PDA

View Full Version : Congressman resigns key post after FBI searches home

lily
04-19-2007, 09:42 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/04/19/doolittle.abramoff.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Congressman resigns key post after FBI searches home
POSTED: 6:40 p.m. EDT, April 19, 2007

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Rep. John Doolittle, whose house was searched by the FBI
in an influence-peddling investigation, said Thursday he will step down
temporarily from the House Appropriations Committee.

The announcement by the nine-term California Republican came one day after
the disclosure that agents had raided his home in Oakton, Virginia. In the
search last Friday, the FBI had a warrant for information connected with a
fundraising business run by Doolittle's wife, Julie, that had done work for
convicted lobbyist Jack Abramoff.

"I understand how the most recent circumstances may lead some to question my
tenure on the Appropriations Committee," Doolittle wrote House Minority
Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio.

"Therefore, I feel it may be in the best interest of the House that I take a
temporary leave with seniority from this committee until this matter can be
resolved."

Kathianne
04-19-2007, 09:45 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/04/19/doolittle.abramoff.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Funny how Republicans do that, but not Democrats like Jefferson. Why do you think? I think because their constituencies read and hold the representatives responsible for their actions.

lily
04-19-2007, 11:31 PM
Funny how Republicans do that, but not Democrats like Jefferson. Why do you think? I think because their constituencies read and hold the representatives responsible for their actions.

Is this some kind of a record? Change of subject in one post! As has already been explained for the umteenth time.......take that up with Hassert and the soon to be ex-AG.

lily
04-20-2007, 12:23 AM
My, my....we seem to have another stepping down.

http://www.azcentral.com/12news/news/articles/0419renzi0419-ON-CP.html

Renzi steps down from house committee
By Mike Madden
Republic Washington Bureau
Apr. 19, 2007 09:00 PM

WASHINGTON - Rep. Rick Renzi stepped down temporarily from the House
Intelligence Committee Thursday, after the FBI raided his family's business
in connection with an ongoing federal investigation.

Agents took documents, the Arizona Republican said in a statement issued
late Thursday night.

"I view these actions as the first step in bringing out the truth," he said.
"Until this matter is resolved, I will take a leave of absence from the
House Intelligence Committee. I intend to fully cooperate with this
investigation." advertisement

The Capitol Hill newspaper Roll Call, which first reported the FBI raid late
Thursday, said agents went to the Patriot Insurance Agency in Sonoita. In a
financial disclosure statement filed last May, Renzi reported his wife,
Roberta, owned the agency. He valued the business at between $1 million and
$5 million.

stephanie
04-20-2007, 12:26 AM
Good..If their crooks they should go...

Wish we could say the same for the Democrats who are crooks, pedophiles, convicted felons....
They don't go...they get reelected, given a promotion, and standing ovations...

And never hear a peep from the Democrat people about their crooked ways..
They stand behind them and say.......THEY MADE A MISJUDEMENT...:poke:

Psychoblues
04-20-2007, 12:28 AM
Why are all these rEpublicans avoiding the firestorms? Are they afraid of the questions?

They are smart, I'll give them credit for that. But, WE ain't as stupid as they expect us to be, don't you agree?

stephanie
04-20-2007, 12:33 AM
They are smart, I'll give them credit for that. But, WE ain't as stupid as they expect us to be, don't you agree?

Who's to be the judge of that...?:laugh2:

lily
04-20-2007, 12:35 AM
Why are all these rEpublicans avoiding the firestorms? Are they afraid of the questions?

You know.......I really don't care how they go.....just as long as they're gone. I'll say that for both sides of the aisle.

stephanie
04-20-2007, 12:42 AM
You know.......I really don't care how they go.....just as long as they're gone. I'll say that for both sides of the aisle.

:clap:

Psychoblues
04-20-2007, 02:28 AM
I am solidly A.OK with that, lily.

Most of these jerks defend the criminals at every opportunity unless, of course, the criminals happen to be Democrats. They don't understand that we voting Democrats want their thieving butts charged and prosecuted as well?!?!?!??!??!?

But, maybe it's a political dichotomy. Ain't nothin' new here for me?!?!?!?!?!!?

04-20-2007, 05:41 AM
I am solidly A.OK with that, lily.

Most of these jerks defend the criminals at every opportunity unless, of course, the criminals happen to be Democrats. They don't understand that we voting Democrats want their thieving butts charged and prosecuted as well?!?!?!??!??!?

But, maybe it's a political dichotomy. Ain't nothin' new here for me?!?!?!?!?!!?

What the heck are you talking about? Republicans are more than willing to throw any representative guilty of actual wrongdoing under the bus. Hell most are likely to throw Republicans who didnt do anything, but only accused of doing so under the bus.

Meanwhile its the Democrats who will do everything they can protect their own regardless how bad they are. Otherwise Ted Kennedy would have been kicked out of the Senate years ago.

Gunny
04-20-2007, 06:12 AM
What the heck are you talking about? Republicans are more than willing to throw any representative guilty of actual wrongdoing under the bus. Hell most are likely to throw Republicans who didnt do anything, but only accused of doing so under the bus.

Meanwhile its the Democrats who will do everything they can protect their own regardless how bad they are. Otherwise Ted Kennedy would have been kicked out of the Senate years ago.

ITA, and Teddy ain't the only one.

Regardless, if they're found guilty of crimes, then they need to go. Matter of fact, there aren't many on either side of the aisle worth a shit.

loosecannon
04-20-2007, 09:31 AM

Nah, that isn't even true. When Delay was indicted in TX he was forced to step down from the house leadership, to be placed instead atop the appropriations committee.

Gingrich was boning a freinds wife while he was leading the witch hunt against Clinton and he wants to run for president.

Reagan's presidency was preceeded by Reagan violating the Logan act by negotiating with the Iranians who were holding American hostages.

Nixon wouldn't resign until the GOP finally turned against him forcing his hand.

AG AG is refusing to resign even as we post.

Mark Foley and this example hardly a trend make.

TheStripey1
04-20-2007, 10:59 AM

I think it is good of him to resign from his committee until the matter is thoroughly investigated.

TheStripey1
04-20-2007, 11:02 AM

some republicans, kathianne... some republicans...

Personally, I don't understand why the bush run DOJ hasn't indicted Jeffers... but if you have a real problem with that, why don't you write alberto and ask him why they haven't?

But what, besides being a diversionary tactic, does Jeffers have to do with Doolittle?

TheStripey1
04-20-2007, 11:06 AM

Again, I have to commend him for stepping down from his committee until the investigation is completed... :clap: Good job...

Lily, do you think the two are related? Are both wives connected to Abramoff?

TheStripey1
04-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Good..If their crooks they should go...

Wish we could say the same for the Democrats who are crooks, pedophiles, convicted felons....
They don't go...they get reelected, given a promotion, and standing ovations...

And never hear a peep from the Democrat people about their crooked ways..
They stand behind them and say.......THEY MADE A MISJUDEMENT...:poke:

lily provided links to her congress critters, stiffy... where are yours? Got any?

Birdzeye
04-20-2007, 11:08 AM

Yes!!!!!

Now I wish Jefferson would step aside. He's an embarrassment, but I think he's too damned arrogant to do the right thing.

TheStripey1
04-20-2007, 11:08 AM

No clue... yes... no WE aren't but their base is...

laffs...

TheStripey1
04-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Who's to be the judge of that...?:laugh2:

we are of course...

TheStripey1
04-20-2007, 11:10 AM

I agree... let's rid congress of all the corrupt politicians by incarcerating those that deserve it and then throw all the lobbyists in jail with them...

TheStripey1
04-20-2007, 11:14 AM

Actually, what I have found to be true on nearly every board I've ever been on... when republican posters are shown that members of their party are shown to be corrupt, they will immediately try to divert attention AWAY from their own congress critters and onto democrats.

Rarely, if ever, do those republicans condemn members of their own party... but hooboy, do the dems ever get lambasted... it's like the republicans think their own party is free from corruption...

it's not...

:dance:

TheStripey1
04-20-2007, 11:15 AM

see what I mean? nothing about the two republican congressman's legal problems...

TheStripey1
04-20-2007, 11:18 AM
ITA, and Teddy ain't the only one.

Regardless, if they're found guilty of crimes, then they need to go. Matter of fact, there aren't many on either side of the aisle worth a shit.

Neither are the two republicans that lily posted the only bad republicans...

perhaps we should start a thread... about corrupt politicians... you guys put up a bad democrat and we'll put up a bad republican...

and obtw, gunny, got any links?

I like my links with mustard... HOT mustard, that is...

TheStripey1
04-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Nah, that isn't even true. When Delay was indicted in TX he was forced to step down from the house leadership, to be placed instead atop the appropriations committee.

Gingrich was boning a freinds wife while he was leading the witch hunt against Clinton and he wants to run for president.

Reagan's presidency was preceeded by Reagan violating the Logan act by negotiating with the Iranians who were holding American hostages.

Nixon wouldn't resign until the GOP finally turned against him forcing his hand.

AG AG is refusing to resign even as we post.

Mark Foley and this example hardly a trend make.

DeLay has been indicted, but there seems to be a delay in his trial... no crime against adultery, so whereas Gingrich is surely a hypocrite, he isn't a crimminal... reagan wasn't indicted... Nixon either, thanks to Ford... AG AG, well he won't be indicted... and neither was Mark Foley...

Birdzeye
04-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Actually, what I have found to be true on nearly every board I've ever been on... when republican posters are shown that members of their party are shown to be corrupt, they will immediately try to divert attention AWAY from their own congress critters and onto democrats.

Rarely, if ever, do those republicans condemn members of their own party... but hooboy, do the dems ever get lambasted... it's like they think their own party is free from corruption...

it's not...

I've noticed that too. Very strange double standard they have.

loosecannon
04-20-2007, 11:24 AM
perhaps we should start a thread... about corrupt politicians... you guys put up a bad democrat and we'll put up a bad republican...

Not a bad idea. The Bushbots are always crowing some nonsense about the GOP having moral authority and being the party of values.

How bout a put up or shut up thread?

lily
04-20-2007, 07:52 PM
Again, I have to commend him for stepping down from his committee until the investigation is completed... :clap: Good job...

Lily, do you think the two are related? Are both wives connected to Abramoff?

While Dolittle is connected with Abramoff, according to the article Renzi's mishap is connected to.......drum roll please........one of the fired US Attorneys, Charlton.:salute:

Kathianne
04-20-2007, 09:20 PM
Ah, calling it where it landed:

http://lieberman.senate.gov/newsroom/release.cfm?id=272753

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 20, 2007

Senator Lieberman's Statement on Majority Leader Reid's Comment that the Iraq War is "Lost"

WASHINGTON - Senator Joe Lieberman (ID-CT) today made the following statement in response to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's comment that the Iraq War is "lost:"

"This week witnessed horrific terrorist attacks by Islamist extremists in Iraq, killing hundreds of innocent civilians and leading Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid to declare that the war is 'lost.'

With all due respect, I strongly disagree. Senator Reid's statement is not based on military facts on the ground in Iraq and does not advance our cause there.

Al Qaeda's strategy for victory in Iraq is clear. They are trying to murder as many innocent civilians as possible in an effort to reignite sectarian fighting and drive us to retreat from Iraq.

The question now before us is whether we respond to these terrorist attacks by running away as Al Qaeda hopes - abandoning the future of Iraq, the Middle East, and ultimately our own security to the very same people responsible for this week's atrocities - or whether we stand united to fight them.

This is exactly the wrong time to conclude that we have lost the war in Iraq, or that our new strategy has failed. Instead, we should provide General Petraeus and his troops with the time and the resources to succeed. We should not surrender in the face of barbarism."

TheStripey1
04-20-2007, 09:38 PM
Not a bad idea. The Bushbots are always crowing some nonsense about the GOP having moral authority and being the party of values.

How bout a put up or shut up thread?

It's up... and when I left, the score was tied... 15 to 15...

Corrupt Politicians (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showpost.php?p=42901&postcount=1)

Kathianne
04-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Ah, calling it where it landed:

http://lieberman.senate.gov/newsroom/release.cfm?id=272753

Help Mods, I posted on wrong thread. Should be here:

http://debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=2561

Thanks.