PDA

View Full Version : Halo

5stringJeff
01-16-2007, 06:43 PM
I only have Halo 2, so I borrowed Halo 1 from my BIL. I've worked a good way through the campaign so far, up to the point where I'm on the Covenant cruiser trying to rescue Captain Keyes.

Differences in weapons between Halo 1 and 2: the rifle in H1 goes full auto, which I don't like. The 3-round burst in H2 is much better.
I like the scope on the pistol in H1.
I haven't used many covenant weapons in H1, but I like the Needler - unloading one magazine in H1 kills an Elite, whereas in H2 it took two magazines.
It's taken me forever to get used to not being able to double-wield.

CockySOB
01-16-2007, 06:50 PM
I was a huge fan of the original Halo, but Halo 2 was a bust IMHO. Yeah, it's fun on some levels, but the garish color schemes and huge number of glitches made it a failure in my book. I actually preferred Halo for the PC (Halo 1.5) to Halo 2 for the XBox.

Personally, I'm more of a fan of the Tom Clancy: Rainbow Six 3, Black Arrow and Vegas titles. Lockdown and Critical Hour were wastes of time, but the other three titles are excellent team-oriented FPS games.

Insein
01-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Halo 1 had a cool story but the inability to duel wield weapons makes me unable to play it any more. I go back when i want to play the story but i love the duel wielding feature on Halo 2.

As for the rifles, the 1 in Halo 1 is an assault rifle. Full auto with no scope. The one in Halo 2 is a battle rifle with the semi auto fire. Basically the Battle rifle is the evolution of the pistol in the first halo. The pistol was a beast in Halo 1 with a scope and extremely far distance to hit the enemy. The pistol in Halo 2 is just your ordinary Magnum.

Both games kick ass in my book. I could do without the sword for online play though. Too easy to kill people with and the noobs always lean on it.

Plus as far as the needler goes, i'd check your diffuculty setting. The needler was worthless in Halo 1 on anything above normal. You could shoot forever and a grunt wouldnt die with it. In Halo 2 it can do some good damage when coupled with a plasma rifle or pistol.

5stringJeff
01-16-2007, 10:48 PM
Halo 1 had a cool story but the inability to duel wield weapons makes me unable to play it any more. I go back when i want to play the story but i love the duel wielding feature on Halo 2.

As for the rifles, the 1 in Halo 1 is an assault rifle. Full auto with no scope. The one in Halo 2 is a battle rifle with the semi auto fire. Basically the Battle rifle is the evolution of the pistol in the first halo. The pistol was a beast in Halo 1 with a scope and extremely far distance to hit the enemy. The pistol in Halo 2 is just your ordinary Magnum.

Both games kick ass in my book. I could do without the sword for online play though. Too easy to kill people with and the noobs always lean on it.

Plus as far as the needler goes, i'd check your diffuculty setting. The needler was worthless in Halo 1 on anything above normal. You could shoot forever and a grunt wouldnt die with it. In Halo 2 it can do some good damage when coupled with a plasma rifle or pistol.

I'm playing Normal difficulty on H1 so I can get through the story. So yeah, the Needler is not a bad weapon.

In H2, if I can't find anything else, I find that one magazine with the SMG and about 5-6 rounds of the pistol will kill just about anyone.

dan
01-17-2007, 12:07 AM
I never play the 1 player on either game, so I only speak from multiplayer experience, but I'm not a fan of the sword at all. It seems to be really easy for other people to kill me with it, but without fail, whenever I try to use it, at some point, that stupid rush thing it does when you're locked on drags me right off the ledge.

I greatly prefer the weapons of H1. I never dual wield, EVER (much to the chagrin of my teammates when we're playing Duals XTRA), so that added feature was never that great to me. In H1, my guns were the pistol and the shotgun, both of which were massively pussified for H2. I actually consider grenades to be my favorite weapon, and even they were made less powerful in H2.

Insein
01-17-2007, 02:28 AM
stickies are my favorite weapon. Nothing more humiliating then tossing one right to a guys head.

The sword is beyond gay. I refuse to touch the thing as its such a noob weapon. My favorite combo is plasma rifle and smg. That pretty much owns anything except a sword noob.

Im no good at sniping but i wish i was. I love to snipe in other games but when its a sniping match, i get owned severely.

I play Halo 2 pretty much every other night.

Whats your Live name, Dan? I'll try to catch you on sometime.

dan
01-17-2007, 11:07 AM
We're poor, so my friends and I all share the same name, but you're more than welcome to join up with us, it just may not be me! My name's TigerDiesel45 .

Insein
01-17-2007, 02:31 PM
lol, what a gay name. Nah j/k.

I'm "Insein81". Go figure right?

Hobbit
02-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Bah! I own sword noobs. Just a quick hop and a sidestep and they're right there, head exposed to my shotgun or battle rifle. In Halo 1, I used a shotgun and pistol, but my main strategy was using the shotgun...and the other end of the shotgun. I'm an 'up close and personal' kinda guy.

theHawk
02-06-2007, 10:02 PM
I never played Halo before. I've been playing Gears of War like mad for a month now, don't know if I'd be as impressed with an older game now. Maybe if I see it for cheap I'll pick it up though.

Insein
02-06-2007, 11:12 PM
I never played Halo before. I've been playing Gears of War like mad for a month now, don't know if I'd be as impressed with an older game now. Maybe if I see it for cheap I'll pick it up though.

Trust me, Halo 2 multiplayer is soo much better than Gears. Its different but its better. Its not left up to chance like most of the gears battles are like when you go chainsaw to chainsaw or shoot a guy with a shotgun at close range but he manages to kill you instead.

theHawk
02-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Halo 2 is playable on xbox360 right?

5stringJeff
02-07-2007, 12:14 PM
All Xbox games are playable on the 360.

Insein
02-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Halo 2 is playable on xbox360 right?

Yes it is. I never owned an Xbox but i bought Halo 2 when i got a 360. Halo 2 multiplayer is so easy to get in and play. I think it might be the best interface for online multiplayer ive ever used.

dan
02-07-2007, 09:17 PM
I think it might be the best interface for online multiplayer ive ever used.

Just so long as you enjoy getting called a nigger by a thirteen year old!

CockySOB
02-07-2007, 09:32 PM
All Xbox games are playable on the 360.

No. The Xbox 360 requires a custom emulator for each classic Xbox title. This means you have to check with the Xbox 360 website to determine if such an emulator has been constructed on a title-by-title basis.

5stringJeff
02-08-2007, 10:24 AM
No. The Xbox 360 requires a custom emulator for each classic Xbox title. This means you have to check with the Xbox 360 website to determine if such an emulator has been constructed on a title-by-title basis.

I guess I heard wrong, then. My bad.

Insein
02-08-2007, 12:11 PM

Better translated as not all Xbox games are playable but 99% are. You don't need to download any special program or whatnot. Just throw the disc in. IF it plays, it works. If not, it doesnt.

Insein
02-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Just so long as you enjoy getting called a nigger by a thirteen year old!

They are actually boys. Puberty hasnt hit them yet, lol.

And besides, you can get called a nigger by all age groups in just about every online multiplayer game available with voice or type chat.

CockySOB
02-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Better translated as not all Xbox games are playable but 99% are. You don't need to download any special program or whatnot. Just throw the disc in. IF it plays, it works. If not, it doesnt.

Nope, not near 99% of the classic xbox games are playable on the 360.

Here's a link to the official Xbox 360 webpage listing compatible games. That is to say, games which have downloadable emulators for the old Xbox games ready for your use.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

Insein, with all due respect, you don't know what you're talking about. Original Xbox games used an SDK which allowed the executable games to be compiled for the hardware of the original xbox. With the 360, Microsoft went to a different hardware architecture, implemented a different OS (including new kernel from Windows 2000), and a stripped-down hardware abstraction layer. This means that games originally compiled and marketed for the Xbox classic CANNOT run natively on the Xbox 360. Period. That is why Microsoft's Xbox team has to build a custom container (the emulator) for each title, test it, and then make it available for download via Xbox Live. Now, when you stick your original Xbox game disc to your 360, the 360 runs a check on Live to see if the emulator has been made available, and if the emulator needs an update. This on a title-by-title basis. Read that again. It is on a title-by-title basis.

More info for you to read on regarding backward compatibility and the Xbox 360.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilityfaq.htm

Insein
02-08-2007, 05:17 PM
is that not what i said? People arent going to be installing emulators on there 360s. So put it in, if it plays, it plays. If it doesnt, it doesnt. So far every old Xbox game ive put in, has worked. Never botherd lookin at the list.

theHawk
02-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Actually, it does install the emulater. It only takes like 5 seconds and isnt a big deal. It did it when I put in the Ninja Gaiden game.

5stringJeff
04-23-2007, 10:41 PM
Has anyone else had trouble downloading the new maps?

dan
05-01-2007, 01:48 PM
Has anyone else had trouble downloading the new maps?

They installed fine on our XBOX 360. You do have to have a pay account set up since they cost $4, maybe that's why they're not downloading for you?

Anyway, we've never gotten either map on LIVE, so there's not much point unless you're doing a LAN party.

manu1959
10-15-2007, 04:49 PM
finished halo 3 solo campaign last night....what a blast......onto the fall of man on ps3......

MtnBiker
10-18-2007, 02:34 AM
onto the fall of man on ps3......

I love that game, good luck killing the Chimera scum! :D

diuretic
10-18-2007, 02:57 AM
Well if I ever play online I know - after reading the whole thread - what my nickname would be - DinoSaw. :laugh2: