PDA

View Full Version : Being rasied from the dead

Noir
01-24-2010, 12:58 AM
Justa quick question for those of you who may know, Jesus (supposedly) raised lazarus from the dead in the bible, is there a section/chapter/verses where lazarus describes what it was like when he was dead?

hjmick
01-24-2010, 01:27 AM
John 11:1-45

Noir
01-24-2010, 01:35 AM
John 11:1-45

Thats just him being raised, he doesn't talk about what it was like being dead

crin63
01-24-2010, 01:49 AM
Justa quick question for those of you who may know, Jesus (supposedly) raised lazarus from the dead in the bible, is there a section/chapter/verses where lazarus describes what it was like when he was dead?

None that I am aware of.

Noir
01-24-2010, 01:52 AM
None that I am aware of.

I know it may seem a bit of a stupid question...but like, if someone came back after being dead for 4 days or whatever, surly there'd be some interest in what it was like. Just sayin,

hjmick
01-24-2010, 02:03 AM
That's the only mention he gets in The Bible. Just bit part.

Noir
01-24-2010, 02:32 AM
That's the only mention he gets in The Bible. Just bit part.

=/

and there are no other records about this man who was dead and came back to life, well weird,

Abbey Marie
01-24-2010, 04:11 PM
For that matter, Jesus himself was dead for three days, but did not speak of it either. There is debate over where exactly his spirit was for those three days, but no one on earth knows.

Noir
01-24-2010, 04:14 PM
For that matter, Jesus himself was dead for three days, but did not speak of it either. There is debate over where exactly his spirit was for those three days, but no one on earth knows.

Yeag, but when he was raised from the dead he had stuff to do, lol, Lazarus didn't, he lived out the rest of his life, and there are no records of him talking about what death was like =/

Abbey Marie
01-24-2010, 04:19 PM
Yeag, but when he was raised from the dead he had stuff to do, lol, Lazarus didn't, he lived out the rest of his life, and there are no records of him talking about what death was like =/

It would be fascinating to know from other than firsthand experience, wouldn't it? Total guess, but I would think that any memory Lazarus had of those days would have been erased in the process of resurrection.

SassyLady
01-24-2010, 07:58 PM
It would be fascinating to know from other than firsthand experience, wouldn't it? Total guess, but I would think that any memory Lazarus had of those days would have been erased in the process of resurrection.

Good points!

Noir
01-25-2010, 04:19 AM

But why?
and is it not weird still that there is no record of even that?

crin63
01-25-2010, 07:40 AM
But why?

The whole thing was about the miracle, not about how it felt. Lazarus represented the sinner being dead in trespasses and sin with nothing he could personally do about it. He needed salvation from death through Jesus.

PostmodernProphet
01-25-2010, 08:09 AM
But why?

why?....there are many things there aren't a record of......Jesus walked the earth for three years.....yet you can read all four gospels aloud in a matter of what, two, three hours?.....the Bible contains that which God wanted to communicate to us about salvation......

Noir
01-25-2010, 08:16 AM
why?....there are many things there aren't a record of......Jesus walked the earth for three years.....yet you can read all four gospels aloud in a matter of what, two, three hours?.....the Bible contains that which God wanted to communicate to us about salvation......

Well no, the bible contains what the Catholic church wanted it to contain when they put it together.

and i'm not talking about biblical refernce as such, but just general writtings, like i'm sure that guy must have been a legend in his town and the area, and yet there are no more details on him than what are in the bible.

PostmodernProphet
01-25-2010, 08:27 AM
Well no, the bible contains what the Catholic church wanted it to contain when they put it together.

and i'm not talking about biblical refernce as such, but just general writtings, like i'm sure that guy must have been a legend in his town and the area, and yet there are no more details on him than what are in the bible.

well, no...that's simply an atheist's pat answer.......Christians agreed on what the Bible is....it existed before the Church did......you always make it sound as if there were huge canon-wars where people fought over what should or should not be excluded......

as for being a legend in his own town....unless someone in town had a quill and some papyrus, being a legend wouldn't have done him much good, would it......

on the other hand, does it strike you as unusual that so many people were willing to pay attention to Jesus?......they thronged the road when he walked by.....they traveled by the thousands to hear him speak......so, maybe Lazarus mentioned a few things after all...or the ten lepers, or etc, etc.....

Noir
01-25-2010, 08:36 AM
well, no...that's simply an atheist's pat answer.......Christians agreed on what the Bible is....it existed before the Church did......you always make it sound as if there were huge canon-wars where people fought over what should or should not be excluded......

When did i mention huge wars? Some peoples high up in the church sat down and chose what books went into the bible and which didn't

as for being a legend in his own town....unless someone in town had a quill and some papyrus, being a legend wouldn't have done him much good, would it......

Are you suggesting no one in the town could write?

on the other hand, does it strike you as unusual that so many people were willing to pay attention to Jesus?......they thronged the road when he walked by.....they traveled by the thousands to hear him speak......so, maybe Lazarus mentioned a few things after all...or the ten lepers, or etc, etc.....

I'm sure Mohammed and various other messiahs also had great followings and people gathering to hear them speak, they can't all be right, and if its proof for one its proof for all,

PostmodernProphet
01-25-2010, 11:05 AM
I'm sure Mohammed and various other messiahs also had great followings and people gathering to hear them speak, they can't all be right, and if its proof for one its proof for all,

now there's a huge transition.....all of a sudden we are talking about "proof".....I thought we were talking about nobody noticing Lazarus.......

PostmodernProphet
01-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Are you suggesting no one in the town could write?

no.....I'm suggesting a lot of things happened in a lot of towns during the first century that we don't have a written record of.......

DragonStryk72
01-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Thats just him being raised, he doesn't talk about what it was like being dead

Honestly, would you really want to talk about it yourself? There are plenty of people who won't talk about their near death experiences, let alone a post death experience.

Noir
01-25-2010, 01:04 PM
now there's a huge transition.....all of a sudden we are talking about "proof".....I thought we were talking about nobody noticing Lazarus.......

Indeedy we were, and then you suggested that the fact that Jesus was well received meant that maybe Lazarus did spread his story, but there are no other records of it.

Other than Lazarus and Jesus are there any Christian stories of people being raised from the dead? If not then this is the only man in history that has experienced death, for several days, and come back to life, and the only record is a few lines in a book?

Noir
01-25-2010, 01:05 PM
no.....I'm suggesting a lot of things happened in a lot of towns during the first century that we don't have a written record of.......

Indeed, but the son of God passing through and bringing someone back to life who had been dead for a few days is a little more important than allot of the other stuff that wasn't written down i'm sure,

Noir
01-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Honestly, would you really want to talk about it yourself? There are plenty of people who won't talk about their near death experiences, let alone a post death experience.

Well ofcourse no one can answer that, but i assume that after the event Lazarus became a devout Christian and would of used his story to spread the word of god, no?

PostmodernProphet
01-25-2010, 02:10 PM
Indeedy we were, and then you suggested that the fact that Jesus was well received meant that maybe Lazarus did spread his story, but there are no other records of it.

Other than Lazarus and Jesus are there any Christian stories of people being raised from the dead? If not then this is the only man in history that has experienced death, for several days, and come back to life, and the only record is a few lines in a book?

good point....Jesus got a whole chapter about his resurrection.....

the Bible isn't about "what is it like to be dead"......the bible is about "creation - fall - redemption"......it is communication of the gospel message......it doesn't tell us what Lazarus experienced......it doesn't tell us what the average rainfall was in Palestine in the year 1 AD.......it doesn't tell us the best trade route between Damascus and Rome.....

unfortunately for you there aren't many other texts available from that part of the world in that era......and all the reporters from the Galilee Sun Times were busy investigating corruption in Herod's administration that week.......

PostmodernProphet
01-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Indeed, but the son of God passing through and bringing someone back to life who had been dead for a few days is a little more important than allot of the other stuff that wasn't written down i'm sure,

word spread in the way the word spread in those days......a month later people were spreading palm branches in the streets of Jerusalem so Jesus could ride his donkey to the temple......so yes, it was important and no, you can't pretend people didn't notice.....

PostmodernProphet
01-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Well ofcourse no one can answer that, but i assume that after the event Lazarus became a devout Christian and would of used his story to spread the word of god, no?

and the story was written down.....and used to spread the word.....why else would we be talking about it 2000 years later?.....

Noir
01-25-2010, 02:31 PM
good point....Jesus got a whole chapter about his resurrection.....

the Bible isn't about "what is it like to be dead"......the bible is about "creation - fall - redemption"......it is communication of the gospel message......it doesn't tell us what Lazarus experienced......it doesn't tell us what the average rainfall was in Palestine in the year 1 AD.......it doesn't tell us the best trade route between Damascus and Rome.....

unfortunately for you there aren't many other texts available from that part of the world in that era......and all the reporters from the Galilee Sun Times were busy investigating corruption in Herod's administration that week.......

I'm not saying the bible should be all about 'what its like to be dead' but when i started this thread i honestly expected it to mention it somewhere, alas not.

Noir
01-25-2010, 02:33 PM
word spread in the way the word spread in those days......a month later people were spreading palm branches in the streets of Jerusalem so Jesus could ride his donkey to the temple......so yes, it was important and no, you can't pretend people didn't notice.....

And no one bothered to write it down? Like seriously?

And as i have said, i'm sure many people in history have been treated the same way as Jesus was for being holy and what not, doesn't really mean anything.

Noir
01-25-2010, 02:34 PM
and the story was written down.....and used to spread the word.....why else would we be talking about it 2000 years later?.....

All that was written down was 'i was dead, jesus brought me back to life' it seems no one was interested enough to know what the after life was like =/

PostmodernProphet
01-25-2010, 06:20 PM
And no one bothered to write it down? Like seriously?

And as i have said, i'm sure many people in history have been treated the same way as Jesus was for being holy and what not, doesn't really mean anything.
apart from the Bible give me an example of anything written down between 30 and 33 AD that happened in Galilee......which by the way, would be classified somewhat similarly to West Virginia if the Bible narrative had occurred in the US today....

PostmodernProphet
01-25-2010, 06:22 PM
All that was written down was 'i was dead, jesus brought me back to life' it seems no one was interested enough to know what the after life was like =/

they were interested in a guy who seemed to have the power to control the weather, disease, leprosy, death, and the molecular structure of a good grape......that may have pre-occupied them.....especially that last part.....

BoogyMan
01-25-2010, 07:16 PM

Why would Lazarus describe what being dead was like when the point of the whole thing was to confirm the FACT that Jesus was the Son of God?