chloe
12-06-2009, 02:39 PM
based on the descriptions above I pick neither.:cool:

Hagbard Celine
12-06-2009, 11:54 PM
Jew Zombies! Zomg!

Joyful HoneyBee
12-07-2009, 12:07 AM
The saddest thing about being atheist is that when something wonderful happens there is no one to thank.

Hagbard Celine
12-07-2009, 12:18 AM
The saddest thing about being atheist is that when something wonderful happens there is no one to thank.

Wouldn't you just thank the person who made the wonderful happening possible? Of course, if the happening in question was in fact a happenstance and an individual was not responsible for its occurrence then I guess you'd have to thank your lucky stars.

Joyful HoneyBee
12-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Wouldn't you just thank the person who made the wonderful happening possible? Of course, if the happening in question was in fact a happenstance and an individual was not responsible for its occurrence then I guess you'd have to thank your lucky stars.

Of course I would thank any individual who should be thanked....and then i would thank God for them. How about that

Noir
12-07-2009, 05:18 AM

o.O
As a-pose to the invisible best friend Christians have?

inb4 people start getting ratty, this is a topic of the lulz, by the lulz and for the lulz

PostmodernProphet
12-07-2009, 07:24 AM
I saw no lulz....

Noir
12-07-2009, 07:26 AM
I saw no lulz....

Well i'm neva going to a comedy club with you bro,

chloe
12-12-2009, 02:11 PM

me 2

Pericles
12-13-2009, 01:45 AM

No, not at all. We can feel thankful, only if the wonderful thing that happens, happens serendipitously.... for if it happened on purpose, then there's nothing wonder-ful about it... it would only be an unasked-for "favor" whose only purpose is to indebt us; and which results in nothing, ultimately, other than resentment.

Gratitude is real and enduring only because, in the end, there is no one to thank...

sgtdmski
12-13-2009, 02:50 AM
Neither one of the offered definitions make either one appealing, however, how about these definitions:

Christianity, the belief in a higher power, that through his good graces you may be granted eternal life for asking forgiveness of your sins. Through his will you may live your life treating others as though you would want to be treated. Giving charity to those less fortunate, and following a basic moral code.

or

Atheism, the belief that there is no higher power, that ultimately man's morals are based upon his own reason. There are no universal truths, nor is there any existence beyond that which you have in your life.

So tell me, which one would you rather have, the one where in the end you know you are nothing more than worm food? Of the one that in the end you believe that you may have an eternal spritual life?

Tell me which one would you prefer. I believe in Christianity, redemption and life after death. For me to obtain that I have to live a good life, which I attempt to do, but I also have to pray and ask forgiveness, and believe me I need lots of forgiveness for I am far from perfect. But tell me how much does that hurt me, or how much pain or stress or burden does it place on me. Little to none.

If the athiests are right and there is no God, then in the end there is no eternal life and I do not need fear damnation. But nonetheless I have tried to live a good life and I have asked God to forgive my sins.

However, what if the athiests are wrong and there is a God, then what do they look forward to facing for not asking forgiveness????????

If you are going to gamble which one is the safer bet???

dmk

PostmodernProphet
12-13-2009, 07:54 AM
No, not at all. We can feel thankful, only if the wonderful thing that happens, happens serendipitously.... for if it happened on purpose, then there's nothing wonder-ful about it... it would only be an unasked-for "favor" whose only purpose is to indebt us; and which results in nothing, ultimately, other than resentment.

Gratitude is real and enduring only because, in the end, there is no one to thank...

how sadly cynical.....now we know where the Grinch's old soul went when he got the new one......

Noir
12-13-2009, 09:37 AM
Check you out gstdmski, getting all srs in my lulz, well, i guess the thread was going nowhere anyways, so game on ^.^

Neither one of the offered definitions make either one appealing, however, how about these definitions:

Christianity, the belief in a higher power, that through his good graces you may be granted eternal life for asking forgiveness of your sins. Through his will you may live your life treating others as though you would want to be treated. Giving charity to those less fortunate, and following a basic moral code.

You left of the rest...like you better do what he wants you to, or else he will damn you to an eternity of hellfire and damnation ect ect, which ofcourse he created. Also you mention moral code, interesting, a moral code based on religion is not a moral code i would personally like to live by, yes ofcourse there are many positive morals in all religions, but there are also very negitive ones, and they have been used to devastating effect throughout human history.

or

Atheism, the belief that there is no higher power, that ultimately man's morals are based upon his own reason. There are no universal truths, nor is there any existence beyond that which you have in your life.

No universal truths? Er, what about the laws of Mathmatics?

So tell me, which one would you rather have, the one where in the end you know you are nothing more than worm food? Of the one that in the end you believe that you may have an eternal spritual life?

Nothing more than worm food? You have clearly missed the beauty of life.
As for believing in an eternal spritual life, to be honest i could think of no worse a punishment than being anywhere for eternity, heaven or hell, why would you consider it a blessing?

Tell me which one would you prefer. I believe in Christianity, redemption and life after death. For me to obtain that I have to live a good life, which I attempt to do, but I also have to pray and ask forgiveness, and believe me I need lots of forgiveness for I am far from perfect. But tell me how much does that hurt me, or how much pain or stress or burden does it place on me. Little to none.

There you are talking about living a good life...but by who's standards? I would assume by those laid out in the bible...the same ones that where used to justify slavery? the same ones that have lead to countless deaths for non-believers?
I have no doubt that you do live a good life, and that you are on the whole a good person, but would you be a bad person if you did exactly as you do now, but did not believe in a god? and say if you lied to someone, instead of asking a god for forgiveness, asking the person who you lied to for forgiveness?

If the athiests are right and there is no God, then in the end there is no eternal life and I do not need fear damnation. But nonetheless I have tried to live a good life and I have asked God to forgive my sins.

Funny answer is funny.
Why don't you then worship Apollo and Zeus, atfterall if the Greeks were right you'll be spending eternity in the underworld with Hadeas (sp?) Simply using the 'hedging your bets' arguement is silly beond belief.

However, what if the athiests are wrong and there is a God, then what do they look forward to facing for not asking forgiveness????????

Damn i guess your right...i should be a Christian..or a jew...or a Muslim...or a Hindu...or ect ect.

If you are going to gamble which one is the safer bet???

I'm just gonna live my life to the full babe, and when alls said and done who knows, maybe we'll be able to meet for a coffee in Hadeas' Underworld.