PDA

View Full Version : Susan Powell's husband refuses further West Valley City police interviews

chloe
12-15-2009, 09:05 PM
r7p8DcqH4yg

Investigators on Tuesday said Joshua Powell's refusal to meet with them has hampered efforts to find his missing wife.
West Valley Police Capt. Tom McLachlan called the refusal to talk about Susan Powell's disappearance "very, very disappointing."
"It's hindering our ability to investigate this case," McLachlan said. "We will attempt to negotiate through his attorney for another interview, but for now there are no plans for one."
Joshua Powell met twice with police twice last week, but changed course Monday when he refused a third interview and hired defense attorney Scott Williams to represent him. Williams could not be reached for comment Wednesday, and police aren't calling Joshua Powell a suspect in the case.
But friends of Susan Powell filled some of Tuesday's silence with details about how the couple met, and long-simmering difficulties in their marriage.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14000824

chloe
12-15-2009, 09:08 PM
N0tjwX143l4

awSMVXYaHHU

Kathianne
12-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Our local case, that has been carried nationally and beyond.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/genevasun/news/1931156,4_1_JO10_PETERSON_S1-091210.article

Kathianne
12-15-2009, 09:36 PM
How likely is it that dad decided to take two toddlers or rather an infant and toddler camping at 12am or so?

How likely they would make more of this than a day or so?

What type of person, much less a spouse, would leave another sick and take off with two babies camping in a van in less than freezing temps?

Why are the police suspicious?

chloe
12-15-2009, 09:42 PM
How likely is it that dad decided to take two toddlers or rather an infant and toddler camping at 12am or so?

How likely they would make more of this than a day or so?

What type of person, much less a spouse, would leave another sick and take off with two babies camping in a van in less than freezing temps?

Why are the police suspicious?

oh the husband seems so out of it, on the first interview and if you check our weather last week it was like 9 degrees outside why would he take his toddlers camping at 12:30am in that? The interview with Susan's dad breaks my heart you can tell the father is just anguished.

LmYkfqW0TUI

chloe
12-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Our local case, that has been carried nationally and beyond.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/genevasun/news/1931156,4_1_JO10_PETERSON_S1-091210.article

so they never found the body of the 4th wife?

Kathianne
12-15-2009, 09:54 PM
so they never found the body of the 4th wife?

Not yet. Thought the inside scoop says the cops; locally, county, and state are dying to hit him. This may actually be a case of the police being afraid of ties.

Jeff
12-15-2009, 09:58 PM
This guy is Guilty as hell, just the way he answered his questions in the first interview shows he is hiding something

What a shame, poor kids will grow up and think of this every year at Christmas time

chloe
12-15-2009, 10:06 PM
This guy is Guilty as hell, just the way he answered his questions in the first interview shows he is hiding something

What a shame, poor kids will grow up and think of this every year at Christmas time

I think he could have killed her, but then he seemed weird in his interview like his eyes shifted as if he thinks he is being watched....maybe someone did take his wife, maybe he owes money or something.

Kathianne
12-15-2009, 10:17 PM

Yep, now they must prove it. Hopefully they will find the body. Odds of? 2 nights?

Jeff
12-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Yep, now they must prove it. Hopefully they will find the body. Odds of? 2 nights?

I sure hope Chloe is correct and maybe she was abducted and will be returned unharmed, but I am afraid the shifting eyes are due to his nerves of being busted

God I hate to think of a body being found, especially this time of year, but I am afraid that is exactly what is going to have to happen to put all the pieces together

MtnBiker
12-16-2009, 03:12 PM
I am all for camping, but who goes camping on a sunday night in December with two small children?

Does this guy actually think anybody will believe this?

chloe
12-16-2009, 03:36 PM
I am all for camping, but who goes camping on a sunday night in December with two small children?

Does this guy actually think anybody will believe this?

My ex husband would, in fact my kids watched the first video and said he talks exactly like daddy all spaced out as if he doesnt know whats going on. Maybe he did too much acid back in tha day......he seems also in shock.

chloe
12-17-2009, 10:07 PM
update: the police now are considering the husband a "person of interest" he got a lawyer and then spoke with them.

chloe
12-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Police: Son of missing woman backs up camping story
http://www.ksl.com/emedia/slc/1642/164280/16428000.jpg?filter=ksl/img200 (http://www.ksl.com/emedia/slc/1642/164280/16428000.jpg)

Earlier in the day Thursday, West Valley police said Susan Powell's eldest son told them they went camping the night his mother disappeared. It backs up a claim by Josh Powell that he took his two children camping in Tooele County and they slept in the family's van.
McLachlan said police are analyzing the boy's comments, which came out of an interview at a local children's justice center.
Investigators haven't been able to thoroughly check the remote area along the Pony Express Trail where Josh Powell said they stayed, but McLachlan said there was no obvious of camping activity.
Police have served a search warrant at the family home and have also searched the van. McLachlan said they've recovered some items of interest that are being processed, but he said police are still pursuing many possible avenues in the case.
Police are still frustrated that they haven't been able to further interview Josh Powell. "There are many people who have made comments about his activities and actions that don't put him in a positive light," McLachlan said. "The way to get beyond that is to have him come in and talk to us."

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9062334

darin
12-19-2009, 08:35 AM
Maybe the police are under so much pressure to arrest the guy, they want to interview him to the point they can charge him?

chloe
12-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Maybe the police are under so much pressure to arrest the guy, they want to interview him to the point they can charge him?

Yeah well it seems like everyone out here in utah thinks he is guilty. I am not saying he is not guilty, his behavios IS odd, but my ex husband talks exactly like how he did in the first video of this thread, and my ex talks spaced out and delayed like that all the time LOL, it doesnt make you guilty. Maybe he is in shock and still processing or maybe he is guilty and trying to think upa lie and he isn't good at lying on the spot. Time will tell i hope.

12-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Quite honestly, I am not surprised he is refusing to cooperate. Why the heck would you want to cooperate with someone who is trying to say you committed a crime and has publicized it widely across the country. I don't care whether I was innocent or guilty, I wouldnt help people trying to prosecute me and bad mouth me to other. It's just not something I would do.

Maybe he didnt pay his police protection bill yet.

chloe
12-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Quite honestly, I am not surprised he is refusing to cooperate. Why the heck would you want to cooperate with someone who is trying to say you committed a crime and has publicized it widely across the country. I don't care whether I was innocent or guilty, I wouldnt help people trying to prosecute me and bad mouth me to other. It's just not something I would do.

:laugh2:

darin
12-21-2009, 09:42 AM

Very well-said. :cheers2:

emmett
12-21-2009, 10:11 AM
It seems that after all these cases of similar circumstance that have occurred over the last few years hit the news wires, one would think of possibly choosing another way, say.......divorce for instance, instead of killing your way out of a relationship. (IF.....that be the case)

I can't help but wonder however.....who would want to eliminate their wife and be stuck with 2 small children to raise by themselves. One must certainly realize this would be burdonsome and taxing to a personal schedule and threatning to personal ambitions of new lovers etc,..... Hmmmm!

I have top say the going camping story really lacks common sense. I thought camping was done outdoors. Was a tent taken? An RV? Did they rent the campground? Sleep outside? I want details man.....details. Either that or tell me nothing!

Everything appears to be speculation at this point except one thing. A lady is missing. Do these kids have a bunch of money? COULD she have been kidnapped by someone looking to extort money from them. I would think the guy would have at least let the dad know this to save him grief so I suspect this is not the case. Argument gone bad? Possibly. Who knows?

Temps are cold out there right now. Hopefully and God forbid, but if he stashed her body somewhere outside he may get a rude awakening when he sees that when found the body has not degenerated very much due to the cold and somewhere there is evidence that will hang his little ass up on a string. They still dol that out there don;t they? Hanging I mean.

chloe
12-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Police say the husband of missing woman Susan Powell put several hundred miles on a rental car in a 24-hour time period.
Josh Powell rented that car the night his wife was reported missing. Police say he had the rental car for about 24 hours while investigators were processing his van.
http://www.ksl.com/emedia/slc/1659/165979/16597975.jpg?filter=ksl/img200 (http://www.ksl.com/emedia/slc/1659/165979/16597975.jpg) Josh Powell attends a vigil for his missing wife in Washington state on Sunday.

During that time, investigators say Josh Powell put several hundred miles on it, but they don't know where he went or what he was doing during that time.
"There is no GPS tracking on the vehicle to indicate where that vehicle may have gone," says West Valley police Capt. Tom McLachlan.
On the Today Show Tuesday morning, former FBI profiler Clint Van Zandt said this case reminds him of two other missing women cases -- one of which is that of the wife of former police officer Drew Peterson (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/21784901/).
Van Zandt said Josh's behavior is the opposite of what he would expect from a husband whose wife is missing, and the issue of the rental car also begs more questions.
"We know, of course, he's now the primary caretaker of two young children, but one would think most of his activities would be centered around the house or trying to help law enforcement," Van Zant said. "If that vehicle's been driven hundreds of miles, where might he have gone? And could that have anything to do with his wife's disappearance?" The Salt Lake Tribune is reporting that Susan told some of her friends she was preparing to leave her husband. The friends, who were not named, said she set up a separate bank account and wrote a will. West Valley police could not confirm those reports.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9114913

sgtdmski
12-24-2009, 06:07 AM
You know that sometimes it is hard to trust law enforcement in cases such as this. We know that the prime suspects in a disappearance and/or murder are the family members. Remember The Jon Benet case, the police so focused on the mom and dad, and in the end they let the real killer get away.

After this history I do not blame the Husband for getting an attorney, from all reports I have read, he was interviewed twice by police before getting an attorney. TWICE!!!!!!!

I don't know, but we will see.

dmk

chloe
01-09-2010, 10:12 PM
UPDATE:

Josh Powell packs up West Valley City house
January 9th, 2010 @ 3:53pm
<!-- ===================[ STORY BODY : RICH TEXT ]================= -->
WEST VALLEY CITY -- The husband of missing mom Susan Powell loaded his belongings into a U-Haul Saturday, preparing to move to Washington State. About a dozen friends, family and neighbors turned out around 9:00 a.m. to help Josh Powell.

"I just always try to help someone if they need help," said neighbor John Dable.

Neighbor Michelle Oreno told KSL she's a friend of the family and has spoken with Josh Powell several times. While she's not sure if she agrees with his decision to move back to his home state while Susan is still missing, she said she understands.

"He needs to find a job to be able to take care of things. For his own self too, he needs to try to stay busy," Oreno said.

Oreno said helping with the move keeps her mind off the case. She said Josh has special instructions for Susan's belongings.

"He says he has her things out close. They're not going to go in storage," she says.
West Valley City Police have named Josh Powell the only person of interest in his wife's disappearance, but he has not been named a suspect.
http://www.ksl.com/emedia/slc/1697/169759/16975939.jpg?filter=ksl/img200 (http://www.ksl.com/emedia/slc/1697/169759/16975939.jpg)

"We cannot and are not limiting his ability to move freely," police Capt. Tom McLachlan told The Associated Press on Saturday.

Susan Powell has been missing since Dec. 7. She was last seen by her husband, who said he left on a winter camping trip with the couple's children at about 12:30 a.m. that day.

"He has not been cooperating with us very much up to this point," McLachlan said. He said they're watching the move, "and we're interested in it, but we can't prevent it."

McLachlan declined to comment on whether his department has been in contact with Washington state authorities.

Powell was seen moving boxes and furniture Saturday morning as well as going to pick up a second U-haul.

Powell has not said specifically where he is moving. His father and Susan Powell's parents live in Puyallup, a city south of Seattle where the couple met.
Though Powell himself did not speak about his decision to move while his wife is still missing, neighbors shared their thoughts.

"Regardless of who's responsible for Susan's disappearance, Josh is really suffering and if we can help him out that's what I want to do," said neighbor Ron Stagg.

Michelle Oreno said Josh hasn't decided if he will sell the house. He's indicated to her he may want to rent it in case he ever returns to Utah. Powell's sister, Virginia Graves, told NBC on Friday that she was disappointed about her brother's decision to move.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9285755

Mr. P
01-09-2010, 10:20 PM
UPDATE:

Josh Powell packs up West Valley City house
January 9th, 2010 @ 3:53pm
<!-- ===================[ STORY BODY : RICH TEXT ]================= -->
WEST VALLEY CITY -- The husband of missing mom Susan Powell loaded his belongings into a U-Haul Saturday, preparing to move to Washington State. About a dozen friends, family and neighbors turned out around 9:00 a.m. to help Josh Powell.

"I just always try to help someone if they need help," said neighbor John Dable.

Neighbor Michelle Oreno told KSL she's a friend of the family and has spoken with Josh Powell several times. While she's not sure if she agrees with his decision to move back to his home state while Susan is still missing, she said she understands.

"He needs to find a job to be able to take care of things. For his own self too, he needs to try to stay busy," Oreno said.

Oreno said helping with the move keeps her mind off the case. She said Josh has special instructions for Susan's belongings.

"He says he has her things out close. They're not going to go in storage," she says.
West Valley City Police have named Josh Powell the only person of interest in his wife's disappearance, but he has not been named a suspect.
http://www.ksl.com/emedia/slc/1697/169759/16975939.jpg?filter=ksl/img200 (http://www.ksl.com/emedia/slc/1697/169759/16975939.jpg)

"We cannot and are not limiting his ability to move freely," police Capt. Tom McLachlan told The Associated Press on Saturday.

Susan Powell has been missing since Dec. 7. She was last seen by her husband, who said he left on a winter camping trip with the couple's children at about 12:30 a.m. that day.

"He has not been cooperating with us very much up to this point," McLachlan said. He said they're watching the move, "and we're interested in it, but we can't prevent it."

McLachlan declined to comment on whether his department has been in contact with Washington state authorities.

Powell was seen moving boxes and furniture Saturday morning as well as going to pick up a second U-haul.

Powell has not said specifically where he is moving. His father and Susan Powell's parents live in Puyallup, a city south of Seattle where the couple met.
Though Powell himself did not speak about his decision to move while his wife is still missing, neighbors shared their thoughts.

"Regardless of who's responsible for Susan's disappearance, Josh is really suffering and if we can help him out that's what I want to do," said neighbor Ron Stagg.

Michelle Oreno said Josh hasn't decided if he will sell the house. He's indicated to her he may want to rent it in case he ever returns to Utah. Powell's sister, Virginia Graves, told NBC on Friday that she was disappointed about her brother's decision to move.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9285755

Doesn't that melted patch in the snow look like a body outline? Strange.

chloe
01-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Well I must admit it is creepy that he is moving when they haven't even found his wife. Nobody knows where she is, she could be dead or alive.

Mr. P
01-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Well I must admit it is creepy that he is moving when they haven't even found his wife. Nobody knows where she is, she could be dead or alive.

Could be dead? I think that's a given.

Gaffer
01-09-2010, 10:58 PM
I kinda suspect at least one other person is involved. Either hired or a friend. It sounds like she was set up to be taken out. He took the kids camping as an alibi. Somebody else did the dirty work.

PostmodernProphet
01-10-2010, 08:52 AM
I kinda suspect at least one other person is involved. Either hired or a friend. It sounds like she was set up to be taken out. He took the kids camping as an alibi. Somebody else did the dirty work.

I have to disagree.....if he had planned this thing he sure fucked it up......why use an alibi as bizarre as this one....."I couldn't sleep so I decided to take my kids camping in the middle of the night".......he could have taken the whole family camping, then when the kids were asleep, killed her and taken the body a hundred miles away......wakes up in the morning, "oh mommy must have wandered off in the night, call the forest rangers!"........