PDA

View Full Version : Why no damage reports from Dominican Republic, next to Haiti?

Little-Acorn
01-14-2010, 02:30 PM
We are hearing horrible damage reports from various cities in Haiti, after the earthquake. The capital, Port-au-Prince, is said to be almost completely destroyed, with literally hundreds of thousands of people killed.

But I am curious: Haiti is half of an island in the Caribbean, near Cuba. The other half of the island is a country called Dominican Republic. Some of its cities are only 20 miles from Port-au-Prince.

Why are we hearing NO reports of damage, deaths etc. from the Dominican Republic?

http://earth.esa.int/ew/special_events/haiti/_images/Haiti_map.gif

Trigg
01-14-2010, 02:34 PM
The Dominican, even though it is also desperately poor, has a more stable government and stricter building codes.

My father lives and works down there 8 months out of the year. He hasn't written of any damage from the quake.

glockmail
01-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Once when I flew to Jamaica it was very clear day going over that island, and you could see green trees and crops on the Dominican side and brown dirt on the other. Haiti's been fucked up for a while.

Little-Acorn
01-14-2010, 02:40 PM
The Dominican, even though it is also desperately poor, has a more stable government and stricter building codes.

My father lives and works down there 8 months out of the year. He hasn't written of any damage from the quake.

Trigg, has he written or called you about anything at all, since the quake? (Letters would take a while to get here, obviously. But how about telephone, email etc.?)

I'm VERY interested in how the quake affected the DR.

Trigg
01-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Trigg, has he written or called you about anything at all, since the quake? (Letters would take a while to get here, obviously. But how about telephone, email etc.?)

I'm VERY interested in how the quake affected the DR.

He hasn't mentioned any damage although news reports are saying they felt some shaking.

Haiti is almost completely deforested which is why when the hurricanes strike the Dominican gets flooding and Haiti gets landslides. There are also no building codes unlike the Dominican.

It's very sad it's a desperately poor and overcrowded country.

HogTrash
01-14-2010, 03:12 PM
He hasn't mentioned any damage although news reports are saying they felt some shaking.

Haiti is almost completely deforested which is why when the hurricanes strike the Dominican gets flooding and Haiti gets landslides. There are also no building codes unlike the Dominican.

It's very sad it's a desperately poor and overcrowded country.The earthquake may have solved their overpopulation problem, at least for a little while.

Gaffer
01-14-2010, 03:52 PM
We are hearing horrible damage reports from various cities in Haiti, after the earthquake. The capital, Port-au-Prince, is said to be almost completely destroyed, with literally hundreds of thousands of people killed.

But I am curious: Haiti is half of an island in the Caribbean, near Cuba. The other half of the island is a country called Dominican Republic. Some of its cities are only 20 miles from Port-au-Prince.

Why are we hearing NO reports of damage, deaths etc. from the Dominican Republic?

http://earth.esa.int/ew/special_events/haiti/_images/Haiti_map.gif

I was wondering the same thing. That strong an earthquake should have effected the DR as well.

PostmodernProphet
01-15-2010, 08:08 AM
I was wondering the same thing. That strong an earthquake should have effected the DR as well.

depends on which tectonic plate moved....one slips away from the other, the damage will be on the plate that moved.....