PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii can't afford Congressional election

red states rule
01-10-2010, 09:23 AM
So a state is so broke they can't afford an upcoming Congressional election - yet one Dem say to keep spending money on social programs and let the election wait

Hope all of you are enjoying all that hope and change

HONOLULU – Cash-strapped Hawaii can't afford to pay for an election to replace a congressman who is planning to step down next month to run for governor, potentially leaving 600,000 urban Honolulu residents without representation in Washington.

Budget cuts have left the state Office of Elections with about $5,000 to last until July, with a special election costing nearly $1 million, interim Chief Elections Officer Scott Nago said.

Until the state finds money or this fall's regularly scheduled elections occur, one of Hawaii's two seats in the House of Representatives will remain vacant.

"Democracy depends on representation of the people," Jean Aoki, legislative liaison for the Hawaii chapter of the League of Women Voters. "I can't imagine the citizens of our state not wanting representation in the highest body in the land to make laws. It's just unthinkable."

Elections officials are hoping to hold a vote-by-mail special election May 1 if they can get the $925,000 it would cost. An election with walk-in voting would cost $1.2 million.

Whoever wins would become the favorite to take on the job permanently following November's general election.

U.S. Rep. Neil Abercrombie, a Democrat, announced last week he will resign Feb. 28 after 19 years so he can dedicate his time to the gubernatorial race. His two-year term was set to expire in January 2011.

His departure opens up the possibility that Hawaii's all-Democratic congressional delegation could be broken up for the first time since 1991.

Candidates for the winner-take-all special election include Democrats Ed Case, a former congressman, and state Senate President Colleen Hanabusa, as well as Honolulu City Councilman Charles Djou, a Republican.

The elections office faces a series of additional hurdles. It is considering consolidating nearly 30 percent of the state's 339 precincts next year with adjacent precincts, and it has to obtain new voting machines because of a ruling that the state overpaid on its prior contract.

"We're not where we want to be, but I don't see us not being able to catch up," Nago said.

Some state legislators have suggested saving money by delaying the special election until the regularly scheduled primary election in September. The idea of putting off the election for that long may run up against federal laws and the U.S. Constitution, Attorney General Mark Bennett said.

"I believe there would be a federal obligation to do it," Bennett told lawmakers last week. "They don't want the states to go without representation."

Others like Democratic state Sen. Donna Mercado Kim question whether the money might be better spent on education and social services, both of which have been slashed during the economic downturn.

"I haven't seen too many votes in the House that have been decided by a one-vote difference," said Kim, chairwoman of the Senate Ways and Means Committee. "Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we should be without representation, but given everything that's going on, we have to prioritize."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100109/ap_on_re_us/us_hawaii_congress

DragonStryk72
01-10-2010, 04:45 PM
How do you even get to that point? christ on a crutch, it's not like Hawaii's not making a crapton of money off all the hotels, cruiselines, airport, bars, and all else there, and yet they're so broke, they can't even run a basic election?

I just want to know what that budget money all went to, cause I mean, I'm seriously interested in why they cut themselves so insanely close to the quick

red states rule
01-10-2010, 04:50 PM
How do you even get to that point? christ on a crutch, it's not like Hawaii's not making a crapton of money off all the hotels, cruiselines, airport, bars, and all else there, and yet they're so broke, they can't even run a basic election?

I just want to know what that budget money all went to, cause I mean, I'm seriously interested in why they cut themselves so insanely close to the quick

It is called liberalsim. They are spending more on social programs and handouts then they take in

A travel spot like Hawaii should be flush with cash - but not when liberals control the spending

Of course all state and local government should be flush with cash given the amount in taxes they take in

DragonStryk72
01-10-2010, 05:09 PM
It is called liberalsim. They are spending more on social programs and handouts then they take in

A travel spot like Hawaii should be flush with cash - but not when liberals control the spending

Of course all state and local government should be flush with cash given the amount in taxes they take in

This should be grounds for impeachment.

PostmodernProphet
01-10-2010, 05:12 PM
to be followed, I'm sure, by the suggestion they simply appoint a Democrat to fill his spot till September.....

red states rule
01-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Where did all the money go? Here is one example

Hawaii Ending Universal Child Health Care

Citing Budget Shortfalls, Only State With Universal Coverage Eliminates Funding After 7 Months

AP) Hawaii is dropping the only state universal child health care program in the United States just seven months after it launched.

Gov. Linda Lingle's administration cited budget shortfalls and other available health care options for eliminating funding for the program.

A state official said families were dropping private coverage so their children would be eligible for the subsidized plan.

"People who were already able to afford health care began to stop paying for it so they could get it for free," said Dr. Kenny Fink, the administrator for Med-QUEST at the Department of Human Services. "I don't believe that was the intent of the program."

State officials said Thursday they will stop giving health coverage to the 2,000 children enrolled by Nov. 1, but private partner Hawaii Medical Service Association will pay to extend their coverage through the end of the year without government support.

"We're very disappointed in the state's decision, and it came as a complete surprise to us," said Jennifer Diesman, a spokeswoman for HMSA, the state's largest health care provider. "We believe the program is working, and given Hawaii's economic uncertainty, we don't think now is the time to cut all funding for this kind of program."

Hawaii lawmakers approved the health plan in 2007 as a way to ensure every child can get basic medical help. The Keiki (child) Care program aimed to cover every child from birth to 18 years old who didn't already have health insurance - mostly immigrants and members of lower-income families.

State health officials argued that most of the children enrolled in the universal child care program previously had private health insurance, indicating that it was helping those who didn't need it.

The U.S. is one of the few western countries that does not have universal health care, although many states have government programs to help parents cover their children.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/10/17/health/main4527996.shtml

HogTrash
01-10-2010, 08:56 PM
I feel only apathy for the Hawaiins...They are idiots who should get exactly what they voted for.

A big expensive government that has taxed and spent and mismanaged the state into bankruptcy.

If not for conservatives, democrats would have starved years ago...What a pathetic bunch of losers.

Binky
01-10-2010, 10:08 PM
I feel only apathy for the Hawaiins...They are idiots who should get exactly what they voted for.

A big expensive government that has taxed and spent and mismanaged the state into bankruptcy.

If not for conservatives, democrats would have starved years ago...What a pathetic bunch of losers.

Hmmmmm..........sounds like America as a whole.....:eek:

red states rule
01-11-2010, 06:25 AM
Given the mood of voters, is it possible the Dems in HI are doing this so they do not have to face the voters?

The money is not there becuase the state is broke but out of self preservation?

Of course Obama could help his home state by sending stimulus money so the election could be held. $300 billion would go along way to buy the votes Dems need to stay in power

DragonStryk72
01-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Well, that certainly speaks to a key problem with universal health care. Let me see, there was a government option, and instead of continuing to pay for their existing insurance, apparently people decided to ditch the private sector insurance companies to get covered by the state.

If only someone had said something, like.... I don't know.... every conservative in the entire country who kept saying this exact thing would happen since it was introduced as an idea?

01-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Am I the only person wondering why the heck it costs over a million dollars for an election???

I mean holy heck you walk in, pull a level and leave. The people there are volunteers. The machines can be reuseable. You would probably need a few people to set the machines up. But a million dollars worth????