PDA

View Full Version : Group Plans To Picket Va. Tech Funerals

-Cp
04-20-2007, 12:50 AM
Where's the guns when ya need em? jeesh...

The families of those killed in the Virginia Tech massacre may not be able to grieve in peace at the funerals of those they lost. An anti-gay religious group known for protesting at the funerals of American soldiers killed in Iraq is planning on appearing at services for those killed on Monday as well.

The Topeka, Kan.-based Westboro Baptist Church (WBC), which is not affiliated with any national Baptist organization, announced plans to protest at victims’ funerals only hours after 32 people were killed in the worst mass shooting in U.S. history. They also may protest at other events on the Virginia Tech campus.

The organization, founded and led by Fred Phelps, believes the United States has condemned itself to destruction by accepting homosexuality and other “sins of the flesh.” Phelps’ daughter, Shirley Phelps-Roper, said the Virginia Tech teachers and students who died on Monday brought their fate upon themselves by not being true Christians.

“The evidence is they were not Christian. God does not do that to his servants,” Phelps-Roper said. “You don’t need to look any further for evidence those people are in hell.”

Cho Seung-Hui, the Virginia Tech student responsible for the killings who took his own life after the shootings, was sent by God to punish those he killed, and America as a whole, for moral decline, said Phelps-Roper, while adding that she believes Cho is also in hell for violating God’s commandment to not kill.

“He is in hell,” Phelps-Roper said. “But he was also fulfilling the word of God.”

Because of its virulent anti-gay message and condemnation of Catholics, Jews and other groups, the WBC has been classified as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center and is monitored by the Anti-Defamation League.

Curtis Dahn, the president of Virginia Tech’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Alliance, said he reacted with immediate disgust upon hearing of the WBC's plans. “Thirty-three people are dead and they’re using people’s deaths and people’s grief to further their own agenda and it’s just disgusting,” he said.

Dahn was friends with Ryan Clark, a resident assistant in Ambler Johnston Hall, who was among the first people killed on Monday. He said he is working with other university leaders and officials to form a response to the WBC. Ideally, he said, the funerals will be nothing more than a chance for family and friends to mourn in peace.

“Part of it is that I don’t want the families to be affected by this at all,” he said. “I don’t even want the funerals’ locations to be public knowledge. I don’t want a protest, I don’t want a counter-protest. I want people to be able to grieve and have what they want, not be made into public displays and mockeries.”

Dahn and others may have the law on their side. In 2006, in response to protests at the funerals of dead U.S. soldiers, Virginia enacted a law that added funerals and memorial services to the state’s disorderly conduct statute. Other states have adopted similar measures to allow police to keep WBC protesters out of earshot.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/04/18/national/main2699800.shtml?source=mostpop_story

Hobbit
04-20-2007, 01:06 AM
Damn, I'm just about ready to hop in my car and go screen for the funerals. If it was GA Tech, I would.

04-20-2007, 05:34 AM
I wonder if someone beat the crap out of these guys they would be claiming that its evidence that they arent Christian or evidence that they are being "Martyred" for their message.

Gunny
04-20-2007, 06:39 AM

The families of those killed in the Virginia Tech massacre may not be able to grieve in peace at the funerals of those they lost. An anti-gay religious group known for protesting at the funerals of American soldiers killed in Iraq is planning on appearing at services for those killed on Monday as well.

The Topeka, Kan.-based Westboro Baptist Church (WBC), which is not affiliated with any national Baptist organization, announced plans to protest at victims’ funerals only hours after 32 people were killed in the worst mass shooting in U.S. history. They also may protest at other events on the Virginia Tech campus.

The organization, founded and led by Fred Phelps, believes the United States has condemned itself to destruction by accepting homosexuality and other “sins of the flesh.” Phelps’ daughter, Shirley Phelps-Roper, said the Virginia Tech teachers and students who died on Monday brought their fate upon themselves by not being true Christians.

“The evidence is they were not Christian. God does not do that to his servants,” Phelps-Roper said. “You don’t need to look any further for evidence those people are in hell.”

Cho Seung-Hui, the Virginia Tech student responsible for the killings who took his own life after the shootings, was sent by God to punish those he killed, and America as a whole, for moral decline, said Phelps-Roper, while adding that she believes Cho is also in hell for violating God’s commandment to not kill.

“He is in hell,” Phelps-Roper said. “But he was also fulfilling the word of God.”

Because of its virulent anti-gay message and condemnation of Catholics, Jews and other groups, the WBC has been classified as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center and is monitored by the Anti-Defamation League.

Curtis Dahn, the president of Virginia Tech’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Alliance, said he reacted with immediate disgust upon hearing of the WBC's plans. “Thirty-three people are dead and they’re using people’s deaths and people’s grief to further their own agenda and it’s just disgusting,” he said.

Dahn was friends with Ryan Clark, a resident assistant in Ambler Johnston Hall, who was among the first people killed on Monday. He said he is working with other university leaders and officials to form a response to the WBC. Ideally, he said, the funerals will be nothing more than a chance for family and friends to mourn in peace.

“Part of it is that I don’t want the families to be affected by this at all,” he said. “I don’t even want the funerals’ locations to be public knowledge. I don’t want a protest, I don’t want a counter-protest. I want people to be able to grieve and have what they want, not be made into public displays and mockeries.”

Dahn and others may have the law on their side. In 2006, in response to protests at the funerals of dead U.S. soldiers, Virginia enacted a law that added funerals and memorial services to the state’s disorderly conduct statute. Other states have adopted similar measures to allow police to keep WBC protesters out of earshot.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/04/18/national/main2699800.shtml?source=mostpop_story

This is an excellent illustration of the point that sometimes nothing but a good old-fashioned ass-whooping will do.

Mr. P
04-20-2007, 08:25 AM
I just heard the President of the Georgia Patriot Guard say members from N.C., S.C and Ga will be at the funeral of one of those killed being held here in Georgia tomorrow. :clap:

Gunny
04-20-2007, 08:37 AM
I just heard the President of the Georgia Patriot Guard say members from N.C., S.C and Ga will be at the funeral of one of those killed being held here in Georgia tomorrow. :clap:

If it happened around here, I'd GLADLY volunteer to screen these morons.

gabosaurus
04-20-2007, 10:10 AM
I knew this was going to be about Fred. Dude needs to find Jesus. :cool:

Birdzeye
04-20-2007, 10:25 AM
Fred Phelps is pond scum. I think he's also batshit crazy.

I guess he has the right to be an obnoxious prick, so I'm glad to hear that the GA Patriot Guard will be at that funeral.

Abbey Marie
04-20-2007, 11:31 AM
I wonder what will happen at Phelps' own funeral? :laugh2:

Birdzeye
04-20-2007, 12:00 PM
I wonder what will happen at Phelps' own funeral? :laugh2:

What we need to do is line up some volunteers to piss on his grave. :coffee:

Abbey Marie
04-20-2007, 12:02 PM

I don't think that will be too hard to organize. :coffee:

Mr. P
04-20-2007, 12:04 PM

That would be a LONG line.

Baron Von Esslingen
04-20-2007, 12:09 PM
What a self-righteous, sick son of a bitch that guy is.

-Cp
04-20-2007, 12:10 PM

LOL - ya KNOW he's sick if he can get me to agree with you 100%!! :)

Baron Von Esslingen
04-20-2007, 12:13 PM
LOL - ya KNOW he's sick if he can get me to agree with you 100%!! :)

As long as we stay away from the topic of "computers" we'll have a shot at agreeing on some stuff... :laugh2:

Mr. P
04-20-2007, 12:13 PM

His daughter is just as bad. A real wacko.

Abbey Marie
04-20-2007, 12:18 PM

Great. :(

Baron Von Esslingen
04-20-2007, 12:18 PM

I saw her get reamed in an interview once. She was pathetic to the hilt.

Hobbit
04-20-2007, 12:58 PM

Where is that. I don't have a motorcycle, but if I can squeeze it into my work schedule, I may go anyway.

Oh, and it's good to see that no matter our differences, we can all agree on one thing. If I was in a room with Hitler, Stalin, Fred Phelps, a gun, and two bullets, I'd shoot Fred twice...because Hitler and Stalin are already dead, and shooting them would be kinda pointless.

Pale Rider
04-20-2007, 01:21 PM
These Phelp's followers are devil spawn, and when they protest these funerals, they're partioned off and protected by police. They were doing this at veteran's funerals until they passed a law saying it was illegal to protest within a certain distance of a veteran's funeral. It's sad that we have to protect human debris like this. I would take so much pleasure in fucking these people up.

Birdzeye
04-20-2007, 01:35 PM
These Phelp's followers are devil spawn, and when they protest these funerals, they're partioned off and protected by police. They were doing this at veteran's funerals until they passed a law saying it was illegal to protest within a certain distance of a veteran's funeral. It's sad that we have to protect human debris like this. I would take so much pleasure in fucking these people up.

I understand your feelings, but do you seriously want to share the low road in the gutter with Phelps? Seriously, if you "fucked those people up," the only thing you'd accomplish, besides a possible criminal record for assault, would be to make pond scum like them look like victims.

I say they aren't worth it.

04-20-2007, 01:46 PM
Phelps does seem to have one good attribute. He has this uncanny ability to unite people. Unfortunately for him, we are all united AGAINST him.

TheStripey1
04-20-2007, 01:48 PM

...snip

I do NOT like those assholes one bit... but... I am not going to jump on the band wagon advocating violence against them...

Let GOD have his vengence on them... it's far more everlasting...

TheStripey1
04-20-2007, 01:48 PM
I wonder if someone beat the crap out of these guys they would be claiming that its evidence that they arent Christian or evidence that they are being "Martyred" for their message.

probably both.

TheStripey1
04-20-2007, 01:51 PM
Fred Phelps is pond scum. I think he's also batshit crazy.

I guess he has the right to be an obnoxious prick, so I'm glad to hear that the GA Patriot Guard will be at that funeral.

No one has the right to be that much of an obnoxious prick... no one.

TheStripey1
04-20-2007, 01:52 PM

laffs... the tiger raises his paw... I'll be there...

:pee: Fred Phelps

TheStripey1
04-20-2007, 01:54 PM
That would be a LONG line.

laffs... but well worth the wait... we could have a parrrrrrrrtay while shufflin along in line... will you be bringin' the boiled peanuts and beer?

Mr. P
04-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Where is that. I don't have a motorcycle, but if I can squeeze it into my work schedule, I may go anyway.

Oh, and it's good to see that no matter our differences, we can all agree on one thing. If I was in a room with Hitler, Stalin, Fred Phelps, a gun, and two bullets, I'd shoot Fred twice...because Hitler and Stalin are already dead, and shooting them would be kinda pointless.

Evans Ga, Hobbit. It's part of the Augusta area.

TheStripey1
04-20-2007, 01:55 PM

the whole family is whackoe... all of their followers too...

TheStripey1
04-20-2007, 01:58 PM
If I was in a room with Hitler, Stalin, Fred Phelps, a gun, and two bullets, I'd shoot Fred twice...because Hitler and Stalin are already dead, and shooting them would be kinda pointless.

:lmao:

had to rep you for this, Hobbit... cuz you made me laff out loud with it...

TheStripey1
04-20-2007, 02:00 PM

well... being incarcerated for doing it and/or sued too, I don't think it would be that pleasurable in the end...

let GOD take care of them... as HE has a "special" place for maggots like them...

Abbey Marie
04-20-2007, 02:02 PM
DP members planning Fred's wet send-off: :huddle:

TheStripey1
04-20-2007, 02:04 PM
DP members planning Fred's wet send-off: :huddle:

good one... :lol:

Mr. P
04-20-2007, 02:11 PM
laffs... but well worth the wait... we could have a parrrrrrrrtay while shufflin along in line... will you be bringin' the boiled peanuts and beer?

The peanuts fer sure! I guess we do need beer too it makes lots of pee!:laugh2:

I'd go tomorrow and pee on there feet, but not being a member of the Patriot Guard who were invited by the family, I wouldn't be able to get close to these Morons I'm sure.

Birdzeye
04-20-2007, 02:29 PM
My FIL used to say, "You don't buy beer; you rent it!" :coffee:

TheStripey1
04-20-2007, 02:45 PM
The peanuts fer sure! I guess we do need beer too it makes lots of pee!:laugh2:

I'd go tomorrow and pee on there feet, but not being a member of the Patriot Guard who were invited by the family, I wouldn't be able to get close to these Morons I'm sure.

Oh... you'd be able to get close to the maggots... the guard will be protecting the families... not the maggots...

and yes... we'll need copious amounts of beeer cuz I bet many of us would gladly furrst drain our bladders then get back in line for another round...

:beer:

TheStripey1
04-20-2007, 02:46 PM
My FIL used to say, "You don't buy beer; you rent it!" :coffee:

I've said that too... and it also applies to coffee and tea...

:beer: :coffee: