PDA

View Full Version : For feds, more get 6-figure salaries

darin
12-21-2009, 09:24 AM
The number of federal workers earning six-figure salaries has exploded during the recession, according to a USA TODAY analysis of federal salary data.

Federal employees making salaries of $100,000 or more jumped from 14% to 19% of civil servants during the recession's first 18 months — and that's before overtime pay and bonuses are counted.

Federal workers are enjoying an extraordinary boom time — in pay and hiring — during a recession that has cost 7.3 million jobs in the private sector.

he highest-paid federal employees are doing best of all on salary increases. Defense Department civilian employees earning $150,000 or more increased from 1,868 in December 2007 to 10,100 in June 2009, the most recent figure available.

When the recession started, the Transportation Department had only one person earning a salary of $170,000 or more. Eighteen months later, 1,690 employees had salaries above $170,000.

The trend to six-figure salaries is occurring throughout the federal government, in agencies big and small, high-tech and low-tech. The primary cause: substantial pay raises and new salary rules.

"There's no way to justify this to the American people. It's ridiculous," says Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, a first-term lawmaker who is on the House's federal workforce subcommittee.

more:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2009-12-10-federal-pay-salaries_N.htm

BUT - NOT so FAST....

Groups claim data on federal employees' salaries is misleading

Federal employee groups on Monday questioned the accuracy of a recent news report that claimed from 2007 to 2009 the number of government workers earning more than $100,000 per year spiked.

Based on an analysis of federal data, a Dec. 10 USA Today story, said the number of federal workers earning more than $100,000 per year rose from 14 percent in December 2007 to 19 percent in June 2009. The article attributed several workforce trends, including the easing of federal pay caps, higher salaries at the Pentagon because of its pay-for-performance system and generous annual raises from Congress.

According to federal workforce advocates, the numbers are misleading. "The data presented by USA Today is incomplete in many ways," Jessica Klement, legislative director for the Federal Managers Association, wrote in an e-mail. She said the data did not indicate how or why federal employees earned those salaries, and taken in context, the figures aren't as alarming as they seem at first glance.

"Overall, according to the data, more than 75 percent of federal employees make less than $100,000," said Klement. "This is hardly cause for concern."

The information is from the Office of Personnel Management's FedScope, an online database of federal employment data.

"Numbers like this, taken on their face, without any knowledge of the kind of skills and capabilities that these employees represent, can be very easy [to use] to enrage people," said Carol Bonosaro, president of the Senior Executives Association, which represents many executives earning more than $100,000 per year.

John Palguta, vice president of policy of the Partnership for Public Service, said the figures could be attributed to increased hires at the Defense, Homeland Security, and Veterans Affairs departments. Because of the tasks some of those employees perform -- including medical and sophisticated technology work -- they earn higher salaries than the general population.

More:

http://www.govexec.com/story_page.cfm?articleid=44246&dcn=e_wfw

I report, you decide.

Here's the opinion portion:

As a Fed, I see plenty of waste in the system. Most of the waste I observe isn't salary-related. It's position-related. Redundancies in personnel and processes. Of course, the Feds are taking serious looks at what we're spending through programs like Lean/Six Sigma. Reducing Government control/input in our lives should be the goal of every elected official.

HogTrash
12-21-2009, 08:54 PM
That's a great way to keep them loyal to the administration and controlling Party.

darin
12-21-2009, 09:26 PM
I'm a fed and I'm not loyal to this administration other than what was in my Oath of service.

cat slave
12-22-2009, 12:30 AM
What do you do?

cat slave
12-22-2009, 12:31 AM
Maybe thats inappropriate....sorry.

darin
12-22-2009, 05:22 AM
Not inappropriate at all. I work for Dept of Defense, as a planner.

emmett
12-22-2009, 05:46 AM
BUT - NOT so FAST....

Groups claim data on federal employees' salaries is misleading

I report, you decide.

Here's the opinion portion:

As a Fed, I see plenty of waste in the system. Most of the waste I observe isn't salary-related. It's position-related. Redundancies in personnel and processes. Of course, the Feds are taking serious looks at what we're spending through programs like Lean/Six Sigma. Reducing Government control/input in our lives should be the goal of every elected official.

You report, I decide;

I say that is a straight from the horses mouth factual observation. :clap:

sgtdmski
12-24-2009, 05:47 AM
Consider this, the largest union in this country currently is the union of State and Federal employees. Consider the close ties of Unions and the Democrats is this any wonder????

I mean come on, unions for government employees!!!!!!!!

I am sorry but this is an affront to taxpayers.

dmk

CSM
12-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Well, in addition to all the above, there is a big move afoot to replace civilian contractors (read the big nasty defense industry) with government employees. That's fine but if the government wants to get civilian contractors to work as government employees, they have to pay equitably.

That means if the civilian contractor was making 100k/year and the government wants to convert that position to a government position they have to pay 100k/year as well or get someone else (probably with less skill and experience) to take that position.

I have been watching this go on for some time now. I have seen the military in particular terminate contracts with defense contractors with the resulting loss of engineeering skill and experience. They then go out and try to hire either the same individual they fired or replace them with someone else for significantly less salary. In most cases, the civilian defense contractor disappears and a new, inexperienced government employee fills the position. The chaos, inefficiency, and waste of money which ensues is staggering and lasts for many months (sometimes years).

The government periodically announces the shortage of engineering skills. It is their own fault. I suspect the same will occur very soon after they vote in the health care bill. There will be a shortage of skilled medical personnel. I have no doubt that at the same time there will be an overabundance of administrative (read beaurocratic) skills within the government employee work force.

darin
12-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Consider this, the largest union in this country currently is the union of State and Federal employees. Consider the close ties of Unions and the Democrats is this any wonder????

I mean come on, unions for government employees!!!!!!!!

I am sorry but this is an affront to taxpayers.

dmk

Union dues is about $6/week and is NOT mandatory. The union of gov't employees is a paper tiger.

Well, in addition to all the above, there is a big move afoot to replace civilian contractors (read the big nasty defense industry) with government employees. That's fine but if the government wants to get civilian contractors to work as government employees, they have to pay equitably.

That means if the civilian contractor was making 100k/year and the government wants to convert that position to a government position they have to pay 100k/year as well or get someone else (probably with less skill and experience) to take that position.

I have been watching this go on for some time now. I have seen the military in particular terminate contracts with defense contractors with the resulting loss of engineeering skill and experience. They then go out and try to hire either the same individual they fired or replace them with someone else for significantly less salary. In most cases, the civilian defense contractor disappears and a new, inexperienced government employee fills the position. The chaos, inefficiency, and waste of money which ensues is staggering and lasts for many months (sometimes years).

The government periodically announces the shortage of engineering skills. It is their own fault. I suspect the same will occur very soon after they vote in the health care bill. There will be a shortage of skilled medical personnel. I have no doubt that at the same time there will be an overabundance of administrative (read beaurocratic) skills within the government employee work force.

Keep in mind back around the late 90s or early 2000s the push was to reduce the number of employees and hire contractors instead. Back when I was a contractor, in 2000, I was paid $45,000/year. So, those contractors making $100,000 per year are probably costing the DoD $150k/year. I found out (worked near the budget people) the Army was paying my contracting company ~$85,000 per year. The government might have saved a lot of money when they hired me as a GS11 (based on GS11, step 1 in the year 2001) (about same rate) even with the insurance and other pieces the gov't paid.

CSM
12-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Union dues is about $6/week and is NOT mandatory. The union of gov't employees is a paper tiger.

Keep in mind back around the late 90s or early 2000s the push was to reduce the number of employees and hire contractors instead. Back when I was a contractor, in 2000, I was paid $45,000/year. So, those contractors making $100,000 per year are probably costing the DoD $150k/year. I found out (worked near the budget people) the Army was paying my contracting company ~$85,000 per year. The government might have saved a lot of money when they hired me as a GS11 (based on GS11, step 1 in the year 2001) (about same rate) even with the insurance and other pieces the gov't paid.

Understood. The corporations charge outlandishly for their emplyee's labor. Too bad they didnt pay the individual accordingly. On the other hand, since you are a government emplyee, I bet you are well aware of the inherent problems of the system!

Gaffer
12-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Hey dmp, does the government still have an age limit? It use to be no one over 35 could get hired. When private industry couldn't discriminate because of age, the government could.

darin
12-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Understood. The corporations charge outlandishly for their emplyee's labor. Too bad they didnt pay the individual accordingly. On the other hand, since you are a government emplyee, I bet you are well aware of the inherent problems of the system!

You and I both have seen troubles and problems with the system. :(

Hey dmp, does the government still have an age limit? It use to be no one over 35 could get hired. When private industry couldn't discriminate because of age, the government could.

Age limit?? I've never heard of that. How long ago are we talking? The only age limit I've EVER heard of associated w/ working for the Government was in relation to new Enlistees and Officers in the Armed forces. A Civilian age limit wouldn't make any sense, ever, as it would mean no retired Soldiers could get jobs, as most retire from Service around 40 years old - some younger.

Gaffer
12-24-2009, 11:28 AM
You and I both have seen troubles and problems with the system. :(

Age limit?? I've never heard of that. How long ago are we talking? The only age limit I've EVER heard of associated w/ working for the Government was in relation to new Enlistees and Officers in the Armed forces. A Civilian age limit wouldn't make any sense, ever, as it would mean no retired Soldiers could get jobs, as most retire from Service around 40 years old - some younger.

That's why I was asking. In the 80's I couldn't apply for many fed jobs because they all had 35 yo cut offs. I believe there was a waiver for retirees in certain fields. I'm sure a lot of the restrictions have been changed since then. I gave up trying after a while and never kept tabs on it anymore. I can't count the number of times I was refused gvt. employment because of age and race.

Mr. P
12-24-2009, 11:34 AM
That's why I was asking. In the 80's I couldn't apply for many fed jobs because they all had 35 yo cut offs. I believe there was a waiver for retirees in certain fields. I'm sure a lot of the restrictions have been changed since then. I gave up trying after a while and never kept tabs on it anymore. I can't count the number of times I was refused gvt. employment because of age and race.

I had the same experience in the 80s.