PDA

View Full Version : Truce!

TheStripey1
04-21-2007, 12:24 PM
I propose a truce between our two factions.

As you may know, after asking jimnyc if I could, I invited most of the lefties that are currently here. And I have gone around to the boards where I found them and PMed them, asking them to please chill their responses to your attacks and to not initiate any attacks of their own.

They have agreed that we will chill, if you do too.

Will you?

the tiger extends his paw.

manu1959
04-21-2007, 12:25 PM

As you may know, after asking jimnyc if I could, I invited most of the lefties that are currently here. And I have gone around to the boards where I found them and PMed them, asking them to please chill their responses to your attacks and to not initiate any attacks of their own.

Will you?

you invited loose?

OCA
04-21-2007, 12:26 PM

Will you?

No truce regarding Loose, FUCK THAT SHIT!

Roomy
04-21-2007, 12:28 PM

Probably didn't even think of including the idiot element.You are excluded Michelle.:laugh2:

Samantha
04-21-2007, 12:43 PM
No truce regarding Loose, FUCK THAT SHIT!And if Loose chills, won't you look silly? ;)

OCA
04-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Probably didn't even think of including the idiot element.You are excluded Michelle.:laugh2:

My stalker, sends me love notes with letters cut out of various daly papers from cities around the world.

A little hint troll.....when you follow someone around the board you are letting on that they are getting the better of you........I appreciate the sentiment.

Mr. P
04-21-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm for everyone being civil. It would be nice.

OCA
04-21-2007, 12:45 PM
And if Loose chills, won't you look silly? ;)

Too late for him to chill.

typomaniac
04-21-2007, 12:46 PM
"What do we want?"
VICTORY!
"When do we want it?"
NOW!

Come on, start marching with me...

Baron Von Esslingen
04-21-2007, 12:47 PM
My stalker, sends me love notes with letters cut out of various daly papers from cities around the world.

A little hint troll.....when you follow someone around the board you are letting on that they are getting the better of you........I appreciate the sentiment.

You won't be a part of a truce if it includes Loosecannon? What? Your Ignore feature doesn't work? :poke:

Samantha
04-21-2007, 12:47 PM
"What do we want?"
VICTORY!
"When do we want it?"
NOW!

Come on, start marching with me...I'm marching. :D

manu1959
04-21-2007, 12:49 PM
And if Loose chills, won't you look silly? ;)

bet you lunch loose can not chill....

OCA
04-21-2007, 12:49 PM
You won't be a part of a truce if it includes Loosecannon? What? Your Ignore feature doesn't work? :poke:

Putting people on ignore is for pussies IMO.

manu1959
04-21-2007, 12:50 PM

what you all can't control you attack dog?:poke:

typomaniac
04-21-2007, 12:51 PM
what you all can't control you attack dog?:poke:I'm the one supplying the liver treats. :p

Baron Von Esslingen
04-21-2007, 12:55 PM
And he's not the only attack dog either.

Pussies, eh? I guess you must be getting a vicarious thrill out of the fight with Loosecannon and aren't able to 'walk away' from what he has to say. Speaks very clearly to what we are dealing with...

TheStripey1
04-21-2007, 12:56 PM
you invited loose?

yes... I also invited birdz, sam, gem, typo and the baron...

TheStripey1
04-21-2007, 12:57 PM

I figured that you would be unwilling to sign up so I'm not surprized by your reaction. Flaming is ALL you do...

LiberalNation
04-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Truce, don't know who I'm trucing with but sure.

TheStripey1
04-21-2007, 01:00 PM
I'm for everyone being civil. It would be nice.

Thanks P... extends paw and shakes P's hand...

TheStripey1
04-21-2007, 01:01 PM
"What do we want?"
VICTORY!
"When do we want it?"
NOW!

Come on, start marching with me...

the tiger puts his head in his paws...

sigh...

I want a truce... Victory is well, somewhere over there... waggles paw in that direction

TheStripey1
04-21-2007, 01:02 PM

just sign on, Baron... and let OCA be what he will always be...

there is an ignore feature here?

where?

TheStripey1
04-21-2007, 01:04 PM
bet you lunch loose can not chill....

I'll take that bet... but only if you come on my side of the tunnel to collect... I know of the best Indian restaurant on the planet for a buffet lunch... if I win, you pay, if you win, I pay...

TheStripey1
04-21-2007, 01:05 PM
what you all can't control you attack dog?:poke:

about as well as you can control yours...

TheStripey1
04-21-2007, 01:08 PM
Truce, don't know who I'm trucing with but sure.

the right... you know... all of those that aren't on the left... thanks for trying to help me put an end to all the fighting...

there are plenty of boards where people discuss issues in a civil manner... and there is absolutely no reason why this can't be one of them...

Baron Von Esslingen
04-21-2007, 01:10 PM
just sign on, Baron... and let OCA be what he will always be...

there is an ignore feature here?

where?

It's in your User CP, Stripey1. I only use mine for sick motherfuckers, personally.

And I'm still thinking about accepting the "truce" because I've done that before and some rightwinger always feels justified in breaking it...

manu1959
04-21-2007, 01:10 PM
about as well as you can control yours...

yes both sides do have their wind up artists

loosecannon
04-21-2007, 01:17 PM

well in fairness Stripey invited me and i was too busy.

I came over here when GW asked for help on the board.

I saw lotsa freinds and i stayed.

Roomy
04-21-2007, 01:28 PM
well in fairness Stripey invited me and i was too busy.

I came over here when GW asked for help on the board.

I saw lotsa freinds and i stayed.

I like that you decided to stay, it adds to the mix.:cheers2:

Birdzeye
04-21-2007, 03:13 PM
Is this the "give peace a chance" thread? :coffee:

manu1959
04-21-2007, 03:43 PM
can't we all just get along.........

Sitarro
04-21-2007, 04:04 PM
It's in your User CP, Stripey1. I only use mine for sick motherfuckers, personally.

And I'm still thinking about accepting the "truce" because I've done that before and some rightwinger always feels justified in breaking it...

Hey Baron, glad to see you didn't pull the trigger, after all I was just kidding:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

OCA
04-21-2007, 04:14 PM
I figured that you would be unwilling to sign up so I'm not surprized by your reaction. Flaming is ALL you do...

You're not paying attention.

CockySOB
04-21-2007, 04:40 PM

Will you?

You oughta know I'm down for peaceable co-existance, but a note, same as I made to loose in his... whatever it was... thread I guess.

The high road should be taken first before asking others to do likewise. You Stripey, have earned a more respectful response than loose because you have carried yourself with a bit more dignity. Can't say I agree with all your politics, but you have earned a modicum of my respect.

jimnyc
04-21-2007, 04:41 PM

Will you?

First off - I'd be happy to see everyone agree to try and tone things down, and get back to some more interesting debate. So I think the "truce" is a good idea, regardless of who is perceived to have done more flaming in the past.

It's nice to see some new faces around. I'll bet every one of us is decent people, just with different views on many volatile issues. Still no reason why there can't be strong debates, civil, even with a little sarcasm thrown in to keep it real, and then be able to post in the non-debate sections of the board and discuss other things as well. We all know there will be topics which get heated, and we'll all say things we probably shouldn't, but the better man/woman will proceed accordingly, which is to move on and throw it behind you.

Roomy
04-21-2007, 04:48 PM
First off - I'd be happy to see everyone agree to try and tone things down, and get back to some more interesting debate. So I think the "truce" is a good idea, regardless of who is perceived to have done more flaming in the past.

It's nice to see some new faces around. I'll bet every one of us is decent people, just with different views on many volatile issues. Still no reason why there can't be strong debates, civil, even with a little sarcasm thrown in to keep it real, and then be able to post in the non-debate sections of the board and discuss other things as well. We all know there will be topics which get heated, and we'll all say things we probably shouldn't, but the better man/woman will proceed accordingly, which is to move on and throw it behind you.

That'll be me then?:laugh2:

OCA
04-21-2007, 05:15 PM
I'll bet every one of us is decent people

Libs are not decent people. Liberalism is a cognitive disorder.

Birdzeye
04-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Well, I guess we couldn't expect a unanimously positive response to the idea of a truce! :laugh2:

shattered
04-21-2007, 05:28 PM
Well, I guess we couldn't expect a unanimously positive response to the idea of a truce! :laugh2:

Not likely, since once one side makes a generalized statement about the other size, it'll be over anyway, as was proven in Loose's thread.

Birdzeye
04-21-2007, 05:29 PM
Damned double post!

Mr. P
04-21-2007, 05:49 PM
Civility is possible when, and only when, the "Us against them" mentality can be illuminated and real dialog begun. That goes for all. IMO.

Gunny
04-21-2007, 05:58 PM

Will you?

I will agree to the same thing I always have. I will treat each person, individually regardless political affiliation with same respect and courtesy shown me, and everyone starts out in the default position of respectful and courteous until and unless they prove themselves otherwise.

OCA
04-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Civility is possible when, and only when, the "Us against them" mentality can be illuminated and real dialog begun. That goes for all. IMO.

P i've got no problem with that but I myself won't back off until I see what I perceive to be a massive swing back to civility by the "new left members" here.

Hell I wasn't even posting regularly for awhile, figuring if I didn't have any new "non-flame" information to add to a thread that I would stay out of it, this included lib threads that were generally civil. Now along comes some "invitees of Stripey's and voila shit has went downhill, granted a couple of them are ok but Loose blows any good will those couple have generated out of the water.

IMO Loose is damaging the left on this board, at least I will try to be civil...........once.

Roomy
04-21-2007, 06:17 PM
P i've got no problem with that but I myself won't back off until I see what I perceive to be a massive swing back to civility by the "new left members" here.

Hell I wasn't even posting regularly for awhile, figuring if I didn't have any new "non-flame" information to add to a thread that I would stay out of it, this included lib threads that were generally civil. Now along comes some "invitees of Stripey's and voila shit has went downhill, granted a couple of them are ok but Loose blows any good will those couple have generated out of the water.

IMO Loose is damaging the left on this board, at least I will try to be civil...........once.

:laugh2:

Mr. P
04-21-2007, 06:21 PM

I understand your position and agree. Honestly, I don't think Loose has any intention of being civil.. we'll see, but I ain't holden my breath.

OCA
04-21-2007, 08:46 PM
I understand your position and agree. Honestly, I don't think Loose has any intention of being civil.. we'll see, but I ain't holden my breath.

Yeah, don't hold your breath, would be a waste as i've got better than even odds that Loose doesn't see Monday as a member here.

5stringJeff
04-21-2007, 08:49 PM
I will agree to the same thing I always have. I will treat each person, individually regardless political affiliation with same respect and courtesy shown me, and everyone starts out in the default position of respectful and courteous until and unless they prove themselves otherwise.

Ditto.

Roomy
04-21-2007, 08:52 PM
Yeah, don't hold your breath, would be a waste as i've got better than even odds that Loose doesn't see Monday as a member here.

Shut the fuck up, if that is so this board goes down the pan on credibility.

Fucking idiot, it's more likely you get the fucking heave ho you fucking stupid liability.

OCA
04-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Fucking idiot, it's more likely you get the fucking heave ho you fucking stupid liability.

BET THE HOUSE ON THAT! LOL!:laugh2:

LiberalNation
04-21-2007, 08:55 PM
That ain't gona happen, this boards never had much credibility anyway so wont matter.

Roomy
04-21-2007, 09:00 PM
That ain't gona happen, this boards never had much credibility anyway so wont matter.

Jimmy is bigger and better than that fucking idiot.:laugh2:

LiberalNation
04-21-2007, 09:02 PM
He seems like an okay guy. Never really talked or delt with him tho, just dmp. Mntbiker seems pretty cool too but only delt with him once.

OCA
04-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Jimmy is bigger and better than that fucking idiot.:laugh2:

Let me quote my instructions upon leaving the mod world for regular membership:

"I will never ban you":laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

"you'll be much happier when you can say whatever comes to your mind without fear of how it will reflect on your position as a staff member":laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Roomy
04-21-2007, 09:12 PM

"I will never ban you":laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

"you'll be much happier when you can say whatever comes to your mind without fear of how it will reflect on your position as a staff member":laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

:laugh2: you really are a laughing idiot:laugh2:

Good for you dafty:laugh2:

Baron Von Esslingen
04-22-2007, 12:06 AM

Once? Or until you are "justified" to break the truce?

manu1959
04-22-2007, 12:13 AM
Once? Or until you are "justified" to break the truce?

sorry but there is no truce.....only your own honour....i repsect you...

loosecannon
04-22-2007, 12:13 AM

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

yup

Pale Rider
04-22-2007, 04:13 AM

This is what I've said all along as well. "I give what I get". No truce. You come off to me like an asshole, you WILL get asshole back. It's your decision. Live by your word.

TheStripey1
04-23-2007, 01:53 PM

and Angel...

TheStripey1
04-23-2007, 01:55 PM

I thought that feature was only for PMs... Are you saying that it skips over them on the boards as well?

hmmmmm...

TheStripey1
04-23-2007, 01:56 PM
yes both sides do have their wind up artists

laffs... yep...

TheStripey1
04-23-2007, 01:59 PM
I like that you decided to stay, it adds to the mix.:cheers2:

It's the challenge that causes us to stay, Roomy... cuz there's none in preaching to the choir... in fact, I find most left winger sites to be boring for that very reason...

:dance:

TheStripey1
04-23-2007, 01:59 PM
Is this the "give peace a chance" thread? :coffee:

yes... color me a dreamer... but I'm not the only one...

TheStripey1
04-23-2007, 02:01 PM
can't we all just get along.........

yes... it works on other boards... I see no reason at all why it can't work here, too.

TheStripey1
04-23-2007, 02:08 PM
You oughta know I'm down for peaceable co-existance, but a note, same as I made to loose in his... whatever it was... thread I guess.

The high road should be taken first before asking others to do likewise. You Stripey, have earned a more respectful response than loose because you have carried yourself with a bit more dignity. Can't say I agree with all your politics, but you have earned a modicum of my respect.

Purrsonally, CSOB, I don't have a clue what has gotten into me... cuz I've never been a peacemaker before... I usually rend and tear, slash and gnash the righties I meet on these boards but a funny thing always happens...

They're still there in the morning and nothing ever changes... so... I'm on a couple boards now that have strict rules against insults , attacks and flaming and you know what? they're fun to be on... we have the same spirited discussions without all the vitriol.

I beieve it CAN happen here as well... all it takes is for both of our sides to just chill out... starting with me...

extends paw to CSOB...

TheStripey1
04-23-2007, 02:09 PM

:clap:

extends paw...

TheStripey1
04-23-2007, 02:11 PM

Nope... cuz there will always be neanderthals... in fact, some of them are even getting their own sitcom soon... on ABC, no less...

laffs...

TheStripey1
04-23-2007, 02:13 PM
Not likely, since once one side makes a generalized statement about the other size, it'll be over anyway, as was proven in Loose's thread.

generalized statements about a group is not the same as a personal attack, in my opinion... A personal attack is just that... an attack ON the poster...

TheStripey1
04-23-2007, 02:14 PM

good point.

TheStripey1
04-23-2007, 02:16 PM

That works for me, gunny and IMO, it's a damn good start... extends paw...

TheStripey1
04-23-2007, 02:18 PM

That's a start... extends paw...

TheStripey1
04-23-2007, 02:21 PM
This is what I've said all along as well. "I give what I get". No truce. You come off to me like an asshole, you WILL get asshole back. It's your decision. Live by your word.

I am... how about you?

extends paw...

TheStripey1
04-23-2007, 02:26 PM
I responded to all the posts, one after the other because... I took off Saturday afternoon, evening and night and then all of Sunday as well... cuzzzzzzz of earth day annnnnd

Yesterday, Mrs Stripey and I drove down to the San Jouquin Valley National Cemetary to see where they planted my father's ashes.

But I'm back now...

:cheers2:

CockySOB
04-23-2007, 06:06 PM
generalized statements about a group is not the same as a personal attack, in my opinion... A personal attack is just that... an attack ON the poster...

I know what you mean, but there's also the fact that using such generalizations inherently puts people on the defensive, in large part because of the diametric extremes which exist in the political world. A slur is a slur, no matter whether made against the individual, or against the group.

And paw accepted, considering that I never really saw you as being a problem.

Baron Von Esslingen
04-24-2007, 01:20 AM
I thought that feature was only for PMs... Are you saying that it skips over them on the boards as well?

hmmmmm...

Yep. It does. Sick motherfuckers can rant and rave now spewing their sick shit on everyone else but I get a pass.

typomaniac
04-24-2007, 12:41 PM
From what I've seen, I really do think that the partisan right is way worse than the partisan left when it comes to whining and screaming about the other side not obeying "the rules." Sadly, they're also worse about disregarding the rules when policing their own behavior - if they police it at all.

TheStripey1
04-24-2007, 04:48 PM

For instance... If I were to say to this poster, You're a moron... that would be a personal attack or an insult... but if I said that statement is moronic and then went on to explain why, it would be neither...

Same thing with groups... I can lump everyone into one broad group and insult them all... that's neither an attack or an insult to a specific person...

my nickle... (that's two cents adjusted for inflation)

TheStripey1
04-24-2007, 04:51 PM
I know what you mean, but there's also the fact that using such generalizations inherently puts people on the defensive, in large part because of the diametric extremes which exist in the political world. A slur is a slur, no matter whether made against the individual, or against the group.

And paw accepted, considering that I never really saw you as being a problem.

I may be a dreamer CSOB, but I'm not a foolish one... I just don't see us stopping group generalizations... my side or yours... but... if we can keep our personal interactions clean of dirty tricks, it will be good for everyone...

TheStripey1
04-24-2007, 04:53 PM
Yep. It does. Sick [deleted] can rant and rave now spewing their sick shit on everyone else but I get a pass.

really? wow... I might have to try that... laffs...

TheStripey1
04-24-2007, 04:58 PM
From what I've seen, I really do think that the partisan right is way worse than the partisan left when it comes to whining and screaming about the other side not obeying "the rules." Sadly, they're also worse about disregarding the rules when policing their own behavior - if they police it at all.

I could easily respond that this is true typo, but, I have been on lefty boards that are just as bad. They pick on righty posters and have partisan mods that back them up. And I have to admit... it USED to be fun...

But now, I purrfurr to use facts and sound logic to defeat my opposition than resorting to school yard taunts that are nothing more than empty bravado and words...

lily
04-24-2007, 05:35 PM

So true. Seems some can't stand to read another point of view. It seems to shatter their illusion.

lily
04-24-2007, 05:37 PM
I could easily respond that this is true typo, but, I have been on lefty boards that are just as bad. They pick on righty posters and have partisan mods that back them up. And I have to admit... it USED to be fun...

But now, I purrfurr to use facts and sound logic to defeat my opposition than resorting to school yard taunts that are nothing more than empty bravado and words...

Also true

manu1959
04-24-2007, 05:40 PM
For instance... If I were to say to this poster, You're a moron... that would be a personal attack or an insult... but if I said that statement is moronic and then went on to explain why, it would be neither...

Same thing with groups... I can lump everyone into one broad group and insult them all... that's neither an attack or an insult to a specific person...

my nickle... (that's two cents adjusted for inflation)

my question would be why do you feel the need to do either?

TheStripey1
04-25-2007, 08:32 PM
So true. Seems some can't stand to read another point of view. It seems to shatter their illusion.

Or at least rain on their delusions...

laffs...

In the past and on boards far far away, I have been known to learn a few things from my opposition... when they bothered to link their sources, that is...

TheStripey1
04-25-2007, 08:40 PM
my question would be why do you feel the need to do either?

I could ask the same of you... or anyone here... why do you insult and attack the poster instead of responding TO their arguements? All it does is cause animosity... And it serves no purpose...

Like I said, I used to participate on lefty forums where righties would be treated much the same as y'all treat lefties here... Want the links so you can see how it feels?

It was fun for a while but... it got old and frankly, I came to the realization that it was boring and non-productive...

so I left...

lily
04-25-2007, 09:04 PM
Or at least rain on their delusions...

laffs...

In the past and on boards far far away, I have been known to learn a few things from my opposition... when they bothered to link their sources, that is...

I have to admit, I've learned from a few here......but then if I don't learn something from a forum, then why waste my time?

manu1959
04-25-2007, 09:17 PM
I could ask the same of you... or anyone here... why do you insult and attack the poster instead of responding TO their arguements? All it does is cause animosity... And it serves no purpose...

Like I said, I used to participate on lefty forums where righties would be treated much the same as y'all treat lefties here... Want the links so you can see how it feels?

It was fun for a while but... it got old and frankly, I came to the realization that it was boring and non-productive...

so I left...

ask of me anything you like...

i don't claim high moral or ethical ground...i don't claim to be smart....i don't ask that you believe me....i ask nothing of you....as for what purpose my posting serves.....it serves my whim...they are mine to do with as i see fit

i treat everyone as i see fit....some of you i am polite to ....some of you not some of you don't exist....you are mine to react to .... i am simply and usually just asking questions....

i am glad that you belive you have reached a higher plane where you are comfortable with your condesending posting style...

CockySOB
04-25-2007, 09:21 PM
I have to admit, I've learned from a few here......but then if I don't learn something from a forum, then why waste my time?

But if you learned something, then it wasn't a waste, was it?

lily
04-25-2007, 09:25 PM
But if you learned something, then it wasn't a waste, was it?

Nope! As I said,if I didn't learn something new here, I wouldn't stick around and if I didn't learn something new every day, then it would be a shame.

TheStripey1
04-26-2007, 03:50 PM

welllllllllllll... there is the adversarial interactions...

lily
04-26-2007, 04:57 PM
Well....there's that too!

CockySOB
04-26-2007, 07:29 PM
welllllllllllll... there is the adversarial interactions...

Sometimes it's just fun to lurk and watch the insanity, no?

lily
04-27-2007, 12:24 AM
Yep!