PDA

View Full Version : Death of a hero

CSM
12-24-2009, 08:47 AM
A Warrior Passes in Texas

December 24, 2009
Military.com|by Bryant Jordan

Retired Army Col. Robert L. Howard, a Medal of Honor recipient for combat action in Vietnam in 1968 and one of the America's most highly decorated Soldiers, died Dec. 23 in Waco, Texas.

The 70-year-old Howard died in a hospice in Waco, according to a report in the San Antonio Express News today. The paper, quoting a longtime friend of Howard's, retired Sgt. Maj. Benito Guerrero, said Howard had been suffering from pancreatic cancer.

Howard began his Army career as an enlisted man. During one 13-month tour in Vietnam he was nominated for the Medal of Honor three times, but in the first instance the award was downgraded to the Distinguished Service Cross. Several biographies say that downgrade, as well as another -- to the Silver Star -- was to avoid the problem of noting in the Medal of Honor citation specifics of the combat operations, which were covert.

But one nomination did result in the awarding of the MoH. It was presented to him by President Richard Nixon during a White House ceremony in 1971.

http://www.military.com/news/article/a-warrior-passes-in-texas.html?ESRC=eb.nl

The article further describes this hero's actions. One hell of soldier!

Kathianne
12-24-2009, 09:34 AM
Really hard to read that color of font, looks like a good post!

CSM
12-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Really hard to read that color of font, looks like a good post!

yeah...my bad. but it wont let me edit for some reason.

HogTrash
12-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Of the extensive list of "celebrities" who died this year, none came close to matching the accomplishments of Col Howard.

Most did nothing but make some movies or record a few songs and were over compensated for their meager accomplishments.

Robert L. Howard was truely a great man and a real American hero...I humbly pay tribute to the Colonel and honor his memory.

jimnyc
12-24-2009, 01:11 PM
yeah...my bad. but it wont let me edit for some reason.

Fixed :)

emmett
12-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Bob Howard was a soldier's soldier, the kind of officer an enlisted man enjoys saluting and is proud to do so. He started at the bottom, distinguished himself throughout his career and called it quits when had acheived all he had to offer. Basically a perfect career. There are many historians who will claim Bob Howard to be the most decorated soldier in history. This sybject is always debateable, and insignificant in my opinion as it is not a contest. Bob Howard, 70, Colonel, USA Retired....rest in peace SIR!