PDA

View Full Version : To folks who claim to be a "christian"

-Cp
01-29-2010, 12:07 AM
What is it, exactly, that you are "Saved from"?

crin63
01-29-2010, 12:22 AM

The penalty of sins.

Pericles
01-29-2010, 12:29 AM

Great question.

Pericles
01-29-2010, 12:38 AM
The penalty of sins.

This makes no sense. The wrong we have done, cannot be undone. The wrong that we have done, cannot be struck from our record, any more than it is possible to make what happened, to not have happened. If there is to be justice, we must face the consequences of our transgressions. Nothing and no one can cancel our responsibility. The penalty we face cannot be avoided. This is what freedom means.

-Cp
01-29-2010, 01:20 AM
The penalty of sins.

You are? So.. if you go murder someone, do you not still have to face prison time?

-Cp
01-29-2010, 02:40 AM
The penalty of sins.

And actually, you're not.... .

We all will die and in Romans 6:23 it says:

...the wages of sin is death..

None of us can escape that...

PostmodernProphet
01-29-2010, 06:28 AM

?......so, you only like half the sentence?.....how about "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

which, by the way also serves as the answer to Perc's post....

Noir
01-29-2010, 06:45 AM
Look its very simple.

You have to save yourself from the eternal fires of hell that you will be sent to unless you are forgiven for the sins which god put in you and which you can only have forgiven if you believe that he came to earth in order to have himself killed so that he may pay himself for the sin that he put in man with his own blood.
Simple
:laugh2:

PostmodernProphet
01-29-2010, 06:52 AM
why would you call a convoluted and confused misrepresentation "simple"?

Noir
01-29-2010, 07:09 AM
why would you call a convoluted and confused misrepresentation "simple"?

Why would you make a random statement rather than point out which bits are convoluted and misrepresented?

You will go to hell if you are not forgiven your sins, yes?
You will have commited sins in your life because god gave you the ability and you can not live a sinless life, yes?
You have your sins forgiven by accepting Jesus, Yes?
And Jesus was god sent to earth in order to die, yes?

PostmodernProphet
01-29-2010, 07:12 AM
Why would you make a random statement rather than point out which bits are convoluted and misrepresented?

okay....I will highlight the parts that are misrepresented in red....

You have to save yourself from the eternal fires of hell that you will be sent to unless you are forgiven for the sins which god put in you and which you can only have forgiven if you believe that he came to earth in order to have himself killed so that he may pay himself for the sin that he put in man with his own blood.

then I will put the convoluted parts in green...You have to save yourself from the eternal fires of hell that you will be sent to unless you are forgiven for the sins which god put in you and which you can only have forgiven if you believe that he came to earth in order to have himself killed so that he may pay himself for the sin that he put in man with his own blood.

You will have commited sins in your life because god gave you the ability and you can not live a sinless life, yes?
see, even you can tell it's much better when you leave out the misrepresentations and the convolutions.....

Noir
01-29-2010, 07:15 AM

then I will put the convoluted parts in green...You have to save yourself from the eternal fires of hell that you will be sent to unless you are forgiven for the sins which god put in you and which you can only have forgiven if you believe that he came to earth in order to have himself killed so that he may pay himself for the sin that he put in man with his own blood.

Good, thats step one, now explain the misrepresentations and thus we may discuss them :)
And its only convoluted because the whole bloomin thing is, i'm sure you must of realised the the 'Simple' was dripping in sarcasm.

PostmodernProphet
01-29-2010, 07:32 AM
Good, thats step one, now explain the misrepresentations and thus we may discuss them :)
And its only convoluted because the whole bloomin thing is, i'm sure you must of realised the the 'Simple' was dripping in sarcasm.

let's start with the biggie.....
God does not put sin in us.....

Noir
01-29-2010, 07:46 AM
let's start with the biggie.....
God does not put sin in us.....

But surly he gave us free will, no? By giving us free will he gave us the ability to commit sin, and the ability to commit sin is the power to commit sin. To put it another way, if god wanted us to not sin he would of made it so, instead he chose to put sin in us.

DragonStryk72
01-29-2010, 07:55 AM

don't know, couldn't tell you anyhow if I did know

God gave free will, just like we have alcohol. Neither one combines well with every single person on the planet.

Nope, not that easy. See, first you have to mean it, second you have to actually be truly sorry for your sins, and you still have to deal with the consequences of those sins (No, coming to jesus does not give you a pass on murder or any other crime. Breaking man made law is likely to still result in fines, penalties, and/or jail. Christ deals more with the afterlife.)

No, and yes. He actually never said he was God, actually. Six years of catholic school spent on that book, and I can tell you, he never once said he was God, only the Son of God, and he only copped to that one after he resurrected. He actually moved to stop his disciples from calling him the Messiah.

So, yeah, if you're going to start going at the bible, you should probably go ahead and read it first. You look like much less of an ass that way

DragonStryk72
01-29-2010, 08:00 AM
But surly he gave us free will, no? By giving us free will he gave us the ability to commit sin, and the ability to commit sin is the power to commit sin. To put it another way, if god wanted us to not sin he would of made it so, instead he chose to put sin in us.

Ah, common misconception, it falls under the "well, why would he let us do that?" concept.

Well, here we go: parents generally love their children, and while they love them, they still many times allow their children to do things that they do not agree with, yes? It's that simple, if you really do love someone, then no, you don't want to be their puppet-master. Free will, the ability to choose even as far as to not believe, is the god-given right of every sentient being, including yourself.

PostmodernProphet
01-29-2010, 09:30 AM

he gave us free will.....which is the opposite of sin being the result of some action he has taken.....because of free will, sin is the result of OUR action.....let's be honest...you knew it was a misrepresentation when you typed it the first time.....is there any logical reason for you to deny it now?....

PostmodernProphet
01-29-2010, 09:37 AM
He actually never said he was God, actually. Six years of catholic school spent on that book, and I can tell you, he never once said he was God, only the Son of God, and he only copped to that one after he resurrected

inaccurate....John 8:58"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!" 59At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

they picked up stones to stone him because he had blasphemed........"I am" is the name of God

crin63
01-29-2010, 12:50 PM
This makes no sense. The wrong we have done, cannot be undone. The wrong that we have done, cannot be struck from our record, any more than it is possible to make what happened, to not have happened. If there is to be justice, we must face the consequences of our transgressions. Nothing and no one can cancel our responsibility. The penalty we face cannot be avoided. This is what freedom means.

You are absolutely correct in that there is nothing that we can do to erase our sins, however that it why Jesus came, lived a sinless life and died on a cross to bear the sins of those who come to him by faith, trusting Him to the saving of their souls. Those who come to Jesus are then justified by His payment of the penalty for their sins and their sins are no longer recorded in Gods books. They are covered by the blood Jesus shed on the cross.

You are? So.. if you go murder someone, do you not still have to face prison time?

You know that your response is not at all what I was in reference too but as usual you have to try and twist things to appease your hatred of all things religious.

Answered by PMP

-Cp
01-29-2010, 01:48 PM
?......so, you only like half the sentence?.....how about "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

which, by the way also serves as the answer to Perc's post....

I love full sentences...

You're absolutely right- Christ's atonement was for ALL MANKIND - Adam intro'd sin into this world, the wages of which introduced death to all - Christ's sacrifice will bring life to all.

-Cp
01-29-2010, 01:52 PM

see, even you can tell it's much better when you leave out the misrepresentations and the convolutions.....

You couldn't be more wrong on this - The Bible says that we're not saved by works lest any of us should boast - and that means even the "work" of reciting some stupid little prayer..

Not all gifts have to be received in order to be applied. If I was a millionaire and I went straight to your bank and paid off your mortgage for you would you still not be the beneficiary of that payment? Tell me, which part of that did you have to "First receive or believe" for the debt to be wiped away? I'll help you out here.. NONE OF IT.. the debt was wiped clean regardless of your belief or effort of any kind to "accept it"...

82Marine89
01-29-2010, 01:55 PM

The penalty of sins.

Let me ask that if there is a God, Would He would judge people not by whether they believe in Him, but in the lives they led. It would seem impossible that he would send a wonderful, giving, caring person to Hell simply because that wonderful, giving, caring person didn't believe in Him. And are billions of people in China and India going to hell because they believe in Buddhist or Hindu faiths?

-Cp
01-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Sorry Noir - I might be the first person to tell you this, but you totally rock to God - he loves and adores you and you matter to him!

I hope I can clarify somethings for you that the 'religious zealots" on this board don't understand yet as they're blinded by religion.

Noir: There is no such a place "called hell" - that word doesn't appear anywhere in the original greek or hebrew. In every instance the Bible is talking about an earthly place.

Christ's atonement was paid for ALL of mankind - 1 Timothy 4:10 tells us that:
"Jesus Christ, savior of ALL men, especially those that believe".

Christ said: "If I be lifted up, I will DRAW (the word there in the greek is literally drag) ALL MEN unto me"

Your sins were forgiven on the Cross when Christ said "It is finished!"

Yup - the bible says he was a "Ransom for ALL"

PostmodernProphet
01-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Let me ask that if there is a God, Would He would judge people not by whether they believe in Him, but in the lives they led. It would seem impossible that he would send a wonderful, giving, caring person to Hell simply because that wonderful, giving, caring person didn't believe in Him. And are billions of people in China and India going to hell because they believe in Buddhist or Hindu faiths?
if that is what they choose, obviously yes......that or they had better hope the Buddhist or Hindu heaven has room for them.....certainly they shouldn't expect to go to a Christian heaven if they refuse to believe in it.....nor should anyone else.....

-Cp
01-29-2010, 02:03 PM

You're right on the money 82Marine - God won't be sending ANYONE to a fictitious place called "Hell" - that is NOT in the Bible anywhere.

82Marine89
01-29-2010, 02:06 PM
if that is what they choose, obviously yes......that or they had better hope the Buddhist or Hindu heaven has room for them.....certainly they shouldn't expect to go to a Christian heaven if they refuse to believe in it.....nor should anyone else.....

Heaven has neighborhoods? Better yet, there's more than one god?

Noir
01-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Please don't post within a quote, as it makes it much more awkward to reply to.

don't know, couldn't tell you anyhow if I did know

Does the bible not mention anything about it?

God gave free will, just like we have alcohol. Neither one combines well with every single person on the planet.

Indeedy, but alcohol is a bad example, i can chose to not drink alcohol, i can not chose not to sin,

Nope, not that easy. See, first you have to mean it, second you have to actually be truly sorry for your sins, and you still have to deal with the consequences of those sins (No, coming to jesus does not give you a pass on murder or any other crime. Breaking man made law is likely to still result in fines, penalties, and/or jail. Christ deals more with the afterlife.)

Well you have gone into more detail, but you are only further explaining what i meant, though i may have been to simplistic, when using the phrase 'accept Jesus'

No, and yes. He actually never said he was God, actually. Six years of catholic school spent on that book, and I can tell you, he never once said he was God, only the Son of God, and he only copped to that one after he resurrected. He actually moved to stop his disciples from calling him the Messiah.

Well i'm not going to debate when he said what ect, but as far as i was always told god is 1 and 3, The father, son and holy sprit. and that the son part came to earth and died for our sins, are you saying thats wrong?

82Marine89
01-29-2010, 02:10 PM
You're right on the money 82Marine - God won't be sending ANYONE to a fictitious place called "Hell" - that is NOT in the Bible anywhere.

According to PMP I'm going to Hell because I believe in Karma. I'm not a born again Christian. I some how managed to be born right the first time.

Noir
01-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Ah, common misconception, it falls under the "well, why would he let us do that?" concept.

Well, here we go: parents generally love their children, and while they love them, they still many times allow their children to do things that they do not agree with, yes? It's that simple, if you really do love someone, then no, you don't want to be their puppet-master. Free will, the ability to choose even as far as to not believe, is the god-given right of every sentient being, including yourself.

I'm not saying 'why would he let us do that' thats a stupid argument, as you have shown. What i was saying is that God put Sin in us by giving us the ability to sin, whereas PMP seems to think this ability came from somewhere else, though he has not said where.

Noir
01-29-2010, 02:16 PM
he gave us free will.....which is the opposite of sin being the result of some action he has taken.....because of free will, sin is the result of OUR action.....let's be honest...you knew it was a misrepresentation when you typed it the first time.....is there any logical reason for you to deny it now?....

I understand what you are saying, sin is what we do, but without God giving us the knowledge of sin we would not be able to commit it. So at some point he must of given us knowledge of sin, no?

gabosaurus
01-29-2010, 02:19 PM
God realizes that man is not perfect. Everyone born on this earth will end up committing a lifetime of sins.
But if you repent your sins and accept God as your savior, He will overlook your sins and accept you into the Kingdom of Heaven.

-Cp
01-29-2010, 02:26 PM
According to PMP I'm going to Hell because I believe in Karma. I'm not a born again Christian. I some how managed to be born right the first time.

Since when does God care what PMP says?

Noir
01-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Sorry Noir - I might be the first person to tell you this, but you totally rock to God - he loves and adores you and you matter to him!

I hope I can clarify somethings for you that the 'religious zealots" on this board don't understand yet as they're blinded by religion.

Well i fear his love shall go unreciprocated, also it doesn't sound much like the God who was described in the Old Testament, Whom Dawkins wonderfully descried as "Arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: Jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving, control freak; a vindictive, blood thirsty ethnic cleanser, a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully"

Also if i may ask, what exactly is you philosophy on all of this? We all go to heaven? or something else?

-Cp
01-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Well i fear his love shall go unreciprocated, also it doesn't sound much like the God who was described in the Old Testament, Whom Dawkins wonderfully descried as "Arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: Jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving, control freak; a vindictive, blood thirsty ethnic cleanser, a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully"

Also if i may ask, what exactly is you philosophy on all of this? We all go to heaven? or something else?

I simply believe what's taught to us in the Bible.......here's a great video that sums it all up:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/At3pkTrKeF8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/At3pkTrKeF8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

82Marine89
01-29-2010, 04:05 PM

To listen to PMP, he obviously writes god's speeches.

PostmodernProphet
01-29-2010, 07:10 PM
Heaven has neighborhoods? Better yet, there's more than one god?

those that choose to disbelieve the Christian deity had better hope so.....

PostmodernProphet
01-29-2010, 07:12 PM

I always figure, if your going to make up your own god you have to make up your own heaven as well.....you can't expect to get invited to the party if you refuse to believe the host exists.....

-Cp
01-29-2010, 07:12 PM
those that choose to disbelieve the Christian deity had better hope so.....

God isn't a Christian, sorry..

PostmodernProphet
01-29-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm not saying 'why would he let us do that' thats a stupid argument, as you have shown. What i was saying is that God put Sin in us by giving us the ability to sin, whereas PMP seems to think this ability came from somewhere else, though he has not said where.

it comes from our choice, obviously.....the misrepresentation you keep stressing is the 'put Sin in us'.....you seem to want to blame God for sin.....it isn't his action, it's yours.....

PostmodernProphet
01-29-2010, 07:17 PM
I understand what you are saying, sin is what we do, but without God giving us the knowledge of sin we would not be able to commit it. So at some point he must of given us knowledge of sin, no?
interesting you should phrase it that way.....

from Genesis 3
1 Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the LORD God had made. He said to the woman, "Did God really say, 'You must not eat from any tree in the garden'?"

2 The woman said to the serpent, "We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, 3 but God did say, 'You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.' "

4 "You will not surely die," the serpent said to the woman. 5 "For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."

PostmodernProphet
01-29-2010, 07:19 PM

true...he never pays any attention to me....I recall when he was creating grass we argued about what color it should be.....he liked green.......

PostmodernProphet
01-29-2010, 07:20 PM
To listen to PMP, he obviously writes god's speeches.

????.....I thought he was writing MINE.....

PostmodernProphet
01-29-2010, 07:22 PM
God isn't a Christian, sorry..
not to worry, CP....you don't need a Christian god, you've got your own god, your own heaven, you plan on providing a place for all those who don't make it into the Christian heaven.......

-Cp
01-29-2010, 07:28 PM
not to worry, CP....you don't need a Christian god, you've got your own god, your own heaven, you plan on providing a place for all those who don't make it into the Christian heaven.......

I don't have my "own God" - he has me! The God of the Universe, Jehovah - rocks...

82Marine89
01-30-2010, 12:26 AM
I always figure, if your going to make up your own god you have to make up your own heaven as well.....you can't expect to get invited to the party if you refuse to believe the host exists.....

Didn't you guys make up yours? Isn't the Bible called 'the greatest story ever told'? Jesus was a schizophrenic.

-Cp
01-30-2010, 01:03 AM
Didn't you guys make up yours? Isn't the Bible called 'the greatest story ever told'? Jesus was a schizophrenic.

No, the Bible isn't referred to as "the greatest story ever told"..

And no, Christ was not a schizophrenic...

Pericles
01-30-2010, 01:03 AM
You are absolutely correct in that there is nothing that we can do to erase our sins, however that it why Jesus came, lived a sinless life and died on a cross to bear the sins of those who come to him by faith, trusting Him to the saving of their souls. Those who come to Jesus are then justified by His payment of the penalty for their sins and their sins are no longer recorded in Gods books. They are covered by the blood Jesus shed on the cross.

God cannot erase the past, God cannot undo what has been done. It is not in God's power, to absolve us of responsibility for what we have done.

Noir
01-30-2010, 01:08 AM
interesting you should phrase it that way.....

from Genesis 3
1 Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the LORD God had made. He said to the woman, "Did God really say, 'You must not eat from any tree in the garden'?"

2 The woman said to the serpent, "We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, 3 but God did say, 'You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.' "

4 "You will not surely die," the serpent said to the woman. 5 "For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."

So you are using Gensis as a factual account of what happened?

Mr. P
01-30-2010, 01:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPrYTO-72Hg&NR=1

PostmodernProphet
01-30-2010, 08:20 AM

if so, don't argue with "our" rules over "our" heaven......I've always found it amusing that atheists complain about the "exclusiveness" of a religion they choose to reject......

PostmodernProphet
01-30-2010, 08:23 AM
So you are using Gensis as a factual account of what happened?

did you feel that breeze?.....it was the "point" swooshing over your head.......did the truth get so uncomfortable you had to change the subject?.....

back to the original issue.....did God give us the knowledge of good and evil or did we take it through disobedience......you are the one who chose the phraseology.....God simply answered your question a few thousand years before you asked it......

PostmodernProphet
01-30-2010, 08:25 AM
God cannot erase the past, God cannot undo what has been done. It is not in God's power, to absolve us of responsibility for what we have done.

/shrugs.....God says the opposite......hmmm, should I believe God or should I believe Pericles......really tough choice.....

Noir
01-30-2010, 09:04 AM
did you feel that breeze?.....it was the "point" swooshing over your head.......did the truth get so uncomfortable you had to change the subject?.....

back to the original issue.....did God give us the knowledge of good and evil or did we take it through disobedience......you are the one who chose the phraseology.....God simply answered your question a few thousand years before you asked it......

If your going to quote a source then surly you must believe it to be a factual account, just sayin =/

God put sin in us, afterall, he did not want us to be robots, he wanted us to be able to chose to follow him or not, how could we not follow him unless he gave us the knowledge to sin? Unless you are trying to say that Sin was an unintended consequence, and i would doubt that you would think that anything that God does is unintended.

Pericles
01-30-2010, 10:22 AM
/shrugs.....God says the opposite......hmmm, should I believe God or should I believe Pericles......really tough choice.....

Hah. This is a guy who hears voices, and he seriously thinks it's more rational to believe in what he thinks phantasms tell him, than the grounded opinion of another real-life person. Tough choice? Only if you're willfully deluded.

chesswarsnow
01-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. For many are called but few are chosen.
2. So if you're neither called or even chosen.
3. Then at some point, you might wonder why you never heard the call and or being hand picked.
4. Maybe you be de goat?
5. Maybe Gods plan is to not call you.
6. Wow now that's the ultimate put down, God over looking you, how could that be anyways?
7. I would want to be found, or called if I'dd been over looked.
8. These important questions on the atheists uncallings answered right here on DP.
9. How does one get called?
10. What do you atheists/agnostics, think the answer to this be?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

82Marine89
01-30-2010, 06:15 PM
if so, don't argue with "our" rules over "our" heaven......I've always found it amusing that atheists complain about the "exclusiveness" of a religion they choose to reject......

Not an atheist, I'm Agnostic. There is a difference.

82Marine89
01-30-2010, 06:18 PM
No, the Bible isn't referred to as "the greatest story ever told"..

And no, Christ was not a schizophrenic...

The Greatest Story Ever Told (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059245/)

I don't believe he was the son of god. He might have led a life that people should emulate, but that's as far as it goes.

PostmodernProphet
01-30-2010, 06:51 PM
If your going to quote a source then surly you must believe it to be a factual account, just sayin =/

God put sin in us, afterall, he did not want us to be robots, he wanted us to be able to chose to follow him or not, how could we not follow him unless he gave us the knowledge to sin? Unless you are trying to say that Sin was an unintended consequence, and i would doubt that you would think that anything that God does is unintended.
repeating it won't make it true.....God did not "put sin in us".....he created us with free will......the sin is our action, not his....

PostmodernProphet
01-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Hah. This is a guy who hears voices, and he seriously thinks it's more rational to believe in what he thinks phantasms tell him, than the grounded opinion of another real-life person. Tough choice? Only if you're willfully deluded.
shucks, Perc, even if God WERE imaginary, his advice would be more logical than yours.....

PostmodernProphet
01-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Not an atheist, I'm Agnostic. There is a difference.
yeah, I know.....nobody wants to be an atheist anymore....

-Cp
01-30-2010, 07:42 PM
The Greatest Story Ever Told (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059245/)

I don't believe he was the son of god. He might have led a life that people should emulate, but that's as far as it goes.

That movie is referring to the life of Christ - NOT the entire Bible, so my statement still stands correct: The Bible is NOT known as "the greatest story ever told"..