PDA

View Full Version : Houston biggest US city to elect openly gay mayor

chloe
12-13-2009, 09:53 PM
HOUSTON -- Houston became the largest U.S. city to elect an openly gay mayor, with voters handing a solid victory to City Controller Annise Parker after a hotly contested runoff.
Several other U.S. cities, including Portland, Ore., Providence, R.I., and Cambridge, Mass., have openly gay mayors, but none are as large as Houston.

"This election has changed the world for the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered community. Just as it is about transforming the lives of all Houstonians for the better, and that's what my administration will be about," Parker told supporters after her opponent, Gene Locke, conceded defeat.

Parker's victory comes after several setbacks for gay rights activists. New York lawmakers earlier this month rejected a bill that would have made their state the sixth to allow gay marriage. In November, Maine voters repealed the Legislature's passage of a state law allowing same-sex marriage there.

Parker, 53, has never made a secret or an issue of her sexual orientation. But it became the focus of the race after anti-gay activists and conservative religious groups endorsed Locke and sent out mailers condemning Parker's "homosexual behavior."

Locke, 61, a former city attorney, tried to distance himself from the anti-gay attacks while courting conservative voters who could tip the election in his favor. Meanwhile, gay and lesbian political organizations nationwide rallied to support Parker by raising money for her campaign and making calls urging people to vote.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/12/13/general-us-houston-mayor_7206154.html

HogTrash
12-13-2009, 11:03 PM
This is the result of the large minority population who prefers a nanny government that is always promised by the Democrat Party candidates, even if it means sacrificing morality for sick perversion.

Is it any wonder our children are so screwed up in these "liberated" times?...America has been in a down spiral since the 1960's...The world we passed to our children is not the one my parents passed to me.

The land of the free and the home of the brave was lost on our watch folks...Time is running out but we might still salvage a future for our children if we make the right choices in 2010 and 2012...last chance!

If no one is taking me seriously well, could the last American please turn out the lights and leave the key under the mat for the new owners...Thankyou.

stephanie
12-14-2009, 10:04 AM
why do we need to know about a persons sexuality when it comes to a homosexual being elected any position?

why do I need to know she like to do other women...it's like they are someone "special" and we all need to know about it..

first they tell us to keep out of their bedrooms then it seems that is all we hear about these people in screaming headlines..

crin63
12-14-2009, 10:39 AM
This is the result of the large minority population who prefers a nanny government that is always promised by the Democrat Party candidates, even if it means sacrificing morality for sick perversion.

Is it any wonder our children are so screwed up in these "liberated" times?...America has been in a down spiral since the 1960's...The world we passed to our children is not the one my parents passed to me.

The land of the free and the home of the brave was lost on our watch folks...Time is running out but we might still salvage a future for our children if we make the right choices in 2010 and 2012...last chance!

If no one is taking me seriously well, could the last American please turn out the lights and leave the key under the mat for the new owners...Thankyou.

Hog, you're moving up fast on my list of favorite DP'ers. I have to agree with you again.

This is going to make Texans hate Californians even more than they do already. Texans have been complaining about all the Californians flocking to their major cities because they knew this kind of crap was going to happen to them. They knew Californians would pollute their state. Whether this is true in this case or not they will blame it on Californians and rightly so I must add. Alot of the people fleeing California in droves because its to expensive to live will go and pollute the other states that they are moving too. They will try to modernize those backwards states and in the end they turn them into bastardized Californias.