PDA

View Full Version : New Study Reveals Most Children Unrepentant Sociopaths

crin63
12-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Here's a good reason to raise your kid with Christian values and with Biblical methods of training up kids.

New Study Reveals Most Children Unrepentant Sociopaths

December 7, 2009 | Issue 45•50

MINNEAPOLIS—A study published Monday in The Journal Of Child Psychology And Psychiatry has concluded that an estimated 98 percent of children under the age of 10 are remorseless sociopaths with little regard for anything other than their own egocentric interests and pleasures.
Enlarge Image New Study

Data shows that many seemingly innocent children—such as this one—are not to be trusted.

According to Dr. Leonard Mateo, a developmental psychologist at the University of Minnesota and lead author of the study, most adults are completely unaware that they could be living among callous monsters who would remorselessly exploit them to obtain something as insignificant as an ice cream cone or a new toy.

"The most disturbing facet of this ubiquitous childhood disorder is an utter lack of empathy," Mateo said. "These people—if you can even call them that—deliberately violate every social norm without ever pausing to consider how their selfish behavior might affect others. It's as if they have no concept of anyone but themselves."

"The depths of depravity that these tiny psychopaths are capable of reaching are really quite chilling," Mateo added.

According to the Hare Psychopathy Checklist, a clinical diagnostic tool, sociopaths often display superficial charm, pathological lying, manipulative behaviors, and a grandiose sense of self-importance. After observing 700 children engaged in everyday activities, Mateo and his colleagues found that 684 exhibited these behaviors at a severe or profound level.

The children studied also displayed many secondary hallmarks of antisocial personality disorder, most notably poor impulse control, an inability to plan ahead, and a proclivity for violence—often in the form of extended tantrums—when their needs were not immediately met.

"Children will use any tool at their disposal to secure gratification," Mateo said. "And as soon as the desire is fulfilled, be it some material want or simply an insatiable and narcissistic desire for validation, they quickly become bored and lose interest in their victims, all the while thinking only of satisfying whatever their next hedonistic craving might be."

Mateo added that even when subjects were directly confronted with the consequences of their inexplicable behavior, they had little or no capacity for expressing guilt, other than insincere utterances of "sorry" that were usually coerced.

Because children are so skilled at mimicking normal human emotions and will say anything without consideration for accuracy or truth, Mateo said that people often don't realize that they've been exploited until it is too late. Though he maintained that anyone can fall victim to a child's egocentric behavior, Mateo warned that grandmothers were especially susceptible to the self- serving machinations of tiny little sociopaths.

Despite the overwhelming evidence presented in the study, its findings have been met with heavy criticism from people who associate with children on a regular basis.

Batavia, NY resident and 38-year-old mother Mary Corcoran echoed the sentiments of many other adults who refuse to believe they are sharing their homes with merciless predators.

"Not my Jimmy. Just this morning, he told me I was the best mommy in the whole world," Corcoran said of her son, 5. "In fact, he's been such a sweet little boy this month that Santa just may bring him everything he asks for."

According to renowned child psychologist Dr. Pritha Singh, author of Born Without Souls, diagnosing preadolecents as sociopaths is primarily a theoretical interest, as the disorder is considered untreatable.

"We've tried behavior modification therapies, but children actually learn from our techniques and become even more adept at manipulating others while concealing their shameless misanthropy," Singh said. "Sadly, experience has taught us there is little hope for rehabilitation."

"Just look at the way most adults act," Singh added.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/new_study_reveals_most_children

SassyLady
12-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Though he maintained that anyone can fall victim to a child's egocentric behavior, Mateo warned that grandmothers were especially susceptible to the self- serving machinations of tiny little sociopaths.

Unfortunately, parents will reinforce the victimization of grandparents. When I talk to my son-in-law or daugther about the bad behavior of my grandson and attempt to implement punishment, I'm told that they are the parents and they will do the punishment, therefore, my grandson learns how to get what he wants (he's 7). This summer, because I was not allowed to punish him, I just ignored him (when he was being loving and cute) and I was put on the spot by my daughter and SIL. I explained to them that my attention would not only be the loving, kind grandmother, but I needed to also be a firm, disciplinarian also one who sets boundaries and consequences and if they didn't like that, then there was no point in me being around my grandson. After soul searching discussions, they understood and agreed, that if I were going to be around the grandchildren they must understand that they were not always going to be spoiled.

I think it is one of my most important jobs at this time - to teach my grandchildren that there are rewards and consequences for all behavior............and to help them understand the difference between what is acceptable and unacceptable.

When my grandchildren do something unacceptable they are punished and are given time to reflect on their behavior and until they can articulate what they did and why it is wrong, they are not allowed to say "sorry". They also have to explain what they will do different if the situation comes up again and we talk about whether that behavior is appropriate. Sometimes it isn't.......(example: grandson said I won't bite next time, I'll just kick him - NOOOOOOOO!! Try again).

Anyway, it's a full time job teaching children the difference between right and wrong and today is even harder because we are combatting a never-ending bombardment of outside influence, mostly bad.

crin63
12-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Unfortunately, parents will reinforce the victimization of grandparents. When I talk to my son-in-law or daugther about the bad behavior of my grandson and attempt to implement punishment, I'm told that they are the parents and they will do the punishment, therefore, my grandson learns how to get what he wants (he's 7). This summer, because I was not allowed to punish him, I just ignored him (when he was being loving and cute) and I was put on the spot by my daughter and SIL. I explained to them that my attention would not only be the loving, kind grandmother, but I needed to also be a firm, disciplinarian also one who sets boundaries and consequences and if they didn't like that, then there was no point in me being around my grandson. After soul searching discussions, they understood and agreed, that if I were going to be around the grandchildren they must understand that they were not always going to be spoiled.

I think it is one of my most important jobs at this time - to teach my grandchildren that there are rewards and consequences for all behavior............and to help them understand the difference between what is acceptable and unacceptable.

When my grandchildren do something unacceptable they are punished and are given time to reflect on their behavior and until they can articulate what they did and why it is wrong, they are not allowed to say "sorry". They also have to explain what they will do different if the situation comes up again and we talk about whether that behavior is appropriate. Sometimes it isn't.......(example: grandson said I won't bite next time, I'll just kick him - NOOOOOOOO!! Try again).

Anyway, it's a full time job teaching children the difference between right and wrong and today is even harder because we are combatting a never-ending bombardment of outside influence, mostly bad.

I have to agree with you.

My sister-in-law and her dimwitted husband never disciplined their daughter. They either screamed at her when she got on their nerves or catered to her every whim, 1 extreme or the other. No one could do anything even remotely close discipline or the girl would become hysterical (to manipulate and get her way). I quit allowing her to come to my home. No child is coming into my home that I cant discipline as I see necessary.

Me and my wife used to take care of a friends kids after school when her husband bailed on them. The kids resented me and my wife for making them do things they didn't want to do like chores and treat adults with respect. Recently the 20 year old boy and the 17 year old girl both told their mom that neither of them would have achieved any of the things they have if not for our teaching them to work. The boy is an assistant manager where he works and his sister is getting ready to graduate high school with an honors degree. I find it somewhat satisfying that they came to the conclusions that they did.

HogTrash
12-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Here's a good reason to raise your kid with Christian values and with Biblical methods of training up kids.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/new_study_reveals_most_childrenEven though I cannot in all honesty call myself a practicing, church attending Christian, I agree with you 100%.

Our children were much happier, respectful, well mannered, better disciplined and self-disciplined when they were taught Christian values.

BoogyMan
12-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Parents have stopped parenting, period. They can't seem to wait until they can toss a child into the public school meatgrinder so that they can be raised by proxy and the parent doesn't have to do any of the icky and uncomfortable stuff like discipline.

It is all about "me." My needs, my wants, my values, my rules.....there is no such thing as conscience as long as "me" is taken care of.

HogTrash
12-07-2009, 07:56 PM

Anyway, it's a full time job teaching children the difference between right and wrong and today is even harder because we are combatting a never-ending bombardment of outside influence, mostly bad.Your resolution will be a great benefit to your grand-son and his future but will continue to annoy his mommy and daddy at times.

Your daughter and sil will come to realize the benefits of your influence, especially when they become grandparents themselves.

Your grandson will definately remember when he becomes a man and will praise your actions and cherrish the memory of your love.

I had such a grandmother myself.....He is a lucky boy.

SassyLady
12-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Your resolution will be a great benefit to your grand-son and his future but will continue to annoy his mommy and daddy at times.

Your daughter and sil will come to realize the benefits of your influence, especially when they become grandparents themselves.

Your grandson will definately remember when he becomes a man and will praise your actions and cherrish the memory of your love.

I had such a grandmother myself.....He is a lucky boy.

Thank you HT!!!

They can't seem to wait until they can toss a child into the public school meatgrinder so that they can be raised by proxy and the parent doesn't have to do any of the icky and uncomfortable stuff like discipline.

And those that do discipline their kids are hampered by the liberal educators of our country telling us that we are abusing our children when we discipline them.

Do any of you remember when getting sent to the principals office meant you got your behind smacked?!!

Children today are allowed to be disrespectful to their teachers and that carrys over to their treatment of all adults. And, when I was a kid...........any adult was allowed to call you on the carpet and dress you down when they thought you were being disrespectful.

So...........yes, putting kids in school, we've abdicated our own responsibility by letting the educators dictate how our children are taught. They are usually in school more than they are with us and therefore we have less time to catch and correct poor behavior patterns. My daughter and SIL will never put their children in a public school for that very reason; private school teachers are more accountable to the parents and not protected by the government and unions.

Agnapostate
12-08-2009, 07:16 AM
LOL Onion. :D

CSM
12-09-2009, 08:03 AM
we needed a study to tell us that children are self centered?????

Agnapostate
12-09-2009, 09:23 AM
No, but you apparently need awareness that the Onion isn't a serious publication. ;)

HogTrash
12-09-2009, 09:31 AM
No, but you apparently need awareness that the Onion isn't a serious publication. ;)Neither are you. :ahole:

Monkeybone
12-09-2009, 09:35 AM
No, but you apparently need awareness that the Onion isn't a serious publication. ;)

the sad thing is that even being from the Onion, it is still trueish

Agnapostate
12-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Neither are you. :ahole:

HogWash, I'm glad to see you elevating the coherence of your posts. At first, I thought you were some kind of intellectual lightweight or something. ;)

the sad thing is that even being from the Onion, it is still trueish

Not really. While every generation has found pleasure in attacking the emerging one, youth violent crime rates have actually declined over the past two decades.

HogTrash
12-09-2009, 11:20 AM
HogWash, I'm glad to see you elevating the coherence of your posts. At first, I thought you were some kind of intellectual lightweight or something. ;)
Sometimes it is more productive to to take a knee when stressing a point to a child.

CSM
12-09-2009, 11:28 AM

You mean it's not real???? well gorsh yuck yuck...Hard to tell nowadays aint it?

Agnapostate
12-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Sometimes it is more productive to to take a knee when stressing a point to a child.

I was wondering when you'd finally understand that you should kneel before me.

You mean it's not real???? well gorsh yuck yuck...Hard to tell nowadays aint it?

Sadly, yes.

HogTrash
12-09-2009, 12:24 PM
I was wondering when you'd finally understand that you should kneel before me.

Why am I not surprised at your ignorance of an analogy?!

After all, you know so very little about everything else as well.

Agnapostate
12-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Why am I not surprised at your ignorance of an analogy?!

After all, you know so very little about everything else as well.

Why am I not surprised at your ignorance of my reversal of your attempt at an analogy? :slap: