PDA

View Full Version : Book explores evangelical monopoly in sports world

chloe
12-23-2009, 09:13 AM
By JAY LINDSAY
Associated Press Writer

BOSTON (AP) - A toss left, a quick break past the defense, and it was obvious Philadelphia Eagles running back Herb Lusk was headed to the end zone. The real surprise came when he arrived 70 yards later.
Lusk dropped to a knee in the NFL's first public end zone prayer.
High-profile expressions of faith by athletes have become routine in pro sports since Lusk's October 1977 run. A new book by religion writer Tom Krattenmaker explores how it happened, and asks whether it's a good thing. "Some love it, some really resent it. The comedians have a field day with it," said Krattenmaker, author of "Onward Christian Athletes."
From the numerous Lusk copycats, to prayer circles at the 50-yard line, to jubilant players praising God in postgame interviews, an often conservative voice of the Christian faith is now commonplace in American professional sports. That reflects decades of influence by evangelical Christian groups in locker rooms and a belief among some Christian athletes that their visibility is a gift they should use to proclaim their faith.

Krattenmaker says the problem is that they're reaching a sporting public with increasingly pluralistic religious convictions, or no religion at all.
"There are many secular fans who really feel annoyed by that kind of religious expression," he said in an interview. "Even people who are religious themselves often resent this situation where athletes talk about God in this big moment of victory, sometimes seeming to imply God gave them the victory."

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=576&sid=9083811

Noir
12-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Jesus saves...passes to Moses, cross filed to Adam who shoots and scoooooooores!!!

But yeah on a kore serious note, it doesn't annoy me that people chose to thank whoever they do think after scoring touch-downs ect, though I think it would annoy me if I was a Christian, to an extent.

I remember a bit of stand-up Russell Brand did after he presented the VMAs, it went somthing along the lines of-
'What stuck me about the VMAs is how every person tgat got an award would thank god, without fail, Britney Spears thanked him twice! Now it hit me that if you do believe in an all seeing all being all powerful god, do you really think he would care about the VMAs? (Acting God) Oh look! The VMAs are on...ah, best album to Little Wayne?...No no no, thank you little Wayne'

Tis a tad silly when you think of it.