PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Malkin Rips Apart NY Times Obamacare Column

red states rule
12-04-2009, 06:14 AM
Using nothing more then the basic standards of journlism - checking the facts - Michelle Malkin exposed the blatant lies of NY Times op-ed writer Nick Kristof tearjerking article on a man who would die unless Obamcare was passed

Turns out the man is getting help, and the day the op-ed ran, he was in the hospital getting rreatment

First, the lies

Are We Going to Let John Die?

If Joe Lieberman or other senators came across John Brodniak writhing in pain on the sidewalk, they presumably would jump to help him and rush him to a hospital

Unfortunately, an emergency room won’t help — indeed, the closest E.R. has told him not to come back, he says. So, for those members of Congress who are wavering on health reform, listen to John’s story.

John is a sawmill worker from Yamhill County, Ore., where I grew up. He was a foreman at a mill, he felt strong and healthy, and he had very basic insurance coverage through his job. On April 18, he was married, at age 23, and life was looking up.

Ten days after the wedding, he was walking in his backyard carrying a neighbor’s dog — and he suddenly blacked out. That led, after rounds of CAT scans, M.R.I.’s and other tests, to the discovery that the left parietal lobe of his brain has a cavernous hemangioma. That’s an abnormal growth of blood vessels, and in John’s case it is chronically leaking blood into his brain.

John began to have trouble walking and would sometimes collapse. He developed spasms and restless leg syndrome, he began to use a cane, and his mind suffered.

“He forgets stuff a lot, he bumps into things,” said his new wife, Esther Brodniak. “But he keeps things light. He jokes about it.”

Perhaps the worst is the pain — blinding, incapacitating headaches that have left him able to sleep only in short intervals. He vomits daily when the pain surges.

“The pain is constant,” John said. “It’s a 7 or 8 on a scale of 10, and then it hits the high peaks and makes me vomit.”

With John unable to work, he lost his job — and his insurance coverage. Esther had insurance for herself and for her two children (from a previous marriage) through her job building manufactured homes. But she couldn’t add John to her plan because of his pre-existing condition.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/29/opinion/29kristof.html?_r=1

now the truth

The crappiest NYTimes column on Obamacare just got crappier; Update: Kristof’s disingenuous non-response

By Michelle Malkin • December 2, 2009 07:51 PM

Today, I did something that Pulitzer Prize-winning NYTimes columnist Nick Kristof apparently didn’t do: I talked to a spokesman at the Oregon Health Sciences University in Portland, Oregon.

I called them up after OHSU’s Dr. Johnny Delashaw left a comment about Kristof’s piece spotlighting the horrible plight of John Brodniak, an Oregon man with a neurological condition that he says no one would treat.

Kristof used Brodniak’s plight to argue for universal health care, decry Brodniak’s deadly lack of insurance (even though he got Medicaid coverage in August), and lambaste doctors for refusing to treat Brodniak due to low reimbursements.

Well, OHSU confirmed for me two things:

1) OHSU is a safety-net hospital not far from where Brodniak lives. The hospital accepts all Medicaid patients and would not turn Brodniak away.

Okay, are you ready for Number 2?

2) Brodniak is a patient at OHSU — and has been a patient there for the past three weeks.

In other words, at the time Kristof’s article was published this past Sunday, Brodniak was already being treated and cared for by some of the best neurologists in the country!

The spokesman told me that the Brodniaks were willing to confirm “reluctantly” for me that he has been a patient there for nearly a month, but they refuse to talk to me directly. The spokesman also told me that OHSU will not make its doctors available for further comment on the matter.

Kristof’s readers have been raising money to pay for the Brodniaks to get him treated. But Brodniak is covered. He doesn’t have to pay a dime.

Will Kristof tell his readers the rest of the “horror story?” Or isn’t the whole truth fit to print in the Fishwrap of Record?

http://michellemalkin.com/2009/12/02/unbelievable-update-the-crappiest-nytimes-column-on-obamacare-just-got-crappier/

cat slave
12-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Its called deceitful propaganda for political purposes.

I dont know why anyone at all is listening to anything that comes from WA.
Im also starting to think that BO is mentally ill and doesnt understand the
concept of reality....just talk, doesnt matter that it doesnt make sense, just
hes talking and trying to be that rock star so many thought he was at first.

Just blah, blah, blah and he can probably see himself in his teleprompters and
worship his own countenance.....and all.

HogTrash
12-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Miss Michelle Malkin's my main magnificent marvelous majestic mischievous maiden.

Joe Steel
12-05-2009, 08:43 AM
Using nothing more then the basic standards of journlism...

Basic standards of journalism...

"I didn’t merely “claim” that Brodniak was being treated. The Brodniaks, through OHSU, informed me that John Brodniak has been a patient there for three weeks. Not “one appointment.” Not “under ‘observation.’” He has been a patient there for three weeks.

"Note how, once again, Kristof relies solely on Brodniak’s accounts to him (”he says,” “he says,” “it now appears”).

Malkin is doing exactly what she accuse Kristof of doing. She's relying on someone's statements without independent confirmation.

Frankly, though, Kristoff is the more believable. OHSU may, in fact, being doing no more than observation; they didn't list for Malkin any of the procedures they've performed. That's hardly treatment.

Trigg
12-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Malkin is doing exactly what she accuse Kristof of doing. She's relying on someone's statements without independent confirmation.

Frankly, though, Kristoff is the more believable. OHSU may, in fact, being doing no more than observation; they didn't list for Malkin any of the procedures they've performed. That's hardly treatment.

It's called HIPPA, a government agency, the hospital can only release infromation if the patient allows them to.

If the hospital released that he has been being treated for 3 months it's because Brodniak allowed them to say that. He can SUE the hospital if they release any information he doesn't allow.