PDA

View Full Version : Houghton Lake man turns Vietnam memories into book

chloe
01-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Houghton Lake resident William C. Stodgel has published a book about his experiences in Vietnam.

Stodgel's 383-page book, "Drafted," realistically depicts his experiences while serving in the 7th Battalion 8th Artillery and 1st Battalion 27th Artillery from 1966 to 1968. The battalions supported the 9th Infantry and 25th Infantry.

Pfc. Stodgel traveled from the north along the Cambodian border to the south into the Mekong delta. He spent a lot of time near the Ho Chi Minh Trail.

"There's a lot of rough stuff in there," he said. "It's not a kids' book."
Stodgel said the book took about a year to write, based on notes he had written as memories cropped up. He completed it in 2006, six years after he had a near-death experience.

Having lost over 100 pounds, he was in good shape when he noticed pain in his left arm. Doctors discovered he had a 95% blockage in his heart and inserted a stent. Soon afterward, he developed a blood clot in his leg, resulting in a two-week hospital stay.

Wanting to leave something for his grandchildren, he decided to get serious about writing his book.

Stodgel had previous experience writing while he attend Kirtland Community College in the mid-1980's. Working as an English and math tutor, he won a scholarship to Cranbrook's Fine Writers Guild conference. He qualified for the three-day conference based on a "true category" essay he wrote about the death of a friend of his. He also had six "I Was There" articles published in Soldier of Fortune.

"I didn't really quit writing," he said. He just jotted down notes as he recalled memories.

Stodgel said recalling events was cathartic for him.
"It was very helpful," he said. "I had stewed about it for years."
Having been one of the 1 in 10 soldiers who saw combat in Vietnam, he suffered from nightmares throughout the years.

"I put it to bed," he said. "I can finally live with it."
He said he remembered the names of the guys he served with, but changed their names in consideration of their families.

Stodgel said the original print version was issued in 2006, but because typographical errors were found, it was reissued in August, 2007.
He has no idea how many books he has sold online- perhaps 100 or 200, he said.

"Drafted" is available at the on-line Barnes & Noble, Borders Books and Amazon.com web sites or order it at stores. The publisher is Outskirts Press. The paperback is $16.95 and the hardcover is $25.95, Stodgel said, but the price varies depending on the seller.

Stodgel, who has had a home at Houghton Lake for the past 20 years, is a team leader in the robotics division at GM Metal Fab in Grand Blanc. These days he is working a lot of overtime, but plans to retire in a few years.

http://www.houghtonlakeresorter.com/news/2008-02-21/happenings/066.html

Gaffer
01-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Sounds like an interesting read. Must be nice to have thought ahead enough to make notes and have a good memory as well. I only remember bits and pieces.

Binky
01-02-2010, 01:14 AM
Sounds like an interesting read. Must be nice to have thought ahead enough to make notes and have a good memory as well. I only remember bits and pieces.

It took my hubby 15 years after he got out of the army, to take notes on everything he could remember.....and another couple of years to compile it all together. After that, it took at least a year get it into a readable form. Then I went thru it, cover to cover, twice, and edited it....When he found a publisher, they went thru again and reedited it.....They would send him page numbers that they questioned throughout and he would clarify for them...... So it was a long process. It's all true experiences and his take on what he saw and went thru.......

Gaffer
01-02-2010, 11:04 AM
It took my hubby 15 years after he got out of the army, to take notes on everything he could remember.....and another couple of years to compile it all together. After that, it took at least a year get it into a readable form. Then I went thru it, cover to cover, twice, and edited it....When he found a publisher, they went thru again and reedited it.....They would send him page numbers that they questioned throughout and he would clarify for them...... So it was a long process. It's all true experiences and his take on what he saw and went thru.......

So are we talking about the same book here, or a different one?

Binky
01-02-2010, 02:04 PM
So are we talking about the same book here, or a different one?

I'm talking about Drafted. Is that the one you are referring to?