PDA

View Full Version : Focus on the Family buys costly 30-second Superbowl Ad.

-Cp
01-22-2010, 04:02 PM
WHAT A HUGE WASTE OF MONEY !! Holy Crap!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/22/anti-abortion-super-bowl-advert

The advertisement will feature Tim Tebow, former champion quarterback for the University of Florida football team, who painted Bible quotations under his eyes during games. Focus on the Family and CBS television, the network broadcasting the game, did not disclose the cost of the advert, but media analysts say the cost of a 30-second spot will run between $2.5m and $2.8m.

Noir
01-22-2010, 04:04 PM
It'll be interesting to see what the pro-choicers do in response,

Abbey Marie
01-22-2010, 04:56 PM
Why is it a waste of money?

-Cp
01-22-2010, 06:25 PM
Why is it a waste of money?

It's a waste of money on a colossal scale...

Do you really think that:

1. This ad will affect anyone?
2. That the money couldn't have been better spent actually HELPING PEOPLE?
3. Folks are losing their jobs, homes and have nothing to eat yet these tools at Focus can blow $2.5 Million for 30-seconds of fame...

Abbey Marie
01-22-2010, 06:29 PM

Do you really think that:

1. This ad will affect anyone?
Yes. Do you think that corporations spend millions advertising their products because the ads don't affect a lot of people?

2. That the money couldn't have been better spent actually HELPING PEOPLE?
If even one person decides not to abort after seeing this ad, then it has helped an incalculable amount already.

3. Folks are losing their jobs, homes and have nothing to eat yet these tools at Focus can blow $2.5 Million for 30-seconds of fame...
You see it as wanting fame, I see it as believing deeply in a cause. How are we to know their motives?

:salute:

01-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Seems to work for the Beer commercials.

PostmodernProphet
01-22-2010, 10:02 PM

if people would stop killing their children we could move on to the next problem....

-Cp
01-23-2010, 02:11 AM
if people would stop killing their children we could move on to the next problem....

But.... they won't...

gabosaurus
01-24-2010, 12:08 AM
Do these people really believe that the target audience of the Super Bowl (primarily male I would think) will notice a 30-second anti-abortion commercial?
And I agree it is a terrific waste of money. The girls who are watching will be thinking "whoa, Tebow is hot! I want his babies!"
Couldn't this money be helping a lot of people?

DragonStryk72
01-24-2010, 07:57 AM
Yeah, I don't think the Super Bowl is the place for it. No one is watching the Super Bowl for the informative commercials, just the funny ones. Everything things else is a hail of beer, and whatever oddments they've brought together for their super bowl party.

They'd have done better for themselves to have gone to abortion clinics and promoted adoption, hell take some of those people who wants a baby with them. It would be more targetted, less costly, and overall, would do more good than this ad will do

Abbey Marie
01-24-2010, 04:08 PM
Do these people really believe that the target audience of the Super Bowl (primarily male I would think) will notice a 30-second anti-abortion commercial?
And I agree it is a terrific waste of money. The girls who are watching will be thinking "whoa, Tebow is hot! I want his babies!"
Couldn't this money be helping a lot of people?

I don't have stats, but every Super Bowl party I ever went to or held, had about as many females as males attending. It's not a sporting event as much as a cultural event. Also, I know that tons of women do like football.

HogTrash
01-24-2010, 05:20 PM

If it saves the life of even one baby it will be well worth the money.

darin
01-24-2010, 08:50 PM
The problem is - there's no way to gauge return on investment.

DragonStryk72
01-25-2010, 05:19 AM

Okay, we're not arguing that the message is wrong, just that the money could have been used to save ten times as many.

Abbey Marie
01-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Okay, we're not arguing that the message is wrong, just that the money could have been used to save ten times as many.

As dmp implied above, you can't possibly know that.

darin
01-25-2010, 05:36 PM
Righto Abster. That money spent elsewhere would provide measurable results; meals served. Illness cured. Hearts counselled.

It's noble to preach to people about their destructive behaviour, but the more I study Christ, the more I feel his ministry was/is/should be centered upon loving people first and junk.

PostmodernProphet
01-25-2010, 06:13 PM
there may be a million people watching that were born after Roe v Wade who have given no thought to the consequences of abortion that stop and say...."shit, an abortion kills someone! I never thought of that"..........

darin
01-25-2010, 06:14 PM
Then again, maybe that won't happen even once.

-Cp
01-26-2010, 04:33 AM
As dmp implied above, you can't possibly know that.

We can know that - just think how for 2.5Million would to to feeding those in Haiti right now.... as an example.....

HogTrash
01-26-2010, 04:47 AM
We can know that - just think how for 2.5Million would to to feeding those in Haiti right now.... as an example.....You seem to have a problem prioritizing.

I wouldn't trade the life of one American baby to save every Haitian in the world.

Noir
01-26-2010, 05:21 AM
You seem to have a problem prioritizing.

I wouldn't trade the life of one American baby to save every Haitian in the world.

I dispair.

Now come on, quote me and spout crap about how I'm programed to think that blah blah blah. But at the end of the day you must know that what you are typing in vulgar, if not them you've got some serious issues.

HogTrash
01-26-2010, 05:25 AM
I dispair.

Now come on, quote me and spout crap about how I'm programed to think that blah blah blah. But at the end of the day you must know that what you are typing in vulgar, if not them you've got some serious issues.I quoted -Cp, not you Noir.

Abbey Marie
01-26-2010, 11:06 AM
We can know that - just think how for 2.5Million would to to feeding those in Haiti right now.... as an example.....

It is evident that you do not have to change people's minds to get then to support aid to Haiti. I think we are already at a billion dollars. Polls show, however, that abortion is supported by almost 50% of this country. If support for Haiti was opposed by 50% of the country, an ad might be the way to go.

And no one has answered my earlier point: if ads did not work, why do corporations spend millions running them in front of us? Do you really think that they spend like that without solid market research telling them it will be effective? That is has been effective? How can anyone seriously doubt that advertising works?

Noir
01-26-2010, 11:35 AM
I quoted -Cp, not you Noir.

You made comments in a public forum, I was merely commenting on them.

crin63
01-26-2010, 11:45 AM
I don't personally support para-church organizations like this who siphon money off of local churches that could put it to better use.

However since they have the money and their focus is the family, what better way to support the family than to try and save the lives of families most vulnerable persons.

If it even changes the mindset of a few people it is worth their money IMO. The trend away from abortion needs to start somewhere. Why not there? Why not then? If it only causes some people to take pause and reflect that could be beneficial to sparing the life of a child.

Noir
01-26-2010, 12:07 PM
And no one has answered my earlier point: if ads did not work, why do corporations spend millions running them in front of us? Do you really think that they spend like that without solid market research telling them it will be effective? That is has been effective? How can anyone seriously doubt that advertising works?

I have no doubt that advertising works, however, there is a big difference in seeing and advert suggesting you buy a bottle of pepsi, and an advert saying you should give birth to an unwanted child, much as i may agree with the message i don't personally think thats the best way to go about it.

Obviously they will of done their homework and judged this to be worth it, and i also suspect they will be getting plenty of 'free' advertising as news networks will be talking about it, but it still looks quite excessive for a 30 second slot.

Abbey Marie
01-26-2010, 01:08 PM
I have no doubt that advertising works, however, there is a big difference in seeing and advert suggesting you buy a bottle of pepsi, and an advert saying you should give birth to an unwanted child, much as i may agree with the message i don't personally think thats the best way to go about it.

Obviously they will of done their homework and judged this to be worth it, and i also suspect they will be getting plenty of 'free' advertising as news networks will be talking about it, but it still looks quite excessive for a 30 second slot.

Thanks for answering, Noir.

I also question why no one is complaining that Anheuser-Busch, for example, isn't spending their ad money on the poor instead. Why Focus on the Family? They are spending on what they believe in, as are all of the other corporations and groups out there. Except in FOF's case, their ads show a belief in life, instead of profits. I have to say, I am so tired of people singling out Christian organizations for criticism.

How do you (all) feel about those organizations (some Christian, some not) that use TV ads to ask us to help feed and clothe children in 3rd world nations? There's an example of a group that is doing what you want (helping the poor), though indirectly, though advertising. Is that also a colossal waste of money? Would that ad money be better spent just by going to that country and buying the kids food?

The fact is, they know that they can reach tons more people through advertising, and thereby raise even more money, or they wouldn't do it. I contend that there is no difference between these two situations, though I would guess that because one is about food, and the other about abortion, I will hear people say,. "Oh, but that's different".

-Cp
01-26-2010, 02:51 PM
It is evident that you do not have to change people's minds to get then to support aid to Haiti. I think we are already at a billion dollars. Polls show, however, that abortion is supported by almost 50% of this country. If support for Haiti was opposed by 50% of the country, an ad might be the way to go.

The ads you speak of are trying to get us to buy products not change our philosophies on stuff.. big diff..

HogTrash
01-26-2010, 03:08 PM

Obviously they will of done their homework and judged this to be worth it, and i also suspect they will be getting plenty of 'free' advertising as news networks will be talking about it, but it still looks quite excessive for a 30 second slot.No child is unwanted...There are millions of families who would love and care for these babies if their birth mothers would only spare their lives.

I believe many aborters believe the guilt of giving a baby away to someone else who will love and cherish it is worse than the guilt of killing it.

DragonStryk72
01-26-2010, 03:14 PM

right, except for the point that Corporations know when to throw up an ad, they don't put them where they aren't really going to do an ad. Why do you think they put up so many beer ads during the super bowl? You can pay for an entire ad campaign for what they pay for a single 30-second slot during the super bowl, which again, has a good message, but should have been placed elsewhere to go more after the target.

crin63
01-26-2010, 03:18 PM
No child is unwanted...There are millions of families who would love and care for these babies if their birth mothers would only spare their lives.

I believe many aborters believe the guilt of giving a baby away to someone else who will love and cherish it is worse than the guilt of killing it.

Not debating your point, just making another observation.

There's also allot of people who will not adopt because there is too much government involvement. I have considered adopting another child now that mine are pretty much grown but because of way too much government involvement I won't. If I cant give them swats and raise them as I see fit then I wont do it.

Little-Acorn
01-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Is it any wonder that the National Planners, Advertising Managers, and CEO of "Focus on the Family" are so incompetent?

Clearly, all the best Planners, Managers, and CEOs are otherwise occupied, typing out complaints and insults on BBSs and Forums!

:poke: :poke: :poke:

HogTrash
01-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Not debating your point, just making another observation.

There's also allot of people who will not adopt because there is too much government involvement. I have considered adopting another child now that mine are pretty much grown but because of way too much government involvement I won't. If I cant give them swats and raise them as I see fit then I wont do it.LOL!...I don't blame you a bit.

Besides, it's time to take a break. :thumb:

gabosaurus
01-26-2010, 04:11 PM
crin, if you want to have more control over the adoption process, you need to go through a private adoption group. That is what my husband and I did.
Mind you, the background check is pretty hellacious, and they do spot checks of your family. But if you are of good character and have solid finances, you don't have to deal with the government meddling.
Just be ready to fork over truckloads of money to the lawyers.

As for the Focus On Family ad, do you think CBS would allow a 30-second spot to Planned Parenthood? Would you be totally in favor of that as well?

Abbey Marie
01-26-2010, 07:28 PM
The ads you speak of are trying to get us to buy products not change our philosophies on stuff.. big diff..

I don't see a problem with that. It's still a free country where we can choose to advertise our philosophies, right? Why is that in any way worse than trying to sell us stuff anyway?

But, more to the point, your complaint wasn't that it is a philosophical ad. It was that they are wasting "colossal" amounts of money.

Abbey Marie
01-26-2010, 07:41 PM
right, except for the point that Corporations know when to throw up an ad, they don't put them where they aren't really going to do an ad. Why do you think they put up so many beer ads during the super bowl? You can pay for an entire ad campaign for what they pay for a single 30-second slot during the super bowl, which again, has a good message, but should have been placed elsewhere to go more after the target.

How can you know that the surprise value of such an ad during the Super Bowl wouldn't make it much more effective than, say, the umpteenth beer ad? We can debate this all day long, but the fact is, no one here is privy to FOF's research on the matter. And unless the people who actually contribute to their coffers are complaining, it's not even really our business. Are we to become more like the Communists, telling corporations how they can spend or not spend their money?

Finally, look at all the buzz being generated before the ad even airs. I'd say they will have quite a captive audience.

Noir
01-26-2010, 08:35 PM
No child is unwanted...There are millions of families who would love and care for these babies if their birth mothers would only spare their lives.

Are you able to make a freedom of information request, or by another method find out how many children are currently in state care?

PostmodernProphet
01-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Are you able to make a freedom of information request, or by another method find out how many children are currently in state care?

there are very few children in state care that are eligible for adoption.....the biggest problem faced by people who want to adopt is the long waiting lists.....we waited five years for our first, another four years for our second.....

children still in foster care are children who's parental rights have not been voluntarily released by the parents or severed by the courts.....or who have gotten too old before the state severed parental rights.....it's tough to find adoptive parents for twelve year olds who have been victims of abuse their entire lives......

HogTrash
01-26-2010, 09:53 PM
Are you able to make a freedom of information request, or by another method find out how many children are currently in state care?Even though I was referring to aborted babies I will none the less concede that what you say is very true and it sickens me that Americans go outside the US and adopt foreign children instead of American children.

It is also a disgrace that the system makes it so hard to adopt these American children who are desperately in need of a home, family and love.

gabosaurus
01-27-2010, 01:45 AM
It is also a disgrace that the system makes it so hard to adopt these American children who are desperately in need of a home, family and love.

They do it so people of low character like yourself don't end up with kids.

darin
01-27-2010, 05:32 AM
The more I look into that Ad, the more I think it might not be a bad thing - but I'm biased...I CARE about that sorta stuff.

HogTrash
01-27-2010, 06:13 AM
They do it so people of low character like yourself don't end up with kids.Exactly who is of low character is a matter of opinion Gab.

Absolutely no one can be of lower character than a liberal.

After all, who;

Places trees and animals above people?

Legitamizes sick perversions?

Promotes a godless society?

Advocates killing babies?

Etc-etc-etc?...Get the point?

gabosaurus
01-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Exactly who is of low character is a matter of opinion Gab.

I will say one thing. You are perhaps the only member of this board who lives up to his screen name. I feel pity for your breed sow and all your little piglets.

PostmodernProphet
01-29-2010, 07:25 PM
You are perhaps the only member of this board who lives up to his screen name.

I feel slighted.....

SassyLady
01-30-2010, 10:31 PM
me too........I work really hard to be a princess!!!!

Agnapostate
01-30-2010, 11:58 PM

Actually, it won't, considering that there could probably be a substantially higher number of lives saved with the same amount donated to Oxfam or UNICEF.

gabosaurus
01-31-2010, 12:09 AM
Funny this is, CBS accepted the ad from Focus On Family, but rejected an ad from a gay dating agency.

SassyLady
01-31-2010, 05:08 AM
Funny this is, CBS accepted the ad from Focus On Family, but rejected an ad from a gay dating agency.

Why is it funny?

Noir
01-31-2010, 05:16 AM
Exactly who is of low character is a matter of opinion Gab.

Absolutely no one can be of lower character than a liberal.

After all, who;

[I]Places trees and animals above people?

You'd gave to be pretty extreme to put trees and animals above humans. Personally I would say it is of low characture to needlessly kill them, but that obviously makes me a bad person =/

Legitamizes sick perversions?

I hope you have never legitamized a sick perversion, By for example convincing a lady that ya's should indulge yourselves in oral sex.

Promotes a godless society?

Well personally i'd just rather see the 1st be upheld and religion to be kept out of the class room. But if someone wants to go on to study it in their own time that's their choice. If removing the childhood indoctrination of religion removes God from society then so be it.

Advocates killing babies?

From this I would assume you are against all abortions, no matter there details?

jimnyc
01-31-2010, 06:21 AM
-Cp claims it's a waste of money paying for this ad. But it's because of people like him, and the retarded media, that it's getting more exposure than $50 million dollars could pay for! It is one of the most searched for items on Google in the past 30 days, and a current search of "Tim Tebow Super Bowl ad" returns over 28 million results!

Controversial or not, it's reaching an audience of epic proportions, and will be aired to millions upon millions throughout the entire world during the big game.

I agree with Abbey when she stated that if it saves just one child it will be worth it. Considering it will be be viewed by over 100 million at a minimum during the SB, has been the talk of much more than that already on the Internet, and the replays of SB ads on the Internet generally get played millions of times for the weeks after the big game - I think the chances of it saving just one child is pretty darn good.

So thanks to the complainers like the OP, a life has likely been saved!! :clap:

Abbey Marie
01-31-2010, 12:51 PM
-Cp claims it's a waste of money paying for this ad. But it's because of people like him, and the retarded media, that it's getting more exposure than $50 million dollars could pay for! It is one of the most searched for items on Google in the past 30 days, and a current search of "Tim Tebow Super Bowl ad" returns over 28 million results!

Controversial or not, it's reaching an audience of epic proportions, and will be aired to millions upon millions throughout the entire world during the big game.

I agree with Abbey when she stated that if it saves just one child it will be worth it. Considering it will be be viewed by over 100 million at a minimum during the SB, has been the talk of much more than that already on the Internet, and the replays of SB ads on the Internet generally get played millions of times for the weeks after the big game - I think the chances of it saving just one child is pretty darn good.

So thanks to the complainers like the OP, a life has likely been saved!! :clap:

All good points, Jim. In addition, someone I know just joined a FB group trying to get CBS to not air the ad. Again, this is a very liberal person who thinks they are the ultimate in 1st amendment rights. :rolleyes:

gabosaurus
02-02-2010, 01:45 PM
No lives will be saved by a TV commercial during the Super Bowl. The FOF ad will be more than balanced out by the beer commercials and ads with sexual themes, thus encouraging more people to go have drunken sex, get pregnant and have abortions.

The average Super Bowl viewer is also watching Jersey Shore and Teen Mom. They emulate those character more than Tim Tebow and his mom.

Abbey Marie
02-08-2010, 12:03 PM
So, I didn't watch most of the SB. Did anyone see the actual ad, and care to comment?

Mr. P
02-08-2010, 01:39 PM
So, I didn't watch most of the SB. Did anyone see the actual ad, and care to comment?

I did..it was a non-event. No real clue what it was even about. IMO a waste of money.

-Cp
02-08-2010, 02:57 PM
As I said in the OP - a COMPLETE WASTE OF MONEY...........

-Cp
02-08-2010, 02:58 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6BIOTItUwvk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6BIOTItUwvk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

darin
02-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Heard on the radio today - Feminazi groups are now claiming the ad Promotes violence against women.

Abbey Marie
02-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Heard on the radio today - Feminazi groups are now claiming the ad Promotes violence against women.

Of course they are. But not a peep about rap lyrics? Or Chris Brown?

Agnapostate
02-08-2010, 06:11 PM
It also wasn't funny. It was a stupid, cheap gag that wasn't even remotely witty. And as said, I would have known nothing about what it was if I hadn't heard beforehand and seen the Focus on the Family website at the end.