PDA

View Full Version : Gun limits would make rampage less likely

stephanie
04-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Yikes!
Thursday, April 19, 2007 3:34 AM

Stricter gun control is needed. Without the gun, the killer at the Virginia Tech campus is nothing but a loner who might not have been able to inflict big damage so easily.

Some argued guns don't kill, people do. This argument is total nonsense. The government regulates cars and drivers. And the United Nations forbids proliferation of nuclear weapons. The 21st century is no pioneer era. There is no need to own a gun to defend oneself that way anymore. The gun is designed to kill.
The semiautomatic is truly a weapon of mass destruction. A knife can kill only one or two people in quite a struggle. A gun can kill many in a very short time. There should be no sale and no ownership of guns in this country.

As for hunters, they should rent their rifles or shotguns through an authorized sports agency.
J.C. YANG
Columbus
http://www.dispatch.com/dispatch/content/editorials/stories/2007/04/19/Yang_ART_04-19-07_A8_I26E4KS.html

Missileman
04-19-2007, 05:19 PM
The 21st century is no pioneer era. There is no need to own a gun to defend oneself that way anymore. The gun is designed to kill.

A knife can kill only one or two people in quite a struggle.

The bolded part is incomplete. It should read: "The gun is designed to kill the asshole with the knife who is trying to kill you."

Abbey Marie
04-19-2007, 05:19 PM
No guns? The his bomb threat would have eventually been real. And many more dead, possibly.

darin
04-19-2007, 05:24 PM
The author has it WRONG. Tighter Gun Laws means he simply acquires a gun illegally.

(shrug).

Little-Acorn
04-19-2007, 07:25 PM
In many states, you can get a permit to carrry a concealed weapon if you abide by certain conditions. You have to have a clean criminal background, i.e. no past criminal history. You have to be mentally competent. You have to take a firearms safety course, and in some state repeat that course yearly. If you qualify in all these things, you can get a permit to carry a weapon. This can come in handy when someone starts selecting people in a classroom and shooting them in the head for no apparent reason.

It is also nice to have such permits available, when some whacko is contemplating someday lining up people and shooting them in the head. He may notice that laws permitting ordinary law-abiding citizens to carry, exist where he wants to do his thing. And he may realize that, if he takes any time at all to get through 32 people (plus 28 wounded), chances are that SOMEONE will have a gun nearby... and he won't know where. He obviously isn't afraid of dying, and even intends to die... but not before doing his thing and killing a dozen or three of his fellow men.

But here he will see that he's pretty unlikely to be able to make whatever insane statement he wanted to make before getting suddenly dead, a lot sooner than he intended. This may affect his planning, or even get him to take up another line of work. IF the laws permit qualified, law-abiding people to carry concealed weapons where he is.

If they had permitted qualified, law-abiding people to carrry on campus, probably most people wouldn't bother anyway. But a few probably would - they already found one guy who was one of those qualified, law-abiding people who did carry on campus, and they busted him for it.

But last year, when a bill was presented to the Virginia Assembly to allow qualified people to carry a concealed weapon on campuses including Virginia Tech, the Assembly never even let it onto the floor for a vote. They killed it in committee. And so law-abiding people, no matter how responsible and carful, were forbidden to carry concealed weapons on campus. Some Virginia Tech official even boasted that he would feel safer on campus because of it.

As Monday's assassin moved from room to room, shooting people literally for hours while NO ONE HAD THE ABILITY TO STOP HIM, I wonder if any of the soon-to-be-victims wished that that other student who got busted for exercising his legal concealed-carry permit, was there to help.

------------------------------

(Reproduced from my OP in the "Va Assembly bans all weapons permits on campus" thread, which I assume Stephanie didn't read before posting an article it had already debunked)

stephanie
04-19-2007, 07:37 PM
(Reproduced from my OP in the "Va Assembly bans all weapons permits on campus" thread, which I assume Stephanie didn't read before posting an article it had already debunked)

Huh??
I just posted an editorial by someone who thinks the way they do...
I've been seeing a lot of people saying this same type of thing...

It was a post to show some peoples mindset, that's all..:dunno:

Little-Acorn
04-19-2007, 07:42 PM
Oh! Whoops...!!!

My apologies, Stephanie. I had assumed you agreed with the article you posted.

stephanie
04-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Oh! Whoops...!!!

My apologies, Stephanie. I had assumed you agreed with the article you posted.

Ya missed the YIKES posted at the top...That was mine...
No problem...You and I agree on everything about gun rights...:2up:

Little-Acorn
04-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Tighter Gun Laws means he simply acquires a gun illegally.

They also disarm his victims, making his job easier and safer. For him, anyway.

:lame2:

Gunny
04-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Yikes!

Stricter gun control is needed. Without the gun, the killer at the Virginia Tech campus is nothing but a loner who might not have been able to inflict big damage so easily.

Some argued guns don't kill, people do. This argument is total nonsense. The government regulates cars and drivers. And the United Nations forbids proliferation of nuclear weapons. The 21st century is no pioneer era. There is no need to own a gun to defend oneself that way anymore. The gun is designed to kill.
The semiautomatic is truly a weapon of mass destruction. A knife can kill only one or two people in quite a struggle. A gun can kill many in a very short time. There should be no sale and no ownership of guns in this country.

As for hunters, they should rent their rifles or shotguns through an authorized sports agency.
J.C. YANG
Columbus
http://www.dispatch.com/dispatch/content/editorials/stories/2007/04/19/Yang_ART_04-19-07_A8_I26E4KS.html

we regulate vehicles but if a nutcase drives one into the mall he could easily kill more than 30 people.

This guy's not living in reality.

stephanie
04-19-2007, 09:13 PM
we regulate vehicles but if a nutcase drives one into the mall he could easily kill more than 30 people.

This guy's not living in reality.

How about the part........Hunters can rent a gun from a sports agency....

coo coo:poke:

glockmail
04-19-2007, 09:20 PM
Yikes!

J.C. YANG
Columbus

Yang, J C more info
6915 Bonnie Brae Ln
Columbus, OH 43235-2173
(614) 885-1345

I think we should call him. :laugh2:

Hobbit
04-19-2007, 10:56 PM
Let's not forget that the target of choice for anybody who's pissed at the world is either a school or a post office, even if the shooter has no prior association with that school or post office. Now, what do these two things have in common...

glockmail
04-19-2007, 10:58 PM
Good point. I can't remeber the last time a bomb went off in a football stadium.

loosecannon
04-20-2007, 12:26 AM
Bottom line: the access to guns made this simple for the perp.

But making guns more difficult to obtain will do nothing to make us or campuses more safe.

Full on nutcases will always exist, in the US they will occasionally resort to this kind of end game.

And a back pack full of pipe bombs would be as deadly and convenient.

Or a chlorine bomb, or something more or less sophisticated.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

And suicide assassins can not be stopped unless we turn the whole nation into an airport security check point.

Better to focus on violent TV, video games and movies than guns.

Pale Rider
04-20-2007, 12:28 AM
Yikes!

J.C. YANG
Columbus

-Cp's article splashed this reasoning like a turd in a punch bowl.

-Cp
04-20-2007, 12:34 AM

Dang it.. and I was so gonna rep you as I found you actually making sense up until this point...jeesh...

I suppose playing cowboys and indians and 'army' - in which I'd aim toy guns at my brothers and friends - as a kid made me into the cold-blooded killer I am today eh? LOL!

stephanie
04-20-2007, 12:34 AM
-Cp's article splashed this reasoning like a turd in a punch bowl.

Damn straight..

glockmail
04-20-2007, 07:27 AM
Dang it.. and I was so gonna rep you as I found you actually making sense up until this point...jeesh...

I suppose playing cowboys and indians and 'army' - in which I'd aim toy guns at my brothers and friends - as a kid made me into the cold-blooded killer I am today eh? LOL!

I think he's correct on all points made, including that one. Pos rep.

Mr. P
04-20-2007, 07:35 AM
I think he's correct on all points made, including that one. Pos rep.

I agree.

5stringJeff
04-20-2007, 10:27 AM

I guess I better skip that Halo 2 party tomorrow, eh? :D

gabosaurus
04-20-2007, 10:29 AM
No gun limits!! If there were gun limits, there was be no more massacres! If there were no more massacres, how would uptight gun nuts get themselves off?

Gunny
04-20-2007, 10:33 AM
No gun limits!! If there were gun limits, there was be no more massacres! If there were no more massacres, how would uptight gun nuts get themselves off?

Fact is, the VT incident was a perfect illustration of exactly the opposite result. The criminal had a gun while the citizens who followed the law were unarmed. An unarmed citizenry is as much responsible for the high bodycount as any other factor.

loosecannon
04-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Fact is, the VT incident was a perfect illustration of exactly the opposite result. The criminal had a gun while the citizens who followed the law were unarmed. An unarmed citizenry is as much responsible for the high bodycount as any other factor.

Since you appear to actually be refering to this specific incident's body count i wanna point out the utter insanity of arming the students (citizens) to have reduced the body count.

No College Dean in the nation is going to agree with what it sounds like you have proposed.

5stringJeff
04-20-2007, 11:10 AM
Since you appear to actually be refering to this specific incident's body count i wanna point out the utter insanity of arming the students (citizens) to have reduced the body count.

No College Dean in the nation is going to agree with what it sounds like you have proposed.

You mean, the utter insanity of allowing American citizens to arm themselves for self-defense? They obviously can't count on campus police to protect them.

loosecannon
04-20-2007, 11:20 AM
You mean, the utter insanity of allowing American citizens to arm themselves for self-defense? They obviously can't count on campus police to protect them.

Try to convince even one College Dean that the VT students should have been armed.

Mr. P
04-20-2007, 11:41 AM
Try to convince even one College Dean that the VT students should have been armed.

I can think of 32 reasons and crime statistics to start with that would be pretty convincing.

theHawk
04-20-2007, 12:43 PM

What do College Deans' opinions have anything to do with it? We're talking about Consitutional rights and common sense.

Hobbit
04-20-2007, 12:47 PM

I've met a few. At the University of Arkansas, I think it's still technically a 'gun-free' zone, but unless you walk into class brandishing a rifle or keep one in your dorm room, it's not enforced. We Arkansans know how to handle guns safely, and there's never been any kind of shooting, accidental or intentional, on the U of A campus.

glockmail
04-20-2007, 03:22 PM
No gun limits!! If there were gun limits, there was be no more massacres! If there were no more massacres, how would uptight gun nuts get themselves off? Chicks.

Little-Acorn
04-20-2007, 04:28 PM

We "uptight gun nuts" would probably have to use your method, gabby: Turn into liberal hysterics and type silly posts to try to get people to notice us.

:D

loosecannon
04-20-2007, 08:13 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/usguns/Story/0,,2061777,00.html

Cho's family worked hard in the US. His father worked in a laundry, to fund his children's education. His mother, a part-time waitress, attended the Korean church in Centreville, where she implored the pastor to help her son. When Cho started at Virginia Tech, his mother took his dormitory mates to one side to explain his character and asked them to help. "She was worried that he spent all his time in his room, lost in a world of video games," the paper quoted the pastor as saying.

I told ya