PDA

View Full Version : $8 To Enter Manhattan By Car? - Is that legal?

-Cp
04-20-2007, 10:52 PM
Coming Real Soon: $8 To Enter Manhattan By Car
Bloomberg Ready To Fight Albany For Congestion Fee

A controversial new plan is about to be implemented to improve the quality of life in New York City.

This weekend Mayor Michael Bloomberg is expected to introduce an $8 congestion fee for drivers who enter Manhattan below 86th Street.

On the city's traffic-clogged arteries Friday, Bloomberg was not a popular guy.

"Next thing he's gonna charge us to cross the street," one driver said.

Complaints like those echoed among drivers who'd heard that the mayor is about to propose tolls for vehicles entering Midtown Manhattan.

A mayoral panel has proposed charging motorists to enter Manhattan below 86th Street from 6 am to 6 p.m.

That charge would:

-- Include any bridge or tunnel tolls people already pay

-- Exempt drivers who bypass the business district on their way to another part of the city.

-- Exempt taxi drivers, and possibly give discounts for people who live and work in the zone.

Advocates said it's crucial for a city that's expected to add another million people in the next 20 years.

"Things here are gonna grind to a halt if something is not done to relieve the congestion on New York City's streets," said Noah Budnick of Transportation Alternatives.

Opposition has already formed in the boroughs outside of Manhattan, where some view Bloomberg as a Manhattan elitist.

Former Queens Councilman Walter McCaffrey represents a group opposed to the idea.

"Those individuals who are not that well to do are going to find they're being hit with a $5,000 a year tax," McCaffrey said.

This could set off a battle royale from here to Albany, where the legislature would have to approve the plan. The mayor will unveil details of it on Sunday when he delivers a speech on the future of New York City.

In that speech, the mayor is expected to outline an ambitious agenda for his final 32 months in office. He'll propose a new $7.5 billion freight tunnel under the Hudson River, and call for the construction of 250,000 new homes.

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_110131425.html

Mr. P
04-20-2007, 11:05 PM
Sure it's legal, so is voting for someone else when the time comes.

04-21-2007, 05:01 AM
I don't know. There is supposedly a fundamental right to travel, at least in some form or another. I dont know the details of it. So it might cause some Constitutional issues, but that is pretty unlikely.

Kathianne
04-21-2007, 07:58 AM
I don't know. There is supposedly a fundamental right to travel, at least in some form or another. I dont know the details of it. So it might cause some Constitutional issues, but that is pretty unlikely.

I don't know, sounds like a 'toll' to me, we have plenty of those.

Nuc
04-21-2007, 08:06 AM
I lived in NYC for ten years. It would be a much better place if it were car free. Of course you need vans and trucks to deliver things, emergency vehicles and so on. But for Joe Blow to get into the city...............take the subway or pay and that's the way to make NYC a much better place. People always whine about what a shithole NYC is, but then when somebody comes along with a plan to improve things (and this tax would improve things) they also whine. Get with the program. The place is too small for every knob to drive into town. Sorry!

OCA
04-21-2007, 11:22 AM
Going into Manhattan that 8 bucks is cheap, its 9 dollars just to cross the Verrazano narrows from Staten Island to Brooklyn.........one way.

Tolls are a way of life in the Northeast, difficult at best to get around them.

gabosaurus
04-21-2007, 11:30 AM

Excellent point! Anyone who has ever been to Manhattan knows how absolutely choked it is with traffic. There are lots of toll tunnels, bridges and roads. Many places charge to access beaches. Why not charge to drive into Manhattan?
I think it is a great idea. Mostly because I don't live there. :laugh2:

OCA
04-21-2007, 11:32 AM
Excellent point! Anyone who has ever been to Manhattan knows how absolutely choked it is with traffic. There are lots of toll tunnels, bridges and roads. Many places charge to access beaches. Why not charge to drive into Manhattan?
I think it is a great idea. Mostly because I don't live there. :laugh2:

They already charge, at both the Lincoln and Holland tunnels, not sure what this new fee is.

BTW takes a toll to get from the east bay to Frisco, same thing.

gabosaurus
04-21-2007, 11:34 AM
And it sucks the same way.

manu1959
04-21-2007, 11:37 AM
And it sucks the same way.

take BART....it is better for the environment

Samantha
04-21-2007, 11:49 AM
You don't need a car in NYC.

manu1959
04-21-2007, 11:53 AM
You don't need a car in NYC.

don't need one in SF either...

Samantha
04-21-2007, 11:55 AM
don't need one in SF either...It's not the same at all. In NYC (I worked there for 15 years) the subway goes everywhere. There are cabs on every street. You just stand there and hail one.

In SF it's not as easy. I've lived here for 7 years.

Abbey Marie
04-21-2007, 01:19 PM
The city of London has penalties for taking a car in there, right, Roomy?
Sometimes strong measures must be taken.

Nuc
04-21-2007, 03:19 PM
They already charge, at both the Lincoln and Holland tunnels, not sure what this new fee is.

The crap thing about the Bay Bridge toll is that it backs up traffic for miles. Paying the toll is OK but I don't like to lose an hour of my time. My time is valuable. They need a better system. Same thing happens on the East Coast.

04-21-2007, 05:58 PM

I know. thats why I think its unlikely.

04-21-2007, 06:00 PM
I lived in NYC for ten years. It would be a much better place if it were car free. Of course you need vans and trucks to deliver things, emergency vehicles and so on. But for Joe Blow to get into the city...............take the subway or pay and that's the way to make NYC a much better place. People always whine about what a shithole NYC is, but then when somebody comes along with a plan to improve things (and this tax would improve things) they also whine. Get with the program. The place is too small for every knob to drive into town. Sorry!

And where do you expect people who drive to the city from accross country to leave their cars? Or how about the people who live there who own cars? Should they not be allowed to own cars simply because they live in the city?