe
12-03-2009, 05:38 PM
very nice Glock, I love Art !

Pericles
12-03-2009, 07:32 PM
http://rumorsontheinternets.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/full-painting.jpg?w=550&h=371

http://www.mcnaughtonart.com/artwork/view_zoom/?artpiece_id=353

:beer:

Hmnh. Ever seen the Social Realism genre of painting, from the 1920's and 30's? It was a style deliberately used by autocratic rulers, as propoganda for their regimes (Stalin's, in particular). Looked exactly like this.

chloe
12-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Hmnh. Ever seen the Social Realism genre of painting, from the 1920's and 30's? It was a style deliberately used by autocratic rulers, as propoganda for their regimes (Stalin's, in particular). Looked exactly like this.

I don't think I have, but feel free to open an Art Thread I'll view it.:cool:

bullypulpit
12-03-2009, 08:19 PM
"One nation under God" begs the question of just which god.

Jeff
12-03-2009, 09:16 PM

The only ONE

Laura
12-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Your right Jeff, There is only ONE! I enjoyed the art it is very interesting. and thought provoking.

bullypulpit
12-04-2009, 05:41 AM
The only ONE

Every monotheistic religion views their favorite invisible sky wizard as the "Only One", and there have been many throughout history. Please be specific.

Noir
12-04-2009, 06:56 AM
Oh sweet irony that the constitution (for i assume that is what Jesus is holding) which in its 1st Amendment outlines the establishment clause is being used for religious propaganda,

glockmail
12-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Oh sweet irony that the constitution (for i assume that is what Jesus is holding) which in its 1st Amendment outlines the establishment clause is being used for religious propaganda,

Click on the link, then hover over each detail for the artist's explanation.

Noir
12-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Click on the link, then hover over each detail for the artist's explanation.

I clicked the link and read...at no point does it give a reason address the fact that he used Christianity and not religion, sure it may be a little detail, and to be honest its not one i really care about, cus it makes no difference to be or my life, i just find it ironic,

crin63
12-04-2009, 10:59 AM
I understand why in this art but personally I'm opposed to pictures of what is supposed to be Jesus however I like the concept of this art. I would have displayed the Constitution in blood stained, nail pierced hands.

I also disagree with the artist when he says it not important that certain figures were Christians. That is important because most of our Founding Fathers were Christians and that helps us to understand where they were coming from in their founding of our nation.

glockmail
12-04-2009, 03:23 PM
I understand why in this art but personally I'm opposed to pictures of what is supposed to be Jesus however I like the concept of this art. I would have displayed the Constitution in blood stained, nail pierced hands.

I also disagree with the artist when he says it not important that certain figures were Christians. That is important because most of our Founding Fathers were Christians and that helps us to understand where they were coming from in their founding of our nation.

I understand the "no graven images" thing but as a Catholic believe that many have it wrong. We don't worship the art but use it as a way to worship God.

crin63
12-04-2009, 10:01 PM
I understand the "no graven images" thing but as a Catholic believe that many have it wrong. We don't worship the art but use it as a way to worship God.

Well I thought God was pretty clear on it.

Exo 20:1 And God spake all these words, saying,
Exo 20:2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
Exo 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Exo 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
Exo 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
Exo 20:6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Noir
12-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Houl the bus here Crin..."Exo 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth"

So you believe that art which depicts a likeness of an animal on earth goes against god?

Missileman
12-05-2009, 08:27 AM
Houl the bus here Crin..."Exo 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth"

So you believe that art which depicts a likeness of an animal on earth goes against god?

A graven image = idol = something worshipped. A sculpture for the sake of art would be something entirely different.

Noir
12-05-2009, 08:35 AM
Yeah but thats not the way its worded, granted that may be what they mean but if so its not clear, as it says "any graven image, or any likeness...

Missileman
12-05-2009, 08:38 AM
Yeah but thats not the way its worded, granted that may be what they mean but if so its not clear, as it says "any graven image, or any likeness...

likeness would include a picture that might be worshipped also. Art isn't out of bounds.

bullypulpit
12-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Every monotheistic religion views their favorite invisible sky wizard as the "Only One", and there have been many throughout history. Please be specific.

Specificity is, apparently, beyond their grasp. *sigh*

BoogyMan
12-05-2009, 11:45 AM

There is a point at which the open minded have become so very open minded that the brain falls completely out, BP. There is only one God.

darin
12-05-2009, 12:38 PM

Lots off ppl love taking that line and making it into something it's not - completely missing the point. God's point was this "Stop worshiping STUFF...man-made things, and worship Me". Ppl LOVE to assign holiness to objects - crucifixes, etc - and before too long they start to misplace their worship.

There's NO biblical prohibition against a painting of some white dude and calling him "Jesus".

bullypulpit
12-05-2009, 07:57 PM
There is a point at which the open minded have become so very open minded that the brain falls completely out, BP. There is only one God.

A matter of opinion...not fact. And the fact is that arguing about religion is no different than arguing about ones taste in art.

Jeff
12-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Specificity is, apparently, beyond their grasp. *sigh*

Well Bully some of us have other obligations than getting to the board everyday, I saw your post but had no time to reply, so I will try now

IMO there is only one God, your correct there are many different religions with as many different names for God, but IMO we are all worshiping the same God, God is a name, it is what you believe and what is in your heart that will make ya right in his eyes, I am sure your name is not bullpulpit but that is what you are called here, I call ya bully, see different names but the same person, No I don't feel all religions are right but I also don't feel it is for me to judge , God may be called different names but again it is not for me to decide what is correct

crin63
12-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Maybe no one noticed how people were freaking out over a copy of a picture of the lady of Guadalupe. Thousands of people lined up to bow down, weep and treat a painting as though it were a god. That's insane.

Every time someone paints a picture that is supposed to represent Jesus there will be others who will treat the picture itself as a deity or holy. I'm of the opinion that it causes others to stumble and therein lies a problem.

glockmail
12-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Maybe no one noticed how people were freaking out over a copy of a picture of the lady of Guadalupe. Thousands of people lined up to bow down, weep and treat a painting as though it were a god. That's insane.

Every time someone paints a picture that is supposed to represent Jesus there will be others who will treat the picture itself as a deity or holy. I'm of the opinion that it causes others to stumble and therein lies a problem. Good point, and that is one mistake I've seen several Catholics make.

HogTrash
12-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Every monotheistic religion views their favorite invisible sky wizard as the "Only One", and there have been many throughout history. Please be specific.How condescendingly rude...

Noir
12-06-2009, 08:28 PM
How condescendingly rude...

You know what they say about people in glass houses...

glockmail
12-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Well I thought God was pretty clear on it.

Exo 20:1 And God spake all these words, saying,
Exo 20:2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
Exo 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Exo 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
Exo 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
Exo 20:6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

This explains the Church's position on this quite well: http://www.catholic.com/library/Do_Catholics_Worship_Statues.asp

I believe the meaning of the Commandment is to forbid idol worship. Surely God wouldn't restrict us from drawing pictures of fish!

glockmail
12-06-2009, 09:11 PM
How condescendingly rude... Meet Bully, one of the biggest assholes on the internet.

bullypulpit
12-07-2009, 07:31 AM
Meet Bully, one of the biggest assholes on the internet.

Project much?

glockmail
12-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Project much?How's McChimpy Obama working out for you, Liberal? :lol:

HogTrash
12-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Meet Bully, one of the biggest assholes on the internet.He is apparently the product of poor parenting.

bullypulpit
12-09-2009, 06:00 AM
He is apparently the product of poor parenting.

Nah...Unlike you, I don't spend my free time huffing carb cleaner.

glockmail
12-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Nah...Unlike you, I don't spend my free time huffing carb cleaner.You spend it with your face in a queer's lap instead. :lol: