PDA

View Full Version : New tallest building is 2717 feet tall...50 stories more than tallest US Skyscaper.

HogTrash
01-04-2010, 06:45 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/01/04/world/main6053254.shtml
The developer has only said the spire stands more than 2,625 feet tall. Alabbar said Dubai's ruler will announce the height at the inauguration ceremony.

At a reported height of 2,684 feet, the Burj Dubai long ago vanquished its nearest rival, the Taipei 101 in Taiwan.

But the tower's record-seeking developers didn't stop there.

The building boasts the most stories and highest occupied floor of any building in the world, and ranks as the world's tallest structure, beating out a television mast in North Dakota.

"We weren't sure how high we could go," said Bill Baker, the building's structural engineer, who is in Dubai for the inauguration. "It was kind of an exploration ... A learning experience"

Baker, of Chicago-based architecture and engineering firm Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, said early designs for the Burj had it edging out the world's previous record-holder, the Taipei 101, by about 33 feet. The Taiwan tower rises 1,667 feet.

Work on Burj Dubai began in 2004 and moved ahead rapidly. At times, new floors were being added almost every three days, reflecting Dubai's raging push to reshape itself into a cosmopolitan urban giant packed with skyscrapers.

During the busiest construction periods, some 12,000 workers labored at the tower each day, according to Emaar. Low-wage migrant workers from the Indian subcontinent provided much of the muscle for the Burj and many of Dubai's other building projects.

The tower is more than 50 stories higher than Chicago's Willis Tower, the tallest building in the U.S. formerly known as the Sears Tower.

glockmail
01-04-2010, 07:01 PM
It's not symmetrical.

Noir
01-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Simply insane, like half a mile high, would be amazing to see IRL

jimnyc
01-04-2010, 09:01 PM
They better hope terrorists never target them. I wonder how many people that building will hold when at full capacity, and on a working day.

Gaffer
01-04-2010, 09:04 PM
I was thinking the same thing Jim. Not to mention the region is full of fanatical zealots and piss poor airline security.

cat slave
01-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Didnt they recently report that they were unable to meet some financial
obligations.....dont they have a lot of oil??????:lol:

HogTrash
01-05-2010, 07:48 AM
The article says it's more than twice as tall as The Empire State Building in NYC.

It also states that instead of steel girders it is constructed of reinforced concrete.

Greg Sang, Emaar's director of projects, said the Burj has "refuge floors" at 25 to 30 story intervals that are more fire resistant and have separate air supplies in case of emergency. And its reinforced concrete structure, he said, makes it stronger than steel-frame skyscrapers.

"It's a lot more robust," he said. "A plane won't be able to slice through the Burj like it did through the steel columns of the World Trade Center."

CSM
01-05-2010, 07:53 AM
Ya think them folks from the Middle East would have learned from the first Tower of Babel incident!

Noir
01-05-2010, 07:56 AM
The article says it's more than twice as tall as The Empire State Building in NYC.

It also states that instead of steel girders it is constructed of reinforced concrete.

Yups it's like 820 metres high, and the previous record was 500 and somthing =/

Also what's the tower if Babel? Sounds biblical to me but am not sure,

CSM
01-05-2010, 08:10 AM
Yups it's like 820 metres high, and the previous record was 500 and somthing =/

Also what's the tower if Babel? Sounds biblical to me but am not sure,

It is biblical. You must be a heathen as well as a vegetarian. Is there a correlation there? (j/k)

Noir
01-05-2010, 08:41 AM
It is biblical. You must be a heathen as well as a vegetarian. Is there a correlation there? (j/k)

Indeedy, all that time I spend not eating meat gives me time to ponder te greatness of life, and thus I am not left with the assumption that 'a wizard did it'

=P

Binky
01-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Maybe they think by making it so tall they will be able to reach the Heavens that much easier.....:laugh2::laugh2:

HogTrash
01-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Maybe they think by making it so tall they will be able to reach the Heavens that much easier.....:laugh2::laugh2:As a matter of fact there is going to be a Mosque near the top of the skyscaper.

CSM
01-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Indeedy, all that time I spend not eating meat gives me time to ponder te greatness of life, and thus I am not left with the assumption that 'a wizard did it'

=P

Hmmm whille you are doing all that there ponderin', those who may be stronger because they eat meat are out there producing!

Just yanking yer chain.

cat slave
01-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Maybe they think by making it so tall they will be able to reach the Heavens that much easier.....:laugh2::laugh2:

And all those virgins they think awaits them. Maybe they think they can skip
the dying part and just step out a window.

Noir
01-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Hmmm whille you are doing all that there ponderin', those who may be stronger because they eat meat are out there producing!

Just yanking yer chain.

Oi! Just cus I'm not out there producing doesn't mean i need you yanking my chain ;)

CSM
01-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Oi! Just cus I'm not out there producing doesn't mean i need you yanking my chain ;)

Yes it does.

Binky
01-05-2010, 02:34 PM
As a matter of fact there is going to be a Mosque near the top of the skyscaper.

Shouldn't be that difficult to pick off a few terrorists then should it? :laugh2:I bet some will be hiding in there....