PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Dance

SassyLady
01-22-2010, 01:23 PM
I am trying to get my stepson and his fiance to do something like this at their wedding in August:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-94JhLEiN0

After all, he hiked to the top of Half Dome with her to propose - she was totally surprised!!!

Looks like so much fun!!!

Mr. P
01-22-2010, 03:22 PM
I am trying to get my stepson and his fiance to do something like this at their wedding in August:

After all, he hiked to the top of Half Dome with her to propose - she was totally surprised!!!

I could go for something like this at the reception.

But the wedding ceremony itself is NOT an entertainment event.

Guess I'm just a traditional sort of guy when it comes to lifelong commitment.

SassyLady
01-22-2010, 03:26 PM
I could go for something like this at the reception.

But the wedding ceremony itself is NOT an entertainment event.

Guess I'm just a traditional sort of guy.

Tell me about it - my daughter had the traditional Catholic wedding with 500 guests.........my stepson was one of the readers and he said he wanted to something totally opposite!! I'm not even sure I can get him and his fiance to do a church wedding - they want something totally non-traditional.

Her mother is pretty upset that her daughter doesn't want the traditional wedding - she has three daughters and this is the first one to get married.

They are both 28, almost 29 and never been married and all their friends have been married and I think they want something different than the rest.

He took her on a hike one day last year - to the top of Half Dome, with a few friends. He's afraid of heights but when he finally got to the top he got down on his knee and proposed to her. Way cool!!!

glockmail
01-22-2010, 03:36 PM
I didn't like it, sorry. My wife's grandfather brought her down the isle with Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring playing and I'll never forget that.

FwWL8Y-qsJg

glockmail
01-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Here's another version, Celtic, more contemporary and just incredible.

iPeVIuRjUi4

Mr. P
01-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Tell me about it - my daughter had the traditional Catholic wedding with 500 guests.........my stepson was one of the readers and he said he wanted to something totally opposite!! I'm not even sure I can get him and his fiance to do a church wedding - they want something totally non-traditional.

Her mother is pretty upset that her daughter doesn't want the traditional wedding - she has three daughters and this is the first one to get married.

They are both 28, almost 29 and never been married and all their friends have been married and I think they want something different than the rest.

He took her on a hike one day last year - to the top of Half Dome, with a few friends. He's afraid of heights but when he finally got to the top he got down on his knee and proposed to her. Way cool!!!

But a "traditional Catholic wedding" does not require 500 guests.

SassyLady
01-22-2010, 05:36 PM
But a "traditional Catholic wedding" does not require 500 guests.

OK - let me put it this way -- every Catholic wedding I've ever been to had over 300 guests..........but of course, I've only been to 4 in my life!!! So, perhaps I mispoke with the words "traditional Catholic wedding". Sorry if I offended you.

Kathianne
01-22-2010, 05:44 PM

I liked it, though not sure it wasn't a put on.

Did you see this one?

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zbr2ao86ww0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zbr2ao86ww0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

gabosaurus
01-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Choreographed dances are such are too much trouble.
My husband and I both chose a song to be played at our wedding ceremony. My husband chose "Your Song" by Elton John. I choose "If I Should Fall Behind" by Bruce Springsteen. A lady from our former church in Oakland also sang a wonderful spiritual number.
Our first dance was "Leap of Faith" by Bruce Springsteen. The lyrics are awesome.

Our wedding ceremony was simple. Just the music and vows. About 20 minutes or so.

SassyLady
01-22-2010, 05:56 PM
I liked it, though not sure it wasn't a put on.

Did you see this one?

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zbr2ao86ww0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zbr2ao86ww0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Yes - didn't like it as much. I guess it went viral and then an episode of The Office recreated the video ...... I don't know anything about the other one.

SassyLady
01-22-2010, 06:00 PM
More info from Wiki:

Jill told Good Morning America "I grew up dancing and I danced in college. It was something I always wanted to do. I wanted to dance in on the wedding. And Kevin jumped in on board."

The couple appeared on The Today Show on July 25, 2009 to talk about the video. he entire wedding party re-created the wedding entrance dance on stage live on the same day as Kevin Heinz's original YouTube clip became a worldwide sensation with over 6.6 million hits, over 36,000 top ratings and overwhelmingly positive comments by Sunday, July 26, 2009. The video has been viewed over 39 million times.

In Australia, the remaining contestants plus guests recreated the wedding dance on Dancing with the Stars.

The wedding dance was recreated in the "Niagara" episode of U.S. TV series The Office. All main characters, except the bride and groom themselves, participated in the dance down the aisle.

In The Netherlands the JK Wedding Dance was performed by two retired Dutch TV-stars in a competition called 'Let's Dance' to raise money for a charity supporting research on children's cancer

Abbey Marie
01-22-2010, 06:25 PM
I can appreciate the fun aspect, but I have long held the opinion that the bigger the "show", the shorter the marriage.

Kathianne
01-22-2010, 06:42 PM
I can appreciate the fun aspect, but I have long held the opinion that the bigger the "show", the shorter the marriage.

6 months is quite short. ;)

I have to go with Mr. P, this may have been a good idea at the reception, but the wedding should have had the solemnity factor that is implied. I'm surprised that the church went along with it. Seemed to be Episcopal or Lutheran?

SassyLady
01-22-2010, 07:02 PM
6 months is quite short. ;)

I have to go with Mr. P, this may have been a good idea at the reception, but the wedding should have had the solemnity factor that is implied. I'm surprised that the church went along with it. Seemed to be Episcopal or Lutheran?

Wow........I had no idea that I was so non-traditional.

I loved it and have no idea what type of church it was.

Who knows - the church might have been a new age church that allows the personality of the individuals to dominate their own wedding ceremony instead of the dictates of the church.

SassyLady
01-22-2010, 07:10 PM

I don't know Abbey ..... are you saying someone running down to the clerk's office, or who elopes, has a better chance at a lasting marriage than someone like my daughter (who had a very large wedding)?

Or that a very solemn, quiet ceremony will guarantee a longer marriage than those of people who have fun built into the ceremony?

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

Abbey Marie
01-22-2010, 07:23 PM
I don't know Abbey ..... are you saying someone running down to the clerk's office, or who elopes, has a better chance at a lasting marriage than someone like my daughter (who had a very large wedding)?

Or that a very solemn, quiet ceremony will guarantee a longer marriage than those of people who have fun built into the ceremony?

No scientific data here, just my own opinion. :)

When I used the word show, I was not referring to the size of the wedding or the level of fun. I don't think those are bad things. I was referring to a more intangible thing- the "showiness" of it all. Let me put it this way: I have found that people who spend lots of money trying to impress their guests, are often people that care more about the wedding than the marriage. In my circle of friends and acquaintances it has pretty much borne out that way.

I do think that a church should be first and foremost a place of worship. Dancing like David did in praise of God would be cool.

Kathianne
01-22-2010, 07:33 PM

Obviously I'm not Abbey, (though there were times I wish I were). I think that it's important to keep the vows and the traditions leading up to them, as serious as they should be taken. Doesn't matter if religious, but the step in itself is important, which I guess is what the gays are arguing?

After that, party on!

Abbey Marie
01-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Obviously I'm not Abbey, (though there were times I wish I were). I think that it's important to keep the vows and the traditions leading up to them, as serious as they should be taken. Doesn't matter if religious, but the step in itself is important, which I guess is what the gays are arguing?

After that, party on!

You are such a nice person, Kath! Rep when I can.

Mr. P
01-22-2010, 07:46 PM
OK - let me put it this way -- every Catholic wedding I've ever been to had over 300 guests..........but of course, I've only been to 4 in my life!!! So, perhaps I mispoke with the words "traditional Catholic wedding". Sorry if I offended you.

You didn't offend me.

SassyLady
01-22-2010, 08:07 PM
No scientific data here, just my own opinion. :)

When I used the word show, I was not referring to the size of the wedding or the level of fun. I don't think those are bad things. I was referring to a more intangible thing- the "showiness" of it all. Let me put it this way: I have found that people who spend lots of money trying to impress their guests, are often people that care more about the wedding than the marriage. In my circle of friends and acquaintances it has pretty much borne out that way.

I do think that a church should be first and foremost a place of worship. Dancing like David did in praise of God would be cool.

OK, got it!!! I am not a person who worships in church so that's probably why it didn't matter to me.

I have to agree with you on the "more money spent" thing. My daughter wanted to get married on the beach, barefoot, at sunset with just the immediate family. However, his family threw a fit and she ended up with the whole shebang!!! Her side of the family consisted of less than 50 people - his made up the rest of the 500.

SassyLady
01-22-2010, 08:10 PM
You didn't offend me.

Good - because there are definitely people here that I don't mind offending, but there are those that I might offend inadvertently and that bothers me more than anything.

Thanks for not letting me stew in guilt any more than necessary Mr. P. :beer:

SassyLady
01-22-2010, 08:14 PM

After that, party on!

My husband and I renewed our vows on our 10th anniversary (married for 16 now) and I think it meant more to me than the original ones........because we had been together for ten years ........we knew what it was like and to stand there and look into each other's eyes and make that commitment all over again is awesome. And, it was on the beach in Jamaica at sunset and yes I was barefoot...............he, on the other hand was in full military mess dress. We had a great time!!

Kathianne
01-22-2010, 08:45 PM
My husband and I renewed our vows on our 10th anniversary (married for 16 now) and I think it meant more to me than the original ones........because we had been together for ten years ........we knew what it was like and to stand there and look into each other's eyes and make that commitment all over again is awesome. And, it was on the beach in Jamaica at sunset and yes I was barefoot...............he, on the other hand was in full military mess dress. We had a great time!!

So cool! Congratulations, more than a few years late!

Kathianne
01-22-2010, 08:47 PM
You are such a nice person, Kath! Rep when I can.

Thank you. However I think I was piggybacking here, on you? LOL!