PDA

View Full Version : Snow?

Kathianne
12-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Looks like we're about to get a bunch! Let's hope tomorrow I'm nice and cozy in my hotel room! :coffee: They've upped the totals on forecasts this morning, but I think this is probably ok anyways. Also winds for tomorrow were upped to 50+mph. :eek:

As of 3:39 am CST on December 8, 2009

Today...Cloudy. Light snow likely until late afternoon...then widespread light snow...light rain and a chance of light sleet late in the afternoon. Snow and sleet accumulation up to 1 inch. Blustery. Highs in the mid 30s. Southeast winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 30 mph at times. Chance of precipitation 90 percent.

Tonight...Widespread light snow and a chance of sleet in the evening...then widespread snow after midnight. Snow and sleet accumulation of 3 to 5 inches. Blustery. Temperatures nearly steady in the lower 30s. East winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 30 mph at times in the evening becoming southeast 10 to 15 mph... then shifting to the southwest during the predawn hours. Chance of precipitation 100 percent.

Wednesday...Windy. Widespread light snow until late afternoon... then a chance of light snow showers late in the afternoon. Areas of blowing snow in the afternoon. Snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches. Total snow accumulation 4 to 8 inches. Turning sharply colder. Highs in the lower 30s. Then temperatures falling into the mid 20s by evening. West winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 35 mph at times. Chance of precipitation 90 percent.

crin63
12-08-2009, 08:14 AM
The grapevine (interstate 5, north of L.A.) was closed here overnight in So. Cal due to snow. It rained for about 12 straight hours yesterday. I don't know which way this storm is headed but its cold and wet.

Kathianne
12-08-2009, 08:16 AM
The grapevine (interstate 5, north of L.A.) was closed here overnight in So. Cal due to snow. It rained for about 12 straight hours yesterday. I don't know which way this storm is headed but its cold and wet.

I just know that yesterday it sounded like a mess, today it's looking more like big snow and very high winds. I sure hope it's enough to cancel school, it sounds like it'll be a bear to drive through.

crin63
12-08-2009, 08:40 AM
I just know that yesterday it sounded like a mess, today it's looking more like big snow and very high winds. I sure hope it's enough to cancel school, it sounds like it'll be a bear to drive through.

The 2 times I went out yesterday it was 48 degrees, that was 9am and 5pm.

hjmick
12-08-2009, 12:03 PM
So far just high winds, rain, and some hail here. They are talking about snow, however.

darin
12-08-2009, 05:06 PM
This sucks. We've got NOTHING. :( :( Were promised up to 4" of snow. We're getting the 'up to' amount :(

Trigg
12-08-2009, 06:37 PM
We've got sleet right now.

I'd much rather have just snow, it's easier to drive in.

I'm hoping they delay school tomorrow. No such luck for work though, hospitals never close and the old people just leave earlier for their appointments.

It's strange the older the patient the more likely they'll keep their appointment especially if it's for a mammogram???? I don't get it. It's not an emergency that they make it, but come hell or high water those old ladies will try.

hjmick
12-08-2009, 08:20 PM
The view from my front yard this evening. Just a light dusting on the mountains. I have not yet run them through Photoshop...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/hjmc3rd/IMG_1169.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/hjmc3rd/IMG_1170.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/hjmc3rd/IMG_1172.jpg

red states rule
12-09-2009, 12:45 AM
We have several inches already. I left work at 10PM and it took 2 1/2 hours to go 65 miles

I saw only 2 plows and the main road in Chambersburg has not been touched

All snow - so sleet as of yet

Kathianne
12-09-2009, 02:12 AM
We have several inches already. I left work at 10PM and it took 2 1/2 hours to go 65 miles

Ours fizzled. Just the icky mess. Should be great driving in a few hours:

Issued by the National Weather Service at 11:20 PM CST on December 8, 2009

Rain and snow will continue through 1 am CST. Most of the precipitation will be rain with an occasional burst of light snow. The rain will decrease in intensity to periods of light rain. The temperature will remain in the middle 30s.

Current conditions
As of 12:51 AM CST
at Chicago, Illinois

Light Rain
Temperature: 35°
Wind chill: 27°
Wind: ESE 12 mph
Dewpoint: 33°
Humidity: 92%
Visibility: 3.0 miles
Forecast
As of 12:58 am CST on December 9, 2009

Rest of Tonight...Occasional rain and sleet. Little or no new sleet accumulation. Blustery. Temperatures nearly steady in the mid 30s. South winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph at times. Chance of precipitation 100 percent.

Wednesday...Very windy. Cloudy. Rain early in the morning. Snow in the morning...then a chance of light snow in the afternoon. Blowing snow in the afternoon. Snow accumulation up to 2 inches. Highs in the mid 30s. Then temperatures falling into the lower 20s by evening. West winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts up to 45 mph at times. Chance of precipitation 80 percent.

Mr. P
12-09-2009, 02:35 AM
Ours fizzled. Just the icky mess. Should be great driving in a few hours:

You were right on the line..I looked at aviation forecast maps at 1pm after I saw your post and you were sleet/freezing rain. WI should have gotten snow.

Kathianne
12-09-2009, 02:43 AM
You were right on the line..I looked at aviation forecast maps at 1pm after I saw your post and you were sleet/freezing rain. WI should have gotten snow.

Such a bummer. :laugh2: Now gotta figure out lesson plans. ;)

Mr. P
12-09-2009, 02:45 AM
Such a bummer. :laugh2: Now gotta figure out lesson plans. ;)

Cheer up..there's more a comin..:laugh2:

red states rule
12-09-2009, 09:04 AM
We got about 4 inches, a little ice, and now the rain is coming

Looks like a monster of a storm out west

I have to admire these weather guys. They can say with confidence NY City will be under water in 50 years when the ice caps melt away, but they can't tell us with much accuracy what will happen in the next 12 hours

Jeff
12-09-2009, 09:47 AM

RSR it only got worse the further north ya went, just above Harrisburg I ran into a complete white out, I just slowly drifted to the left and waited to hit the ditch, 2 trucks passed me on the right and one said something smart, and immediately said OMG I can't see a F***ing thing, the weathermen were saying it was blizzard conditions, no visibility at all

But On a positive note I meet Al Gore last night we made a snowman up in Mountain top PA, LOL, he was then heading west for a little snow skiing :laugh2:

Trigg
12-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Tonight
Cold. Cloudy with chance of snow showers in the evening...then mostly cloudy with chance of flurries after midnight. Windy. Lows around 10. West winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. Chance of snow 50 percent. Wind chills 8 below to 2 above zero.

I highlighted the really scary part. 8 below yuck yuck yuck

cooking chilli and cornbread as I type...at least my tummy will be warm

Kathianne
12-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Now it's snowing like crazy and the temps are dropping like rocks. That part they got right! An hour ago it was 34, it's 21 now. Wind chills tonight below
-20F. Winds are ridiculous, topping out around 50 mph. Brrrr.

darin
12-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Kath you're making me jealous in a big way. :(

Here's all we got last night - yes the clock in the Nav reads "3:32" (am). I woke up at 2:45 but was too geeked-out happy to sleep...so I went for a drive.

http://www.d-mphotos.com/images/snow_driving_LGT.jpg

Was enough to send a plow truck off course, though. My subaru had little trouble.

http://www.d-mphotos.com/images/plow_truck.jpg

Kathianne
12-09-2009, 07:24 PM
What was that last pic? Looks not good. The snow pics are not looking all that different than around here. Just covering, now blowing with winds at like 40mph, and rising.

Brrr, Temps are now in low teens. Like rocks, are the temps.

Trigg
12-09-2009, 07:34 PM
It's so cold right now that when I opened the door to let my little dog out he backed up. :laugh2: Now that's cold.

My big harry Aussie ran out and started rolling in the snow.

Kathianne
12-09-2009, 07:36 PM
It's so cold right now that when I opened the door to let my little dog out he backed up. :laugh2: Now that's cold.

My big harry Aussie ran out and started rolling in the snow.

Yeah, my toy Daschund too! Really doesn't want out! LOL!

darin
12-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Some storm THAT turned out to be :( :(

here's this morning's drive out of the neighborhood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM4dhsOrpgc

Kathianne
12-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Darin, you don''t roll through stops, you blast through! LOL! Did I tell you of the day I got stopped twice in less than 5 minutes for rolling stops? :laugh2:

Trigg
12-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Some storm THAT turned out to be :( :(

here's this morning's drive out of the neighborhood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM4dhsOrpgc

Maybe it's just me but aren't you supposed to stop at those red octagonal signs that say STOP?????:poke:

If you want more snow you need to move closer to Kalamazoo, Holland or anywhere closer to Lake Michigan.

darin
12-10-2009, 08:34 PM
I always roll through when it's safer than stopping! :D

Yeah - if I had a job on the west side of the state, I'd go. :)