PDA

View Full Version : Obama in no rush for State of Union

red states rule
01-12-2010, 06:50 AM
Fore once I can't blame Obama for this decision. What can he say about the state of the Union?

10% unemployment, soaring deficits, attempted terrorist attacks, falling poll numbers, and multipial flip flops on policies

I would not want to face the voters either

The State of the Union address may be going the way of the NFL's Super Bowl, another January tradition that has become a February fixture.

No date has been set for the president's annual address to Congress, but with Democrats hoping for a health care bill in hand first, the affair could be pushed until the first week in February or later — marking the latest date for a standard address in modern history.

"Soon" was the short answer that White House press secretary Robert Gibbs gave reporters last week, though he helpfully ruled out Feb. 2, the Tuesday that ABC is supposed to air the final season premiere of its show "Lost."

"I don't foresee a scenario in which millions of people who hope to finally get some conclusion with 'Lost' are pre-empted by the president," he assured ABC's reporters at his daily briefing.

State of the Union dates have been slipping steadily. In the 1930s, the president gave his annual address to Congress during the first week in January. By the 1960s, that had slipped to the second week, and by the 1980s, it was regularly hitting the end of January.

This year, Mr. Obama's search for a date stems from the White House's desire to have a major legislative accomplishment to tout — in this case, health care.

Steffen W. Schmidt, known as "Dr. Politics," said Mr. Obama needs to have a pony before he can have a dog-and-pony show.

"You and I and everybody else knows why, and that's that you kind of want to at least have gotten something from health care reform out there so you have bragging points," said Mr. Schmidt, a professor of political science at Iowa State University and host of the state public radio's "Dr. Politics" program.

Mr. Gibbs denied that the timing is tied to the legislative agenda, but he didn't say anything more about the considerations.

The Constitution requires the president to periodically deliver a report to Congress about the state of the nation. Presidents Washington and John Adams gave theirs in person annually, but Thomas Jefferson submitted his in writing — a tradition that lasted until President Wilson returned to delivering the speech in person.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/jan/12/obama-in-no-rush-for-state-of-union/?feat=home_headlines

Jeff
01-12-2010, 07:46 PM
When there is nothing but trash to report why bother , he has run out of lies

glockmail
01-12-2010, 08:22 PM
He'll probably do it opposite of the Super Bowl and only on PMSNBC, that way only 6 or 7 people will see it.

red states rule
01-13-2010, 07:11 AM
He'll probably do it opposite of the Super Bowl and only on PMSNBC, that way only 6 or 7 people will see it.

The ratings for his speechs and press confrences having been heading south -so that would be nothing new

Also, have you noticed all the fainting when he speaks have ceased?

The glow has faded from the Chosen One :laugh2:

glockmail
01-13-2010, 08:25 AM
LOL "the fainting". :lol:

red states rule
01-13-2010, 09:07 AM
LOL "the fainting". :lol:

Maybe he can have Virgil attend the speech and faint when he talks about how the stimlus has created and saved 4 million new jobs :laugh2:

However, when Obama gives his SOTU speech it will be mostly Bush's fault and the Dems will give him a standing "O"

Monkeybone
01-13-2010, 09:56 AM
They were talking on the radio this morning how the jobs are going to "blossom" this spring and then really pick up in June and July. Also, that they will finally release the rest of the stimulus money. Then we will have unemployment under 9%!! Can you believe it? I mean forget about the fact that it wasn't supposed to go above 8%. :lmao:

How do they expect us to believe this? Maybe he is just waiting until after all of this... so we can expect the speach sometime in September?

red states rule
01-13-2010, 10:00 AM
They were talking on the radio this morning how the jobs are going to "blossom" this spring and then really pick up in June and July. Also, that they will finally release the rest of the stimulus money. Then we will have unemployment under 9%!! Can you believe it? I mean forget about the fact that it wasn't supposed to go above 8%. :lmao:

How do they expect us to believe this? Maybe he is just waiting until after all of this... so we can expect the speach sometime in September?

So Obama and the Dems WANT to keep people jobless NOW, and when the election gets closer THEN they want them to get jobs?

Typical liberal compassion

Monkeybone
01-13-2010, 10:01 AM
So Obama and the Dems WANT to keep people jobless NOW, and when the election gets closer THEN they want them to get jobs?

Typical liberal compassion

exactly. That way the can point and say, "See what I have done? YOu want more of this, keep me in office"

red states rule
01-13-2010, 10:15 AM
exactly. That way the can point and say, "See what I have done? YOu want more of this, keep me in office"

and at the same time, they keep them DEPENDENT on government

Which is the goal of liberals

Monkeybone
01-13-2010, 10:16 AM
and at the same time, they keep them DEPENDENT on government

Which is the goal of liberals

well it helps that they are so smart and know how to live our lives better than us Red.

red states rule
01-13-2010, 10:19 AM
well it helps that they are so smart and know how to live our lives better than us Red.

This is your typcial liberal Democrat voter. There are way too many of them out there

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P36x8rTb3jI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P36x8rTb3jI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Monkeybone
01-13-2010, 10:22 AM
Ah yes.. that little video clip. I laughed so hard when I saw that... and then I got sad... to think that is what people think. I understand that there are people out there that need help.. but seriously... come on now.

red states rule
01-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Ah yes.. that little video clip. I laughed so hard when I saw that... and then I got sad... to think that is what people think. I understand that there are people out there that need help.. but seriously... come on now.

And I wonder what she thinks as she pulls up to the pump and writes the check to the bank every month

Is she still waiting for her stimulus check, or has she realized she was a fool?

namvet
01-13-2010, 10:59 AM

we all need a good laff

mm1KOBMg1Y8

Monkeybone
01-13-2010, 11:17 AM
wow. That video is really no surprise. The hear what they wanna hear and believe what they wanna believe. But that can really go both sides. That is why I try to make an educated guess instead of a party guess.

namvet
01-13-2010, 11:51 AM
wow. That video is really no surprise. The hear what they wanna hear and believe what they wanna believe. But that can really go both sides. That is why I try to make an educated guess instead of a party guess.

but you have yet to make a educated guess. constipation ????

Monkeybone
01-13-2010, 12:07 PM
but you have yet to make a educated guess. constipation ????

and where did I say that I didn't choose? glasses????