PDA

View Full Version : Devout Christian Suing British Airways for Discrimination

chloe
01-21-2010, 12:21 AM
LONDON | A devout Christian went to London’s High Court on Tuesday in a bid to force British Airways to admit it was wrong in demanding she stop wearing a crucifix at work.

<!--
AC =
--><!-- GRAY BOX ARTICLE CONTENT--><!-- /GRAY BOX ARTICLE CONTENT-->Airport check-in clerk Nadia Eweida became the center of a national debate over religious symbols in public life when she was sent home in November 2006 for refusing to comply with rules banning employees from wearing visible religious symbols.
BA eventually relented, changing its policy to allow Eweida to return to work.

But the 58-year-old wants BA to acknowledge the old policy amounted to religious discrimination, and she is seeking 120,000 pounds (nearly $200,000) in damages and lost wages for the roughly three months she was kept off the job.

http://www.theledger.com/article/20100119/NEWS/100119746?Title=Devout-Christian-Suing-British-Airways-for-Discrimination

-Cp
01-21-2010, 01:08 AM
What does "Devout Christian" mean?

Noir
01-21-2010, 01:42 AM
I memo this from ages ago, if i memo right she was told she could wear it under her uniform, but she went against that and displayed it over her uniform

Mr. P
01-21-2010, 02:55 AM

Doesn't matter, if she worked for me and went against policy she wouldn't have a job..devout or not.

PostmodernProphet
01-21-2010, 08:15 AM

apparently, someone who refuses to take off a crucifix even when they are threatened with firing.....

chloe
01-21-2010, 08:43 AM
apparently, someone who refuses to take off a crucifix even when they are threatened with firing.....

:laugh2:

DragonStryk72
01-21-2010, 06:51 PM

It means she didn't have actual faith, just her religion. I mean, Jesus didn't put forth any symbols to worship with, so they aren't required. Secondly, she would have to have been wearing it over her uniform to get it noticed, which means she has now passed the point of simply being a christian, and is now instead attempting to force others to conform to her whims.

The lawsuit for 120,000 pounds also shows that she is in it for the money, since the airline already made an exception to allow her to wear her cross, but she's gonna use jesus to get her some money now. I guarantee you, unless she was the CEO, then she doesn't make anywhere never that much in 3 months. That's just greed.

chloe
01-21-2010, 08:07 PM
It means she didn't have actual faith, just her religion. I mean, Jesus didn't put forth any symbols to worship with, so they aren't required. Secondly, she would have to have been wearing it over her uniform to get it noticed, which means she has now passed the point of simply being a christian, and is now instead attempting to force others to conform to her whims.

The lawsuit for 120,000 pounds also shows that she is in it for the money, since the airline already made an exception to allow her to wear her cross, but she's gonna use jesus to get her some money now. I guarantee you, unless she was the CEO, then she doesn't make anywhere never that much in 3 months. That's just greed.

Yeah I agree with you.