PDA

View Full Version : Obama’s State of the Union: How did he do?

82Marine89
01-28-2010, 02:37 PM
The pattern is familiar. After every critical presidential speech, the nation's pundits and editorial boards weigh in. They grade the speech and the speaker and, before too long, the conventional wisdom is set. So what is the consensus grade for President Obama’s high-stakes State of the Union address last night?

Perhaps not surprisingly, the opinions that rapidly flooded the punditsphere last night vary widely. What is more remarkable is where the harshest criticism came from. The New York Times describes Obama's addresss as a "defiant" and "controversial" speech to a "skeptical" audience, one whose core message was "I don't quit." But while the speech was praised by a broad swath of pundits from center-left to center-right, staunch conservatives and aggressive liberals found plenty to dislike.

The Huffington Post's Arianna Huffington labeled it a "paint-by-poll-numbers" speech that "had the feel of being focus-grouped within an inch of its life":

"And while most State of the Union speeches have a bit of a kitchen-sink feel to them, this one seemed particularly so with its blink-and-you-missed-it mentions of "earmark reform" and cracking "down on violations of equal pay laws -- so that women get equal pay for an equal day's work." It felt less like an overriding vision for the country, and more like an attempt to deliver at least one applause line for every constituency in the country."

Read more about B.O. here... (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_pl1087)

chloe
01-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Poncho said he thought Obama did better than Chris Mathews the commentator. He said he is ashamed of Chris and he has not forgotten Chris is white !:eek:...but then he ranted about how much a failure Obama is , and he said Obama is trying to steal social security away and also 401ks. He said Obama believes in health care reform that includes cutting off old sick people and letting them die because Obama is a Darwinist.:eek:

glockmail
01-28-2010, 08:50 PM
He was generally disrespectful and failed to accept responsibility. As expected.

krisy
01-28-2010, 09:15 PM
I thought the punch he took at the Supreme Court was NOT a good thing to do in the state of the union.Seemed very wrong to knock them while they had to sit there sitting on their hands not able to say a word or show any kind of response. Seemed like a low blow to me. Any other time,but that was the wrong time.

I also heard more crap about creating imaginary jobs that will never really employ anyone but imaginary people in Obama"s head.:eek:

glockmail
01-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Good point and so typical of the bully that he is. Alito would deck this guy in a closed door meeting.

krisy
01-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Good point and so typical of the bully that he is. Alito would deck this guy in a closed door meeting.

It appeared he wanted to last night. I bet they were fuming.

glockmail
01-28-2010, 09:27 PM
It appeared he wanted to last night. I bet they were fuming. Even Ginsberg was pissed, and she voted against the decision.

glockmail
01-28-2010, 09:30 PM
Here's the video:

http://www.politico.com/singletitlevideo.html?bcpid=19407224001&bctid=63741274001

Mr. P
01-28-2010, 09:38 PM
I thought the punch he took at the Supreme Court was NOT a good thing to do in the state of the union.Seemed very wrong to knock them while they had to sit there sitting on their hands not able to say a word or show any kind of response. Seemed like a low blow to me. Any other time,but that was the wrong time.

I also heard more crap about creating imaginary jobs that will never really employ anyone but imaginary people in Obama"s head.:eek:

Actually I think it was a good thing..you've heard the truth always come out eventually, right?

Well this lil slap in front of the entire Nation shows clearly that Bambam has no respect for the structure of the Government, the separation of powers nor the Constitution.

Essentially he slam dunked he's own ass last night with that comment. And this guys suppose to be smart?

Binky
01-29-2010, 03:14 AM
But he's pretty and he speaks so eloquently.....:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

SassyLady
01-29-2010, 03:38 AM
But he's pretty and he speaks so eloquently.....:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Yeah, if you like that Alfred E Newman look. :eek:

Binky
01-29-2010, 03:41 AM
Yeah, if you like that Alfred E Newman look. :eek:

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: