PDA

View Full Version : Luxury Cruise Line Docks Near Haiti & Passengers Party

Luna Tick
01-18-2010, 11:23 PM
Should they have done this? A cruise ship kept its scheduled stop in Haiti and the passengers got off the ship and enjoyed the beach, drinks, and BBQ. According to the woman in this vid, that was in bad taste and they shouldn't have done that.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UjIrS2Wa1wc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UjIrS2Wa1wc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

What do you think? Should they have done that or should they have stayed on the ship?

SassyLady
01-18-2010, 11:26 PM
Should they have done this? A cruise ship kept its scheduled stop in Haiti and the passengers got off the ship and enjoyed the beach, drinks, and BBQ. According to the woman in this vid, that was in bad taste and they shouldn't have done that.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UjIrS2Wa1wc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UjIrS2Wa1wc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

What do you think? Should they have done that or should they have stayed on the ship?

Well, if it's true I think the cruise ship should have changed their course and not stopped in Haiti.

chloe
01-18-2010, 11:34 PM
I think its in bad taste also if they could make it over there why not just bring medical supplies and water/food?

HogTrash
01-18-2010, 11:47 PM
Liberals are so disgusting.

I got physically ill listening to the liberal bitch in the video talking about how insensitive people are.

How wonderful life would be without liberals.

Luna Tick
01-18-2010, 11:51 PM
I think its in bad taste also if they could make it over there why not just bring medical supplies and water/food?

Actually, they did do that. The thesis of the woman in the video was that they should have just dropped off the supplies without allowing passengers off the ship and then they should have just left.

chloe
01-18-2010, 11:57 PM
Actually, they did do that. The thesis of the woman in the video was that they should have just dropped off the supplies without allowing passengers off the ship and then they should have just left.

Well I probably wouldn't have wanted to go a on a cruise so close to all the death. I mean the passegers knew they were going on a cruise near haiti right?

Luna Tick
01-18-2010, 11:59 PM
Yes, but I'm sure it was booked long before the earthquake there.

chloe
01-19-2010, 12:02 AM
Yes, but I'm sure it was booked long before the earthquake there.

so the cruise should have proposed options, they should have offered a refund, or proposed an alternative navigation or delayed it giving vouchers good for a year. In my opinion its in poor taste to cruise near a tragedy and party and relax.

SassyLady
01-19-2010, 12:03 AM
so the cruise should have proposed options, they should have offered a refund, or proposed an alternative navigation or delayed it giving vouchers good for a year. In my opinion its in poor taste to cruise near a tragedy and party and relax.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant.

Mr. P
01-19-2010, 12:27 AM

Yep..and thus denied the Haitians of income they depend on from the cruise ships...now more than ever...NOW that makes since.

Trigg
01-19-2010, 04:42 PM
I have to agree with Mr. P on this one.

The earthquake didn't hit the entire country, it hit one city.

Does tourism end when one section of a country has a disaster? Did people cancell their trip to the US during 9/11 or Katrina?? NO.

Tourism has only recently come to Haiti and the people who work at these beach resorts or who sell at the bazaars NEED THE MONEY.

Spending money in Haiti is a good thing and keeping tourists coming, even during a disaster of this magnatude, is essential for such a poor country.

Noir
01-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Liberals are so disgusting.

I got physically ill listening to the liberal bitch in the video talking about how insensitive people are.

How wonderful life would be without liberals.

Excuse me? Liberals are disgusting because they think its insensitive to party a few miles from were people are having their lives ripped apart and are dying?

You are blinded by your own bullshit, which you have, ironically, programmed into yourself, which seems to have left you cold and uncaring, and anyone who displays human emotions must be a liberal and thus disgusting and better of without.

As for the story, personally they should have docked, dropped off the aid they had and then moved on to their next dock. However, i do not blame the shipping company, for even though they did stay the real decision was with the passengers whom you would of though would have been decent enough to stay onboard.

Kathianne
01-19-2010, 05:10 PM

I don't know the details, haven't seen the article yet. My first thought is 1. They were on return leg and didn't have the supplies to grab. 2. If the beaches could handle the 'cruisers' the folks working sure could use the money. Tourism isn't going to be the same there for a long time to come.

HogTrash
01-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Excuse me? Liberals are disgusting because they think its insensitive to party a few miles from were people are having their lives ripped apart and are dying?

You are blinded by your own bullshit, which you have, ironically, programmed into yourself, which seems to have left you cold and uncaring, and anyone who displays human emotions must be a liberal and thus disgusting and better of without.

As for the story, personally they should have docked, dropped off the aid they had and then moved on to their next dock. However, i do not blame the shipping company, for even though they did stay the real decision was with the passengers whom you would of though would have been decent enough to stay onboard.Liberals would do better to stop complaining and critisizing and let other people live their lives as they see fit.

Those people on the boat have most likely contributed more time and money to charitable causes than most whiney-bitchy liberals.

Noir
01-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Liberals would do better to stop complaining and critisizing and let other people live their lives as they see fit.

Those people on the boat have most likely contributed more time and money to charitable causes than most whiney-bitchy liberals.

Liberal bashing followed by baseless statements, quite typical of your posting style.

Abbey Marie
01-19-2010, 05:32 PM
I just read that the cruise line decided that it would stop because it would help Haiti if their passengers got off and spent money to support the economy. I can see the logic, and it is especially nice that they dropped off supplies.

I am glad, though, that I wasn't on that ship. I wouldn't have been able to "party" in that place at that time. I would have wanted to go help in whatever way I could.

Kathianne
01-19-2010, 05:34 PM
I just read that the cruise line decided that it would stop because it would help Haiti if their passengers got off and spent money to support the economy. I can see the logic, and it is especially nice that they dropped off supplies.

I am glad, though, that I wasn't on that ship. I wouldn't have been able to "party" in that place at that time. I would have wanted to go help in whatever way I could.

Perhaps some did? I don't know if there was much they could do. I think however that any dollars, euros, yen, spent though would help.

Abbey Marie
01-19-2010, 05:37 PM
Perhaps some did? I don't know if there was much they could do. I think however that any dollars, euros, yen, spent though would help.

I doubt it, because of the safety issue. I read that the cruise line posts armed gaurds when the passengers leave the ship in Haiti. I had the impression that is the usual MO, not just now.

CockySOB
01-19-2010, 05:37 PM
Yep..and thus denied the Haitians of income they depend on from the cruise ships...now more than ever...NOW that makes since.

Exactly right. Haiti needs that revenue now more than ever. Diverting those revenues would do more damage than any good.

Kathianne
01-19-2010, 05:59 PM
I doubt it, because of the safety issue. I read that the cruise line posts armed gaurds when the passengers leave the ship in Haiti. I had the impression that is the usual MO, not just now.

I'd have to agree with the Cruise Line. Truth is, communication might be a problem and few of us would be able to deal with the 'real' Haiti.

However, it would be interesting to find how much the folks on the beach donated.

Interestingly enough, related sort of. Last Wed. and Thurs. I discussed with my students, (ages 11-14), what was happening in Haiti. They'd seen some of the news reports of course, but couldn't contemplate that sort of poverty BEFORE the earthquake struck coupled with the damage after. Thurs. morning I asked my principal if I could use the next 3 weeks for 'my' mission for Haiti, (each grade usually has a week). At first she wanted to put it off to 'Catholic Schools Week', the first week in Feb. I argued we'd be losing a 'teachable moment' as the kids were catching the news and it would probably recede by then. Got her OK and had the 8th grade make posters with information about Haiti. Explained the serious repercussions of bad government when catastrophe strikes.

They had to get images off the web and construct posters. Again the principal declined the charity I wanted to receive funds, http://www.foodforthepoor.org/ which has a 97% efficiency rating. Instead we had to use http://crs.org/ which is very good, just not quite as efficient. Well, what is, is.

Friday we had an institute. I got stuck next to her in mass. First thing she said to me, "I had four parents call before 4 pm, yesterday. They want to know when they can send money and where it's going. Please, get on this first thing Tuesday. Let me know our plan."

Ahem, still stuck with less efficient, but are on the ground and were before earthquake hit, so probably a not bad call.

Today the 8th graders hung their posters and went to grades PS-5th to tell them about collection of money. To address the issues of 'wants' and 'needs.' They'd researched the avg family income, unemployment, average life span, etc. on Haiti. We geared their 'introduction to age groups', posters too! I'd handle 6th and 7th about the collection.

My 7th graders want to 'give more' than they or their parents can. "What can we do to raise money?" They went home dividing up buying materials to make lapel pins for "Help4Haiti". They figure they'll sell them for $1. When I talked to the principal she was like, "A pin? What if they get stuck?" I was about to lose it when a parent overheard and said, "What a great idea, why not a pancake breakfast after masses on a Sunday? The kids can sell the pins and my husband will donate the food?" We're looking to raise over $1k. That's with a cost of $5 for adults, $3 for kids over 5. Free for those under. I'll bet you we raise twice that amount. People will pay $5 for the pins and double for breakfast. Even. In. These. Times.

HogTrash
01-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Liberal bashing followed by baseless statements, quite typical of your posting style.LOL!...My post was based on my personal beliefs, the same as that post of yours I was responding to was based on your beliefs...LOL! :laugh2:

chloe
01-19-2010, 08:02 PM
I don't know the details, haven't seen the article yet. My first thought is 1. They were on return leg and didn't have the supplies to grab. 2. If the beaches could handle the 'cruisers' the folks working sure could use the money. Tourism isn't going to be the same there for a long time to come.

Well for me anyway I wouldnt want to be so close to all that death & corpses. But it is nice they are donating 100% of funds to haiti. I don't think I would have booked a cruise to Haiti in the first place though because I don't have an interest in the place. So maybe thats why .