PDA

View Full Version : Snow

Jeff
01-07-2010, 06:51 AM
Down here in Ga they are calling for a wintry mix starting late this afternoon and then turning into all snow tonight, LOL, we received a call last night announcing school will be closed at noon, LOL , Yes they are calling for a dusting to 2 inches, a blizzard I guess, LOL

Nukeman
01-07-2010, 07:22 AM
Down here in Ga they are calling for a wintry mix starting late this afternoon and then turning into all snow tonight, LOL, we received a call last night announcing school will be closed at noon, LOL , Yes they are calling for a dusting to 2 inches, a blizzard I guess, LOL

We are supposed to get 4-6 inches of snow than a possible lake effect that could dump more. it a whole 13 degree right now!!!!

Noir
01-07-2010, 07:39 AM
We've had about 10-12 inches over the past few days, tempretures are expected to fall to -20C tonight in the highlands, which is about -5F, it's currently -8C, about 17F

Jeff
01-07-2010, 07:51 AM
Damn after reading Y'alls post I just thought I was cold, LOL, actually for GA if is freezing, it was down in the upper 20's last night with the wind chill the news said it would feel around 20, I habe gotten soft as hello cause that is freezing for me, LOL

Kathianne
01-07-2010, 08:25 AM
:(

Winter Storm Warning (3:41 AM CST)
Flood Warning in IL: Kankakee
Flood Advisory in IL: Grundy , Will
Winter Storm Warning in IL: Boone , Cook , DeKalb , DuPage , Grundy , Iroquois , Kane , Kankakee , Kendall , Lake , Livingston , McHenry , Will
Winter Weather Advisory in IN: Pulaski
Winter Storm Warning in IN: Jasper , Lake , Newton , Porter
Lake Effect Snow Watch, Winter Weather Advisory in IN: La Porte , Starke
Lake Effect Snow Watch, Winter Weather Advisory in MI: Berrien
Winter Storm Warning in WI: Kenosha , Racine , Rock , Walworth
Current conditions
As of 6:51 AM CST
at Chicago, Illinois

Light Snow
Temperature: 16°
Wind chill: 10°
Wind: South 4 mph
Dewpoint: 14°
Humidity: 92%
Visibility: 1.0 miles
Forecast
As of 4:27 am CST on January 7, 2010

Today...Snow. Snow may be heavy at times in the morning. Snow accumulation of 5 to 7 inches. Highs in the mid 20s. Then temperatures falling into the mid teens by evening. Light and variable winds. Chance of precipitation 100 percent.

Tonight...Snow. Areas of blowing snow. Snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches. Lows 13 to 17...except in the lower 20s downtown. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 100 percent.

Friday...Cloudy. Snow showers likely in the morning...then a slight chance of snow showers in the afternoon. Snow accumulation up to 2 inches. Total snow accumulation 10 to 13 inches. Blustery. Highs 14 to 18...except in the lower 20s near the lake. North winds 15 to 25 mph until late afternoon becoming northwest 10 to 15 mph late in the afternoon. Gusts up to 30 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Monkeybone
01-07-2010, 08:47 AM
stupid global warming.

It made me laugh today when I was reading the news and it was talking about how 'Mother Nature is out of wahck' or something like that... the only thing that I could think of was.... normal winter here...

jackass
01-07-2010, 10:41 AM
YES!!! Calling for snow here! It will mark the first time since I have been down here that we got some. I am very excited!

HogTrash
01-07-2010, 10:51 AM
These liberal morons never give up...LOL!
http://airamerica.com/breakingnews/19174/

:tinfoil: :lmao: :cuckoo:

Binky
01-07-2010, 02:13 PM
It's a grey day here. The temp is 25 with very light snow flurries....Actually, considering the blustery winds and cold spell we've had this isn't all that bad.... It was quite foggy earlier today.....

I long for the scents of spring and the birds chirping from afar....And a blade of grass and weeds popping up wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit.. And when spring finally arrives, I will go out into the woods to stockpile more kindling for next winters onslaught of cold, cold weather.....And my cache of wood for the fireplace will be heaped to the bim of beautiful seasoned oak to keep my tooties warm.....Then I will relax and know that a warm glow will come over me as I sit by the fireside sipping a glass of wine....:lol:

Jeff
01-07-2010, 02:25 PM
YES!!! Calling for snow here! It will mark the first time since I have been down here that we got some. I am very excited!

When I lived there JA it snowed 1 time, a dusting at best, there was no snow on the road at all, but yet the cars where running about 5 MPH, LOL, Be careful, LOL

Little-Acorn
01-07-2010, 03:15 PM
+70F in San Diego today, sunny, mild breeze.

I don't know if I can take it.

Trigg
01-07-2010, 03:43 PM
We've had about 10-12 inches over the past few days, tempretures are expected to fall to -20C tonight in the highlands, which is about -5F, it's currently -8C, about 17F

Are you back in England?? I've been reading that they're having a hard time there with the snow and cold.

-5 is WAY TO COLD!!!! Unless your a Polar Bear that is.:laugh2:

We already have 5 inches and it's still snowing. The temp isn't to bad in fact the kids are on there way outside to play. It's to powdery to make snowballs. If the wind picks up we're in trouble, the roads are already bad with drifting they'll be impossible.

Noir
01-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Are you back in England?? I've been reading that they're having a hard time there with the snow and cold.

-5 is WAY TO COLD!!!! Unless your a Polar Bear that is.:laugh2:

We already have 5 inches and it's still snowing. The temp isn't to bad in fact the kids are on there way outside to play. It's to powdery to make snowballs. If the wind picks up we're in trouble, the roads are already bad with drifting they'll be impossible.

Yeah i just flew back today, was quite lucky that the airport was open, as it was closed yesterday, and yeah its farrrrr to cold, added to the fact that i'm the first one to have come back to the flat, so it was freezin, and there's like no food, i'm all like blah Dx

Its not too bad where i'm staying, about 4-5 inches of snow lying at the mo, but more is expected on the weekend

A pic from earlyer when i arrived, the carpark outside our flats
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jonathan-mcc/photo-23.jpg?t=1262897284

Kathianne
01-07-2010, 04:32 PM
+70F in San Diego today, sunny, mild breeze.

I don't know if I can take it.

Truly, shut up! :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
01-07-2010, 05:26 PM
I miss Stephanie's pics of her thermometer in Alaska. Night Train?

Jeff
01-08-2010, 01:55 AM
Well we got a dusting at best, some area's in the yard are white, but low and behold the school called, school is closed again Friday, LOL

Trigg
01-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Well we got a dusting at best, some area's in the yard are white, but low and behold the school called, school is closed again Friday, LOL

geesh southern states are such pansies when it comes to snow and cold.

level 3 snow emergency. Schools delayed 2 hours :dance:

It's my only day off this week, so I'm thrilled they're going to school, gives me a change to clean the house.

jackass
01-09-2010, 12:06 AM
nothing..... :(

Mr. P
01-09-2010, 12:11 AM
nothing..... :(

The local bread an milk sales were high though..typical down here.:laugh2:

Luna Tick
01-09-2010, 10:50 AM
These liberal morons never give up...LOL!
http://airamerica.com/breakingnews/19174/

:tinfoil: :lmao: :cuckoo:

Liberal morons like all the nation's top scientists. Every time we get a cold front, there's always someone ignorant of science who thinks it disproves global warming. Global warming is about the average temperature increasing over time. It does not mean there will no longer be any cold spells anywhere on earth.

Then again maybe Rush Limbaugh knows more than the scientists.

Noir
01-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Snow in florida!
I gotta email from a very exicted friend as its the first time shes seen snow, needless to say i had to laugh at the pic though,

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs195.snc3/20268_1259771828146_1645189087_684061_1976937_n.jp g

Kathianne
01-09-2010, 11:05 AM

We've over a foot. No school cancellation. :( :laugh2:

Agnapostate
01-09-2010, 11:30 AM

El Rushbo suggested that the melting of all polar ice caps would have no effect on global water levels, just as an ice cube melting in a glass of water has no effect on its level. He should stick to Oxycontin importation.

Trigg
01-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Snow in florida!
I gotta email from a very exicted friend as its the first time shes seen snow, needless to say i had to laugh at the pic though,

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs195.snc3/20268_1259771828146_1645189087_684061_1976937_n.jp g

In 1989 Florida actually got snow for Christmas all the way down to Tampa. We had almost a 1/2 inch of the white stuff. Businesses were closed and cars were sliding off the road in droves. Since water lines are above ground our pipes burst and the cities were having rolling blackouts to combate the MASSIVE energy spike.

Trigg
01-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Liberal morons like all the nation's top scientists. Every time we get a cold front, there's always someone ignorant of science who thinks it disproves global warming. Global warming is about the average temperature increasing over time. It does not mean there will no longer be any cold spells anywhere on earth.

Scientists say man-made climate change does have the potential to cause more frequent and more severe weather extremes,

My arguement has always been that global warming or cooling is the effect of NATURAL climate change. The Earth has had periods of extreme cold and warmth in the past and will continue this pattern, man has very little if anything to do with it.

Also ALL scientists do not agree with the man-made theory.

chloe
01-09-2010, 10:04 PM
We've over a foot. No school cancellation. :( :laugh2:

Yeah we are right next to wyoming and we get alot of snow no school closure either lol. When I lived in wyoming I waited for the school bus snow was up to my knees !!!

Gaffer
01-09-2010, 10:25 PM
I was born in a small town right next to Lake Michigan. The snow would come in November and didn't melt away until March. We walked to school. It was a mile and a half. Only once did we have snow days. In 1958-59 we had an overnight snow storm that dumped 3 and a half feet of snow. There was no transportation and they couldn't even get the plows out for two days. We were off school for a week. The plows cleared the roads but no one could get out of their driveways. The kids had a blast.

chloe
01-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Gaffer that is how wyoming was too, lots and lots of snow. I didn't know it doesn't snow in Georgia. I think Georgia has a lot of humidity and mosquitos though right?

Mr. P
01-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Gaffer that is how wyoming was too, lots and lots of snow. I didn't know it doesn't snow in Georgia. I think Georgia has a lot of humidity and mosquitos though right?

We just had snow two days ago. It does snow here.

chloe
01-09-2010, 10:41 PM
We just had snow two days ago. It does snow here.

I guess it doesn't snow large amounts then is that right?

Mr. P
01-09-2010, 10:47 PM
I guess it doesn't snow large amounts then is that right?

That's true..we get mostly sleet and freezing rain. And NO ONE can drive on that shit..it's always funny to watch the Yankees that think they can though. :laugh2:

Kathianne
01-09-2010, 10:53 PM
I was born in a small town right next to Lake Michigan. The snow would come in November and didn't melt away until March. We walked to school. It was a mile and a half. Only once did we have snow days. In 1958-59 we had an overnight snow storm that dumped 3 and a half feet of snow. There was no transportation and they couldn't even get the plows out for two days. We were off school for a week. The plows cleared the roads but no one could get out of their driveways. The kids had a blast.

Was just talking about that with some fellow teachers. I'll be the first to say that while teaching the past 11 years, we've averaged at least 1 snow day per year. Not so when I was a kid. The only time I remember being let out early and having school cancelled for a few days was the '67 snow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le6Fy5xc4pk).

chloe
01-09-2010, 10:55 PM
That's true..we get mostly sleet and freezing rain. And NO ONE can drive on that shit..it's always funny to watch the Yankees that think they can though. :laugh2:

:laugh2: I bet

Gaffer
01-09-2010, 11:07 PM
Was just talking about that with some fellow teachers. I'll be the first to say that while teaching the past 11 years, we've averaged at least 1 snow day per year. Not so when I was a kid. The only time I remember being let out early and having school cancelled for a few days was the '67 snow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le6Fy5xc4pk).

That particular storm was a real freak storm, it only snowed in our city. Just outside the city limits they got nothing. I missed the 67 storm. I was in southeast asia at the time.

In our town a heavy snow just meant there was going to be a huge snowball fight at lunch time. Nothing like a hundred kid snowball fight.

Kathianne
01-09-2010, 11:19 PM
That particular storm was a real freak storm, it only snowed in our city. Just outside the city limits they got nothing. I missed the 67 storm. I was in southeast asia at the time.

In our town a heavy snow just meant there was going to be a huge snowball fight at lunch time. Nothing like a hundred kid snowball fight.

Oh '67 was great! Drifts all over the place and great snowball/snowman packing snow. Stuff of dreams.

I think we may be heading back to 'ole Chicago snow weather. Been more in the past couple years, this one is very much like what I grew up with.

Cycles anyone?

Gaffer
01-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Oh '67 was great! Drifts all over the place and great snowball/snowman packing snow. Stuff of dreams.

I think we may be heading back to 'ole Chicago snow weather. Been more in the past couple years, this one is very much like what I grew up with.

Cycles anyone?

Cycles, I believe in. You've seen the Christmas Story. That's the kind of winters I remember when growing up. We were thirty miles from Chicago by lake route. So I know what your talking about with the weather there.

Kathianne
01-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Cycles, I believe in. You've seen the Christmas Story. That's the kind of winters I remember when growing up. We were thirty miles from Chicago by lake route. So I know what your talking about with the weather there.

Exactly. Climate change happens, it's called weather patterns. LOL!

crin63
01-10-2010, 11:11 AM
It snowed in Oregon while we were there. Big ole snow flakes, the size of quarters to 50 cent pieces. In the time it took to gas up my truck (20 gals) the black bed cover turned white and had a thick coat of snow. The warmest it got the week we were up there was 45 degrees. The snow was so heavy it shutdown the airport and the freeway was at a crawl for some 24 miles. Reports were that it was taking more than 3 hours to go 18 miles. When we got back to Los Angeles it was in the high 60's which seemed quite warm after being in Oregon.