PDA

View Full Version : What defines a "Christian Nation"?

-Cp
01-13-2010, 09:24 PM
I hear so many say that the USA is a "Christian Nation" - if so - what defines that?

Others say we were "Founded as a Christian Nation" - my question is this then:

Do you think that coming into a land that already had inhabitants in it (Native Americans) and taking their land by force (even giving them blankets that had small pox on them) was a good example of Christ?

HogTrash
01-13-2010, 10:28 PM
Predominately white nations are generally considered Christian nations.

Some Americans have began a campaign to deny this Christian heritage since the onslaught of marxism in the west.

-Cp
01-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Predominately white nations are generally considered Christian nations.

So.. .how many whites live in Lebanon again?

HogTrash
01-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Did you know that since the beginning of the human race, people have been murdering other people taking their land and enslaving people?

All people have killed other people and taken other peoples land and all people have been slave owners as well as slaves.

Why do liberals only seem to believe that the evil white race is the only people to ever murder people, take their land and own slaves?

Is any of this penetrating your thick skull, einstein?

HogTrash
01-13-2010, 10:53 PM
So.. .how many whites live in Lebanon again?Did you happen to notice the word "generally"?

DragonStryk72
01-14-2010, 05:15 AM
I hear so many say that the USA is a "Christian Nation" - if so - what defines that?

Others say we were "Founded as a Christian Nation" - my question is this then:

Do you think that coming into a land that already had inhabitants in it (Native Americans) and taking their land by force (even giving them blankets that had small pox on them) was a good example of Christ?

Okay, I don't have time to address the many inconsistencies in Hog's posts, so I'll just run with the OP, and do it that way. People say we were founded as a Christian Nation predominately because our founders were mostly christian. Actually, it wasn't just the bible we borrowed from, we borrowed the best from many different cultures, taking from the Native Americans the treaties of the Iroquois Nation, which gave us the foundations of our own constitution, as well as from Montesquieu and John Locke.

The reason was that what we were creating had never been done before, and so the founders looked to their christian belief in deism. A quick definition of Deism for those that don't know:

Deism (\ˈdi:iz(ə)m\[1] or \ˈdē-ˌi-zəm\)[2] is a religious and philosophical belief that a supreme being created the universe, and that this (and religious truth in general) can be determined using reason and observation of the natural world alone, without a need for either faith or organized religion. Deists tend to, but do not necessarily, reject the notion of divine interventions in human affairs, such as by miracles and revelations.

See, the core of the belief is that God set up the universe perfectly in the first place, but in order for us to have free will, God took a step back, and thus, generally stays out of small time affairs. In any case, it was after this model that they set up the US Government, in order to give the individual as much freedom as possible by restricting the government emplaced over them.

-Cp
01-14-2010, 08:00 AM
Okay, I don't have time to address the many inconsistencies in Hog's posts, so I'll just run with the OP, and do it that way. People say we were founded as a Christian Nation predominately because our founders were mostly christian. Actually, it wasn't just the bible we borrowed from, we borrowed the best from many different cultures, taking from the Native Americans the treaties of the Iroquois Nation, which gave us the foundations of our own constitution, as well as from Montesquieu and John Locke.

The reason was that what we were creating had never been done before, and so the founders looked to their christian belief in deism. A quick definition of Deism for those that don't know:

Deism (\ˈdi:iz(ə)m\[1] or \ˈdē-ˌi-zəm\)[2] is a religious and philosophical belief that a supreme being created the universe, and that this (and religious truth in general) can be determined using reason and observation of the natural world alone, without a need for either faith or organized religion. Deists tend to, but do not necessarily, reject the notion of divine interventions in human affairs, such as by miracles and revelations.

See, the core of the belief is that God set up the universe perfectly in the first place, but in order for us to have free will, God took a step back, and thus, generally stays out of small time affairs. In any case, it was after this model that they set up the US Government, in order to give the individual as much freedom as possible by restricting the government emplaced over them.

I don't disagree w/ anything you said, however, how does borrowing ideas and principles from the Bible make us a "christian nation"?

-Cp
01-14-2010, 08:01 AM
Did you know that since the beginning of the human race, people have been murdering other people taking their land and enslaving people?

All people have killed other people and taken other peoples land and all people have been slave owners as well as slaves.

Why do liberals only seem to believe that the evil white race is the only people to ever murder people, take their land and own slaves?

Is any of this penetrating your thick skull, einstein?

:link::link::link::link:

Agnapostate
01-14-2010, 08:09 AM

No. And it's church authorities' knowledge of that that leads them to deny the occurrence of authoritarian Christian impositions against that population, at least in the case of Roman Catholicism.

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo18/Dolgoff/pope01_large.jpghttp://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo18/Dolgoff/pope2_large.jpg

Hispanic encroachment (the major source of the importation of Catholicism) never swallowed the U.S. and only touched the Southwest for a time, of course, but the old missions still stand...