PDA

View Full Version : Hug your Mom!

glockmail
01-03-2010, 11:21 PM
Jeff when my Mum died it was a Friday night about 9 pm at her house in Florida, about a year ago next week. I had just arrived after a 6 hour drive just outside of Marlinton, WV for a weekend ski race with my son. For those unfamiliar with Marlinton you can't even get a radio station there after 9pm never mind cell phone service. Some have told me its because of a federal blackout for the Green Brier or something like that but I just think its because the only folks with cell phones are tourists skiing at Snowshoe. And Snowshoe doesn't have cell service either so go figure.

Well anyway we had SL races on Saturday and it was a miserable day; 32 degrees and raining. Everyone was miserable and we drove into town to get a cheap Subway for dinner then didn't get back to our hostel until 5 pm. Cold, wet and tired I found a note tacked to my door to call my wife. My son looked at it and remarked "that can't be good" and I got changed into dry clothes and went over to the restaurant to make the return phone call.

Do you have any idea how long its been since I used a phone card to make a long distance call? It had to be at least 6 or 7 years and of course I no longer have a calling card or such so and it wasn't a normal payphone that would let me even dial the operator for a collect call. After trying my fourth credit card I finally got through to an operator who "let" me make a credit card call. I got through to my wife and she told me that my mother had gone to bed early and my father found her dead two hours later. By this time my four siblings had already flew down or on their way and I was the last person in the family to know about it, and nearly 24 hours later.

I didn't feel sad at all just tired, and went back to our room and I told my son that his grandmother was dead. He asked me what we were going to do and I just told him that we were just going to do what we planned as there was really no point in spending the next 18 hours in cars and planes- others were busy handling the situation.

So we went into Town picked up a couple pizzas, a 6 pack of beer for me, some sodas for my son and headed back up to Snowshoe to call on some friends that had rented a studio up at the mountain. I didn't know that my wife had managed to get a message through to them and we didn't talk about it. We just hung out and told jokes and watched some shit on TV and I finished off my beer and my flask made up with a Manhattan, which happened to be my Mom's favorite drink. My son drove us home about 9 and we got back 20 minutes later, showered up, set the alarm for six-dark-30 and crashed.

The next day we packed up the car and headed back up to Snowshoe for the second day of racing. We were both registered for the GS races that day. It was a contrast from the day before; a beautiful blue sky, bright warm sun, little wind and about 20 degrees which is darn close to perfect. We both skied well, around the middle of the pack for both of us, not podium finishers but not bad for us.

I felt elated and strong that day, and knew my Mom was looking down on us giving me that strength.

Seriously I felt zero sadness that entire weekend, and very little thereafter. I knew that it was her time; she was with God; and I was was obtaining strength from above, through her.

But I still miss her so y'all who can hug your Moms! :cheers2:

chloe
01-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Glock, I am sorry about the loss of your Mother. Thanks for sharing such a personal story. I appreciate my mom alot she is my best friend.:cool:

glockmail
01-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Until you have kids you can never appreciate how much your Mum loves you. When I found out it made me sick thinking of all the times I treated her badly. Of all five kids I treated her the worst and was the biggest hell raiser during my teens yet after all that I ended up as the one she trusted the most. :eek:

Binky
01-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Thanks for sharing your heartfelt story....I remember when my mom passed about seven years ago. I had gotten a call from one of my sisters telling me our mother had died....She'd had Alzheimers for about eight years and had been living with another sister and her family....My hubby and I flew to Kansas and got a motel room....Two of my favorite cousins had arrived as well as many others.....Anyway, those two cousins, my hubby and I, at the spur of the moment, (everyone else was back at my sisters house), had gone for a ride and ended up eating out. After that, the four of us decided, since we hadn't seen each other in ever so long and didn't know when we would again, went to a bar where there was karoki going on.....The place was packed..... And at some point, the three guys had drank enough and decided they would get up on stage and sing to "Elvira," and another tune something like "tequilla." :laugh2: Now these were three men in their 50's....OMG.....They looked like the Blues Bros., except there were three of them rather than two....They had the place in stitches and I was laughing so hard my head hurt..... They were awesome.... On top of that, management had asked them to sing there on a regular basis. (they pulled in a crowd) I remember thinking that my mom, bless her heart, would not have been pleased that the four of us were in a bar drinking, BUT, she would have been overjoyed knowing that we were all together having a great time..... It was a wonderful experience and today, I can see still see my three guys, singing that tune in front of all those people..... :laugh2::laugh2: That is a nice memory none of us is going to forget anytime soon...

However, when we arrived back at my sisters place, my other cousins and sibs were not happy with us because we had disappeared for the evening and had a blast as well....They were all jealious and pouting....:laugh2: I kept apoligizing to them saying it had been a spur of the moment thing, which it had been..... Oh well......They all got over it......:laugh2: And if we had to do it all over again we'd do the exact same thing.....That was an absolute blast........

Binky
01-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Until you have kids you can never appreciate how much your Mum loves you. When I found out it made me sick thinking of all the times I treated her badly. Of all five kids I treated her the worst and was the biggest hell raiser during my teens yet after all that I ended up as the one she trusted the most. :eek:

Your mother loved you Glock...she had forgiven you your misdeeds and bad behaviors long ago....Now you need to forgive yourself.....

jimnyc
01-04-2010, 03:58 PM
Excellent story, Glock, and thanks for sharing. One can drown themselves in sorrow when they lose a loved one, or move on with remembrance in their hearts. I honestly don't know how I will react.

My Mom moved down to Georgia this past year and I have been unable to see her as of yet. And even if I do, I know it'll be no more than a few times per year at most. I've always lived close to her in NJ, or an hour away here in NY. This was my first Christmas in 41 years that I didn't see my Mom. She's in good hands with my brother, and I try to call her every day, even a couple of times on some days.

I'm already looking back wishing I would have done more. People always warn you when you have a child - "Enjoy them while you can, they grow up real fast!" - But maybe we need to warn just as many to enjoy their Mom's while they can as they won't always be with us either.

glockmail
01-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Thanks for sharing your heartfelt story....I remember when my mom passed about seven years ago. I had gotten a call from one of my sisters telling me our mother had died....She'd had Alzheimers for about eight years and had been living with another sister and her family....My hubby and I flew to Kansas and got a motel room....Two of my favorite cousins had arrived as well as many others.....Anyway, those two cousins, my hubby and I, at the spur of the moment, (everyone else was back at my sisters house), had gone for a ride and ended up eating out. After that, the four of us decided, since we hadn't seen each other in ever so long and didn't know when we would again, went to a bar where there was karoki going on.....The place was packed..... And at some point, the three guys had drank enough and decided they would get up on stage and sing to "Elvira," and another tune something like "tequilla." :laugh2: Now these were three men in their 50's....OMG.....They looked like the Blues Bros., except there were three of them rather than two....They had the place in stitches and I was laughing so hard my head hurt..... They were awesome.... On top of that, management had asked them to sing there on a regular basis. (they pulled in a crowd) I remember thinking that my mom, bless her heart, would not have been pleased that the four of us were in a bar drinking, BUT, she would have been overjoyed knowing that we were all together having a great time..... It was a wonderful experience and today, I can see still see my three guys, singing that tune in front of all those people..... :laugh2::laugh2: That is a nice memory none of us is going to forget anytime soon...

However, when we arrived back at my sisters place, my other cousins and sibs were not happy with us because we had disappeared for the evening and had a blast as well....They were all jealious and pouting....:laugh2: I kept apoligizing to them saying it had been a spur of the moment thing, which it had been..... Oh well......They all got over it......:laugh2: And if we had to do it all over again we'd do the exact same thing.....That was an absolute blast........

LOL My youngest sister, who is always looking for an excuse to be a victim, was ripping mad that I wasn't down in Florida with the rest of them. The only thing that would have made her more pissed was if I had been there with the rest of them.

My Dad was really upset and they all did a good job of keeping him company, and in fact took turns flying down there so he wouldn't be alone. My sisters were ripped when I said that I had plans the weekend that they scheduled me, and were so upset that they elected my brother, a weenie liberal, to call me and try to convince me to come down. I told him 'sorry, but we already have a race scheduled'. He even tried to pull some "moral obligation" crap on me until I asked him when the last time that he went to a mass, he who was raised by our mother as a Catholic then in turn raised three little atheists, and that I go every damn week thank-you.

I went down three weeks later and spent four days during the week with my dad. One of the four had been there nearly the entire time and not one of them had thought to do any cleaning. My Mom was a decent housekeeper but she had been letting things slide her last two years and my Dad had always been the bread winner not the house cleaner. I spent about three hours on the refrigerator alone, and threw out more moldy food and 2 year old spills. Then I attacked the washer; have you ever seen what fabric softener does to a washer? Then I brought my Dad to Lowes and showed him which cleaning supplies to buy. NO-ONE can clean better than I.

Then I attacked under the kitchen sink, and found out that the trap had been leaking and entire floor of the cabinet was rotted out. My parents had a new dishwasher put in about 6 months previous and the installer apparently had lost the 10-cent nylon gasket that seals the tailpiece from the trap. So instead of making a trip all two miles round trip to Ace that fucker put it back without the gasket, and the raw waste from the sink had been drip, drip, dripping for six months.

Anyway it was a cheap pressboard bottom so I ripped it out and replaced it with tongue and groove pine 1x4’s. His next door neighbor is a retired carpenter so I had the run of his table saw, chop saw, and a decent cordless drill. That saved me right there because my Dad has never invested in quality tools and all the crap that he does have is worn out, rusted or was crap when he bought it. He did, however, have an old can of gloss white oil based paint that I used to finish the job off. It was gleaming perfect after drying for only four hours and lucky for me too since I had to catch a flight back.

Oh and I helped my Dad pick up Mum’s ashes at the funeral parlor. My siblings had bought the urn and 5 little matching mini urns to hold the ashes. Those idiots paid $3000 for these things, no input from me whatsoever and of course insisted that we split it four ways (one of my sister’s is in tough financial straights now, so we all agreed to opt her out of it).

HogTrash
01-05-2010, 04:17 PM
But I still miss her so y'all who can hug your Moms! :cheers2:Even though my mother is not a hugger she was loving and loyal.

She worked low pay jobs for long hours for a payday to payday survival.

She missed meals so that my sis and me could eat.

She wore old clothes so that we could dress better.

She wore shoes with holes so our feet would stay warm and dry.

It was from her that I learned how to be a good father and a son.

My mother is now 80 and lives with me and cared for my children through their young years.

They are now gone but she's still here...She wears new clothes, new shoes, drives a new car and eats whatever she wants.

And when she dies, her headstone will be the biggest in the cemetary with a beautiful angel perched on top.

Kathianne
01-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Even though my mother is not a hugger she was loving and loyal.

My mother is now 80 and lives with me and cared for my children through their young years.

They are now gone but she's still here...She wears new clothes, new shoes, drives a new car and eats whatever she wants.

And when she dies, her headstone will be the biggest in the cemetary with a beautiful angel perched on top.

Nice. The good son who didn't forget. My guess she probably doesn't care about the headstone, but that you are there for her now is what matters.

HogTrash
01-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Nice. The good son who didn't forget. My guess she probably doesn't care about the headstone, but that you are there for her now is what matters.I suppose I'm trying to repay an impossible debt.

She had my back for many years and now I got hers.

Kathianne
01-05-2010, 05:54 PM
I suppose I'm trying to repay an impossible debt.

She had my back for many years and now I got hers.

We can only do what we can do. When you were a child, you couldn't. Raising kids on your own, (I'm making a guess there), well just making ends meet and trying to be there, that's about all we can do.

Kids grown up and now whatever you have is yours, sharing with the ones who helped you and yours, yeah. It's what family is all about. I've posted this before, it's for you this time and your mom:

http://www.rogerknapp.com/inspire/loveforever.htm

Love You Forever

by Robert Munsch

A mother held her new baby and very slowly rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And while she held him, she sang:

I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

The baby grew. He grew and he grew and he grew. He grew until he was two years old, and he ran all around the house. He pulled all the books off the shelves. He pulled all the food out of the refrigerator and he took his mother's watch and flushed it down the toilet. Sometimes his mother would say, "this kid is driving me CRAZY!"

But at night time, when that two-year-old was quiet, she opened the door to his room, crawled across the floor, looked up over the side of his bed; and if he was really asleep she picked him up and rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. While she rocked him she sang:

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

The little boy grew. He grew and he grew and he grew. He grew until he was nine years old. And he never wanted to come in for dinner, he never wanted to take a bath, and when grandma visited he always said bad words. Sometimes his mother wanted to sell him to the zoo!

But at night time, when he was asleep, the mother quietly opened the door to his room, crawled across the floor and looked up over the side of the bed. If he was really asleep, she picked up that nine-year-old boy and rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And while she rocked him she sang:

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

The boy grew. He grew and he grew and he grew. He grew until he was a teenager. He had strange friends and he wore strange clothes and he listened to strange music. Sometimes the mother felt like she was in a zoo!

But at night time, when that teenager was asleep, the mother opened the door to his room, crawled across the floor and looked up over the side of the bed. If he was really asleep she picked up that great big boy and rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. While she rocked him she sang:

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

That teenager grew. He grew and he grew and he grew. He grew until he was a grown-up man. He left home and got a house across town. But sometimes on dark nights the mother got into her car and drove across town. If all the lights in her son's house were out, she opened his bedroom window, crawled across the floor, and looked up over the side of his bed. If that great big man was really asleep she picked him up and rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And while she rocked him she sang:

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

Well, that mother, she got older. She got older and older and older. One day she called up her son and said, "You'd better come see me because I'm very old and sick." So her son came to see her. When he came in the door she tried to sing the song. She sang:

I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always...

But she couldn't finish because she was too old and sick. The son went to his mother. He picked her up and rocked her back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And he sang this song:

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my Mommy you'll be.

When the son came home that night, he stood for a long time at the top of the stairs. Then he went into the room where his very new baby daughter was sleeping. He picked her up in his arms and very slowly rocked her back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And while he rocked her he sang:

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

(This was sent to me but originally taken from book by Robert Munsch.
I recommend his books. See: http://www.robertmunsch.com )
It's a marvelous book (http://www.amazon.com/Love-You-Forever-Robert-Munsch/dp/0920668364), I gave it to my mom when I had my first child, she had it to the end of her life. I've got it now.

Binky
01-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Even though my mother is not a hugger she was loving and loyal.

That's very nice Hog.....I knew there was a loving, compassionate man inside that head of yours.....:laugh2::laugh2:

Binky
01-05-2010, 06:28 PM
[QUOTE=glockmail;400337]LOL My youngest sister, who is always looking for an excuse to be a victim, was ripping mad that I wasn't down in Florida with the rest of them. The only thing that would have made her more pissed was if I had been there with the rest of them.

My Dad was really upset and they all did a good job of keeping him company, and in fact took turns flying down there so he wouldn't be alone. My sisters were ripped when I said that I had plans the weekend that they scheduled me, and were so upset that they elected my brother, a weenie liberal, to call me and try to convince me to come down. I told him 'sorry, but we already have a race scheduled'. He even tried to pull some "moral obligation" crap on me until I asked him when the last time that he went to a mass, he who was raised by our mother as a Catholic then in turn raised three little atheists, and that I go every damn week thank-you.

I went down three weeks later and spent four days during the week with my dad. One of the four had been there nearly the entire time and not one of them had thought to do any cleaning. My Mom was a decent housekeeper but she had been letting things slide her last two years and my Dad had always been the bread winner not the house cleaner. I spent about three hours on the refrigerator alone, and threw out more moldy food and 2 year old spills. Then I attacked the washer; have you ever seen what fabric softener does to a washer? Then I brought my Dad to Lowes and showed him which cleaning supplies to buy. NO-ONE can clean better than I.

Then I attacked under the kitchen sink, and found out that the trap had been leaking and entire floor of the cabinet was rotted out. My parents had a new dishwasher put in about 6 months previous and the installer apparently had lost the 10-cent nylon gasket that seals the tailpiece from the trap. So instead of making a trip all two miles round trip to Ace that fucker put it back without the gasket, and the raw waste from the sink had been drip, drip, dripping for six months.

Anyway it was a cheap pressboard bottom so I ripped it out and replaced it with tongue and groove pine 1x4’s. His next door neighbor is a retired carpenter so I had the run of his table saw, chop saw, and a decent cordless drill. That saved me right there because my Dad has never invested in quality tools and all the crap that he does have is worn out, rusted or was crap when he bought it. He did, however, have an old can of gloss white oil based paint that I used to finish the job off. It was gleaming perfect after drying for only four hours and lucky for me too since I had to catch a flight back.

Oh and I helped my Dad pick up Mum’s ashes at the funeral parlor. My siblings had bought the urn and 5 little matching mini urns to hold the ashes. Those idiots paid $3000 for these things, no input from me whatsoever and of course insisted that we split it four ways (one of my sister’s is in tough financial straights now, so we all agreed to opt her out of it).[/QUOTE

:laugh2::laugh2:Aren't sibs wonderful? I remember when we returned to my sisters that night to visit with all the relatives, my youngest sister was the one doing the most whining.....Guess she would've liked to go as well. She said to her hubby, "you'd have let me go wouldn't you, Jim?" He said, "well, no, they were at a bar." I laughed and said, " I don't ask, I'm a big girl and if I want to do something, I do it..." She had a look of amazement on her face that I would actually do something without the permission of my hubby. Please................:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

glockmail
01-05-2010, 07:27 PM

You da man Hog. :beer: Does she ride on the back of your Harley?

glockmail
01-05-2010, 07:31 PM

:laugh2::laugh2:Aren't sibs wonderful? I remember when we returned to my sisters that night to visit with all the relatives, my youngest sister was the one doing the most whining.....Guess she would've liked to go as well. She said to her hubby, "you'd have let me go wouldn't you, Jim?" He said, "well, no, they were at a bar." I laughed and said, " I don't ask, I'm a big girl and if I want to do something, I do it..." She had a look of amazement on her face that I would actually do something without the permission of my hubby. Please................:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Yeah they're just great. When my grandfather died I flew to Boston from Greensboro with an overnight bag. On the way back from the funeral my sister said that she wanted to stop in at his old camp, now owned by my uncle. My three sisters were there and after about 3 minutes of reminiscing started hauling furniture out.

I just shook my head. They were basically stealing my uncles stuff.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. When my youngest sister was visiting my Dad the days after my Mum died, she grabbed her 3 carat diamond ring and took it home with her.

HogTrash
01-05-2010, 07:39 PM
You da man Hog. :beer: Does she ride on the back of your Harley?LOL.....I don't think we'll ever see that happening GM.

She's been telling me and my buds for forty years that we're gonna kill ourselves.

Kathianne
01-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Yeah they're just great. When my grandfather died I flew to Boston from Greensboro with an overnight bag. On the way back from the funeral my sister said that she wanted to stop in at his old camp, now owned by my uncle. My three sisters were there and after about 3 minutes of reminiscing started hauling furniture out.

I just shook my head. They were basically stealing my uncles stuff.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. When my youngest sister was visiting my Dad the days after my Mum died, she grabbed her 3 carat diamond ring and took it home with her.

I'm sorry. Sounds awful.

When my mom died, my brother, dad, and I drew very close. When my dad died a few years later, my brother and I moreso, thank God, as we found out the day after his funeral my nephew, my brother's son had a brain tumor. We've all been there for each other.

I'm so grateful for my family, I feel sorry for those with less cohesive.

glockmail
01-05-2010, 10:14 PM
LOL.....I don't think we'll ever see that happening GM.

She's been telling me and my buds for forty years that we're gonna kill ourselves.

I had my grandfather on the back of my Kawaski one time. I had a 1979 KZ650 that he loaned me money to buy.

He was a real "car guy" though, born the same year as the Model T, saw them all and owned quite a few. He had a '72 Cutlass with a Rocket 350 and 4:11 axle that I used to borrow when I was in high school. These were the post-muscle car days with smog pumps and awful carburetors, but the '72 was basically pre-EPA and would easily outrun later model Trans Ams from stop-light to stop-light. I used to drive to downtown Boston and look for owners of full hood bird decals to embarrass.

My uncle, his son, came out of the Marines through College then worked for Ford and got a new car every 9 months from the late 60's to the early 80's. We're talking 427 Cougars, Mustangs, big 4 door TBirds, LTDs, all fully loaded with the biggest engines made. My grandfather drove every one at least once.

When I bought my first new car after college he was so proud. It was an '85 TBird with a 5.0, 4 speed full locking auto, traction lock and a Mustang GT suspension. His favorite color and mine: red. He got in and I took him for a drive around town, and when I got to the steepest hill I hit the gas. He grabbed onto the sides of his seat with a grin from ear to ear. When we got to the top and I flew around the rotary and back down I'll never forget what he said: "Its like taking off in a 747".

glockmail
01-05-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm sorry. Sounds awful.

When my mom died, my brother, dad, and I drew very close. When my dad died a few years later, my brother and I moreso, thank God, as we found out the day after his funeral my nephew, my brother's son had a brain tumor. We've all been there for each other.

It ain't no big deal. I don't lack for anything. I was undoubtedly my grandfather's favorite and after I graduated college he gave me his old desk that he had when he worked for a candy factory that went bankrupt during the depression. He was one of the last employees so the gave it to him as severance. It's heavy maple with 1/4" thick mahogany veneer and has a little brass plate from the furniture company that made it. He refinished it himself with varnish and its now in my son's room.

When I bought my first house he gave me a 1915 Victrola that I always loved to play with when I was a kid, stand-up oak cabinet and hinged cover, crammed full of 78's that are probably worth more than the unit itself. I took it partially apart and cleaned the mechanism, carefully refinished the outside (with Formby's) and it looks and plays like it was made yesterday.

He also gave me a pair of hand carved lace mahogany lamp tables with claw feet. These had been given to my grandmother by a wealthy woman that she used to work for as a maid. That family had gone bankrupt during the depression and instead of leaving her furniture to the bank she had several of her most loyal staff take it away.

Their home and camp were both furnished with a lot of very nice antiques that were obtained in this manner.

Abbey Marie
01-06-2010, 10:43 AM
I'm sorry. Sounds awful.

You are lucky, Kath. Did your brother have a wife at that time? I have found that the daughters-in-law of the decedent can behave the worst in these situations.

HogTrash
01-06-2010, 11:42 AM
I had my grandfather on the back of my Kawaski one time. I had a 1979 KZ650 that he loaned me money to buy.

He was a real "car guy" though, born the same year as the Model T, saw them all and owned quite a few. He had a '72 Cutlass with a Rocket 350 and 4:11 axle that I used to borrow when I was in high school. These were the post-muscle car days with smog pumps and awful carburetors, but the '72 was basically pre-EPA and would easily outrun later model Trans Ams from stop-light to stop-light. I used to drive to downtown Boston and look for owners of full hood bird decals to embarrass.

My uncle, his son, came out of the Marines through College then worked for Ford and got a new car every 9 months from the late 60's to the early 80's. We're talking 427 Cougars, Mustangs, big 4 door TBirds, LTDs, all fully loaded with the biggest engines made. My grandfather drove every one at least once.

When I bought my first new car after college he was so proud. It was an '85 TBird with a 5.0, 4 speed full locking auto, traction lock and a Mustang GT suspension. His favorite color and mine: red. He got in and I took him for a drive around town, and when I got to the steepest hill I hit the gas. He grabbed onto the sides of his seat with a grin from ear to ear. When we got to the top and I flew around the rotary and back down I'll never forget what he said: "Its like taking off in a 747".I once owned a 78 KZ 650 SR...SpeedO to 140 I think...It was down right scary.

I also had a 69 Mach 1 Mustang 428 CobraJet...Worth a fortune now days.

PS - Actually I think the KZ speedO was to 160 and the Mach 1 was 140.

Kathianne
01-06-2010, 12:08 PM
You are lucky, Kath. Did your brother have a wife at that time? I have found that the daughters-in-law of the decedent can behave the worst in these situations.

Yes he is and was married. Funny thing, we didn't get along until my mom got sick, SIL is a nurse and for the most part was very helpful from the first stroke and during the next 10 years until my dad passed away. Very lucky with family. All the cousins, my SIL family, just lucky.

glockmail
01-06-2010, 12:45 PM
I once owned a 78 KZ 650 SR...SpeedO to 140 I think...It was down right scary.

I also had a 69 Mach 1 Mustang 428 CobraJet...Worth a fortune now days.

PS - Actually I think the KZ speedO was to 160 and the Mach 1 was 140.

The suspension on my '78 KZ650C was dangerous above 100. It would start to oscillate back and forth. That was my third and last bike.

Insurance was the big deal in Massachusetts back then, and as a result I could never afford a nice car like you described. For example, collision and theft on the KZ was more for a year then the bike was new (and you had to sign on for the whole year). So I had to borrow the money from my grandfather and pay the dealer in cash, then take out only the mandatory insurance policy, which insured everyone else except me.

Jeff
01-06-2010, 01:20 PM
The suspension on my '78 KZ650C was dangerous above 100. It would start to oscillate back and forth. That was my third and last bike.

Insurance was the big deal in Massachusetts back then, and as a result I could never afford a nice car like you described. For example, collision and theft on the KZ was more for a year then the bike was new (and you had to sign on for the whole year). So I had to borrow the money from my grandfather and pay the dealer in cash, then take out only the mandatory insurance policy, which insured everyone else except me.

The only Kawasaki I ever owned was a KZ 900, that thing flat out flew, and the header on it sounded fantastic, almost but not quite as good as straight pipes on my Harley

Abbey Marie
01-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Yes he is and was married. Funny thing, we didn't get along until my mom got sick, SIL is a nurse and for the most part was very helpful from the first stroke and during the next 10 years until my dad passed away. Very lucky with family. All the cousins, my SIL family, just lucky.

Whether luck or something more deliberate :), you have avoided a ton of angst and bad will. I used to handle the estates of the wealthy and saw a good deal of pettiness and greed. Not to mention experiences in my own extended family and those of friends.

glockmail
01-06-2010, 07:38 PM
The only Kawasaki I ever owned was a KZ 900, that thing flat out flew, and the header on it sounded fantastic, almost but not quite as good as straight pipes on my Harley

I like the sound of the factory Harley pipes myself. But the sweetest exhaust note was my '98 Mustang with the 4.6L OHC V8. Even my daughter, who was five when I sold it, remembers it fondly.

Kathianne
01-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Whether luck or something more deliberate :), you have avoided a ton of angst and bad will. I used to handle the estates of the wealthy and saw a good deal of pettiness and greed. Not to mention experiences in my own extended family and those of friends.

I think a lot of it is family. My parents refused to be involved in issues regarding money with their siblings. My brother and I agreed way before my mom died that we wouldn't go there. My dad also made his wishes clear to both my brother and I. He left certain 'memorial items' to each of the kids-before he died. Just like their wishes for medical care and the issues to take into account each step of the way.

I've already done the same, so my kids won't have to figure out, 'what Mom would want.'

Jeff
01-06-2010, 09:19 PM
I like the sound of the factory Harley pipes myself. But the sweetest exhaust note was my '98 Mustang with the 4.6L OHC V8. Even my daughter, who was five when I sold it, remembers it fondly.

Some of the new ones sound fantastic also, I see some of the young kids driving around in them ( I am sure Daddy bought them ) but they sound sharp

But nothing better than straight pipes on a Harley, get 10 or so bikes together and head threw the tunnel, LOL, now that sounds great!!