PDA

View Full Version : Embattled Obama declares in speech, 'I don't quit'

chloe
01-28-2010, 08:57 AM
By JENNIFER LOVEN
AP White House Correspondent

WASHINGTON (AP) - Declaring "I don't quit," President Barack Obama fought to recharge his embattled presidency with a State of the Union vow to get jobless millions back to work and stand on the side of Americans angry at Wall Street greed and Washington bickering. Defiant despite stinging setbacks, he said he would fight on for ambitious overhauls of health care, energy and education.

"Change has not come fast enough," Obama acknowledged Wednesday night before a politician-packed House chamber and a TV audience of millions. "As hard as it may be, as uncomfortable and contentious as the debates may be, it's time to get serious about fixing the problems that are hampering our growth."

Obama looked to change the conversation from how his presidency is stalling _ over the messy health care debate, a limping economy and the missteps that led to Christmas Day's barely averted terrorist disaster _ to how he is seizing the reins. He spoke to a nation gloomy over double-digit unemployment and federal deficits soaring to a record $1.4 trillion, and to fellow Democrats dispirited about the fallen standing of a president they hoped would carry them through this fall's midterm elections.

With State of the Union messages traditionally delivered at the end of January, Obama had one of the presidency's biggest platforms just a week after Republicans scored an upset takeover of a Senate seat in Massachusetts, prompting hand-wringing over his leadership. With the turnover erasing Democrats' Senate supermajority needed to pass most legislation, it also put a cloud over health care and the rest of Obama's agenda.

Obama implored lawmakers to press forward with his prized health care overhaul, in severe danger in Congress. "Do not walk away from reform," he said. "Not now. Not when we are so close."
Republicans applauded the president when he entered the chamber and craned to welcomed Michelle Obama. But bipartisanship disappeared early, with Republicans sitting stone-faced through several rounds of emphatic Democratic cheering and as Obama took a sharp jab at GOP congressional strategy. "Just saying no to everything may be good short-term politics, but it's not leadership," he said.

Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito, appointed by President George W. Bush, made a dismissive face, shook his head in disagreement and seemed to mouth the words "not true" as Obama said the court in a recent decision had "reversed a century of law to open the floodgates for special interests _ including foreign corporations _ to spend without limit in our elections."

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=126&sid=9273259

Kathianne
01-28-2010, 04:43 PM
In my lifetime he's the first lame duck, first year president we've had.

stephanie
01-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Thug in Chief is what I see him as.

I just wonder if we can survive him for another 3yrs.

chloe
01-28-2010, 06:55 PM
If only he would "quit" spending....

Gaffer
01-28-2010, 08:03 PM
If only he would quit.

glockmail
01-28-2010, 08:28 PM
I hope he doesn't quit. After all, look at the damage he's done so far to the Democrat Party.

Gaffer
01-28-2010, 08:50 PM
But in destroying the democrat party he is also taking down the rest of the country. With him everybody loses.

glockmail
01-28-2010, 08:51 PM
You have to do a little demolition before a good renovation.

Binky
01-29-2010, 03:15 AM
If only he would quit.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: I think it's safe to say he isn't going to......

Binky
01-29-2010, 03:17 AM

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: And by golly, he's doing it....

Gaffer
01-29-2010, 09:49 AM

But you don't demolish the foundation while remodeling the upper levels.

glockmail
01-29-2010, 09:56 AM
But you don't demolish the foundation while remodeling the upper levels. I think the foundation, the Constitution, is fine. But its a limited foundation, and additions and additions have been added on to it without any foundational support. These should all be demolished back to the original structure.

Gaffer
01-29-2010, 10:11 AM
I think the foundation, the Constitution, is fine. But its a limited foundation, and additions and additions have been added on to it without any foundational support. These should all be demolished back to the original structure.

The foundation is fine. But he wants to tear it out. And he expects the structure to stay up.

glockmail
01-29-2010, 11:08 AM
The foundation is fine. But he wants to tear it out. And he expects the structure to stay up. I know he does, but he can't. But in the process, he will destroy what he hopes to expand: the Democrat Party.