PDA

View Full Version : The SOTU speech thread

Mr. P
01-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Your two cents as the BS hits the fan and lies are told.

GO!

Mr. P
01-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Tax cuts? Recovery act?

I just did my taxes..

Splain why I'm paying TWICE the tax I did last yr!!!!

Noir
01-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Well i'm annoyed with it already, all my american friends are going offline to watch it for homework =/

Mr. P
01-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Cut Capital gains tax on small business? WTF!

Small business does not pay Capital gains!!!

Tax Banks? What an IDIOT!!!

Mr. P
01-27-2010, 09:43 PM
OMG SPEND SPEND SPEND!!!!

Bend over folks this guy doesn't have a clue!!!

Joyful HoneyBee
01-27-2010, 09:49 PM
He just reported that millions more Americans will lose their jobs, the deficit will continue to grow and more businesses will drop their insurance offerings for employees. Still pushing the hellcare reform bill....now claiming that its existence will somehow miraculously 'cure' the deficit. What????????? How did he come to that conclusion?

Mr. P
01-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Only took 50 minutes to BLAME BUSH.

Joyful HoneyBee
01-27-2010, 10:00 PM
A website for posting the earmarks so we can agonize over how our money is being spent even as it is being plucked from our hands. Great Plan.....how about STOP coming up with ludicrous earmarks in the first place?

Mr. P
01-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Indeed Honeybee..

The guy is on his knees beggin for hope an change that he promised a yr ago but hasn't delivered on yet.

"Give me just a little more time, and our love will surely grow!"

Joyful HoneyBee
01-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Interesting that he acknowledged that the American people are angry, but clearly doesn't understand nearly enough about why? Honestly, most of the people in that room are clueless about why we are angry and what it will take to fix this broken machine. So many of them have been in gilded halls for so long they have no idea what the real world is all about.

Mr. P
01-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Nothing more than a Damn campaign speech!

Joyful HoneyBee
01-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Yet, he has said just moments ago that they in Washington must stop behaving as if everyday is election day.

Mr. P
01-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Yet, he has said just moments ago that they in Washington must stop behaving as if everyday is election day.

He also said we should open new oil drilling site..but yer gonna pay through the nose for it.

I wanna her the response from the GOP.

Abbey Marie
01-27-2010, 10:46 PM
Indeed Honeybee..

The guy is on his knees beggin for hope an change that he promised a yr ago but hasn't delivered on yet.

"Give me just a little more time, and our love will surely grow!"

He may be on his knees, but we're the ones in the barrel. :mad:

Mr. P
01-27-2010, 10:51 PM

Indeed..until November anyway.

Kathianne
01-27-2010, 11:02 PM
Well he shocked me by doubling down on the liberal agenda, wonder how that's going to play? I don't think he realizes that people have really been paying attention, they probably know the numbers better than he does. They KNOW that the gov't has been making up jobs 'saved or created.' The newspapers shockingly did a pretty good job of reporting on the faked zip codes and businesses.

Then there was the 'if anyone, either party has better suggestions regarding health care, tell me. Tell me.' People already know that he refuses to meet with Republicans about health care, indeed, "I won."

I don't think he's going to pick up traction.

Mr. P
01-27-2010, 11:07 PM
Well he shocked me by doubling down on the liberal agenda, wonder how that's going to play? I don't think he realizes that people have really been paying attention, they probably know the numbers better than he does. They KNOW that the gov't has been making up jobs 'saved or created.' The newspapers shockingly did a pretty good job of reporting on the faked zip codes and businesses.

Then there was the 'if anyone, either party has better suggestions regarding health care, tell me. Tell me.' People already know that he refuses to meet with Republicans about health care, indeed, "I won."

I don't think he's going to pick up traction.

After saying I'll tax banks..I'll bet ya 100 cyber bucks the market tanks tomorrow.

Kathianne
01-27-2010, 11:13 PM
After saying I'll tax banks..I'll bet ya 100 cyber bucks the market tanks tomorrow.

Indeed. One last thought before I turn in about an hour late...

Don't you think that his chastising another branch was just creepy? I swear this man might try court packing or something else very stupid. He's freaking me out.

I'll look in tomorrow. Night all.

Mr. P
01-27-2010, 11:25 PM

Don't you think that his chastising another branch was just creepy? I swear this man might try court packing or something else very stupid. He's freaking me out.

Yes I do and telling...so did one of the Judges I hear..

Later.

Joyful HoneyBee
01-27-2010, 11:32 PM

Yep Abbey, we are; and, I think he sees us as a bunch of sour pickles mucking up his pork barrel. Tis a sad SOTU when a leader behaves so badly.

And, that rotten stinking Pelosi sitting behind him watching the back of his head with her worshiping eyes, even after being called down for pushing for Defense budget cuts. The witch would send our troops out and rob them of the bare necessities if she could get by with it.

One thing he mentioned is that it IS an election year. By now most people agree it is time to sweep the house clean. Every time anyone in Washington opens their mouth that becomes more apparent to more and more people.

Let them keep harping their outrageous liberal agenda, they do it quite blithely, as if this is all great merriment for them. I predict their merry little liberal party will be over and no one will have asked them to dance this fall.

red states rule
01-27-2010, 11:42 PM
Obama is basicly pitting the private sector against the public sector, and he has the nerve to say "I'm not out to punish banks

How will the private sector create jobs with the Federal governemnt going after them, increasing the cost of doing business, and constantly demonizing them?

Obama is only interested in creating government jobs, and increasing taxes to try and cover part of the cost

Also, I got the impression Obama is still acting like the MA election never happened

SassyLady
01-28-2010, 01:16 AM

This, too, creeped me out more than anything Kathianne .... I've never heard a president chastise the Supreme Court in a SOTU address before........

darin
01-28-2010, 05:01 AM
SOTU? Should be the STFU Speech. I refuse to listen the President - I find his bloviating and extreme, over-the-top egomaniacal denial to be akin to a kick in the nuts of Truth and reason.

red states rule
01-28-2010, 07:05 AM
While Joe Wilson was not heard from during this speech, SC Justice Alito had a more quiet moment

Has a US President ever attacked the USSC during a SOTU speech as Obama did?

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9jYLrxeaqTo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9jYLrxeaqTo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

POLITICO's Kasie Hunt, who's in the House chamber, reports that Justice Samuel Alito mouthed the words "not true" when President Barack Obama criticized the Supreme Court's campaign finance decision.

"Last week, the Supreme Court reversed a century of law to open the floodgates for special interests — including foreign corporations — to spend without limit in our elections," Obama said. "Well I don’t think American elections should be bankrolled by America’s most powerful interests, or worse, by foreign entities. They should be decided by the American people, and that’s why I’m urging Democrats and Republicans to pass a bill that helps to right this wrong."

The shot of the black-robed Supreme Court justices, stone-faced, was priceless.

Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) stood up behind the justices and clapped vigorously while Alito shook his head and quietly mouthed his discontent.

Schumer and Rep. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md) are trying to find a way to legislate around the Supreme Court decision.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/politicolive/0110/Justice_Alitos_You_lie_moment.html

Abbey Marie
01-28-2010, 10:47 AM
This, too, creeped me out more than anything Kathianne .... I've never heard a president chastise the Supreme Court in a SOTU address before........

Perhaps we are seeing under the veil- Obama wants all the power centralized for himself, not three distinct branches of gov't. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

And yet, the college- and high school- aged kids I am friends with on FB loved him and loved the speech. Scary times for the US.

red states rule
01-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Perhaps we are seeing under the veil- Obama wants all the power centralized for himself, not three distinct branches of gov't. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

And yet, the college- and high school- aged kids I am friends with on FB loved him and loved the speech. Scary times for the US.

Do any of those people who loved the speech Abbey, actually believe Obama will do what he promised?

Do they really expect the US to build more nuclear plants? Actually do more off shore drilling? Actually freeze spending? Actually cut the deficit?

To get the real meaning of his promisies and what Obama means you would have to send a copy of the speech to the Cryptology department of the CIA

CSM
01-28-2010, 11:14 AM
You can bet your last nickel that when Obama implored "Congress" not to back away from healthcare reform that he was sending the secret code to Pelosi and Reid to try the reconcilliation method and ram it through anyway. I heard today tha Pelosi is saying that for 300 million they could compromise on the Senate bill.

Little-Acorn
01-28-2010, 01:15 PM
My favorite part was where he referred to "the overwhelming scientific evidence on climate change". There was a moment of silence, and then a LOT of people started laughing out loud, and kept it up for several moments.

I can't offhand recall when a President was laughed at like that, in a major speech to a joint session of Congress, in response to something he didn't intend as a joke.

Anybody?

Kathianne
01-28-2010, 04:41 PM
My favorite part was where he referred to "the overwhelming scientific evidence on climate change". There was a moment of silence, and then a LOT of people started laughing out loud, and kept it up for several moments.

I can't offhand recall when a President was laughed at like that, in a major speech to a joint session of Congress, in response to something he didn't intend as a joke.

Anybody?

I caught that, then my cable went out and I started running around the house, thinking perhaps it was just in my bedroom. Came back on a few minutes later and I forgot all about that.

That spoke VOLUMES for where America's thinking is at now. Wonder if Obama got it? Doubt it.

Abbey Marie
01-28-2010, 04:51 PM
Do any of those people who loved the speech Abbey, actually believe Obama will do what he promised?

Do they really expect the US to build more nuclear plants? Actually do more off shore drilling? Actually freeze spending? Actually cut the deficit?

To get the real meaning of his promisies and what Obama means you would have to send a copy of the speech to the Cryptology department of the CIA

Can't say from FB comments, but being young they probably are just taken by his supposed charm and teleprompted-eloquence.

They are all about giving him lots of time to "save us". Gag!

red states rule
01-29-2010, 07:48 AM
The bottom line is, Obama's speech was pretty much

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2724/4313062267_982dbe0d8b_m.jpg
"It's Bush's fault!"

CSM
01-29-2010, 07:51 AM

"It's Bush's fault!"

Yep, and the wheels are starting to fall off that lil red wagon!

Abbey Marie
01-29-2010, 08:29 AM

"It's Bush's fault!"

Why does Obama look like Will Smith? :laugh2: