PDA

View Full Version : Couch has 'offensive' slur in the LABEL :)

darin
04-19-2007, 04:59 PM
I actually giggled a bit when I read this!

TORONTO -- Doris Moore was shocked when her new couch was delivered to her home with a label that used a racial slur to describe the dark brown shade of the upholstery.

The situation was even more alarming for Moore because it was her 7-year-old daughter who pointed out "nigger brown" on the tag.

"My daughter saw the label and she knew the color brown, but didn't know what the other word meant. She asked, 'Mommy, what color is that?' I was stunned. I didn't know what to say. I never thought that's how she'd learn of that word," Moore said.

The mother complained to the furniture store, which blamed the supplier, who pointed to a computer problem as the source of the derogatory label

Kingsoft Corp., a Chinese software company, acknowledged its translation program was at fault and said it was a regrettable error.

"I know this is a very bad word," Huang Luoyi, a product manager for the Beijing-based company's translation software, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

He explained that when the Chinese characters for "dark brown" are typed into an older version of its Chinese-English translation software, the offensive N-word description comes up.

"We got the definition from a Chinese-English dictionary. We've been using the dictionary for 10 years. Maybe the dictionary was updated, but we probably didn't follow suit," he said.

Moore, who is black, said Kingsoft's acknowledgment of a mistake doesn't make her feel better.

"They should know what they are typing, even if it is a software error," she said. "In order for something to come into the country, don't they read it first? Doesn't the manufacturer? The supplier?"
Moore is consulting with a lawyer and wants compensation. (emphasis mine, dp)
Read the rest:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1101AP_Canada_Couch_Racial_Slur.html

And WHAT THE HELL? That woman is an EMBARRASSMENT not only to black people, such as myself, but to ALL people. She wants to get PAID cuz she had to read the word 'nigger' - which was the product of a translation error? C'mon...are you kidding me? That woman should have her kids removed from her custody, because she's an idiot.

KitchenKitten99
04-19-2007, 05:04 PM
she's obviously never been to www.engrish.com ...

stephanie
04-19-2007, 05:05 PM
I read about this awhile back over at Du...
They even had a picture of the woman holding up the offensive tag....:laugh2:

Like John Stossel says............GIVE ME A BREAK..:slap:

Mr. P
04-19-2007, 05:11 PM
I actually giggled a bit when I read this!

And WHAT THE HELL? That woman is an EMBARRASSMENT not only to black people, such as myself, but to ALL people. She wants to get PAID cuz she had to read the word 'nigger' - which was the product of a translation error? C'mon...are you kidding me? That woman should have her kids removed from her custody, because she's an idiot.

Hope she doesn't watch Leno, he puts these packaging/label 'errors' on-air all the time. Funny stuff.

Abbey Marie
04-19-2007, 05:18 PM
Chinglish strikes again!

Give the woman a new tag for her couch that says Dark Brown. Compensation complete.

stephanie
04-19-2007, 05:26 PM
Chinglish strikes again!

Give the woman a new tag for her couch that says Dark Brown. Compensation complete.

:lol: :clap:

-Cp
04-19-2007, 05:27 PM
That's IT I'm seeking legal council about sueing Nabisco for making Saltine "Crackers" and "Cheese Nips" (The japaneese in me is offended by that one)...

I bet I could settle out of court for about 10mil?

Abbey Marie
04-19-2007, 05:28 PM
That's IT I'm seeking legal council about sueing Nabisco for making Saltine "Crackers" and "Cheese Nips" (The japaneese in my is offended by that one)...

:laugh2: Let's not forget Oreos.

darin
04-19-2007, 05:30 PM
That's IT I'm seeking legal council about suing Nabisco for making Saltine "Crackers" and "Cheese Nips" (The Japanese in me is offended by that one)...

Only if you lemme get in on it :)

-Cp
04-19-2007, 05:31 PM
when she contacted the store the manager should of said...."Oh Nigga Please"

Abbey Marie
04-19-2007, 05:34 PM
She clearly wanted to "couch" this in racial terms. ;)

stephanie
04-19-2007, 05:43 PM
This is the part in the article that cracks me up...

Moore, 30, has three young children, and said the issue has taken a toll on her family.

"Something more has to be done. We don't just need a personal apology, but someone needs to own up to where these labels were made, and someone needs to apologize to all people of color," Moore said. "I had friends over from St. Lucia yesterday and they wouldn't sit on the couch."

:cuckoo:

shattered
04-19-2007, 05:44 PM
This is the part in the article that cracks me up...

Moore, 30, has three young children, and said the issue has taken a toll on her family.

"Something more has to be done. We don't just need a personal apology, but someone needs to own up to where these labels were made, and someone needs to apologize to all people of color," Moore said. "I had friends over from St. Lucia yesterday and they wouldn't sit on the couch."

:cuckoo:

If it was so damned offensive, why didn't she cut the damned label off before said company got there?

Abbey Marie
04-19-2007, 05:47 PM
If it was so damned offensive, why didn't she cut the damned label off before said company got there?

She's building her case for more damages, as her lawyer most certainly has advised her.

stephanie
04-19-2007, 05:49 PM

I think she should take the couch and burn the offensive thing..
Maybe that will make her feel...better..:laugh2:

shattered
04-19-2007, 05:50 PM
I think she should take the couch and burn the offensive thing..
Maybe that will make her feel...better..:laugh2:

Well, she can't. She needs something to sit on...while she's waiting to collect millions for a couch she's obviously going to keep.

Mr. P
04-19-2007, 05:52 PM
She's building her case for more damages, as her lawyer most certainly has advised her.

Ain't that the truth!

04-19-2007, 08:31 PM
That's IT I'm seeking legal council about sueing Nabisco for making Saltine "Crackers" and "Cheese Nips" (The japaneese in me is offended by that one)...

If you give me a couple months id be more than happy to represent you... lol

04-19-2007, 08:32 PM

yeah, but she has a responsibility to mitigate damages. if she makes them worse than she has no right to them. not that there are much damages to begin with.

Mr. P
04-19-2007, 08:37 PM
yeah, but she has a responsibility to mitigate damages. if she makes them worse than she has no right to them. not that there are much damages to begin with.

Zip actually.

stephanie
04-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Here's her claim for damages....Moore said. "I had friends over from St. Lucia yesterday and they wouldn't sit on the couch."
:laugh2:

Mr. P
04-19-2007, 08:58 PM
Here's her claim for damages....Moore said. "I had friends over from St. Lucia yesterday and they wouldn't sit on the couch."
:laugh2:

Like the tags ALWAYS show right? Not on anything I've ever bought. :laugh2:

Can't cut em off though..."UNDER PENALTY OF LAW".:laugh2:

stephanie
04-19-2007, 09:03 PM

:laugh2: It was years before I would cut off a tag, because of those four words above.........:laugh2:

manu1959
04-19-2007, 09:03 PM
maybe it was a typo... Niger Brown ... to commeorate africa

04-20-2007, 05:28 AM
Like the tags ALWAYS show right? Not on anything I've ever bought. :laugh2:

I thought that was just in the store:p

Nienna
04-20-2007, 06:44 AM
maybe it was a typo... Niger Brown ... to commeorate africa

That crossed my mind, also. :)

shattered
04-20-2007, 06:55 AM
That crossed my mind, also. :)

Shh! A simple double keystroke (MY keyboard even does that) isn't likely to get one nearly as much money as someone purposely letting such a tragic error escape quality control.

Hagbard Celine
04-20-2007, 10:08 AM
I assume the intended label was "negro," meaning "black" right? Talk about hyper-sensitivity. This is why I don't take most black people seriously.

Trigg
04-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Good lord people sure are traumatized easily these days.

Abbey Marie
04-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Good lord people sure are traumatized easily these days.

Yes, traumatized by the lack of punitive damages in their bank accounts. :rolleyes:

Trigg
04-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Yes, traumatized by the lack of punitive damages in their bank accounts. :rolleyes:

I know, geez have the store replace the couch, all done, no more offensive lable.

Bunch of whinny babies these days. After all there was an explination.

-Cp
04-21-2007, 04:17 PM
If you give me a couple months id be more than happy to represent you... lol

How? Are you going thru law school?

Kathianne
04-21-2007, 04:18 PM

He's in his last year, I believe.

04-21-2007, 06:00 PM

No, Im finishing it:-D