PDA

View Full Version : Blood donation

Noir
12-23-2009, 08:20 AM
Hey y'all,

I do believe I posted a thread like this, maybe a bout a year ago I can't memo, anyways I couldn't find it so I'll just make this new one,

I got my letter reminding me that I'm able to donate again in a few weeks, this'll be my 6th time.

Be there many other blood donaters on tge board? If so how often have you given?

And to those who have never given I would emplor you to do so, if health permits, I know allot of folk have a natural fear of needles ect, but something like this can mean the difference between life and death for someone else, and God forbid, it may one day be you or a loved one in need of the help of others,

chloe
12-23-2009, 08:27 AM
I have donated and they sent me a letter too and a card to donate again.

Kathianne
12-23-2009, 09:57 AM
I've donated at least 3 times a year, since I was 25 or so. That's a lot. ;)

Trigg
12-23-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm not a regular donar.

The hospital where I work has blood drives every so often and they usually have a pretty good turn out.

Abbey Marie
12-23-2009, 05:21 PM
OT, but very pretty avatar, Chloe!

SassyLady
12-23-2009, 07:12 PM
I gave platelets every week for three years to help a little girl that had cancer and my platelets went directly to her. And then one day my "protein" levels were too low and I can't give until my body gets back on track. I didn't feel any different but they said until it was resolved I couldn't give any more platelets.

Our house gets a call every week from the blood bank because there is always someone who is giving blood or platelets. I'm even in the bone marrow data bank and my license says to donate everything possible when I die.

I have said in the past that I wanted to be cremated but I have also thought about donating my body to research.....just can't quite convince my daughter or hubby.

Kathianne
12-23-2009, 07:24 PM
I gave platelets every week for three years to help a little girl that had cancer and my platelets went directly to her. And then one day my "protein" levels were too low and I can't give until my body gets back on track. I didn't feel any different but they said until it was resolved I couldn't give any more platelets.

Our house gets a call every week from the blood bank because there is always someone who is giving blood or platelets. I'm even in the bone marrow data bank and my license says to donate everything possible when I die.

I have said in the past that I wanted to be cremated but I have also thought about donating my body to research.....just can't quite convince my daughter or hubby.

My daughter did the same for a couple years, then when the donor she 'knew' didn't need it anymore, she started selling to help with school costs! :eek: Now that she's working, she's back to do again free.

darin
12-23-2009, 07:25 PM
Rules just changed and I can give again (living in Europe in the 90s had some restrictions). If anyone needs A-, holler.

Noir
12-23-2009, 07:31 PM

Awesome ^.^

I'm having the same troubles convincing folk that I should donate my body, other folks just don't understand lol.

SassyLady
12-23-2009, 07:34 PM
My daughter did the same for a couple years, then when the donor she 'knew' didn't need it anymore, she started selling to help with school costs! :eek: Now that she's working, she's back to do again free.

Wow - I never considered selling it........I actually started by putting blood in the bank for a surgery I had when I was 25 and I just kept on doing it.

Kathianne
12-23-2009, 07:39 PM
Wow - I never considered selling it........I actually started by putting blood in the bank for a surgery I had when I was 25 and I just kept on doing it.

I too for some reason at 25 started. Seems it's popular on the university scene now for kids to sell the platelets. As I said, now that she's working full time, she's back to donating.

Noir
12-23-2009, 07:40 PM

Paying for donnating? Tis an odd concept, I can imagin there would be allot of possible problems with that aswell,

Kathianne
12-23-2009, 07:41 PM
Paying for donnating? Tis an odd concept, I can imagin there would be allot of possible problems with that aswell,

They always test here. Lots of kids can't give for various reasons.

Noir
12-23-2009, 07:46 PM
They always test here. Lots of kids can't give for various reasons.

Yeah they test here too, tis always nice to get the 'you have no STDs' letter xD
I knows but I just mean like a waste of equipment and time ect, but I guess if t gets more people donnating it's worth it, 97% of people I Northern Ireland don't donate, which is sickening =/

HogTrash
12-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Hey y'all,

I do believe I posted a thread like this, maybe a bout a year ago I can't memo, anyways I couldn't find it so I'll just make this new one,

I got my letter reminding me that I'm able to donate again in a few weeks, this'll be my 6th time.

Be there many other blood donaters on tge board? If so how often have you given?

And to those who have never given I would emplor you to do so, if health permits, I know allot of folk have a natural fear of needles ect, but something like this can mean the difference between life and death for someone else, and God forbid, it may one day be you or a loved one in need of the help of others,
Awesome ^.^

I'm having the same troubles convincing folk that I should donate my body, other folks just don't understand lol.Thank you for your generous donation and charitable heart kind sir now let's cut the sanctimonious crap, Noir!

Charitable contributions by liberals are for the sole purpose of saying, "hey everybody, look at how kind and generous I am".

Just as you started this thread to let it be known about your kind unselfish generosity.

A truely kind and charatable person does not believe it is necessary to brag about their generosity.

As you can see by the others here who have also contributed but did not find it necessary to start a thread to brag about it.

Liberals haven't the slightest idea of what true sacrifice is.

Noir
12-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Thank you for your generous donation and charitable heart kind sir now let's cut the sanctimonious crap, Noir!

Charitable contributions by liberals are for the sole purpose of saying, "hey everybody, look at how kind and generous I am".

Just as you started this thread to let it be known about your kind unselfish generosity.

A truely kind and charatable person does not believe it is necessary to brag about their generosity.

As you can see by the others here who have also contributed but did not find it necessary to start a thread to brag about it.

Liberals haven't the slightest idea of what true sacrifice is.

D'aw, don't be getting your knickers in a twist babz,

What I am doing in donating blood is not unselfish at all, infact it's totally selfish, because it makes me feel better when I have given blood, and so I do it whenever I can to make sure that I feel good about myself.

Dare I ask if you have ever donated yourself? If not I suggest you do if possible, as you feel better, and the person needing the blood will feel much better.

chloe
12-23-2009, 11:50 PM
OT, but very pretty avatar, Chloe!

Thanks I think so too, I love candles. :)

SassyLady
12-24-2009, 02:15 AM
Awesome ^.^

I'm having the same troubles convincing folk that I should donate my body, other folks just don't understand lol.

I have seen the bodies of people after they have died and it is so apparent that the soul has departed and the body is no longer needed..........so why not give it to research. Perhaps something can be used to discover something, or just so the current crop of doctors can practice their skills. I know that I will no longer have use for it, so why not donate it. My husband and daughter are very traditional and attached and want the full blown, open casket, funeral, buried in Arlington thing...........I want my ashes spread all over the world as my kids travel so I can say I've been all over the world!!!

Anyway Noir.....hope we can get them to promise because they keep telling me I'll be dead and they will be making the decisions!!! :slap:

Noir
08-05-2015, 11:07 AM
Bu-bu-bump.

Casual reminder that giving blood is painless, effortless and will only take half an hour of your time once every few months, on get on it!

fj1200
08-05-2015, 11:13 AM
^But you have pansy liberal blood without essential meat proteins. :slap:

j/k Good PSA.

PixieStix
08-05-2015, 11:15 AM
Bu-bu-bump.

Casual reminder that giving blood is painless, effortless and will only take half an hour of your time once every few months, on get on it!

And you get free cookies or wine :D

PixieStix
08-05-2015, 11:16 AM
I save my blood for emergencies only :coffee:

LongTermGuy
08-05-2015, 08:18 PM
I too for some reason at 25 started. Seems it's popular on the university scene now for kids to sell the platelets. As I said, now that she's working full time, she's back to donating.

They make an extra few bucks 70-100wk....and it helps people good all around...Been there...

Noir
08-06-2015, 02:04 AM
^But you have pansy liberal blood without essential meat proteins. :slap: j/k Good PSA.

How else are we gonna spread the vegan virus? ;D

indago
08-06-2015, 05:44 AM
From The Aviator movie, Howard Hughes is in the hospital after a horrendous plane crash. Noah Dietrich is questioning the Doctor about his condition...

Doctor: "He has burns to ninety percent of his body. Nine ribs are shattered, not broken, shattered, as are his nose, his chin, his cheek, his left knee, his left elbow. He has lacerations on his face, to the bone. His chest was crushed, so his left lung collapsed, and his heart has shifted to the right side of his chest cavity."

Noah Dietrich: "Jesus, God."

Doctor: "He's getting blood transfusions now, but..."

Noah Dietrich: "Whose blood?"

Doctor: " I'm sorry?"

Noah Dietrich: "Whose blood?"

Doctor: "From our stock."

Noah Dietrich: " Oh, Howard isn't going to like that."

Jeff
08-06-2015, 07:20 AM
Noir I think giving blood is a great thing, many of the bike runs I go to have the bus there ( they travel to different events to get donors ) I usually give every year at the Dukes of Hazard days in Athens GA , it's at the local Harley dealer and they are there every year, they don't give out wine but the cookies and juice they give are pretty good and the little cool looking sticker you get are cool, but they blow off on the way home. :laugh:

NightTrain
08-06-2015, 07:29 AM
I've given a bunch of times, whenever they're needing blood. O- here.

indago
08-06-2015, 09:01 AM
Reminds me of the time, a few years back, I went to the local blood bank a few times. A bunch of guys from work would meet there around 7:00 PM and give some blood, and sit around and talk a bit afterward, while eating a cookie and drinking some orange juice. One time, after talking a bit, while the nurse was watching us for haziness, or some other signs of after effects, I mentioned that "Well, I guess I'll get on my motorcycle and head on home." The nurse was aghast. She echoed my words, saying "You mean you drove a motorcycle over here?" I told her yes, that I only lived a couple of blocks from here. She watched me as I went outside and started up the bike, and drove off toward home. I felt no different then than when I got there anyway, although I recall my brother one time passed out at the table after giving blood.

Drummond
08-06-2015, 10:48 AM
I've donated at least 3 times a year, since I was 25 or so. That's a lot. ;)

Over here, the standard is twice a year. More than that is - to say the least - frowned upon. It may actually be banned from happening .. I'm unsure.

I no longer donate, as the hypertension medications I take don't allow me to. But I used to be a regular donor .. our workplace used to put out calls for people to donate whenever the local facilities were set up for it. So it was that I regularly attended Somerset House, in central London, for the purpose. Heyy ... the Somerset House ceilings are really something !! ...

Noir .. does the NHS still give you a badge, awarded to you after 25 donations ? I had one, but I lost it a long time ago ..

Drummond
08-06-2015, 10:54 AM
Reminds me of the time, a few years back, I went to the local blood bank a few times. A bunch of guys from work would meet there around 7:00 PM and give some blood, and sit around and talk a bit afterward, while eating a cookie and drinking some orange juice. One time, after talking a bit, while the nurse was watching us for haziness, or some other signs of after effects, I mentioned that "Well, I guess I'll get on my motorcycle and head on home." The nurse was aghast. She echoed my words, saying "You mean you drove a motorcycle over here?" I told her yes, that I only lived a couple of blocks from here. She watched me as I went outside and started up the bike, and drove off toward home. I felt no different then than when I got there anyway, although I recall my brother one time passed out at the table after giving blood.

It's something you have to be careful of. The heart has to adjust to its diminished blood supply. Rest, even just for a handful of minutes, is absolutely mandated. And of course, if you were in the UK, you'd be treated to a cup of NHS tea and the offering of bog-standard biscuits (I never knew them to vary, no matter how many donations I made ..).

Gabby would be in her element. Nice, warm tea (they don't do iced tea, sorry !) to thoroughly enjoy at her recuperative leisure, followed by a bog-standard biscuit or 2, courtesy of the Leftie-inspired National Health Service (cordon bleu division), by Jingo ... !!!:laugh::laugh:

Noir
08-06-2015, 12:16 PM
Over here, the standard is twice a year. More than that is - to say the least - frowned upon. It may actually be banned from happening .. I'm unsure.

Maybe in the past, but currently men can donate every 3 months, and women every 4.

Noir .. does the NHS still give you a badge, awarded to you after 25 donations ? I had one, but I lost it a long time ago ..

yeah they do certs and badges for 5, 10, 25 and 50 donations.

DragonStryk72
08-06-2015, 04:52 PM
Hey y'all,

I'm a universal donor, so I've been donating regularly since high school, when I used to have to get permission from my parents. Let's that 76 pints thru red cross, so a little over 9 gallons by this point

Drummond
08-06-2015, 05:14 PM
Maybe in the past, but currently men can donate every 3 months, and women every 4.

Well, it's been several years since I last donated. I'm very surprised at what you've told me.

yeah they do certs and badges for 5, 10, 25 and 50 donations.

Even more change, then. I don't recall being offered a thing (apart from the bog-standard bikkies & tea) for anything less than 25 donations.

Hey, I just had a thought. Don't some biscuits get made with animal fat involved at some stage of the process ? So, Noir, how do they treat demands from you for entirely vegan biscuits ??

The last I saw, you were just handed a packet, and you either took one (or two) or you went without. Nothing like the sausage-machine process that is our Glorious NHS, eh ?

sundaydriver
08-06-2015, 05:49 PM
While working for Hoffman-La Roche the company sponsored 2 blood drives a year. Every pint given the company gave you a paid day off as a thank you. Most people would have given regardless but who is gonna argue with an extra 2 days of vacation. That is why your meds are so costly. :laugh:

Noir
08-06-2015, 06:14 PM
Hey, I just had a thought. Don't some biscuits get made with animal fat involved at some stage of the process ? So, Noir, how do they treat demands from you for entirely vegan biscuits?

Depends on the brands of biscuits, but most will contain butter or milk powder, though i don't check, or demand, i just bring my own.

Drummond
08-06-2015, 06:32 PM
While working for Hoffman-La Roche the company sponsored 2 blood drives a year. Every pint given the company gave you a paid day off as a thank you. Most people would have given regardless but who is gonna argue with an extra 2 days of vacation. That is why your meds are so costly. :laugh:

Good God. Over here, you give blood, then you return back to work as soon as possible (unless you're out on strike, of course). Dawdle, and your bosses want to know what you think you're playing at.

'Thanking you' for giving blood - apart from stickers saying it, which I think were given out a couple of times - isn't really a part of our culture. You're simply regarded as doing your civic duty if you donate, and that's all that is involved.

Oh, and am I correct in thinking that people in America can actually donate blood for a cash payout .. or is that fiction ? We have nothing of that kind over here. You turn up, you donate, you enjoy a yummy NHS biscuit and warm tea (and marvel at their enormous generosity), then you clear off .. end of process.

sundaydriver
08-06-2015, 07:21 PM
Good God. Over here, you give blood, then you return back to work as soon as possible (unless you're out on strike, of course). Dawdle, and your bosses want to know what you think you're playing at.

'Thanking you' for giving blood - apart from stickers saying it, which I think were given out a couple of times - isn't really a part of our culture. You're simply regarded as doing your civic duty if you donate, and that's all that is involved.

Over here a sticker or pin is the norm. Drink your juice and eat your cookie and get back to work without passing out. I did better than that though by working for Swiss, French, & Dutch owned companies since 1979.

DragonStryk72
08-06-2015, 08:37 PM

Oh, and am I correct in thinking that people in America can actually donate blood for a cash payout .. or is that fiction ? We have nothing of that kind over here. You turn up, you donate, you enjoy a yummy NHS biscuit and warm tea (and marvel at their enormous generosity), then you clear off .. end of process.

Some states still allow donation for money, but it's not used that much. In a number of states, though, you can donate blood pasta throught plasmapherysis, and that you can do twice a week. You can't usually make about 300 a month doing fairly regularly, but you have to stay within certain health points.

Drummond
08-07-2015, 06:19 AM
Some states still allow donation for money, but it's not used that much. In a number of states, though, you can donate blood pasta throught plasmapherysis, and that you can do twice a week. You can't usually make about 300 a month doing fairly regularly, but you have to stay within certain health points.

Yes, blood plasma donations are arranged here as well through the NHS, and of course they're a lot more frequent than the 'straight' blood donations. But I've never heard of money being given for donations over here.

I see nothing wrong with it (so long as all proper checks are done on the blood or blood plasma donated, which of course I'm sure ARE done ..). In fact ... I'd welcome such a practise over here. Why ever not ? But ... you say only some States allow it ? Why do some not allow it ?

Voted4Reagan
08-07-2015, 06:36 AM
Hey y'all,

I hear they are really short over there.... Donate about 3 or 4 quarts will ya??

Just kidding Noir - nice to see ya doing it... I have done it for 30 years

Drummond
08-07-2015, 06:51 AM
I hear they are really short over there.... Donate about 3 or 4 quarts will ya??

Just kidding Noir - nice to see ya doing it... I have done it for 30 years

I would donate, but the medication I take for high blood pressure rules it out.

Not strictly speaking to the subject-matter of this thread, though it's certainly a related subject .. who, here, would be happy with a system that AUTOMATICALLY PRESUMES consent to donate organs, unless opting OUT of doing so is recorded ?

Over here, just as is true where you are, we have an organ donation system. You want to have your organs, as needed, transplanted from your body when you die to benefit others in need ? OK, you can register for that.

But, in Wales - and it's also being considered in Scotland - in a few months' time, this system will be turned on its head. Under the new system, your willingness to give your organs is PRESUMED to be the case, unless you opt OUT of doing so. Therefore, unless proof is available of your rejection of this, the State will presume a 'right' to plunder your body for the organs it wants.

I've just now found the 'opt OUT' form ... here's how it is worded ...

https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/register-to-donate/withdraw/

We understand that you may want to be removed from the register.

If you withdraw from the register we will not have a decision about organ donation on file.

Please ensure that your family/loved ones are informed about your choices.

If you withdraw and later change your mind you may register again.

If you live in Wales and you have not registered a decision on organ donation, from 1st December 2015 you will be treated as having no objection to being an organ donor. This is called deemed consent.

If you do not want your organs donated then you may register your decision or tell your family/loved ones about your choices.

DragonStryk72
08-08-2015, 04:11 AM
Yes, blood plasma donations are arranged here as well through the NHS, and of course they're a lot more frequent than the 'straight' blood donations. But I've never heard of money being given for donations over here.

I see nothing wrong with it (so long as all proper checks are done on the blood or blood plasma donated, which of course I'm sure ARE done ..). In fact ... I'd welcome such a practise over here. Why ever not ? But ... you say only some States allow it ? Why do some not allow it ?

I'm not sure precisely, but in states like Oregon and Virginia, it's legal, and you'll see a bunch of people doing it quite regularly. But in places like New York, Vermont, and California, they're banned. It seems break down along red state/blue state lines.

Noir
08-08-2015, 04:25 AM
But I've never heard of money being given for donations over here. I see nothing wrong with it (so long as all proper checks are done on the blood or blood plasma donated, which of course I'm sure ARE done ..). In fact ... I'd welcome such a practise over here.

Naw, once there's a money incentive then some will lie on donation forms to get the money, no point in needlessly adding this blood to the system which could get through the safety checks.