PDA

View Full Version : Two US lawmakers seek to protect abortion rights

stephanie
04-19-2007, 06:38 PM
I don't know how anyone can be against stopping partial birth abortions......It's grotesque..

33 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Two US lawmakers introduced legislation Thursday aimed at codifying a woman's right to terminate a pregnancy, one day after the Supreme Court banned a controversial late-term abortion procedure.

The proposed law would codify abortion rights for the first time, said Democratic Representative Jerrold Nadler (news, bio, voting record), who joined the effort launched by Senator Barbara Boxer (news, bio, voting record).

The legislation "would bar government -- at any level -- from interfering with a woman's fundamental right to choose to bear a child, or to terminate a pregnancy," Nadler said.

"We can no longer rely on the Supreme Court to protect a woman's constitutional right to choose" he said.

"This Supreme Court may have gone out of the business of protecting women's rights; it is time that Congress stand up to the challenge."

A divided Supreme Court voted 5-4 Wednesday to uphold a 2003 law passed by Congress banning what critics call "partial birth abortion.

The bellwether ruling was a major victory for conservative forces in the United States, which have battled for decades to reverse the landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade decision establishing a woman's legal right to terminate a pregnancy.

It is the first time the high court has upheld a ban of a specific abortion procedure since Roe v. Wade.

The fate of the legislation offered Thursday is unclear as Democratic leaders, who control Congress since January, did not promise a debate on the divisive issue.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070419/pl_afp/usjusticeabortion

darin
04-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Evil People. Seriously EVIL.

OCA
04-19-2007, 07:19 PM
This topic is misnamed, its not abortion rights its infanticide rights.

stephanie
04-19-2007, 07:23 PM
This topic is misnamed, its not abortion rights its infanticide rights.

Your absolutely right...

5stringJeff
04-19-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm glad that the legislative branch is finally doing what they ought to be doing, which is debating and codifying abortion law in this country. However, since the Dems are on the wrong side of the issue, they stand to lose popularity among voters by pursuing this action.

Mr. P
04-19-2007, 08:29 PM
There is no reason that can be defended, IMO, for partial birth abortions.

04-19-2007, 08:42 PM
I am not sure where they think they have authority under the Constitution to touch the abortion issue. I dont think this qualifies as a commerce clause action and i dont know of any other areas it would qualify under.

And if it passes, I could see constitutional challenges on due process means as well. Congress can't authorize the taking of human life without due process.