PDA

View Full Version : Sock Puppets

SassyLady
01-18-2010, 11:30 PM
While I was cruising around the internet today I read a conversation about people who create sock puppets. I had no idea what that was and when I looked it up this is what Wiki says:

A sockpuppet is an online identity used for purposes of deception within an online community. In its earliest usage, a sockpuppet was a false identity through which a member of an Internet community speaks with or about himself or herself, pretending to be a different person,[1] like a ventriloquist manipulating a hand puppet.

In current usage, the perception of the term has been extended beyond second identities of people who already post in a forum to include other uses of misleading online identities. For example, a NY Times article claims that "sock-puppeting" is defined as "the act of creating a fake online identity to praise, defend or create the illusion of support for one’s self, allies or company."

Has anyone here ever had experience with "sock puppets"?

chloe
01-18-2010, 11:33 PM
While I was cruising around the internet today I read a conversation about people who create sock puppets. I had no idea what that was and when I looked it up this is what Wiki says:

Has anyone here ever had experience with "sock puppets"?

Ive seen them at two boards,some boards allow it and some don't depends on the owner/admin, the ones that don't allow it ban the people who do that and the ones that allow it will allow it up to a point until the poser crosses a line. You never heard of sock puppets before today ?

SassyLady
01-18-2010, 11:52 PM
Ive seen them at two boards,some boards allow it and some don't depends on the owner/admin, the ones that don't allow it ban the people who do that and the ones that allow it will allow it up to a point until the poser crosses a line. You never heard of sock puppets before today ?

Never. :eek:

I've always trusted that the admins never allowed someone to create more than one identity. And, in the discussion I read today they were saying that this person had been banned and then came back using a "sock puppet". That is what piqued my interest in the phrase.

I've thought there were people on line before that sounded a lot like another poster on the board, using the same syntax and slang, but had no proof that it was the same person.

Do you think there are "sock puppets" here on DP?

chloe
01-18-2010, 11:55 PM

I've always trusted that the admins never allowed someone to create more than one identity. And, in the discussion I read today they were saying that this person had been banned and then came back using a "sock puppet". That is what piqued my interest in the phrase.

I've thought there were people on line before that sounded a lot like another poster on the board, using the same syntax and slang, but had no proof that it was the same person.

yeah I have posted before at a different political board that openly allowed it, anyway usually people think they are funny but if they happen to cross a line they get banned. It is common at boards. Some boards are less leniant about it though its really owner/admin discretion in my opinion.

SassyLady
01-19-2010, 12:09 AM
yeah I have posted before at a different political board that openly allowed it, anyway usually people think they are funny but if they happen to cross a line they get banned. It is common at boards. Some boards are less leniant about it though its really owner/admin discretion in my opinion.

Well, I will certainly be looking at posters a little differently from now on. Thanks for the info Chloe.

chloe
01-19-2010, 12:15 AM

I don't know if any are on this board, at one time I felt like people were insinuating I was luna tick and that's why Kathianne and jimnyc clarified I wasn't. They also said Luna was not anyone else from here either. Luna Tick is the only person I would have suspected as a sock puppet only because she/he used my real birthday as his/her birthday in his/her profile, and she/he was posting in a style like me, but I recognized that as mockery and saw it as funny. Anyway, I am not luna tick and he/she is not me I swear to GOD. LOL Do you think someone at DP is using a sock puppet?

gabosaurus
01-19-2010, 12:51 AM
GW Bush was one of the greatest sock puppets of our generation. :p

SassyLady
01-19-2010, 12:56 AM
I don't know if any are on this board, at one time I felt like people were insinuating I was luna tick and that's why Kathianne and jimnyc clarified I wasn't. They also said Luna was not anyone else from here either. Luna Tick is the only person I would have suspected as a sock puppet only because she/he used my real birthday as his/her birthday in his/her profile, and she/he was posting in a style like me, but I recognized that as mockery and saw it as funny. Anyway, I am not luna tick and he/she is not me I swear to GOD. LOL Do you think someone at DP is using a sock puppet?

No........just something I read about someone else on a different board.........but this is the only place I post so I thought I would ask about it here.

Good to know that you are not LT!!! She's not as pretty as you are!

chloe
01-19-2010, 12:59 AM
No........just something I read about someone else on a different board.........but this is the only place I post so I thought I would ask about it here.

Good to know that you are not LT!!! She's not as pretty as you are!

well her picture is distorted she might be prettiest of all. :)

gabosaurus
01-19-2010, 01:02 AM
I am guessing the powers that be know who this "Luna Tick" person is. And that they are having a great deal of fun with it.

Jeff
01-19-2010, 01:27 AM
I am guessing the powers that be know who this "Luna Tick" person is. And that they are having a great deal of fun with it.

I bet Luna Tick is GW, got to be, just ask Obama, everything else a lib can't figure out is on GW, LOL

SassyLady
01-19-2010, 01:33 AM
I bet Luna Tick is GW, got to be, just ask Obama, everything else a lib can't figure out is on GW, LOL

Good one! :laugh2:

PostmodernProphet
01-19-2010, 08:06 AM
time to come clean....I am Abbey.....

chloe
01-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Luna Tick might be Bill O' Reilly in disguise, I have read famous people go online to message boards and they love the net because of the anonymity. However, she could easily be Keith Olberman since she likes men more then women, if she was Bill O' Reilly she would have flirted with me by now because he knows how much I adore him.