PDA

View Full Version : Court constricts W.Va. wind farm to protect bats

BoogyMan
12-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Egads, I have always said the environmentalists wanted us all living in caves and subservient to "nature." This sure goes a long way toward validating that view.

Source Link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/09/AR2009120904106.html?hpid=sec-metro)

In a rare green vs. green court case, a federal judge in Maryland has halted expansion of a West Virginia wind farm, saying its massive turbines would kill endangered Indiana bats.

U.S. District Judge Roger W. Titus ruled that Chicago-based Invenergy can complete 40 windmills it has begun to install on an Appalachian ridge in Greenbrier County. But he said the company cannot move forward on the $300 million project -- slated to have 122 turbines along a 23-mile stretch -- without a special permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

"Like death and taxes, there is a virtual certainty that Indiana bats will be harmed, wounded, or killed imminently by the Beech Ridge Project," Titus wrote in a 74-page opinion. "The development of wind energy can and should be encouraged, but wind turbines must be good neighbors."

The lawsuit in Greenbelt is the first court challenge to wind power under the Endangered Species Act, but as wind and solar farms rapidly expand nationwide, similar battles are playing out. Officials and environmentalists are working to find a balance between the benefits of clean energy and the impact on birds, bats and even the water supply.

.: Read the rest of this article :. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/09/AR2009120904106.html?hpid=sec-metro)

Gaffer
12-11-2009, 12:07 PM
A WV wind farm and they are worried about Indiana bats? WTF.

PostmodernProphet
12-11-2009, 09:12 PM
A WV wind farm and they are worried about Indiana bats? WTF.

that's why they got a Maryland judge to hear the case.....so he wouldn't realize WV wasn't in Indiana.....

MtnBiker
12-12-2009, 04:04 PM
We should just dismantle every modern convienence introduce to man in the last 400 years.

For one thing it would end the absurd healthcare debate.

sgtdmski
12-13-2009, 03:03 AM
What amazes me the most about our environmental wacko friends is how little that they actually think ahead. Like BoogyMan, I believe that they want us all living in caves and subservient to "nature", while running around naked.

Now being a single adult male, the running around naked part I would not mind that much. However, do they ever really think the rest of it through.

Gone are the supermarkets, no more getting your groceries at the store, that means growing your own, have you ever done it???? I have!!!!

And if your are looking for real substinence, meat, my God, have you ever shot a gun before???? I have!!! Not too mention I have used said gun to provide food for my table.

Have you ever fished before? What about crabbing?? Shrimping??? Guess what, I have.

That's right, I hope the environmental wackos get their way, for the true Southerners, Mid Westerners, Pacific Northwesterners, and us Alaskans will all be living pretty. Whereas, those city dwellers, well they would either be starving or making me extremely rich!!!

dmk

Kathianne
12-13-2009, 06:38 AM
More bowing to the EPA. There was a time I thought it a 'good' agency, now it's worse than the IRS.

cat slave
12-14-2009, 02:06 AM
What amazes me the most about our environmental wacko friends is how little that they actually think ahead. Like BoogyMan, I believe that they want us all living in caves and subservient to "nature", while running around naked.

Now being a single adult male, the running around naked part I would not mind that much. However, do they ever really think the rest of it through.

Gone are the supermarkets, no more getting your groceries at the store, that means growing your own, have you ever done it???? I have!!!!

And if your are looking for real substinence, meat, my God, have you ever shot a gun before???? I have!!! Not too mention I have used said gun to provide food for my table.

Have you ever fished before? What about crabbing?? Shrimping??? Guess what, I have.

That's right, I hope the environmental wackos get their way, for the true Southerners, Mid Westerners, Pacific Northwesterners, and us Alaskans will all be living pretty. Whereas, those city dwellers, well they would either be starving or making me extremely rich!!!

dmk

Thats when they will spread into the rural areas to pillage and plunder.

Remote is good! Hills are good! Good ole boys with lots of fire power are
good! Ive got a friend whose husband makes his own ammo.

Survivalists dont look so weird anymore.