PDA

View Full Version : Texas executes killer of 11-year-old girl

chloe
12-03-2009, 10:39 PM
HUNTSVILLE, Texas — A 44-year-old Texas man was executed Thursday evening for raping and murdering an 11-year-old girl, despite pleas from his attorneys he was too mentally impaired to qualify for capital punishment.

Bobby Wayne Woods received lethal injection about a half-hour after the U.S. Supreme Court refused to halt his punishment, which was delayed briefly until the high court ruled in his case. His lawyers had argued Woods was mentally impaired, making him ineligible for execution, and that previous appeals to spare Woods' life were unsuccessful because of shoddy work by his lawyer at the time.

Tests administered to Woods put his IQ anywhere from the 60s to the 80s. An IQ of 70 is considered the threshold for mental impairment.

Woods was convicted of capital murder and sentenced to die for the April 1997 slaying of Sarah Patterson, his ex-girlfriend's daughter. She and her 9-year-old brother were snatched from their home in Granbury, near Fort Worth. Sarah's throat was slit with a knife. Her brother was beaten and left for dead but survived to testify against Woods.

Asked by a warden if he had a final statement, Woods lifted his head from the pillow on the death chamber gurney and replied: "Bye. I'm ready."

Eight minutes later, at 6:40 p.m. CST, he was pronounced dead.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20091203/US.Texas.Execution/

Insein
12-04-2009, 09:35 AM
That is the reason for the death penalty. This person would never be rehabilitated. He would only be a threat to others if he ever had a chance for release. He is away from society now, permanently. No possibility for parole.

cat slave
12-04-2009, 11:52 AM
I agree!

crin63
12-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Huntsville is where my brother lives and teaches high school. I love Texas!!!

chloe
12-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Was the killer mentally retarded?

Agnapostate
12-04-2009, 12:31 PM
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo18/Dolgoff/governor.jpg

HogTrash
12-04-2009, 01:42 PM
The moment Bobby Wayne Woods exhaled his last dying breath,

the world became a better and safer place for all the little children.

12-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Did it really? Im not saying it wasnt necessary for the cause of justice. Im just not convinced the worlds any safer for children. This world is scerwed up.

Silver
12-04-2009, 05:19 PM
HUNTSVILLE, Texas — A 44-year-old Texas man was executed Thursday evening for raping and murdering an 11-year-old girl, despite pleas from his attorneys he was too mentally impaired to qualify for capital punishment.

Bobby Wayne Woods received lethal injection about a half-hour after the U.S. Supreme Court refused to halt his punishment, which was delayed briefly until the high court ruled in his case. His lawyers had argued Woods was mentally impaired, making him ineligible for execution, and that previous appeals to spare Woods' life were unsuccessful because of shoddy work by his lawyer at the time.

Tests administered to Woods put his IQ anywhere from the 60s to the 80s. An IQ of 70 is considered the threshold for mental impairment.

Woods was convicted of capital murder and sentenced to die for the April 1997 slaying of Sarah Patterson, his ex-girlfriend's daughter. She and her 9-year-old brother were snatched from their home in Granbury, near Fort Worth. Sarah's throat was slit with a knife. Her brother was beaten and left for dead but survived to testify against Woods.

Asked by a warden if he had a final statement, Woods lifted his head from the pillow on the death chamber gurney and replied: "Bye. I'm ready."

Eight minutes later, at 6:40 p.m. CST, he was pronounced dead.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20091203/US.Texas.Execution/

That cheered me up some....:cheers2:

sgtdmski
12-06-2009, 02:10 AM
Thank God for Texas. People may say that the Death Penalty is no longer a deterrent and it might not be, but I will not be losing any sleep over one less child killer in this world.

I wonder if all those liberals out there they cry and complain about the death penalty not being a deterrent have ever hd the thought that perhaps one of the reasons it no longer is working as a deterrent is because it is way too humane. I am sorry but there is something to fear from getting hung, facing a firing squad, entering a gas chamber or being strapped into an electric chair. Perhaps if we made our death penalty alot more scarier it would once again serve as a deterrent to some people.

dmk