PDA

View Full Version : How I spent Christmas

bullypulpit
12-25-2009, 09:36 PM
Admittedly, I am not a Christian. My philosophical roots lie with Buddhism. But I spent the day doing what, I think, both Jesus and Siddhartha Gautama would have approved of.

I spent the day bringing comfort to the sick, and yes, the dying...and to their families as well. I've always understood that nursing is sacred work, but it particularly struck me today as I was getting ready for work. On a day dedicated to the birth of Christianity's prophet and savior, I would be doing work which Jesus would have approved. I would, in effect, be honoring his nascence by doing as He did so often...comforting the sick and the dying...As the Buddha did in service to others. I and everyone else who worked this day comforting the sick and dying...every nurse, doctor and nurse's aide honored the birth of Jesus today simply by going to work.

It is sacred work regardless of your religion or lack thereof. Regardless of whether it is Christmas day or just another day.

chloe
12-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Admittedly, I am not a Christian. My philosophical roots lie with Buddhism. But I spent the day doing what, I think, both Jesus and Siddhartha Gautama would have approved of.

I spent the day bringing comfort to the sick, and yes, the dying...and to their families as well. I've always understood that nursing is sacred work, but it particularly struck me today as I was getting ready for work. On a day dedicated to the birth of Christianity's prophet and savior, I would be doing work which Jesus would have approved. I would, in effect, be honoring his nascence by doing as He did so often...comforting the sick and the dying...As the Buddha did in service to others. I and everyone else who worked this day comforting the sick and dying...every nurse, doctor and nurse's aide honored the birth of Jesus today simply by going to work.

It is sacred work regardless of your religion or lack thereof. Regardless of whether it is Christmas day or just another day.

nice post

Jeff
12-25-2009, 09:43 PM

You are right Bully and thank you for you and all the others that do such a meaningful Job

darin
12-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Well aren't you the seeker of pats on the back eh? Nobody loves Bully...more than Bully.

bullypulpit
12-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Well aren't you the seeker of pats on the back eh? Nobody loves Bully...more than Bully.

Ya know, I was just tryin' to point out that there are better ways to spend Christmas than by participating in the annual orgy of consumerism that the prophet and savior or your religion would, in all likelihood, find appalling.

Mr. P
12-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Ya know, I was just tryin' to point out that there are better ways to spend Christmas than by participating in the annual orgy of consumerism that the prophet and savior or your religion would, in all likelihood, find appalling.

I got it Bully... Seems some may be a bit OVER SENSITIVE to such realities.

SassyLady
12-26-2009, 02:15 PM

Each and every person makes their own choice about how to spend Christmas and I, for one, am not going to praise or belittle anyone for how they choose to spend the day.

No matter what anyone did, I just hope that it gave them peace and joy!!!

darin
12-26-2009, 04:09 PM

He also finds it appalling - or at least sad - when folk seek the appreciation for their good works from others; not from Him. Whabaloo! Good for you. You're so vastly superior to 'Christians' Bully...Is that what you want to hear? That do your wonderful kind heart any good? I bet you're damn proud of your modesty.

-Cp
12-26-2009, 05:53 PM
That's great Bully - now just do that stuff more often and don't seek attention or a pat on the back for it... :)

bullypulpit
12-26-2009, 06:12 PM
Gosh guys...I didn't know y'all were so sensitive. I wasn't seeking a "pat on the back", just trying to highlight the notion that Jesus would be appalled by much of what goes on in His name these days.

Perhaps THAT is what got yer panties in a wad. Can't say I'm sorry, because I'm not. None the less, I hope you had a Merry Christmas and hope you have a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year.

bullypulpit
12-26-2009, 06:16 PM
He also finds it appalling - or at least sad - when folk seek the appreciation for their good works from others; not from Him. Whabaloo! Good for you. You're so vastly superior to 'Christians' Bully...Is that what you want to hear? That do your wonderful kind heart any good? I bet you're damn proud of your modesty.

Sacred is as sacred does...Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Jew, Buddhist, Wiccan...whatever your favorite philosophy may be. Ain't no one better than another.

darin
12-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Gosh guys...I didn't know y'all were so sensitive. I wasn't seeking a "pat on the back", just trying to highlight the notion that Jesus would be appalled by much of what goes on in His name these days.

Perhaps THAT is what got yer panties in a wad. Can't say I'm sorry, because I'm not. None the less, I hope you had a Merry Christmas and hope you have a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year.

The problem is not what you claim to have done, it's your arrogance about it. If you did the things you do, great fine. How proud we are of you.

Send another purely-for-insult or antagonistic PM and You'll get banned. I didn't solicit your messages; stop sending them.

bullypulpit
12-26-2009, 09:57 PM
The problem is not what you claim to have done, it's your arrogance about it. If you did the things you do, great fine. How proud we are of you.

Send another purely-for-insult or antagonistic PM and You'll get banned. I didn't solicit your messages; stop sending them.

Rather than descend into a flame war, which seems to be your intent, I'll repeat myself. I hope you had a Merry Christmas and have a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year.

As for the PM's, there's always the "DELETE" button. Dismissed.

chesswarsnow
12-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. That's wonderful you help people.
2. But at the same time, thats your job.
3. I suppose you would have reaped a reward, if you had done your job on Christmas for free.
4. Doubt that happened.
5. But if it did, then you would have truly earned a reward from Jesus.
6. And it would of be accounted to your account.
7. Giving good gifts is what Christains should be doing this time of year.
8. Its a Christians thing, its true.
9. Kinda follows what the three wise men did, they gave good gifts, to the Son of God, on his birthday.
10. We do this in honor of him.
11. You should try it, its what Christians love to do, give stuff away.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

-Cp
12-27-2009, 12:55 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. That's wonderful you help people.
2. But at the same time, thats your job.
3. I suppose you would have reaped a reward, if you had done your job on Christmas for free.
4. Doubt that happened.
5. But if it did, then you would have truly earned a reward from Jesus.
6. And it would of be accounted to your account.
7. Giving good gifts is what Christains should be doing this time of year.
8. Its a Christians thing, its true.
9. Kinda follows what the three wise men did, they gave good gifts, to the Son of God, on his birthday.
10. We do this in honor of him.
11. You should try it, its what Christians love to do, give stuff away.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Not to hijack the OP - but you couldn't be more wrong...

Dec 25th has NOTHING at ALL to do with the birth of Christ....

Christians should NOT be giving gifts this time of the year or any time of the year... they should be "being Christ" to the lost:

34`Then shall the king say to those on his right hand, Come ye, the blessed of my Father, inherit the reign that hath been prepared for you from the foundation of the world;

35for I did hunger, and ye gave me to eat; I did thirst, and ye gave me to drink; I was a stranger, and ye received me;

36naked, and ye put around me; I was infirm, and ye looked after me; in prison I was, and ye came unto me.

37`Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when did we see thee hungering, and we nourished? or thirsting, and we gave to drink?

38and when did we see thee a stranger, and we received? or naked, and we put around?

39and when did we see thee infirm, or in prison, and we came unto thee?

40`And the king answering, shall say to them, Verily I say to you, Inasmuch as ye did [it] to one of these my brethren -- the least -- to me ye did [it].

bullypulpit
12-27-2009, 09:59 AM

Christians should NOT be giving gifts this time of the year or any time of the year... they should be "being Christ" to the lost:

34`Then shall the king say to those on his right hand, Come ye, the blessed of my Father, inherit the reign that hath been prepared for you from the foundation of the world;

35for I did hunger, and ye gave me to eat; I did thirst, and ye gave me to drink; I was a stranger, and ye received me;

36naked, and ye put around me; I was infirm, and ye looked after me; in prison I was, and ye came unto me.

37`Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when did we see thee hungering, and we nourished? or thirsting, and we gave to drink?

38and when did we see thee a stranger, and we received? or naked, and we put around?

40`And the king answering, shall say to them, Verily I say to you, Inasmuch as ye did [it] to one of these my brethren -- the least -- to me ye did [it].

The Book of Matthew. Says it all.

chesswarsnow
12-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. Isn' the children of those whom follow Christ, also the brethern of Christ, being offspring of those whom believe and have the faith?
2. And don't we also give good gifts to our fellow Christians, Christs brethern?
3. Who you have some deep rooted probelms if you can't agree.
4. All over America and the world people are getting served, by Christians in jails, in hospitals, in all places, and its mostly Christians doing it, some others who are not Christians do it as well, I'm sure.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas