PDA

View Full Version : If you can...

Mr. P
04-20-2007, 11:26 PM
Define..LOVE. As in love for another person.

manu1959
04-20-2007, 11:30 PM

when faced with death your concern is for their well being not yours

shattered
04-20-2007, 11:39 PM
You can't define it.. You just know it.. You just feel it.. It's just *there*, and overpowering. It doesn't require words, and if you try and find the words anyway, most times they just won't come, because they seem too "weak"...

jackass
04-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Define which love you are referring to. The love for your kids is different than the love for your wife. IMO.

Roomy
04-21-2007, 02:19 PM
I am with ManU' in as much that, given the choice........I would die for my wife, kids and grandkids..at least I hope I would.

Trigg
04-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Wow.......that's a hard one.

I know I love my husband because when he's not around I somehow don't feel whole.

Mr. P
04-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Define which love you are referring to. The love for your kids is different than the love for your wife. IMO.

Just in general. Love is....?

*No it not never having to say your sorry*:laugh2:

Abbey Marie
I am with ManU' in as much that, given the choice........I would die for my wife, kids and grandkids..at least I hope I would.

There is no greater love...

Roomy

I can understand that.Take her out of the equation, the kids are grown up.:laugh2:

Kathianne
04-21-2007, 02:23 PM

Agreed. There is that quote, “Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends ”(John 15:13).

Roomy
04-21-2007, 05:04 PM
Agreed. There is that quote, “Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends ”(John 15:13).

It's true too, thats where the medals in war time come from and the civilian medals of valour, selfless acts of courage for others, we all like to think we would, but would we, I hope so, most folk would imo burning buildings...kids..happens all the time.......People are basicaly fucking superb......colour, religion, politics.......people in distress...fuck it all let me help...

LiberalNation
04-21-2007, 05:08 PM
The opposite of hate.

Roomy
04-21-2007, 05:11 PM
The opposite of hate.

You stupid little girl

Kathianne
04-21-2007, 05:32 PM
It's true too, thats where the medals in war time come from and the civilian medals of valour, selfless acts of courage for others, we all like to think we would, but would we, I hope so, most folk would imo burning buildings...kids..happens all the time.......People are basicaly fucking superb......colour, religion, politics.......people in distress...fuck it all let me help...

The professor that threw himself at the door last Monday, giving the students time to jump out the window. Using his body as a shield.

Roomy
04-21-2007, 05:46 PM
The professor that threw himself at the door last Monday, giving the students time to jump out the window. Using his body as a shield.

Do you know something, I couldn't have thought of a more fitting example:clap:

jackass
04-21-2007, 08:30 PM

Love? I dont think so. Bravery? Hell yes!

Kathianne
04-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Love? I dont think so. Bravery? Hell yes!

I love my students, in 'that' way. They are the future.

jackass
04-21-2007, 08:33 PM
I think the love of your spouse somehow either completes who you are or helps you become the person you want to be.

The love of a child is the desire never to let anything hurt them. You would be eaten alive by lions before letting them get hurt. Its looking at them and just feeling like you want to cry/smile/laugh all at once.

I dont know...something like that for me :)

jackass
04-21-2007, 08:34 PM
I love my students, in 'that' way. They are the future.

Love or like?

Kathianne
04-21-2007, 08:35 PM
Love or like?

I'd like to think I'd love them enough to do what this professor did. I know I'd do it for my own children.

LiberalNation
04-21-2007, 08:37 PM
I'd be first in line to get out the window myself. I don't "love" or even like most of my classmates.

jackass
04-21-2007, 08:37 PM
I'd like to think I'd love them enough to do what this professor did. I know I'd do it for my own children.

I like to think I would do it just because they were kids and it was my responsability to protect them. I dont think I would do it out of love though. My opinion.

manu1959
04-21-2007, 08:39 PM
I'd be first in line to get out the window myself. I don't "love" or even like most of my classmates.

ever see the documentary on the russian school that was taken by terrorists.....this naked kid gets out the window then climbs back in to be with their mom....that is love....moments after the child climbs back in the place blows up collapses and catches fire...

Kathianne
04-21-2007, 08:41 PM
I like to think I would do it just because they were kids and it was my responsability to protect them. I dont think I would do it out of love though. My opinion.

But you wouldn't be there, right? You don't know the 18-30 kids? I grant you there are differences from Sept-June. 6th-8th.

LiberalNation
04-21-2007, 08:41 PM
Yes that is love, the mom shouldn't have let the kid do it tho.

Oh and I wouldn't even mind if a few people in the building I hate got the bullets.

jackass
04-21-2007, 08:47 PM
But you wouldn't be there, right? You don't know the 18-30 kids? I grant you there are differences from Sept-June. 6th-8th.

I would be there if I was visiting my son or daughter at school if thats what you mean.
I guess what I am saying if I happened to be there when something broke out I would die trying to save the kids, just because I think its the right thing to do, not out of love.

Kathianne
04-21-2007, 09:01 PM
I would be there if I was visiting my son or daughter at school if thats what you mean.
I guess what I am saying if I happened to be there when something broke out I would die trying to save the kids, just because I think its the right thing to do, not out of love.
and that would be the right thing to do. As a parent, you would know some of the kids, some better than others. As a teacher, I'm with them more, daily. I have the same kids for 3 years. While some are most definately pia, yea I love them enough to throw myself between them and danger. Certainly I prefer that instead I could just write up detentions, and that's the case in reality.

But if the worse happened?

Nienna
04-22-2007, 09:02 AM
The opposite of hate.

No... I think love is very close to hate; sometimes it ignites the hatred. The opposite of love is apathy.

Love is patient, kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Summed up, love is selfless giving.

IMO. :)

darin
04-22-2007, 10:18 AM
No... I think love is very close to hate; sometimes it ignites the hatred. The opposite of love is apathy.

Love is patient, kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

:salute:

Abbey Marie
04-22-2007, 10:19 AM

Yours and Pauls. :)

Pale Rider
04-22-2007, 12:28 PM
Can't quite get a description together in my head, so I'm going to cheat....

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/8798/lovegr1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/love

Nienna
04-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Yours and Pauls. :)

Shhhh! You'll give me away! :)

Mr. P
04-22-2007, 02:14 PM

I think that only one pure of heart can give such an excellent summation! :clap:

Abbey Marie
04-22-2007, 02:22 PM
I think that only one pure of heart can give such an excellent summation! :clap:

Not to take anything away from Nienna, whose heart I am sure is also very pure, but the quote was Pau'ls from 1 Corinthians 13:4. :)

Mr. P
04-22-2007, 02:41 PM
Not to take anything away from Nienna, whose heart I am sure is also very pure, but the quote was Pau'ls from 1 Corinthians 13:4. :)

Well, credit to Paul then too..I'd rep him but...

Abbey Marie
04-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Well, credit to Paul then too..I'd rep him but...

:laugh2:

Nienna
04-22-2007, 05:08 PM

I honestly didn't think anyone would attribute that quote to me. Sorry if it was misleading.

glockmail
04-22-2007, 08:15 PM
I'd be first in line to get out the window myself. I don't "love" or even like most of my classmates. I thought libs loved everyone?

What are you rebelling against?

Abbey Marie
04-23-2007, 12:52 AM
I honestly didn't think anyone would attribute that quote to me. Sorry if it was misleading.

I know, sweetie! No apology necessary.

Gadget (fmr Marine)
04-23-2007, 06:47 AM

My 4 year old tells me, it is hugs and kisses, and making "ouchies" better, and making me smile and laugh.

It is the intangible......

LiberalNation
04-23-2007, 06:48 AM
I thought libs loved everyone?
Who said that. Maybe they do but I don't.

shattered
04-23-2007, 08:14 AM
My 4 year old tells me, it is hugs and kisses, and making "ouchies" better, and making me smile and laugh.

Your 4-year old has the best description yet.

Abbey Marie
04-23-2007, 02:03 PM

Out of the mouths of babes, as they say. And his/her description can apply to love for adults as well as love for children.

5stringJeff
04-23-2007, 10:55 PM
I'd say that love is desiring what is good and/or best for the object of your love, over your own desires.