PDA

View Full Version : Mean Girls: Cyberbullying Blamed for Teen Suicides

chloe
01-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Massachusetts Girl, 15, Was Reportedly Bullied Online Before Taking Her life
Parents in a western Massachusetts town are trying to understand the horrific bullying that apparently led a pretty 15-year-old to kill herself-- and they are furious.
"That could have easily been my daughter and I am angry," South Hadley, Mass., parent Dave Leonard told school officials at a crowded meeting this week.
"You have failed," parent Luke Gelinas added, as the audience applauded. "Until someone admits there's been failure here, complete failure, you have nowhere to go."
But who exactly failed Phoebe Prince? Friends say the Irish immigrant, who moved to South Hadley just last year, had been the recipient of nasty online messages and e-mails. She was found dead in her home two weeks ago.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/girls-teen-suicide-calls-attention-cyberbullying/story?id=9685026

6kQxVRl_O3g

glockmail
01-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Damn shame.

82Marine89
01-28-2010, 11:44 AM
"That could have easily been my daughter and I am angry," South Hadley, Mass., parent Dave Leonard told school officials at a crowded meeting this week.

"You have failed," parent Luke Gelinas added, as the audience applauded. "Until someone admits there's been failure here, complete failure, you have nowhere to go."

Am I reading this wrong or are the parents blaming the school?

glockmail
01-28-2010, 12:44 PM
They are. Obviously they never talked to their daughter about school. Kids in Massachusetts, even out in the sticks where they are, can be extremely cruel and perhaps being immigrants they didn't understand that. But that's still no excuse.

DragonStryk72
01-28-2010, 01:17 PM
They are. Obviously they never talked to their daughter about school. Kids in Massachusetts, even out in the sticks where they are, can be extremely cruel and perhaps being immigrants they didn't understand that. But that's still no excuse.

Okay, so here's what I don't get: I was bullied in some fashion or other for my entire run through school. K-8 was actually physical bullying, but the mental/emotional bullying continued throughout. I never thought about ending it, or anything. If anything, my parents tried to push me to stand up for myself.

Bullying alone is not a cause for suicide, there have to be other issues there along with it.

82Marine89
01-28-2010, 02:21 PM

What about the parents of the kids who did this? Why isn't this fake outrage of these parents being directed at them? Immigrant or not, these girls would have found another target. Maybe they should spend some hard time in prison keeping someone warm and then they can learn about being bullied themselves.

Just my 2¢

Monkeybone
01-28-2010, 02:25 PM
I hate to be the jerk.... but why did this girl keep taking to these people? you can block people.....

chloe
01-28-2010, 03:47 PM
I hate to be the jerk.... but why did this girl keep taking to these people? you can block people.....

She just moved here from Ireland, maybe massachusettes kids are different then Ireland kids, but at any rate Poncho said its not only a damn shame but Face book and the kids who posted and bullied she fry in an electric chair, because they are devilish savants that deserve no mercy like they gave no mercy to the immigrant irish girl. Oh yeah Poncho said the irish girl was pretty and so those mean kids must be on crack to put her down.

glockmail
01-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Okay, so here's what I don't get: I was bullied in some fashion or other for my entire run through school. K-8 was actually physical bullying, but the mental/emotional bullying continued throughout. I never thought about ending it, or anything. If anything, my parents tried to push me to stand up for myself.

Bullying alone is not a cause for suicide, there have to be other issues there along with it.

Maybe there was, but my point is that where I grew up bullying was the norm, and we all just had to deal with it, and the way we did was to always have a smart-ass verbal come-back and to rain good-natured disrespect on everyone, especially our friends. When I was in my early 20's I worked with several folks from foreign countries and very few couldn't handle that attitude.

glockmail
01-28-2010, 08:13 PM
What about the parents of the kids who did this? Why isn't this fake outrage of these parents being directed at them? Immigrant or not, these girls would have found another target. Maybe they should spend some hard time in prison keeping someone warm and then they can learn about being bullied themselves.

Just my 2¢ I blame the parents as well. Obviously they didn't talk to their daughter about school.

Noir
01-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Cyber bullying is not bullying. This is just part of a network of stories that are trying to put in our minds how evil the internet is, and that it needs some sort of regulator....or, police!

chloe
01-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Police Investigating Suicide of Massachusetts Teenager

Even in death, Prince was bullied. On a memorial page dedicated to the Massachusetts teen who had recently committed suicide, Facebook members (http://www.facebook.com/people/Phoebe-Prince/1364962834#/group.php?gid=274390379200&ref=search&sid=118763.3040935461..1l) left taunting comments that had to be removed.
"It's heart-wrenching," said South Hadley Police Chief David LaBrie. "She had only moved here last summer."

"We are looking at all factors," said LaBrie, who was assisting the Northwest District Attorney's office with an investigation into Prince's death.

LaBrie refused to discuss the details of Prince's suicide out of "respect for the family's privacy.

"It's tremendously emotionally draining on the family and the whole community right now," he told ABCNews.com. "It's such a sad thing."
In a letter to parents, Principal Daniel Smith called Prince "smart, charming, and as is the case with many teenagers, complicated. ... We will never know the specific reasons why she chose to take her life.''

In 2006, Megan Meier killed herself after the mother of a former friend created a fictitious profile to harass the Missouri 13-year-old. Three years earlier, 13-year-old Ryan Patrick Halligan of Vermont hung himself after he'd been bullied online.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/girls-teen-suicide-calls-attention-cyberbullying/story?id=9685026&page=2

Gaffer
01-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Cyber bullying is not bullying. This is just part of a network of stories that are trying to put in our minds how evil the internet is, and that it needs some sort of regulator....or, police!

You hit the nail on the head. Gotta spread the rep.

glockmail
01-28-2010, 08:31 PM

I disagree. You can take someone's picture and post it along with a bunch of disgusting lies on a site that you know kids at school will see. It's no different than making posters of the same and putting them up all around town. Actually its worse, because the shit can't be taken down unless you have special site privileges.

chloe
01-28-2010, 08:36 PM
I disagree. You can take someone's picture and post it along with a bunch of disgusting lies on a site that you know kids at school will see. It's no different than making posters of the same and putting them up all around town. Actually its worse, because the shit can't be taken down unless you have special site privileges.

I was watching a documentary about a boy who a group of mean girls pretended to like him and then one of the popular girls made plans to meet up with him this was all done through myspace then they posted all his exchanges with them and made fun of him and told all the boys at school he was gay and the boy killed himself too, it was his first year in junior high. I think younger teens are sometimes fragile. It made me feel so bad for the parents.

glockmail
01-28-2010, 08:40 PM
I was watching a documentary about a boy who a group of mean girls pretended to like him and then one of the popular girls made plans to meet up with him this was all done through myspace then they posted all his exchanges with them and made fun of him and told all the boys at school he was gay and the boy killed himself too, it was his first year in junior high. I think younger teens are sometimes fragile. It made me feel so bad for the parents. I'm just glad all I had to deal with was spoiled white kid gangs who tried to squash my bag of chips or throw my books in the mud. I'd simply wait until I found one alone and beat the crap out of him.

chloe
01-28-2010, 08:41 PM
I'm just glad all I had to deal with was spoiled white kid gangs who tried to squash my bag of chips or throw my books in the mud. I'd simply wait until I found one alone and beat the crap out of him.

I never got bullied but I moved alot so

glockmail
01-28-2010, 08:48 PM
I never got bullied but I moved alot so In my town being from another town, or neighborhood, was reason enough for kids to bully. We moved in from the rival town prior to me entering the school system but my brother who was 7 years older got the full brunt right away. To deal with it he turned weenie and occasionally took it out on me. I didn't take shit from anyone especially him. His rep then fell on me as his bullies had younger siblings.

chloe
01-28-2010, 08:57 PM
In my town being from another town, or neighborhood, was reason enough for kids to bully. We moved in from the rival town prior to me entering the school system but my brother who was 7 years older got the full brunt right away. To deal with it he turned weenie and occasionally took it out on me. I didn't take shit from anyone especially him. His rep then fell on me as his bullies had younger siblings.

wherever we moved I made friends quickly usually it was with the bad kids, the juvenile delinquents, nobody really picked on me but I was married by 16 and working 2 jobs in vegas so I really didnt go through the whole school experience.

glockmail
01-28-2010, 09:03 PM
wherever we moved I made friends quickly usually it was with the bad kids, the juvenile delinquents, nobody really picked on me but I was married by 16 and working 2 jobs in vegas so I really didnt go through the whole school experience.Lots of times those kids are like they are because they themselves have been bullied. They tend to be better friends than the popular kids because of the solidarity thing.

chloe
01-28-2010, 09:05 PM
In my town being from another town, or neighborhood, was reason enough for kids to bully. We moved in from the rival town prior to me entering the school system but my brother who was 7 years older got the full brunt right away. To deal with it he turned weenie and occasionally took it out on me. I didn't take shit from anyone especially him. His rep then fell on me as his bullies had younger siblings.

Is your brother named Poncho? just kidden....your brother sounds like a macho guy.

glockmail
01-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Is your brother named Poncho? just kidden....your brother sounds like a macho guy. Not really. He's a liberal because his wife demands it and has raised his two boys to be weenies. A strong wind would knock these two on their skinny white asses.

chloe
01-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Not really. He's a liberal because his wife demands it and has raised his two boys to be weenies. A strong wind would knock these two on their skinny white asses.

Are you serious, the brother who kicked your ass is now a sissy liberal?:laugh2:

glockmail
01-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Are you serious, the brother who kicked your ass is now a sissy liberal?:laugh2: He kicked my ass because he was 7 years older than I was. Whenever I see him now I ask him if he wants to go out back and try it again.

chloe
01-28-2010, 09:30 PM
He kicked my ass because he was 7 years older than I was. Whenever I see him now I ask him if he wants to go out back and try it again.

Im sure he's too busy recycling his Martha Coakley posters and organizing a global warming save the planet ralley to fight in the backyard. (Poncho said he'd knock your wussy brother out in one shot)

DragonStryk72
01-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Maybe there was, but my point is that where I grew up bullying was the norm, and we all just had to deal with it, and the way we did was to always have a smart-ass verbal come-back and to rain good-natured disrespect on everyone, especially our friends. When I was in my early 20's I worked with several folks from foreign countries and very few couldn't handle that attitude.

See, that's my point. I got beaten on for years, I simply wasn't big enough or strong enough to be able to go toe-to-toe with those guys, but I managed through it, sometimes with a smart quip, sometimes just by getting back up every time they knocked me down.

The parents going at the school isn't going to do much, since the school can't police the internet. Even if they were told about it, the school can't enforce anything beyond their walls.

It does surprise me that the girl is Irish, because fighting and bullying are common there.

chloe
01-28-2010, 09:36 PM
See, that's my point. I got beaten on for years, I simply wasn't big enough or strong enough to be able to go toe-to-toe with those guys, but I managed through it, sometimes with a smart quip, sometimes just by getting back up every time they knocked me down.

The parents going at the school isn't going to do much, since the school can't police the internet. Even if they were told about it, the school can't enforce anything beyond their walls.

It does surprise me that the girl is Irish, because fighting and bullying are common there.

It's not the schools fault, but still its sad. Thats sucks that you got bullied.

glockmail
01-28-2010, 09:39 PM

I suppose it depends what part of Ireland she was from.

I was small for my age as well as one of the youngest in the class so many tried to pick on me. Very few were successful though because my parents taught me to stand up for myself.

Obviously this kid didn't have that.

glockmail
01-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Im sure he's too busy recycling his Martha Coakley posters and organizing a global warming save the planet ralley to fight in the backyard. (Poncho said he'd knock your wussy brother out in one shot)

His wife is well beyond that, writing checks to the ACLU. And they have a son-in-law, nicknamed Poncho. They guy's a pshrink from South America and about 5-3, 120#.

chloe
01-28-2010, 09:46 PM
His wife is well beyond that, writing checks to the ACLU. And they have a son-in-law, nicknamed Poncho. They guy's a pshrink from South America and about 5-3, 120#.

OMG:laugh2:.....poncho is shrinking me right here at DP privately....and he told me he is a Republican....what a fibber !

DragonStryk72
01-28-2010, 09:46 PM
It's not the schools fault, but still its sad. Thats sucks that you got bullied.

Eh, it was just the way things went, I was the short skinny smart kid until 9th grade, when I suddenly managed to be up around 5'10", with squared shoulders. Somehow, people stopped taking the chance at that point, and instead went the insults route.

I suppose it depends what part of Ireland she was from.

I was small for my age as well as one of the youngest in the class so many tried to pick on me. Very few were successful though because my parents taught me to stand up for myself.

Obviously this kid didn't have that.

Yeah, I mean, where were they during all of this? She had to have to said something to them somewhere in about it, so why are they shocked at the bullying? The girls who did it obviously couldn't have figured the girl would kill herself, they probably weren't thinking on it on any really deep level even.

chloe
01-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Eh, it was just the way things went, I was the short skinny smart kid until 9th grade, when I suddenly managed to be up around 5'10", with squared shoulders. Somehow, people stopped taking the chance at that point, and instead went the insults route.

Yeah, I mean, where were they during all of this? She had to have to said something to them somewhere in about it, so why are they shocked at the bullying? The girls who did it obviously couldn't have figured the girl would kill herself, they probably weren't thinking on it on any really deep level even.

I dont know the article said the bullies were leaving horrible messages on her online memorial board too. Thats pretty over the top cruel in my opinion. It sounds like you learned how to deal with all that bullying and hazing you are stronger then alot of the kids today, they are more sensitive to it, it would seem.

DragonStryk72
01-29-2010, 07:44 AM
I dont know the article said the bullies were leaving horrible messages on her online memorial board too. Thats pretty over the top cruel in my opinion. It sounds like you learned how to deal with all that bullying and hazing you are stronger then alot of the kids today, they are more sensitive to it, it would seem.

I think it's because I was always expected to be able to stand up to it. Nowawadays, I think that parents tend to overprotect their children, and without realizing it, they create these extra fears in them of things that they would either have no fear of, or substantially less.

chloe
01-29-2010, 10:55 AM
I think it's because I was always expected to be able to stand up to it. Nowawadays, I think that parents tend to overprotect their children, and without realizing it, they create these extra fears in them of things that they would either have no fear of, or substantially less.

I think you are right, I feel overprotective of my daughters alot.

gabosaurus
01-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Which is why adults should monitor their childrens' online communications and take note of changes in their daily behavioral patterns.
If you let your kid get to that point without noticing, then you have failed them.

chloe
01-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Which is why adults should monitor their childrens' online communications and take note of changes in their daily behavioral patterns.
If you let your kid get to that point without noticing, then you have failed them.

True, still its sad eh>?

gabosaurus
01-29-2010, 02:15 PM
It is sad. I see bullying in the schools every day. Much of it comes from kids who were bullied themselves as a child. Or are from families where there is no love in the house.
Many times, you try to call out the bully, but the parents of the bully deny it. They blame everyone but themselves.
There is a definite lack of parental responsibility in too many cases. Parents who believe their child is always blameless and can do nothing wrong. Then they wonder why their kids grow up to be criminals and hoodlums. Or drug addicts and teen moms.
Parents need to be watchful of their kids and question their behavioral and attitude changes. Don't just attribute it to "growing up."

chloe
01-29-2010, 02:23 PM
It is sad. I see bullying in the schools every day. Much of it comes from kids who were bullied themselves as a child. Or are from families where there is no love in the house.
Many times, you try to call out the bully, but the parents of the bully deny it. They blame everyone but themselves.
There is a definite lack of parental responsibility in too many cases. Parents who believe their child is always blameless and can do nothing wrong. Then they wonder why their kids grow up to be criminals and hoodlums. Or drug addicts and teen moms.
Parents need to be watchful of their kids and question their behavioral and attitude changes. Don't just attribute it to "growing up."

I agree

glockmail
01-29-2010, 04:07 PM
We had a bully in my neighborhood when I was in middle school, his name was Al. He was my age but the size of a full grown man, about 6-0 and 180#, strong as a damn ox. About once a week he'd pick on one of us, and when it came to my turn it was a summer afternoon and we were hanging out on one of the kid's front stoops. He starts in on me and I run into the street and around a car that was parked there. I was much faster and agile so had no trouble keeping out of his reach. After a few times around the car Al get's an idea in his head to climb over the hood after me. Of course he missed but that move pissed off the owner of the car, a college kid painting the house next door.

This kid grabs Al by the throat, and proceeds to describe how he was listening to the whole thing, and that he was bullied by someone just like Al when he was young, and now its payback time.

This kid gets Al on the ground and beats the crap out of him. All us kids were thrilled, then stunned since we never saw a college beating like that but just kid stuff. He's kicking Al in the chest and head, and Al is bleeding and crying. After a long time he let Al go and he went home and that was the last time that I saw him.

Abbey Marie
01-29-2010, 04:07 PM
I always figured bullies were just repeating the behaviors they were subject to at home. :dunno:

chloe
01-29-2010, 04:28 PM
We had a bully in my neighborhood when I was in middle school, his name was Al. He was my age but the size of a full grown man, about 6-0 and 180#, strong as a damn ox. About once a week he'd pick on one of us, and when it came to my turn it was a summer afternoon and we were hanging out on one of the kid's front stoops. He starts in on me and I run into the street and around a car that was parked there. I was much faster and agile so had no trouble keeping out of his reach. After a few times around the car Al get's an idea in his head to climb over the hood after me. Of course he missed but that move pissed off the owner of the car, a college kid painting the house next door.

This kid grabs Al by the throat, and proceeds to describe how he was listening to the whole thing, and that he was bullied by someone just like Al when he was young, and now its payback time.

This kid gets Al on the ground and beats the crap out of him. All us kids were thrilled, then stunned since we never saw a college beating like that but just kid stuff. He's kicking Al in the chest and head, and Al is bleeding and crying. After a long time he let Al go and he went home and that was the last time that I saw him.

:laugh2:

Kathianne
01-29-2010, 05:15 PM

Usually the victims of bullying have very concerned parents, often over-protective. The child seems very secure, not needing to kowtow to the queen bees or alpha males. Those that are bullies are usually as Gabby said. Their parents are either disinterested or excuse makers, often bullies themselves.

Schools choose the path of least resistance. When 'intervention' is called for, guess which kid is going to be offered alternative schools or counseling? Not the bullies, but the victims.

DragonStryk72
01-30-2010, 08:57 AM

You don't need to monitor online communications, you need to expect your children to deal with these things, and show them how to deal. There are always going to be assholes in the world (You can all think of at least one on the board), as parents, we have to prepare them for that eventuality.

gabosaurus
01-31-2010, 12:25 AM
When I was in 8th grade, I was bullied by a girl because I was really short and fairly shy. I ran home and wanted my sister to go take care of her. Instead, she told how to defend myself. And then said I needed to take care of my own problems.
I was still scared, so I "borrowed" a pair of steel toed boots my sister had used in a drama production and wore them to school. I mouthed back to the bully during lunch and then waited for her to follow me home.
Later that night, her parents brought the police to our house. I was totally innocent of course. :p