PDA

View Full Version : DP's Best Recipes

Kathianne
12-30-2009, 06:11 AM
We used to do this a long time ago, put up some of your 'everyone asks me to make this' recipes:

Mom's Au Gratin Potatoes:

Bunch of baking potatoes
Bunch of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Stick of butter
flour, in shaker cup if you got it
salt
pepper
milk

Peel and slice taters, pretty thin, I use mandolin. Keep in cold water to prevent color change. Get a big bowl, I use pyrex. single layer of potatoes, salt & pepper, few dabs butter, cheese, flour. Keep repeating until bowl if full. Then the tricky part, make sure you end with cheddar cheese, until then the order doesn't really matter. Add milk slowly until it's just peeking along the side. Put into 350F preheated over for about an hour, until top is really nicely brown.

You can also throw layers of cooked ham or bacon in too!

chloe
12-30-2009, 07:17 AM
Here's an easy dessert my ex mother in law used to make at family get togethers and my kids loved it.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="99%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: #eeeece 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; COLOR: #8caa9e; BORDER-TOP: #eeeece 1px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #dddd9d 2px solid" class=title bgColor=#ffffcc noWrap align=left>CHOCOLATE ECLAIR PIE</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #eeeece 1px solid"> </TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #dddd9d 2px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #eeeece 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 20px; PADDING-LEFT: 20px; PADDING-RIGHT: 20px; BORDER-RIGHT: #dddd9d 2px solid; PADDING-TOP: 20px" bgColor=#ffffcc colSpan=2><!----><!--CHOCOLATE ECLAIR PIE-->
1 box graham crackers
9 oz. Cool Whip
3 c. milk
2 boxes instant vanilla pudding
Topping

Blend vanilla pudding and milk. Fold in Cool Whip. Line a 9x13 pan with graham crackers. Put half of the pudding mix into the pan. Put graham crackers on top. Pour in remaining mixture. Put on final layer of graham crackers. Put topping on and chill overnight.

TOPPING:

2 tbsp. milk
2 tbsp. cocoa
1 tsp. vanilla
3 tbsp. butter
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
Melt butter; add remaining ingredients. Mix.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Kathianne
12-30-2009, 07:25 AM
Here's an easy dessert my ex mother in law used to make at family get togethers and my kids loved it.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="99%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: #eeeece 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; COLOR: #8caa9e; BORDER-TOP: #eeeece 1px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #dddd9d 2px solid" class=title bgColor=#ffffcc noWrap align=left>CHOCOLATE ECLAIR PIE</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #eeeece 1px solid"> </TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #dddd9d 2px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #eeeece 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 20px; PADDING-LEFT: 20px; PADDING-RIGHT: 20px; BORDER-RIGHT: #dddd9d 2px solid; PADDING-TOP: 20px" bgColor=#ffffcc colSpan=2><!----><!--CHOCOLATE ECLAIR PIE-->
1 box graham crackers
9 oz. Cool Whip
3 c. milk
2 boxes instant vanilla pudding
Topping

Blend vanilla pudding and milk. Fold in Cool Whip. Line a 9x13 pan with graham crackers. Put half of the pudding mix into the pan. Put graham crackers on top. Pour in remaining mixture. Put on final layer of graham crackers. Put topping on and chill overnight.

TOPPING:

2 tbsp. milk
2 tbsp. cocoa
1 tsp. vanilla
3 tbsp. butter
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
Melt butter; add remaining ingredients. Mix.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Thanks! I've had that, but not the recipe!

Jeff
12-30-2009, 10:40 AM
We used to do this a long time ago, put up some of your 'everyone asks me to make this' recipes:

Mom's Au Gratin Potatoes:

Bunch of baking potatoes
Bunch of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Stick of butter
flour, in shaker cup if you got it
salt
pepper
milk

Peel and slice taters, pretty thin, I use mandolin. Keep in cold water to prevent color change. Get a big bowl, I use pyrex. single layer of potatoes, salt & pepper, few dabs butter, cheese, flour. Keep repeating until bowl if full. Then the tricky part, make sure you end with cheddar cheese, until then the order doesn't really matter. Add milk slowly until it's just peeking along the side. Put into 350F preheated over for about an hour, until top is really nicely brown.

You can also throw layers of cooked ham or bacon in too!

My wife makes scallop Potatoes , I have no idea how ya make them but I do know how to eat them and will be doing so Friday, LOL, We have Ham Potatoes and Collards for New Years day, I concentrate on the Taters :laugh2:

glockmail
12-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Stir fried veggies. The secrete is peanut oil, which doesn't smoke at high temperature. Heat about 2 TBS on high, toss in a spoon of minced garlic and brown the veggies for about 5-10 minutes. Early on stir in some sea salt and black pepper. Mix up a spice packet that you get with take-out (hot Chinese mustard, Papa Johns garlic sauce, or similar) with some old white wine, or soy sauce, or just water to make up about 2 to 4 TBS. Toss in the liquid, stir again, cover and let sit for a minute or so.

I did this with my bumper crop of yellow squash last summer ten weeks in a row and my kids were asking for more after the plants died out. Now I do it with those big bags of broccoli that they sell at Costco.

It's different every time, but its always good.

Kathianne
12-30-2009, 09:23 PM
Stir fried veggies. The secrete is peanut oil, which doesn't smoke at high temperature. Heat about 2 TBS on high, toss in a spoon of minced garlic and brown the veggies for about 5-10 minutes. Early on stir in some sea salt and black pepper. Mix up a spice packet that you get with take-out (hot Chinese mustard, Papa Johns garlic sauce, or similar) with some old white wine, or soy sauce, or just water to make up about 2 to 4 TBS. Toss in the liquid, stir again, cover and let sit for a minute or so.

I did this with my bumper crop of yellow squash last summer ten weeks in a row and my kids were asking for more after the plants died out. Now I do it with those big bags of broccoli that they sell at Costco.

It's different every time, but its always good.

Oh Yeah! Good deal!

Mr. P
12-30-2009, 10:24 PM

I doono Kathianne. Remember "Cooking with Mr. P"?

I don't think anyone but Krisy and JokerBrovo ever tried anything I posted.

EDIT: OH, and Shattered did my "Perfect Turkey" recipe. She said she had a 20LB bird and 6 adults and there was none left. LOL

hjmick
12-30-2009, 11:41 PM
Mick's Damn Good, Always Evolving Chili
(Current Recipe)

3 qts.

2 lbs. Lean ground beef brown and drain
2 lbs. Lean steak cubed brown and drain

Add:
1 cup chili powder
1 1/3 TB paprika
2 tsp. Cayenne pepper
2TB ancho chili powder
2 TB oregano
4 tsp. Salt
4 or 5 shakes of garlic powder
2 10oz. Cans Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles
2 bottles of beer
3 or 4 shots of tequila

Cover and simmer 30 to 40 minutes.
Add 2 15oz. Cans Ranch Style Brand
Original Texas Beans, rinsed.
Simmer 30 minutes.

Chopped onions and shredded cheese for top.

This chili freezes very well and tastes even better the next day.

Kathianne
12-31-2009, 08:55 AM

EDIT: OH, and Shattered did my "Perfect Turkey" recipe. She said she had a 20LB bird and 6 adults and there was none left. LOL

Actually, I made your cookie recipe. ;)

Mr. P
12-31-2009, 09:29 AM
Actually, I made your cookie recipe. ;)

Thin mints!!!! :thumb:

chloe
12-31-2009, 10:39 AM

post some recipes Mr P

Kathianne
12-31-2009, 12:29 PM

And they were sooo, good!

Mr. P
12-31-2009, 01:03 PM
Cooking with Mr. P…..Cheesy Ham Chowder

This is very good!
A great fall/winter meal , but I like it anytime.

This yields about 10 servings..

10 bacon strips, diced
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup diced carrots…I shred them instead and use less than a cup.
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups milk..(whole, not 2%..etc)
1-1/2 cups water
2-1/2 cups cubed potatoes…I use Idaho and 3 cups
1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn… I add more about 27oz
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon GRANULES
Pepper to taste
3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups cubed fully cooked ham…I buy vacuum packed slices 2/pack, sometimes called ham steak

In a Dutch oven or large soup kettle, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. In drippings, sauté onion and carrots until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the potatoes, corn, bouillon and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add cheese and ham; heat until cheese is melted (stir a bit). Stir in bacon.. DONE :thumb:

Shadow
01-30-2010, 12:44 AM
Honey Chicken

6 Chicken breasts (boneless)
1/2 C Honey
1/3 C Lemon Juice
1/4 C Soy sauce

Combine lemon juice,honey and soy sauce in bowl. Place chicken in baking dish,brush chicken with half of the honey mixture. Bake at 350 for 20 min. Brush with additional honey mixture and bake for another 35 min,or until done(baste frequently).

Shadow
01-30-2010, 12:51 AM
Mexican Chicken

4 Chicken breasts (boneless)
1 Jar chunky salsa (16oz)
1 Can sliced black olives (2 1/4 oz,drained)
1/2 tsp finely chopped garlic

Spray non stick skillet with olive oil spray. Saute garlic over low heat. Add Chicken,cook until golden,turning once. Add salsa and cover cook on med/low heat for 30/40 min. Top with olives. (good served over rice).

Shadow
02-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Found this today...it is the Millionaire Pie recipe from Furr's. We used to go there a lot for family gatherings when I was a child. Everyone's favorite pie to eat when out back then...

Furr's Millionaire Pie

Ingredients:

2 Cups powdered sugar
1 Stick softened butter
1 Large egg
1/4 Teaspoon salt
1/4 Teaspoon vanilla
2 Baked 8 inch pie crusts
1 Cup heavy cream
1/2 Cup chopped nuts
1 Cup drained, crushed pineapple

Cream together powdered sugar and butter. Add egg, salt and vanilla. Mix until light and fluffy. Spoon mix evenly into pie crust and chill. Whip cream until stiff. Blend in pineapple and nuts. Spoon on top of egg mixture and chill.

Kathianne
02-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Winner tonight, Chicken Piccata. Wasn't sure how my sons would like, they are pretty much 'plain chicken' kind of guys. I won, it was a big hit! Served with pasta with garlic & olive oil, mmm.

4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
6 tbsp Unsalted Butter
1/3 c Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
5 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 c Dry White Wine (or you can use Chicken Stock if you don't want the wine)
1/4 c Capers, rinsed
1/3 c Fresh Parsley
1 can of Artichoke Hearts (I didn't have, so left this out)
1/3 cup chopped mushrooms
Flour and Parm. Cheese (for dredging)
Sea Salt
Freshly Ground Pepper

Directions
Wrap chicken breasts in plastic wrap and flatten (beat)
Unwrap and cut in half
Salt and Pepper both sides, then dredge in Flour and Parm Cheese
In pan, cook chicken in Olive Oil and Butter, approximately three to five minutes on both sides (until slightly browned) It only needs to be turned once.
Take out of pan with tongs and transfer to plate
In same pan, add lemon juice, wine (or stock), capers and artichoke hearts, scrap bits from chicken and simmer until reduced by half.
Put lemons in the pan for flavor (discard before serving)
Return all the chicken to the pan and simmer for about five more minutes
Put chicken on serving dish
Add remaining butter to pan, simmer for another minute or two, remove from heat and pour over chicken.

Shadow
03-06-2010, 02:54 PM
The things you find online...interesting...might have to try this one.

Chocolate Coca-Cola Cake
(The Coca Cola Company website)

1 18.5-ounce devil's food cake mix (see note)
1 16-ounce bottle Coca-Cola®
2 tablespoons grated orange peel
Half 6-ounce package semisweet chocolate chips, about 1/2 cup
12 large fresh, ripe strawberries, preferably unhulled
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 16-ounce package confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons powdered chocolate drink mix such as Nestle's Quik
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Heat oven to 350°F; grease 13x9x2 inch baking pan.

Prepare cake mix according to
package directions, using 1 1/3 cups cola in place of water and stirring 1 tablespoon
grated orange peel in batter.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 30 minutes until
wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Invert cake onto wire rack cool
completely.

Cake may be made and stored, tightly wrapped, up to two days before
decorating.

Note: For firmer cake, use one 16-ounce package of pound cake mix, stirring in 1/3
cup powdered chocolate drink mix along with grated orange peel. Use cola for the
liquid; bake as directed.

1. Stir chocolate chips in small heavy saucepan over very low heat until melted and
smooth; remove from heat. Dip strawberries into chocolate to coat halfway, placing
each berry as it is dipped on cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Refrigerate berries
until ready to use.

2. Cut cooled cake horizontally into 2 equal layers with sharp serrated knife; place
bottom layer on large cookie sheet.

3. Beat butter in large bowl with mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy;
gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and chocolate drink mix until smooth. Beat in
1/3 cup of remaining cola, remaining 1 tablespoon grated orange peel and vanilla
until thoroughly blended and smooth. Spread half of frosting over bottom cake
layer; top with second layer. Swirl remaining frosting over top of cake. Cut cake into
12 portions; arrange on platter.

Decorate with chocolate-dipped strawberries and
birthday candles, if desired.

Make 12 servings.

Shadow
03-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Sparkling Sprite® Surprise Pie
(Coca Cola Company website)

1 8" graham cracker pie shell
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 Tbs. butter
1/3 cup sour cream
1 pint strawberries, halved
1/2 cup blueberries (optional)
2 packages strawberry or strawberry/banana gelatin mix
1 cup cold Sprite
1/2 cup boiling water

Mix softened cream cheese, melted butter, and sour cream in bowl.

Spread mixture in the bottom of the pie shell. Smooth evenly with a spatula or tablespoon.

Lightly press the strawberry halves into the mixture. Place shell with mixture and berries into
the freezer for 15 minutes.

Dissolve the 2 packages of gelatin mix in the 1/2 cup boiling water. Add the Sprite and pour over the berries in the pie shell.

Place pie in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours or until the gelatin becomes firm.

Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

Serves approximately 6

Shadow
03-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Frozen Yogurt with Root Beer Sauce
(Coca Cola Company website)

Makes 8 servings

2 1/2 cups Barq’s® Diet Root Beer
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 1/4 cups milk, whole, cold
1/2 cup aspartame sweetener
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 packet gelatin, (1/4 ounce), unflavored
1 1/2 cups yogurt, plain, low-fat
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Method:

1. Dilute cornstarch in 2 tablespoons of the root beer. Reduce remaining root beer in a saucepan over medium-high heat to 1 cup, about 30 minutes. Whisk
cornstarch into reduction and cook until thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, cool completely, and chill.

2. Combine the milk, sweetener, and salt in a bowl. Stir to dissolve. Sprinkle gelatin across surface and allow mixture to stand until gelatin forms a light "skin," about 5 minutes. Place bowl containing milk mixture over a pot of simmering water and heat while stirring, until gelatin melts. Cool completely, but do not allow gelatin to set up.

3. In a separate bowl combine the yogurt and vanilla extract. Whisk together
cooled milk mixture and the yogurt mixture. Cover and chill thoroughly, about 8 hours. Gelatin will set up during this time.

4. When ready to process, whisk yogurt mixture to break it up and remove lumps. Place in an ice cream machine and process according to manufacturers
instructions. When yogurt is partially frozen, scrape into a chilled metal bowl,
cover and freeze thoroughly, about 8 hours.

5. Serve frozen yogurt in chilled glasses or serving dishes, drizzled with sauce.

Shadow
06-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Summer Salsa

Ingredients

2 (10 ounce) cans sweet white corn
1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
salt to taste

Directions:

In a large bowl, stir together corn, beans, onion, red pepper, and sugar. Stir in rice wine vinegar, and season with salt.

Kathianne
06-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Summer Salsa

Ingredients

2 (10 ounce) cans sweet white corn
1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
salt to taste

Directions:

In a large bowl, stir together corn, beans, onion, red pepper, and sugar. Stir in rice wine vinegar, and season with salt.

I think I'll give that a try this weekend!

Kathianne
06-08-2011, 11:46 PM

Ha, I made one of your desserts and everyone loved it! I need to go find that recipe again. I'm bad, I've about 50 meals, desserts, salads, soups I can make without recipes. Other than those I tend to make a new recipe whenever I get bored. Then I forget them, I'm trying to organize those.

Kathianne
06-09-2011, 12:02 AM
Ok, I saw I duplicated an answer somewhat to Mr. P, that's what I get for reading old stuff.

Well it's been hot as blazes here the past few days and I'm trying to get some recipes I can make early in the day and serve cold. Here's one I'm going to try:

OVEN-BAKED TORTILLA ESPAÑOLA

6 oz red-skinned or Yukon gold potato, diced
4 Tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 scallions, white and green parts finely chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
5 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
6 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano or Spanish Rocal cheese, grated
3 Tbsp snipped fresh chives
Kosher salt and fresh black pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Placed diced potatoes in a small sauce pan. Cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook for 5-7 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Drain and set aside to cool slightly.

Spray a casserole dish (approximately 7x10 inch) with olive oil or canola spray, and set aside.

Place the 4 Tbsp olive oil, garlic, scallions and bell peppers in a frying pan and cook over medium heat, stirring, for 5-6 minutes, or until the onions are softened but not browned. Let cool a bit, then stir in the cooked potato.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sour cream, cheese and chives together. Stir in the vegetable-potato mixture, and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Pour the mixture into the baking dish and smooth the top. Bake for 40 minutes, or until golden brown, puffed, and set in the center. Remove from the oven and let cool and set. Run a spatula around the edge, then invert onto a cutting board, browned-side up. If the surface looks a little runny, place it under the broiler to dry out.

Let cool completely. Neaten the edges if necessary, then cut into one-inch squares. Serve on a platter with wooden toothpicks.

Shadow
06-10-2011, 09:01 PM
I think I'll give that a try this weekend!

It's good and a little different...

Here is another good one .

Mango Salsa Recipe

Ingredients:

1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and diced
1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
1 Jalapeño chile,chopped
1 small cucumber, peeled and diced
3 Tbsp fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in bowl..salt and pepper to taste.

Optional add in's for variety.

Avacado
Bell pepper (red,yellow,green)
Jicama

PostmodernProphet
06-11-2011, 07:52 AM
recently discovered I am diabetic so I've had to give up muffins and apple fritters.....

found this recipe which has the horrible name of "Health Bread" instead of something appropriate like "This is great".....

one cup water
one cup dried fruit (I like half golden raisins, half dried cranberries)

put those together in the microwave for three minutes while you mix...

one cup All Bran cereal
one cup oatmeal
one cup whole wheat flour
one quarter cup Splenda
one teaspoon salt (I use sea salt)
one teaspoon baking soda

add one cup low fat milk (I use Silk Lite instead)
add the water and raisins which have now begun to plump up a bit

bake in a greased loaf pan at 350 for 45 minutes

I eat two slices of this every morning with cheese and I have never wished I had my apple fritter instead.......

darin
06-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Not a recipe - but a technique which produces the best steak i've eaten.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?28253-Father-s-day-dinner&highlight=chimney

PostmodernProphet
06-11-2011, 01:57 PM
meat
fire
combine to taste....

Shadow
06-13-2011, 04:39 PM
I was reading a local article about raw vs cooked veggies. In it the author was talking about Asparagus fries (which I had never heard of before). I looked them up and they sound great...

Parmesan Asparagus Fries

1 bunch Fresh Asparagus
1½ Tablespoon Olive Oil
2 pinches Sea Or Kosher Salt
2 Tablespoons Finely Shredded Parmesan Cheese

Preheat broiler. Rinse asparagus, and chop about 1 1/2 inches off the bottom of each spear.

Place the spears on a cookie sheet in a single layer.

Drizzle the olive oil onto the spears, then sprinkle on the salt (to taste).

Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.

Then broil for approximately 5 minutes. The spears will be bright green, and the cheese will be barely toasted. The spears will still be slightly crisp when you bite into them.

http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/sidedishes/parmesan-asparagus-fries/

Shadow
06-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Dinner tonight...wish me luck...I've nver made this before.

Chile Rellenos Chicken

8 Skinless,boneless chicken breast halves
1 C. Taco Cheese (shredded)
1/4 C. chopped onion
1/4 C. Snipped cilantro
2 tsp. chili powder
8 Canned whole green chile peppers,Drained
2 beaten eggs
2 TBSP milk
1/2 C fine dry bread crumbs
1 tsp salt

Place each chicken breast between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Using flat side of a meat mallet,pound each to about 1/4 inch thick. Set aside.

In bowl combine the cheese,onion,cilantro,and half of the chili powder. Stuff chile peppers with this mixture.

Place peppers on top of each flattened chicken breast. Roll up chicken around pepper,folding in sides. Secure with toothpicks if needed.

In shallow dish combine eggs and milk. In another shallow dish stir together bread crumbs and remaining chili powder and salt. Dip chicken rolls in egg...coat with bread crumbs.

Place chicken in 3 qt baking dish. Bake at 375 for about 40 min (or until chicken is no longer pink).

Shadow
06-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Found this while reading the news this morning...sounds interesting and is good for cooking on the grill...

Crazy Corn

Ingredients:

6 fresh ears of corn, husked and rinsed
1 tbsp vegetable oil
Unsalted butter
Mayonnaise
1 cup, crumbled queso cotija or fresco, farmer's cheese or a mild feta
3 limes, halved, to squeeze on top
Kosher or coarse sea salt to taste
Dried ground chile Piquín, Tajín or a Mexican mix, to taste

Brush the ears of corn with a bit of oil. Place over a grill or grill pan, set over medium heat, and let the corn cook and char slightly, turning them every 3 minutes until all the corn is done, anywhere from 9 to 12 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Let everyone decide what they want on their Crazy Corn! You can stick the corn on corn holders or a wooden stick as it gets messy.

The traditional way is to spread butter and a layer of mayo. Then the corn is thoroughly “breaded” or dredged with the crumbled cheese, sprinkled with salt and ground chile and finally, drizzled with freshly squeezed lime juice.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43513649/ns/today-food/

PostmodernProphet
06-25-2011, 03:46 PM
I was reading a local article about raw vs cooked veggies. In it the author was talking about Asparagus fries (which I had never heard of before). I looked them up and they sound great...

Parmesan Asparagus Fries

1 bunch Fresh Asparagus
1½ Tablespoon Olive Oil
2 pinches Sea Or Kosher Salt
2 Tablespoons Finely Shredded Parmesan Cheese

Preheat broiler. Rinse asparagus, and chop about 1 1/2 inches off the bottom of each spear.

Place the spears on a cookie sheet in a single layer.

Drizzle the olive oil onto the spears, then sprinkle on the salt (to taste).

Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.

Then broil for approximately 5 minutes. The spears will be bright green, and the cheese will be barely toasted. The spears will still be slightly crisp when you bite into them.

http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/sidedishes/parmesan-asparagus-fries/

I've made these twice since you posted......really good.....

Shadow
06-25-2011, 03:51 PM

Awesome! I'm making a trip to the farmers market tomorrow morning, so I will probably make some for lunch. Glad you liked them. :)

Dilloduck
06-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Don't play squat tag in the asparagus patch.

Shadow
06-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Don't play squat tag in the asparagus patch.

Your momma tell you that?

Dilloduck
06-25-2011, 04:07 PM
you sayin' somthing bout my momma ?

Shadow
06-25-2011, 04:11 PM
you sayin' somthing bout my momma ?

Who me?

BTW...

Do you know what the height of passion is??

Two old maids playing squat tag in their asparagus patch. ;)

a little garden humor for ya...

Dilloduck
06-25-2011, 04:14 PM
hopefully not with the salted and fried spears

Shadow
06-26-2011, 09:44 AM

I actually went to the farmers market earlier than expected (last night) and made these for dinner. They are really good! :thumb:

Shadow
06-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Making this right now...smells great while baking :)

Very easy and a good way to use up extra bananas

Banana Bread

Ingredients:

3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar (can easily reduce to 3/4 cup)
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour

Method:

Preheat the oven to 350°. With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last, mix. Pour mixture into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.

Add ins for variety:

Coffee
Chocolate chips
Nuts
Kahlua (add more flour to compensate)
Peanut butter
Coconut

Shadow
06-30-2011, 10:04 PM
I make these alot to take to BBQ's. They are really good. You can also cook them in the oven instead of on the grill. The link below also has recipes for grilled apples and polenta cake w/berries if you are interested.

Grilled Stuffed Jalapenos

Ingredients:

2 slices center-cut bacon
1/2 cup (4 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (4 ounces) fat-free cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup minced green onions
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 small garlic clove, minced (optional)
14 jalapeño peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
Cooking spray
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
2 tablespoons chopped seeded tomato

Preparation
Preheat grill to medium-high heat.

Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp.

Remove bacon from pan, and drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon.

Combine crumbled bacon, cheeses, and next 4 ingredients (through garlic) in a bowl, stirring to combine.

Divide cheese evenly and fill the pepper halves.

Place peppers, cheese side up, on grill rack or grill grate coated with cooking spray.

Cover and grill peppers 8 minutes or until bottoms of peppers are charred and cheese mixture is lightly browned.

Place the peppers on a serving platter. Sprinkle with cilantro and tomato.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43593077/ns/today-food/

Kathianne
06-30-2011, 11:20 PM
Oh those sound simply delicious! thanks!

Shadow
07-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Ingredients:

3 tablespoons vegetable or light olive oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon mild curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 cup coconut milk
3 pounds chicken wings
1 cup flaked sweetened coconut

Instructions:

In a large bowl, whisk together the first seven ingredients, then whisk in the coconut milk. Reserve and refrigerate 1/2 cup of the mixture divided evenly in two containers.

Cut off the tips of the wings (reserve them for stock or discard), then halve the wings at the joint. Place them in the bowl and toss them with the marinade. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least an hour, but preferably overnight.

Just before grilling the wings, toast the coconut in a medium-size skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Pour the flakes onto a plate and allow them to cool, then lightly crumble the flakes with your fingers and set them aside.

Prepare the grill for cooking and oil the grates. Grill the wings 8 to 10 minutes per side, turning once, or until the meat is no longer pink inside. Use one container of the reserved marinade to baste the meat at each turn.

As the wings finish cooking, warm the other container of reserved marinade in a small saucepan until heated through.

Transfer the cooked wings to a platter and coat them with the warmed marinade. Sprinkle the wings with the toasted coconut and serve them immediately. Serves 6 as a main dish or 12 as an appetizer.

http://familyfun.go.com/4th-of-july/4th-of-july-recipes/patriotic-recipes/coconut-chicken-wings-699690/

Shadow
07-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Really good...made similar ones at christmas with different holiday colors and sprinkles. Picture at link. :thumb:

Revolutionary Berries

Ingredients :

12 ounces white chocolate chips
Strawberries
Blue sugar or edible glitter

Instructions :

Melt 12 ounces of white chocolate chips in a microwave according to the package directions (make sure the container and the berries are dry; even a little moisture will alter the texture of the candy).

One at a time, dip strawberries into the chocolate and then into blue sugar or edible glitter.

Set them to harden on waxed paper.

Makes 35 to 45 decorated berries.

http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/revolutionary-berries-1015611/

Shadow
07-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Saw these in a magazine at the orthodonist's office yesterday...they looked like something easy to make that you could take anywhere. They definately look like the kind of thing I would take on picnics or something similar because they are kid friendly...decided to share.

Rice Krispy Dipper Treats

3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows
- OR -
4 cups miniature marshmallows
6 cups Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® cereal
- OR -
6 cups Kellogg's® Cocoa Krispies® cereal
18 wooden ice cream sticks
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- OR -
1 1/2 cups white chocolate morsels
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Multi-colored sprinkles (optional)

1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat. Add KELLOGG’S RICE KRISPIES cereal. Stir until well coated.

2. Using buttered spatula or wax paper, evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool. Cut into eighteen 3 x 2-inch bars. Push one stick into the bottom of each bar.

3. In small microwave-safe bowl combine chocolate morsels and oil. Microwave on high for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Dip bars into chocolate and decorate as you like. Place on wax paper lined baking sheet. Refrigerate until chocolate is set. Best if served the same day.

MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS: In microwave-safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow steps 2 and 3 above. Microwave cooking times may vary.

Notes:

For best results, use fresh marshmallows.

1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow crème can be substituted for marshmallows.

Diet, reduced calorie or tub margarine is not recommended.

Pictures at link

http://www.ricekrispies.com/recipes/rice-krispies-treats-on-a-stick.aspx#/recipes/rice-krispies-dipper-treats

Shadow
07-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Was dinner...yum :).

Moo Goo Gai Pan

3 boneless chicken breasts (cut up)
1/3 cup oil
3 slices ginger
2 garlic cloves
1 1/2 cups chicken stock (99% free works)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 lb sliced mushrooms
1/4 lb snow peas
1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts (drained)
1 (8 ounce) can bamboo shoots (drained)
1/4 cup carrots (thin sticks)
4 green onions (sliced)
1/2 cup broccoli, florets (small)

Preheat Wok.
Swirl oil around sides.
When oil is hot add ginger and garlic.
Brown and then discard.
Add chicken - cook 4 minutes.
Combine chicken stock and corn starch.
Pour over chicken and reduce heat.
Add all vegetables.
Cover and simmer about 15 minutes.
Season with soy sauce and serve over rice immediately.

Shadow
07-20-2011, 10:20 PM
This one is good too.

Shrimp With Snow Peas

Ingredients:

2/3 lb. tiger prawns, shelled and deveined, dry
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 lb. snow peas

Marinade:

1 1/2 tsp. sherry
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. grated ginger
1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. water

Sauce:

1 Tbsp. chicken broth
3 Tbsps. oyster sauce
3 Tbsps. water 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1 Tbsps. hoisin sauce

Directions:

Combine marinade in bowl. Add prawns and mix well. Let stand for 1/2 hour. Heat wok over medium heat, add oil. When oil is hot, stir fry garlic for 15 secs. Add prawns and stir fry until pink. Remove from wok, and place on plate. Add salt and snow peas to oil in wok. Stir fry 30 secs. Add sauce’s ingredients and stir slightly until thickened. Add cooked prawns. Stir to coat everything with sauce. Serve hot with cooked rice.

Shadow
08-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Found in a BJG magazine decided to share:

Cream Cheese Ice Cream

ingredients

5 cups half-and-half or light cream
2-1/2 cups sugar
4 beaten eggs
3 8-ounce packages cream cheese or reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel), softened
1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla
Fresh bl
blueberries, nectarines, and/or dark cherries (optional)
directions

In a large saucepan combine 3 cups of the half-and-half or light cream, the sugar, and eggs. Cook and stir over medium heat just until boiling. In a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth; gradually beat in hot mixture. Cover and chill thoroughly.
Stir in remaining half-and-half, lemon peel, lemon juice, and vanilla. Freeze in a 4- or 5-quart ice cream freezer according to the directions. Ripen 4 hours. Garnish each serving with choice of fresh fruit, if desired. Makes about 3 quarts (24 servings).

Shadow
08-13-2011, 07:30 PM
Dublin Eggnog

ingredients

3 cups dairy eggnog
2 cups double-strength coffee
4 to 6 ounces Irish whiskey
Sugar (optional)
Whipped cream
Ground nutmeg
directions

Heat eggnog and coffee in a small saucepan. Do not boil. Remove from heat. Stir in whiskey. Pour into 6 Irish coffee cups or mugs. Top each with whipped cream and nutmeg. Makes 6 servings.

Shadow
09-02-2011, 10:54 PM
Dinner sometime this weekend (another from Real Simple Magazine).

Roasted Pork Chops and PeachesIngredients

1 10-ounce package couscous (http://www.debatepolicy.com/food-recipes/ingredients-guide/couscous-00000000039302/index.html)
1 tablespoon olive oil (http://www.debatepolicy.com/food-recipes/ingredients-guide/oils-00000000039335/index.html)
4 bone-in pork chops (3/4 inch thick; about 2 pounds total) (http://www.debatepolicy.com/food-recipes/ingredients-guide/pork-00000000039351/index.html)
kosher salt and black pepper
2 peaches, cut into wedges (http://www.debatepolicy.com/food-recipes/ingredients-guide/peaches-00000000039344/index.html)
1 small red onion, cut into thin wedges (http://www.debatepolicy.com/food-recipes/ingredients-guide/onions-00000000039337/index.html)
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar (http://www.debatepolicy.com/food-recipes/ingredients-guide/vinegar-00000000039385/index.html)
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves (http://www.debatepolicy.com/food-recipes/ingredients-guide/basil-00000000039264/index.html)

Directions
Heat oven to 400° F. Cook the couscous according to the package directions.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.
Season the pork with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook until browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
Add the peaches, onion, vinegar, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper to the skillet and cook, tossing, for 1 minute.
Return the pork (and any accumulated juices) to the skillet. Transfer to oven and roast until the pork is cooked through and the peaches are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
Sprinkle the pork and peaches with the basil and serve with the couscous.

Pic at link

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/roasted-pork-chops-peaches-00000000037839/index.html

PostmodernProphet
09-03-2011, 07:16 AM
it's going to be a grillin' weekend.......I have some chicken sausages with Italian seasoning......I've got some hamburger patties.....I've got some boneless country style pork ribs.....beans, coleslaw, watermelon.....

KarlMarx
09-03-2011, 07:32 AM
Get a bunch of fresh tomatoes (use the round juicy ones if you can)
Put them in the water that you are boiling the pasta in
Once the water gets hot or close to boiling, take out the tomatoes

Then throw in your pasta

(Do this part while boiling the pasta)
Without burning yourself, peel the skins off of the tomatoes
Dice the tomatoes with a knife
Now put them in a frying pan, medium heat, add olive oil, basil, oregano, and garlic and a dash of salt (you can experiment with the ingredients, I think olive oil makes it taste the best)
Cover it up and let them tomatoes simmer, stirring on occasion

After a while the tomatoes will break down into a sauce....

Once that is done, put the tomato sauce you made on the pasta

Eat, enjoy, wash the dishes, watch Roman Holiday on TV and listen to Jerry Vale! :)

Shadow
12-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Salty-and-sweet mini caramel pears with peanuts

Ingredients

1 16-ounce box dark brown sugar
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cup dark corn syrup
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter at room temperature, plus more for baking sheets
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon molasses
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup whipping cream
24 8-inch wooden popsicle sticks
24 mini pears, such as Forelles, unpeeled (see note)
2 cups chopped roasted, salted peanuts
PreparationTo make the caramel, in a 2 1/2-quart heavy-bottomed saucepot over medium-low heat combine the first 8 ingredients. Cook, stirring often with a wooden spoon and occasionally brushing the inside edge of the pot with a wet pastry brush, until the sugar dissolves, about 15 minutes.

Increase the heat to medium high and cook at a rolling boil, stirring constantly but slowly with a wooden spoon, until the caramel reaches 236 degrees F on a candy thermometer, 12 more minutes, continuing to brush the inside edge of the pot with a wet pastry brush as needed. Pour the caramel into a metal bowl (do not scrape the pot out); submerge the thermometer bulb into the caramel to cool, without stirring until the temperature drops to 200 degrees F, about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile line 2 baking sheets with parchment and butter the parchment. Insert 1 stick into the top of each pear, pushing it half way down into the pear. Holding the end of the stick, dip the pear into the cooled caramel, submerging all but the very top-end of the fruit, allowing the excess caramel to drip back into the bowl.

Turn the pear right side up to let the caramel set. Place the pear onto the prepared baking sheets. Repeat this process with the remaining pears and caramel, spacing the pears about 2 inches apart (the caramel may pool on the baking sheet). If the caramel becomes too thick to dip, whisk in 1 to 2 tablespoons of the cream, or as needed, and gently reheat the caramel in the bowl over a very low heat, stirring until it thins.

Refrigerate the coated pears until the caramel is partially set, about 15 minutes. Lift the pears one by one off the parchment and, using your hands, press and pull the cooling caramel around the fruit to cover it completely. Roll the coated pears in the crushed peanuts; let them rest about an hour before serving.

A few other interesting pear recipes at link

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45494199/ns/today-food/

Shadow
12-25-2011, 09:48 AM
This looked and sounded good...pic at link

Cheesy Eggs and Sausage Croissant Casserole
Ingredients

1 Dozen eggs
1 Container Reduced fat crescent rolls
6 Precooked sausage patties
2 Cup shredded sharp cheddar
Splash of milk
Preparation

Step 1:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a glass casserole dish
Step 2:

Open the crescent rolls and do not separate them, place the sheet of rolls in the bottom of the pan.
Step 3:

Press together the creases (dotted lines where the rolls break off).
Step 4:

Sprinkle 1 cup of cheddar cheese over the top of the crescent roll sheet.
Step 5:

Mix the eggs in a mixing bowl with a splash of milk.
Step 6:

Pour the egg mix over the roll/cheese base.
Step 7:

Chop 6 sausage patties and place evenly across the top of the egg mixture
Step 8:

Top with remaining cheese, salt, and pepper.
Step 9:

Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until the top is set.
Cook’s Note:

You can add salsa, peppers, or onions to the eggs for a spicy casserole.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/recipe/cheesy-eggs-and-sausage-croissant-casserole#ixzz1hYeqxwUw

Shadow
12-31-2011, 12:08 PM
My kids new favorite thing...Nutella. Never thought to make cookies with it,but I might now...here is a recipe I found.

Chocolate Nutella cookies Barbara Giacometti, Home Chef Challenge winner
Ingredients

1 cup plus 1/2 cup unbleached flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter unsalted (one stick)
1/2 cup regular sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon hazelnut extract (If you cannot find Hazelnut extract, increase your vanilla by only 1/2 teaspoon)
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup Nutella
1/4 cup of flour spread in a plate, for coating hands so your mixture won’t stick to your hands. (Lightly pat your hands in the flour and dust away before handling your cookie dough).
PreparationInto your bowl sift together all your dry ingredients. Set aside.

Into another bowl of an electric mixer (or you can use a hand mixer, but hold on to the bowl), cream together you butter and sugars, add your extract.
Add your dry ingredients a little at a time. Add about half way, add your milk. Continue with the rest of your dry ingredients. Add your Nutella last. It will come together like a thick paste. Cover with your plastic wrap. Place in your refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.

Remove your bowl from the refrigerator. Preheat your oven at 325. Place some flour into your plate. Coat your hands with flour. Shape your cookies. Spoon some of your mixture (about 2 inches) into your hand and shape into a ball. Place on parchment lined baking sheet 2 inches apart.

Using a bottom of a drinking glass, dip the bottom into the flour and dust off the access. Flatten your cookie dough on your baking sheet. Your cookies should not stick to the bottom of your glass. If it does, gently peel it away and place back on your pan. You can dust away the excess flour, or simply turn your cookie over on the baking sheet to the darker side.

Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes. I took them out right at 10 minutes. Place on wire rack to cool.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45807191/ns/today-food/

Shadow
01-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Dark chocolate s'mores with chocolate sorbet

Ingredients

4 graham crackers (1 per person broken in half)
1 pint favorite store bought chocolate sorbet
6 oz. 72% bitter sweet chocolate melted, 2 oz. 72% bitter sweet chocolate set aside for garnish
1 container marshmallow fluff
2-3 pecan praline clusters
PreparationPre-heat oven to broiler setting. Break graham crackers in half and spoon one side of each graham with melted dark chocolate, place on a tray and refrigerate for 5 minutes until chocolate is firm.

Remove from refrigerator and place one half of chocolate dipped graham cracker onto a plate.

Top with one scoop of chocolate sorbet, then spoon a dollop of marshmallow fluff over sorbet, put the plate into your ovens broiler 8-10 seconds until marshmallow fluff is toasted golden-brown.

Remove from oven and top with the second graham cracker cookie. Take one piece each of praline and chocolate and put into a rotary cheese grater and grate over the top of S'mores to finish. Serve immediately.

Recipe for eggplant and shrimp soup also at link..

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45899089/ns/today-food/

Shadow
01-15-2012, 10:35 AM
Kiefer Sutherland's Minute Steak with Mushroom Gravy recipe

Source: TV Guide Celebrity Recipes

1 pound minute steaks, cut into four pieces (500g)
1 butter (15 mL)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (15 mL)
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups mushrooms, sliced (500 mL)
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (15 mL)
1/2 cup beef stock (125 mL)
1/2 cup red wine or beef stock (125 mL)
1 tablespoon red currant or grape jelly (15 mL)

In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat; cook steaks for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until well browned. Remove from skillet and set aside.

Add to skillet; reduce heat to medium and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add sliced mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until mushrooms are golden brown, about 3 minutes.

Sprinkle with flour, stirring to mix well; add beef stock, wine and jelly. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until gravy thickens. Return steaks to mushroom gravy and simmer for 2 minutes or until heated through, turning once.

Makes 4 servings.
<!--webbot bot="Include" tag="BODY" u-include="../_includes/main.html" startspan -->

Shadow
01-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Meg Ryan's Cranberry Almond Bread recipe

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
3 eggs
1 almond extract
1 (16 ounce) can whole cranberry sauce
3/4 cup sour cream

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir to mix.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer, gradually beat sugar into butter. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in almond extract.

Stir together cranberry sauce and sour cream. In several batches, add dry ingredients to butter mixture alternately with cranberry sour cream, beating until blended. Batter will be thick. Turn into Bundt pan; smooth top.

Bake 1 hour 10 minutes, or until cake is nicely browned on top and beginning to pull away from sides of pan. Let cool 10 minutes, then run a dull knife around inside and outer edges of pan to loosen. Unmold onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely before slicing.

Gunny
01-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Jess makes the BEST pinto beans EVER. In perspective, from a Southern boy to Yankee, that's a compliment. Outdoing my grandma is a bit of a feat.

Shadow
01-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Jess makes the BEST pinto beans EVER. In perspective, from a Southern boy to Yankee, that's a compliment. Outdoing my grandma is a bit of a feat.

I love pinto beans. One trick that my grandma taught me was to cook them on the stove instead of a crock pot (and to add pork...on my own sometimes I add green chilies). I haven't made them in awhile though...no one here will eat them but me.

Gunny
01-15-2012, 11:05 AM
I love pinto beans. One trick that my grandma taught me was to cook them on the stove instead of a crock pot (and to add pork...on my own sometimes I add green chilies). I haven't made them in awhile though...no one here will eat them but me.

My grandma didn't know what a crock pot was.

We always would have a ham, then cook the pintos with the ham bone and whatever was left on it. Jess slices up onions and adds them to it which makes a BIG difference. Between the two of us, we made something I actually like (I'm not much into food). Even larry, Curly and Moe liked them. Can't beat that.

Shadow
01-15-2012, 11:17 AM
My grandma didn't know what a crock pot was.

We always would have a ham, then cook the pintos with the ham bone and whatever was left on it. Jess slices up onions and adds them to it which makes a BIG difference. Between the two of us, we made something I actually like (I'm not much into food). Even larry, Curly and Moe liked them. Can't beat that.

My mother loves the crock pot...but cooking things on the stove (like my grandma did) seems to make the sauce/gravy/broth thicker when you cook certain things...like beans or stew for instance. It's best that way IMO.

Adding onions sounds good...I will try it next time. They definately make a huge difference when you make Posole too. When the munchkins like what you cook you know you are doing good. They are the biggest critics sometimes. :)

Me...I'm not a picky eater...and I'm kinda lucky in that regard because my kids aren't either,there is only a very small list of things they won't eat

Gunny
01-15-2012, 11:22 AM
My mother loves the crock pot...but cooking things on the stove (like my grandma did) seems to make the sauce/gravy/broth thicker when you cook certain things...like beans or stew for instance. It's best that way IMO.

Adding onions sounds good...I will try it next time. They definately make a huge difference when you make Posole too. When the munchkins like what you cook you know you are doing good. They are the biggest critics sometimes. :)

Me...I'm not a picky eater...and I'm kinda lucky in that regard because my kids aren't either,there is only a very small list of things they won't eat

We have one that would critique boiled water if not boiled the way he wants it.

Jess
01-15-2012, 11:25 AM

Just slice them up and leave them in big chunks. Then if you want, you can eat them or for people who don't care for onions - they're easy to remove. But they do finish off the beans and ham. My mom taught me that one.

Mom cooked three full, balanced meals from scratch for at least seven people, six days a week, for years. I don't know how she did it, to be honest. Sundays we had a big breakfast, big lunch and then just snacked on popcorn and stuff after church in the evening.

She still is the most awesome cook ever. And she can bake desserts like no one else.:thumb:

ConHog
01-15-2012, 03:24 PM
We have one that would critique boiled water if not boiled the way he wants it.

My son's that way. PIcky as all get out. No wonder he only weighs 135 lbs at 19 years old

Jess
01-15-2012, 03:27 PM
My son's that way. PIcky as all get out. No wonder he only weighs 135 lbs at 19 years old

He's learning not to be so picky. This is what we have - eat it.

He's not underweight or anything either. Goofy little blighter.

Gaffer
01-15-2012, 09:16 PM

If you want to thicken it up in the crock pot take the lid off about an hour before serving.

Shadow
01-17-2012, 11:28 PM
If you want to thicken it up in the crock pot take the lid off about an hour before serving.

I will have to try that...once I dig out my crock pot. It's been a very long time since I have used it.

chloe
02-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Pecan Crusted Seitan

Ingredients
for the marinade
3/4 Cup tomato paste
1/4 Cup umeboshi vinegar
1/4 Cup dry red wine
1/2 Cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 Cup shoyu
1/4 Cup minced garlic
1/4 Cup chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp minced fresh tarragon (or 1 tbsp dried)
2 Tbsp minced fresh rosemary
8-10 Pieces plain seitan (about 1 pound)

for frying the seitan
2 Cups all purpose flour
1/2 Tsp fine sea salt
1/2 Tsp fine sea salt
1/2 Tsp ground black pepper
1 Cup ground pecans
2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
1/4 Cup extra-virgin olive oil (per batch of seitan)

Instructions

1) In a blender combine the tomato paste, vinegar, wine, orange juice, shoyu, garlic, parsley, tarragon, and rosemary until smooth. Transfer the marinade to a shallow, sealable dish then add the seitan (turning to coat both sides with marinade). Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours (or overnight).2) When ready to serve, mix together in a shallow bowl the flour, salt, pepper, pecans, and rosemary. Dredge the marinated seitan in the flour mixture so that both sides are coated with flour.

3) Heat the oil in a sauté pan then add the seitan cutlets to the pan. Sauté until golden brown on both sides (about 2 to 3 minutes per side). Add more olive oil to the pan if needed and continue sautéing seitan cutlets. Serve immediately.

Jess
02-12-2012, 10:13 AM
What is seitan? I've never heard of it.

Not that that is saying much ... :laugh:

chloe
02-12-2012, 11:21 AM
What is seitan? I've never heard of it.

Not that that is saying much ... :laugh:

The wheat meat;)

Shadow
02-28-2012, 10:57 PM
Found this while reading a news article. Creator of recipe says you can substitute any kind of your fave soda instead of the diet coke. Interesting recipe.

Diet Pepsi chocolate chunk cookie

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 extra-large egg, at room temperature
1 tablespoon Diet (http://hedygoldsmith.tumblr.com/post/18138417860/diet-pepsi-choc-chunk-cookies) Pepsi, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (http://hedygoldsmith.tumblr.com/post/18138417860/diet-pepsi-choc-chunk-cookies) or pure vanilla extract
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, cut into ½ inch chunks

Preparation:
Sift the flour and baking powder. Set aside.

Using an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat the butter on medium speed for about 3 minutes until soft and smooth. Add the brown sugar, granulated sugar and beat on medium-high speed for 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the egg, Diet Pepsi and vanilla and beat for 1 to 2 minutes until just blended. Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until just combined. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl. Stir until just blended.

Using a 3-tablespoon ice cream scoop, shape the dough into balls and arrange them close together on a large plate or small baking sheet (http://hedygoldsmith.tumblr.com/post/18138417860/diet-pepsi-choc-chunk-cookies). Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour until well chilled.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with non-stick liners. Arrange the chilled dough on the prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Using the palm of your hand, flatten each dough mound slightly.

Bake for 12 minutes, switching the baking sheets positions halfway through baking, until light golden brown. Let cool completely.

Complete article at link

http://bites.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/27/10519902-sweet-satisfaction-diet-pepsi-chocolate-chunk-cookies

Shadow
04-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Strawberry Cheesecake Cookies

Ingredients

1 Cup all-purpose flour
1/2 Teaspoon table salt
6 Tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
5 Tablespoon cream cheese, softened
1/2 Cup granulated sugar
1 Egg
1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Cup chopped fresh strawberries

Preparation

Step 1:

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees; line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
Step 2:

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt; set aside.
Step 3:

In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and cream cheese on high speed until light and creamy. Add sugar and beat until mixture is light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until well combined. Reduce mixer speed to low and stir in flour mixture just until combined.
Step 4:

Remove bowl from mixer and fold in strawberries.
Step 5:

Use a medium cookie dough scoop (~2 tablespoons) to place cookie dough balls on prepared baking sheets 1-2 inches apart. Bake cookies for about 10 minutes or until tops are firm.
Step 6:

Allow to cool on cooling racks and serve immediately. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to two days

Picture at link

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/recipe/strawberry-cheesecake-cookies?intcmp=features#ixzz1s2SCFH00

cadet
04-19-2012, 11:46 AM
I'll give you a recipe, i can cook it like no other. it's kinda complicated, so pay attention.

boil water,
add macaroni.
drain water.
add cheese.
stir.

ConHog
04-19-2012, 01:17 PM
I'll give you a recipe, i can cook it like no other. it's kinda complicated, so pay attention.

boil water,
add macaroni.
drain water.
add cheese.
stir.

:rollseyes:

a REAL mac and cheese recipe

Ingredients

8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 cups milk
1/4 cup butter
2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 pinch paprika
salt and pepper to taste. I use sea salt and white pepper instead of black

Directions

Cook macaroni according to the package directions. Drain.
In a saucepan, melt butter or margarine over medium heat. Stir in enough flour to make a roux. Add milk to roux slowly, stirring constantly. Stir in cheeses, and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce is a little thick. Put macaroni in large casserole dish, and pour sauce over macaroni. Stir well.
Melt butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and brown. Spread over the macaroni and cheese to cover. Sprinkle with a little paprika.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Serve.

You're welcome

Shadow
04-22-2012, 12:22 PM

boil water,
add macaroni.
drain water.
add cheese.
stir.

Sounds similar to one of our favorite quickie lunches.

Boil water
Add Rotini Noodles
Drain.
Add Ragu Alfredo Sauce
Stir.

When we are really daring we add green chile :)

Shadow
04-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Garth's Breakfast Bowl

From the kitchen of Trisha Yearwood

Servings:4

Difficulty: Easy

Cook Time: <time itemprop="cookTime" datetime="PT15M">1-30</time> min

"Garth likes to cook breakfast. It's wonderful to sleep in and wake up to the smell of bacon cooking. Don't be too jealous, but he always has a fresh pot of coffee already made, too! He created this breakfast bowl because he wanted something really hearty. He's the first person I ever met who puts pasta with eggs and bacon, but it works, and it tastes great! If you're really hungry, all the better if you're going to eat one of these breakfast bowls. Don't worry if you can't finish it; Garth will come along later and "clean up"!"
-Trisha Yearwood

Ingredients2 tablespoons butter
8 large eggs
1 16-ounce bag frozen hash browns or Tater Tots, thawed
1 pound pork sausage
1 pound bacon
1 9-ounce package cheese and roasted garlic tortellini
10 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, grated (about 2½ cups)
Cooking DirectionsIn a large skillet, melt the butter and scramble the eggs.

In a separate large skillet, cook the hash browns according to package directions.

In a third large skillet, break up the sausage with a wooden spoon and cook until browned.

Drain off the excess fat. Transfer the sausage to a bowl. Cook the bacon in the same skillet. Drain on paper towels and set aside.

Cook the tortellini according to the package directions. Layer a large bowl with hash browns, sausage, bacon, tortellini, eggs, and cheese.

Any potato will do. Garth's even been known to use french fries! I sometimes fry an egg sunny side up and pile it on top of Garth's bowl. He likes the way the yolk oozes into the dish.

Serves 4

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Breakfast/recipe?id=10262078

cadet
04-24-2012, 09:48 AM
personally, i make a mean hot ham and cheese.

bread,
mayo,
ham,
cheese,
microwave for 30 sec.

I get the feeling I'm going to hate my cooking this summer... (Taking summer courses, gonna be cooking ALOT...) :uhoh:

fj1200
04-24-2012, 12:49 PM
^You need to start taking cooking lessons from mom. Figure out how she makes the stuff you like.

Shadow
05-21-2012, 09:05 PM
One of my friends made this and brought it to work today...sooo good. She calls it Crack :)

10 oz Saltine crackers
1 1/2 C butter
1 1/2 C brown sugar
24 oz bag chocolate chips
2 cups chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a 10x15 inch cookie sheet with aluminum foil.

Place crackers in a singe layer over prepared cookie sheet. Use more or fewer crackers as needed to cover the bottom of your pan.

In a small saucepan over low heat combine butter and brown sugar; bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes; pour over crackers.

Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes. Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over the top. Sprinkle almonds over chocolate chips; using the back of a wooden spoon, press nuts into chocolate.

Chill in refrigerator for at least 3 hours, or until set. Break into pieces and store, sealed, in refrigerator.

Dilloduck
05-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Diet foods rock !! :cheers2:

Shadow
06-19-2012, 08:58 AM
Diet foods rock !! :cheers2:

Anyone else on a diet? :)

Here is some diet food that sounds yummy (looks good too...picture at link). Can even counter that Bacon Ice cream sundae.

Skinny Strawberry Salsa Salad

2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped red onion
1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
Juice of 1 lime
3 cups Dole baby spinach leaves

Instructions:

Stir together the chopped strawberries, red onion, balsamic vinegar, pepper, mint and lime juice.
Allow flavors to blend for 10 minutes and serve over baby spinach.

Read more: http://magazine.foxnews.com/recipe/skinny-strawberry-salsa-salad#ixzz1yFP50IM3

DragonStryk72
06-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Chicken Lasagna

9 uncooked lasagna noodles

2 cans (10 3/4oz each) cream of chicken soup (Can also sub in Cream of Mushroom), undiluted

2/3 cup milk

2 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (keep in mind, no large pieces since they have to fit in between the noodles)

2 cups cubed, cooked chicken

18 slices Provolone cheese

cook noodles according to package directions; drain. in a large saucepan, combine soup and milk. cook and stir over low heat until blended. remove from heat; stir in vegetables and chicken.
in a greased 13x9x2 baking dish, layer three noodles, a third of the soup mixture and six cheese slices. repeat layers twice.
cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly. let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.

Shadow
07-01-2012, 11:37 AM
RECIPE: Blueberry Slump
A sticky biscuit dough is dropped onto blueberries in this classic New England dessert, which is called a "slump," "grunt," or "cobbler," depending on who you're asking.

SERVES 8

INGREDIENTS
2 cups flour
1 ¾ cups sugar, plus more for sprinkling
4 ½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
1 ¼ cups milk
1 ½ lb. blueberries
1 cup fresh orange juice
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
Vanilla ice cream, for serving

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Whisk together flour, ¼ cup sugar, baking powder, and ½ tsp. salt in a large bowl; add butter, and using your fingers, rub butter into flour until pea-size crumbles form. Add milk, and stir just until a moist dough forms; cover and refrigerate dough until ready to use.

2. Heat oven to 400°. Bring remaining sugar and salt along with blueberries and citrus juices to a boil in a 12″ cast-iron or enamelware skillet over high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove pan from heat, and using two tablespoons, portion and form chilled dough into 2 to 3″ oval dumplings, and drop them evenly on top of the blueberry mixture. Sprinkle dough dumplings with sugar, and transfer skillet to oven; bake until biscuits are cooked through and blueberry mixture is reduced, about 25 minutes. Serve hot with vanilla ice cream, if you like.

Picture at link

http://shine.yahoo.com/dessert-guide/easy-blueberry-desserts-summer-quick-cobblers-slumps-crisps-190600666.html

Shadow
07-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Low-Cal Fourth of July Cheesecake

Ingredients:

1 pre-made graham cracker pie crust
1 (8 oz) package reduced fat cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar substitute (or 2 teaspoons Stevia, or to taste)
3/4 cup low fat cottage cheese (pureed in a blender until smooth)
1 whole egg
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 small lemon, juiced (or 2 tablespoons lemon juice)
1/4 cup blueberries
1/3 cup low sugar strawberry preserves

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 8×8 baking dish with foil (to ensure easy removal of bars), and spray foil with non-stick cooking spray.
Remove graham cracker crust from pre-made pan, and crumble/press it down, re-forming it into your foil-lined pan. Put crust into the oven to bake for 8 minutes, then remove from oven.
While crust is baking, combine all of the ingredients, (except for the strawberry jam and blueberries), with a hand-held mixer until smooth.
Pour filling over graham cracker crust and smooth with a spatula.
Drop jam (by the spoon-full) over cheesecake filling. Drag a spoon (or knife) gently through the filling to create marbling. Drop blueberries evenly over cheesecake. Place in the oven, bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cheesecake is almost set in the center. Let cool. Place in the refrigerator for a few hours, or overnight.
Remove from the refrigerator and use foil to lift entire cheesecake out of pan and onto a cutting board. Cut into 12 even bars. (Tip: To keep clean lines, use a pizza cutter and wipe the blade with a paper towel between each cut.) Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Read more: http://magazine.foxnews.com/recipe/low-cal-fourth-july-cheesecake#ixzz1zcIgpYwR

ringotuna
07-04-2012, 05:32 AM
Cornbread salad.

Everything you can think to throw into a tossed salad. Carrots, Tomato, Celery, Bell Peppers, Onion, etc. Instead of lettuce, crumble in some day old cornbread and re-moisten with a little ranch or other creamy dressing. Good stuff...a Thanksgiving tradition here @ Rancho del Ringo.

Shadow
07-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Cornbread salad.

Everything you can think to throw into a tossed salad. Carrots, Tomato, Celery, Bell Peppers, Onion, etc. Instead of lettuce, crumble in some day old cornbread and re-moisten with a little ranch or other creamy dressing. Good stuff...a Thanksgiving tradition here @ Rancho del Ringo.

Sounded really interesting so I looked it up online to see what the finished product looked like. Decided that it looks sooo good I may have to make some for our next pot luck at work (maybe even this weekend for the brats...along with a BBQ) :)

Kinda reminds me of a layered mexican dip. Same kind of concept.

ringotuna
07-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Sounded really interesting so I looked it up online to see what the finished product looked like. Decided that it looks sooo good I may have to make some for our next pot luck at work (maybe even this weekend for the brats...along with a BBQ) :)

Kinda reminds me of a layered mexican dip. Same kind of concept.

I never thought to google it, but sure enough, there it is. I always just kind of followed my mom's recipee.

Shadow
07-30-2012, 01:20 AM
More diet food for anyone interested. :)

13 Easy Pizza Recipes Under 400 Calories

Pizza often gets lumped in with junk food, but the right slice can be filled with antioxidants, fiber, and calcium. Try our 13 light pizzas that include classic pies as well as barbecue chicken, vegetarian, and white pizza recipes.

Basil and Tomato Pizza

Ingredients

1 (14-ounce) whole-wheat refrigerated pizza crust dough
All-purpose flour and cornmeal, as needed
2 large garlic cloves, sliced
1/2 cuppreshredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)
1/4 cupgrated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 ouncesprosciutto
3/4 poundassorted tomatoes, halved
1/2 cupfresh basil leaves
1/8 teaspooncrushed red pepper

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 550°. Place dough on a lightly floured surface; roll into a 13-inch round. Sprinkle a baking sheet with cornmeal, and place dough on top; top with remaining ingredients.

2. Bake on bottom rack until cheese is melted and crust is crisp (about 8 minutes). Slice into 8 pieces; serve.

12 more at link...

http://health.yahoo.net/articles/nutrition/photos/13-easy-pizza-recipes-under-400-calories#0