PDA

View Full Version : Texting while driving

Mr. P
12-27-2009, 10:49 PM
Well the NYT finally put something out worth a look.

Do you text while driving or know someone that does?

Take this test to see just how DANGEROUS it is.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/07/19/technology/20090719-driving-game.html

Sitarro
12-27-2009, 11:16 PM
Anyone caught doing something that stupid should lose their driving privileges for as long as the dumb asses that drive drunk. Their auto insurance should skyrocket also. The whole cell phone craze has gone way beyond tolerable.

KitchenKitten99
12-28-2009, 12:53 PM
i admit, i text while behind the wheel, but only if I am at a red light (not stopsigns) and ONLY if an answer to that person is needed before a certain time and when i get to my destination (i.e. work or school) i won't have the opportunity to reply until several hours later.

otherwise i will just call with my reply (or whatever the issue is) most of the time. yes, i do have a bluetooth.

Jeff
12-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Texting is a major issue no doubt, I have to admit I have been guilty of doing it myself, but have given that up after watching a car pass me as they were texting then watch them flip into the woods, but being so much higher than most cars I watch people shaving ,putting make up on, playing with there laptops, reading the newspaper or a book, all kinds of good ways to get killed on the highway, and for the most part unless a police officer is on a ramp ( they do that all the time in GA) there is no way for them to see what some people do, maybe a few hefty fines made public will help others

chloe
12-28-2009, 04:35 PM
Well the NYT finally put something out worth a look.

Do you text while driving or know someone that does?

Take this test to see just how DANGEROUS it is.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/07/19/technology/20090719-driving-game.html

I don't text at all, I never return text messages.

Kathianne
12-28-2009, 04:37 PM
I don't text at all, I never return text messages.

As it takes me like 20 minutes to pull off 3 sentences, I don't either. I call instead.

Cell phones, texting, making sandwiches, putting on make-up, shaving, reading newspapers, all are definitely against defensive driving. ;)

chloe
12-28-2009, 04:41 PM
As it takes me like 20 minutes to pull off 3 sentences, I don't either. I call instead.

Cell phones, texting, making sandwiches, putting on make-up, shaving, reading newspapers, all are definitely against defensive driving. ;)

I hate when people are texting while driving it really aggravates me !

Kathianne
12-28-2009, 04:50 PM
I hate when people are texting while driving it really aggravates me !

LOL! I live in Chicago, I've seen people doing all those things I listed. :eek: while driving.

chloe
12-28-2009, 04:53 PM
Yeah they do it here too, I don't like it.

Trigg
12-28-2009, 05:09 PM
I've never texted while driving, I'm not that coordinated.

It's probably the most dangerous thing to do behind the while besides being drunk.

Trinity
12-28-2009, 07:15 PM
However there are some of us who are talented enough to text and not even look at the phone :cool:.....I can, for a one or two word response. Any more then that they get a call or they wait. Of course I have a qwerty board too, makes it a little easier.

But seriously I don't text and drive it's to dangerous.

And if my 11 year old sees me cell phone in my hand, he starts flipping out on me, you better not be texting mom what are you trying to kill us? Lets just hope he has the same attitude when he starts driving.:coffee:

krisy
12-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Glad to hear so many people feel like I do about this...it infuriates me when people text and drive. I don't care how good people think they are at it. If it's that important,they'll call!!!!