PDA

View Full Version : 2.7 quake rattles parts of Salt Lake Valley

chloe
12-23-2009, 08:57 AM
SALT LAKE CITY -- Some people in Salt Lake County felt a small earthquake early Wednesday morning. KSL received dozens of calls from Magna, Taylorsville and West Valley City residents saying they felt the quake at about 2 a.m.

Elaine Jex lives just off of 8000 West.
"My house just started to rumble. My kids ran upstairs saying 'Mom, Mom, was that an earthquake?' and I said, 'I think so!'"

She said the pictures on her wall moved.
"It felt pretty strong. I've felt quite a few other ones but they were pretty quick and just a little rumble. This one was pretty loud," she said.

Jex said it seemed to last about 10 to 15 seconds but she couldn't say for sure.

"It was kind of scary when it started. I felt a little shaky when it ended," she told KSL.

The University of Utah Seismograph Stations report it was a 2.7 magnitude quake that hit about 4 and a half miles north northeast of Magna.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9125278

namvet
12-23-2009, 11:08 AM
we still have an active fault line right here in MO. in SE MO.

New Madrid Seismic Zone story (story)

check out the 1811-1812 earthquake series

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ad/NMSZBig.gif

Kathianne
12-23-2009, 11:23 AM
we still have an active fault line right here in MO. in SE MO.

New Madrid Seismic Zone story (story)

check out the 1811-1812 earthquake series

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ad/NMSZBig.gif

and fissures from it, run right up to Chicago. I do believe it's one of the largest in US and most in Midwest don't even know about it. I've felt tremors from it 3 times that I can recall.

Noir
12-23-2009, 11:23 AM
2.7?...I'm pretty sure thats like nothing, like i assume they are using the richter scale, which is logarithmic, so you couldn't really get much smaller than 2.7 when you consider a 6.0 is over 1000 times more powerful,

Kathianne
12-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Hey Namvet, even better citation, (no need to get more verification citations)
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/states/events/1811-1812.php

1811, December 16, 08:15 UTC. Northeast Arkansas
Magnitude ~7.2 - 8.1

On the basis of the large area of damage (600,000 square kilometers), the widespread area of perceptibility (5,000,000 square kilometers), and the complex physiographic changes that occurred, the Mississippi River valley earthquakes of 1811-1812 rank as some of the largest in the United States since its settlement by Europeans. The area of strong shaking associated with these shocks is two to three times larger than that of the 1964 Alaska earthquake and 10 times larger than that of the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.

namvet
12-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Hey Namvet, even better citation, (no need to get more verification citations)
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/states/events/1811-1812.php

and im in the west central part of the state. the one in 11 or 12 knocked the Mississippi river out of its banks and re routed its path !!!!

namvet
12-23-2009, 12:28 PM
and fissures from it, run right up to Chicago. I do believe it's one of the largest in US and most in Midwest don't even know about it. I've felt tremors from it 3 times that I can recall.

I remember back in the 80's they had one in Illinois. they said we would feel it here but you had to be lying down or standing still. and i felt it. the building sightly moved then back. it was a strange feeling

Gaffer
12-23-2009, 01:10 PM
The only thing you can do during an earthquake is stand or sit in a doorway. Don't run outside unless it's into and open area with no power lines or trees nearby. Check immediately for broken gas lines if you have gas heating or stove. The biggest threat after an earthquake is fire.

Kathianne
12-23-2009, 01:14 PM
I remember back in the 80's they had one in Illinois. they said we would feel it here but you had to be lying down or standing still. and i felt it. the building sightly moved then back. it was a strange feeling

Within the past few years there was one in the early morning hours, woke me up. Wasn't strong, but had that 'rolling' feel which is very unusual.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/902398,quake041808.article

Earthquake reported in Illinois

Comments
April 18, 2008
BY ASSOCIATED PRESS
WEST SALEM, Ill. -- Bricks shook loose and fell from buildings. Walls cracked. Books tumbled off shelves.

A 5.2-magnitude earthquake centered near this southern Illinois town struck before dawn Friday, shaking things up from Nebraska to Atlanta but doing little damage and seriously hurting no one. It was the kind of temblor that might be ignored in earthquake-savvy California.

But the quake rattled nerves across the Midwest as it rocked skyscrapers in Chicago, 230 miles north of here, and sent people scrambling for their TV sets in Milwaukee, Cincinnati and Louisville, Ky., where bricks toppled to the pavement.

''We thought it (the house) was falling on us, we really did,'' said 85-year-old Anna Mae Williams, who was shaken awake at 4:37 a.m. in tiny West Salem, six miles from the epicenter.

Dozens of aftershocks followed, including one with a magnitude of 4.6.

The quake is believed to have involved an extension of the New Madrid fault, a network of deep cracks in the earth's surface, the U.S. Geological Survey said. The fault is at the center of the nation's most active seismic zone east of the Rockies, something that's known to Midwest residents -- even if they forget it now and then.

The last severe earthquake in the region was a 5.0 magnitude quake that shook a nearby area in 2002....

chloe
12-23-2009, 01:24 PM
2.7?...I'm pretty sure thats like nothing, like i assume they are using the richter scale, which is logarithmic, so you couldn't really get much smaller than 2.7 when you consider a 6.0 is over 1000 times more powerful,

:laugh2:, yeah I felt nothing....

chloe
12-23-2009, 01:25 PM

that would be a srange experience

12-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Let's just hope it wasnt an early shock for a major one...