PDA

View Full Version : Valentines Day Recipes

Shadow
01-30-2010, 06:12 PM
My kids and I were looking at a book of Valentine's day recipes today,trying to find easy ideas for a school project. Found some that sounded interesting and decided to post a few....

Lemony Love Potion

12-ounce can pink lemonade concentrate
1 cup raspberry sherbet
12-ounce can of 7-Up

Instructions:

In a pitcher, mix the lemonade concentrate with the recommended amount of water.

In a separate pitcher, combine the sherbet with 1 cup of the lemonade mixture.

Add the soda, stir, and serve. Makes 3 cups.

Shadow
01-30-2010, 06:20 PM
A Dozen Candy-Covered Strawberry Roses.

Ingredients:

12 wooden skewers
Cotton swab
Green food coloring
12 large strawberries
14 ounces of candy melts
Fresh mint

Instructions :

For flower stems, use a cotton swab dipped in green food coloring to tint the wooden skewers. Let them dry (about 2 hours).

Stem the strawberries, then insert a skewer into each one.

Heat the candy melts according to the package directions. Dip each strawberry into the melted candy, twirling it to coat it completely.

Stand the skewers in a vase or tall glass and let the candy harden. Add fresh mint to resemble rose leaves, and keep the bouquet chilled until it's time to give it to your sweetie.

Shadow
01-30-2010, 06:25 PM
Peanut butter Cookies Sealed With A Kiss

Ingredients:

2/3 cup smooth peanut butter
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
Sugar (for coating cookies)
40 Hershey's Kisses

Instructions :

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, beat the peanut butter, butter and brown sugar on medium speed until combined. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla extract. On low speed, blend in the flour and salt.

Shape the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in the sugar to coat lightly. Place on ungreased baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

Move the cookies from the baking sheets to a wire rack and immediately place an unwrapped Hershey's Kiss on the center of each cookie, pressing down so that the cookie cracks a little bit around the edge.

Using a metal spatula, transfer the cookies to wire racks and let them cool completely. Repeat until all the dough is used or all the Kisses are gone. Makes approximately 40 cookies.

Shadow
01-31-2010, 10:11 AM
Hugs and Kisses Cake Recipe

24 Hershey's Hugs or Hugs With Almonds Chocolates
24 Hershey's Kisses or Kisses With Almonds Milk Chocolates
3/4 C. butter or margarine, softened
2/3 C. granulated sugar
2/3 C. packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 t. vanilla extract
3 eggs
2 1/2 C. all-purpose flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 C. milk
Frosting
Additional Hershey's Kisses Milk Chocolates and Hershey's Hugs Chocolates

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan.

Remove wrappers from chocolate pieces; coarsely chop. In large bowl, beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt.

Add flour mixture alternately with milk to butter mixture, beating well after each addition. Stir in chopped chocolate candies. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Frost as desired. Arrange additional chocolate pieces in heart shape on top of cake.

Shadow
01-31-2010, 10:14 AM
Champagne Parfaits

2 small boxes lemon-flavored gelatin

2 cups boiling water

2 cups champagne

8 strawberries, washed and hulled

In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water; allow to cool for 10 minutes.

Stir in champagne and chill 40 to 50 minutes, or until slightly thickened.

Reserve 1 cup of gelatin mixture and spoon remaining mixture evenly into 8 champagne flutes.

Place 1 strawberry in each glass.

In a small bowl, beat the reserved 1 cup gelatin mixture until fluffy and doubled in volume.

Spoon evenly into glasses; cover and chill for at least 2 hours, or until set.

Shadow
01-31-2010, 10:21 AM
Heart Breakfast Ring

3 cups flour
1 package active dry yeast
1/4 sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup softened butter or margarine
3/4 cup hot tap water
1 egg

Filling:
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup finely chopped or sliced almonds
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons softened butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 cup finely snipped maraschino cherries

Cherry Icing:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice

Combine 1 cup flour, undissolved yeast, 1/4 cup sugar and salt in large bowl. Stir well. Add 1/4 butter. Add hot tap water.

Beat with electric mixer 2 minutes. Add egg and 1/2 cup flour. Beast until thick and elastic. Gradually stir in just enough flour with wooden spoon to make soft dough that leaves sides of bowl. Turn out onto floured board.

Knead 5-10 minutes. Cover with plastic then a towel. Rest 20 minutes.

Filling: Combine all ingredients except cherries. Mix well.

Punch down dough and roll into a 14x8 rectangle. Spread filling and roll-up tightly beginning with 14" side.

Place in a ring, seam side down, on greased baking sheet. Seal edges tightly. Snip dough into fourteen 1" section, cutting from edge of circle to within 1 inch of center. Turn two cut sections on their sides in opposite directions to form a heart. Repeat until you have a circle of 7 hearts.

Put snipped cherries into each heart. Lightly Brush dough with oil. Refrigerate 2 to 24 hours.

When ready to bake, uncover and let stand 10 minutes. Bake at 375 for 20 - 25 minutes. Use lower rack. If browning too quickly, lower heat to 350. Remove from baking sheet immediately.

Combine powdered sugar and cherry juice in a small bowl. Outline hearts with cherry icing.

darin
01-31-2010, 10:33 AM
Would be sad for somebody who doesn't have a wife to FiX all this for them. :)

Shadow
01-31-2010, 10:33 AM
Kahlua White Chocolate Valentine Cake Recipe

Ganache:

1 3/4 C. whipping cream
3 1/2 oz. chopped white chocolate
1/4 t. vanilla

Cake:

2 oz. white chocolate
1/2 C. whipping cream
1 1/3 C. cake flour; sifted
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 C. unsalted butter at room temperature
1 C. sugar
1 egg
1 egg separated
6 T. milk at room temperature

Kahlua Syrup:

3 T. water
1 t. instant coffee powder
1 t. sugar
1/4 C. Kahlua

Prepare ganache before mixing and baking cake to allow it to chill.

Ganache:
In large bowl of electric mixer, combine cream and chocolate. Set over simmering water until chocolate is melted. Stir until smooth. Refrigerate at least 4 to 5 hours, stirring occasionally, until very thick. Add vanilla and beat until stiff.

Cake:
In small bowl set over simmering water, melt chocolate and cream together. Stir until smooth. Set aside to cool completely. In large bowl of electric mixer, beat batter until fluffy. Gradually beat in 3/4 cup sugar. Beat in whole egg and egg yolk until smooth. Stir in cooled chocolate. Alternately stir in dry ingredients and milk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients and blending thoroughly after each addition. In small bowl, whisk egg white with dash of salt until soft peaks form.

Whisk in remaining 1/4 cup sugar, beating until very thick and glossy and mixture falls from whisk in heavy ribbon. Gently fold egg white into batter. Pour batter into 8 or 9 inch heart shaped cake pan which has been lined with butter and floured waxed paper. Bake on center shelf of oven at 350°F about 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Turn out of pan, if necessary, first trim any excess crust away from pan rim, and carefully peel away paper. Cool completely. Transfer cake to serving plate. Using wood pick, poke holes about 1 inch deep and at about 1 inch intervals in top of cake. Frost with white ganache.

Kahlua Syrup:
In small saucepan, combine water, coffee powder and sugar. Stir over low heat to dissolve coffee and sugar. Bring to boil and pour into small bowl. Add Kahlua and stir to blend. Cool. Drizzle over cake when served.

Shadow
01-31-2010, 10:36 AM
Cupid's Strawberry Cheesecake French Toast Recipe

1 carton ricotta cheese
3 T. confectioners' sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
16 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
2 eggs
1 C. milk
2 C. sliced fresh or frozen strawberries
Additional confectioners' sugar or maple syrup
Hot cooked sausage links, optional

In a small bowl, combine ricotta, sugar and vanilla; mix well. Spread 2 tablespoons each on eight slices of bread; cover with remaining bread.

In a bowl, beat eggs and milk; soak sandwiches for 1-2 minutes per side.

Cook on a hot greased griddle for 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown and heated through.

Serve with strawberries. Top with confectioners' sugar or syrup. Serve with sausages if desired.

Shadow
01-31-2010, 10:39 AM

Actually.. I was giving the men ideas ( you know...helpful little hints) to impress the women with.;)

darin
01-31-2010, 10:50 AM
...but women are already in the kitchen.... :)

Shadow
01-31-2010, 10:56 AM
:eek: ^^^ With that attitude...don't be expecting to see any extra Valentine's Day action then:).

darin
01-31-2010, 11:11 AM
baww...my wife's most-romantic V-tines day ever? I took her to dinner then Home Depot to get her an air-compressor, nail gun and staple gun. I hate it - but she likes it; my job is not to ask her for things I want - but to provide for HER needs.

Shadow
01-31-2010, 11:34 AM
baww...my wife's most-romantic V-tines day ever? I took her to dinner then Home Depot to get her an air-compressor, nail gun and staple gun. I hate it - but she likes it; my job is not to ask her for things I want - but to provide for HER needs.

So did she build you a dog house? :D

I have a feeling you find yourself there occasionaly (jk). ;)

Mr. P
01-31-2010, 12:23 PM
Actually.. I was giving the men ideas ( you know...helpful little hints) to impress the women with.;)

Here's a hint for the men: DON'T bake any of this stuff for her IF she's on a diet (and they ALWAYS are)...THAT'S SUICIDE regardless of your intentions!

I promise you'll hear.."YOU WRECKED MY DIET!" a couple days later.

Shadow
01-31-2010, 01:37 PM
^^ You could always suggest helping her working off all those calories. Sheesh.... be creative and use your imagination. :)

Such negativity LOL.

darin
01-31-2010, 02:13 PM
So did she build you a dog house? :D

I have a feeling you find yourself there occasionaly (jk). ;)

For buying her what she wants? Naw...

Shadow
01-31-2010, 02:33 PM
So, what does she like to build? And I was just teasing you anyway..

darin
01-31-2010, 02:35 PM
furniture and junk. :)

Shadow
01-31-2010, 03:15 PM
Just for fun,or does she sell it?

darin
01-31-2010, 03:51 PM
just for need, typically. :) She's not confident enough in her work to sell it.

Kathianne
01-31-2010, 06:10 PM
Hey Shadow, making all those would be a no-no. But one or two, oh yea! Especially if the kids made them and dad cleaned up! Diet be damned! ;)

PostmodernProphet
01-31-2010, 06:16 PM

????....you mean you aren't fixing them for your wife?.....

PostmodernProphet
01-31-2010, 06:18 PM
Here's a hint for the men: DON'T bake any of this stuff for her IF she's on a diet (and they ALWAYS are)...THAT'S SUICIDE regardless of your intentions!

I promise you'll hear.."YOU WRECKED MY DIET!" a couple days later.

If your foolish enough to acknowledge her diet or any need for it, then suicide is too good for you.......

Shadow
01-31-2010, 07:21 PM
Hey Shadow, making all those would be a no-no. But one or two, oh yea! Especially if the kids made them and dad cleaned up! Diet be damned! ;)

A few of them we found specifically so my 12 year old could do the cooking/baking/fixing. She wants to be a chef when she is older,so most of the school projects she takes on are food related. The last school project she worked on had her making Greek chicken...it was pretty darn good too. As for the diet thing...yeah it can definately be sacraficed for one day. :)

Mr. P
01-31-2010, 09:36 PM
If your foolish enough to acknowledge her diet or any need for it, then suicide is too good for you.......

Obviously you have no clue.

PostmodernProphet
01-31-2010, 10:05 PM
Obviously you have no clue.
???...I don't know....I've been married to the same woman for 33 years....I may have figured something out by now.....

darin
02-01-2010, 05:15 AM
Acknowleding a woman's health and body issues (honey - let's have salad tonite) is doing her a favor :)

Shadow
02-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Acknowleding a woman's health and body issues (honey - let's have salad tonite) is doing her a favor :)

Well, as long as you don't mind her acknowleding your short comings on other days...like "Steak and BJ day" for instance..then fine.

Here ya go you party poopers a low fat recipe.

Fancy Five Fruit Salad Recipe

1 C. mandarin oranges, drained

1 C. pineapple chunks, drained

1 C. miniature marshmallows

1 C. coconut

1 C. sour cream

Note: The fat in this recipe can be cut by using reduced fat sour cream. Do not use non-fat sour cream.

Stir all ingredients together. Chill.

chloe
02-05-2010, 10:52 PM
My kids and I were looking at a book of Valentine's day recipes today,trying to find easy ideas for a school project. Found some that sounded interesting and decided to post a few....

Lemony Love Potion

12-ounce can pink lemonade concentrate
1 cup raspberry sherbet
12-ounce can of 7-Up

Instructions:

In a pitcher, mix the lemonade concentrate with the recommended amount of water.

In a separate pitcher, combine the sherbet with 1 cup of the lemonade mixture.

Add the soda, stir, and serve. Makes 3 cups.

mmm I need that love potion shadow, I want to play cupid at work between a gal pal and a buddy of mine he he he....I'm trying to hook them up...wink...we are having a potluck at work for Valentines day. I hate potlucks LOL but I like your recipe for the drink. Do you cook your husband a romantic dinner?

Shadow
02-05-2010, 11:59 PM
So, you are a matchmaker huh...good luck. Nope,don't cook for anyone except me and the kids. My 12 year old is planning on making a few of these recipes so we will see how they turn out. I hate potlucks too!

crin63
02-06-2010, 02:51 AM
I figured out a pretty good excuse for not participating in Valentines Day. The first time I went out with my ex-wife was on Valentines Day so I told my wife its obviously a cursed day that should never be recognized. Okay, so every so often I'll get her a card or flowers.

Shadow
02-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Why exactly would you want/need an "excuse" to not romance your wife on Valentines day?

Shadow
02-13-2010, 11:30 PM
Another healthy Valentine's day recipe...

Cherry Angel Trifle

Ingredients:

1 package sugar-free cherry gelatin
3/4 cup boiling water
1 prepared Angel Food cake (torn into 1-inch cubes)
1 can (about 20-ounces) light cherry pie filling
1 carton (8-ounce) Fat-Free Cool Whip

Directions:

Dissolve gelatin in water; refrigerate for 15 minutes.

Place half of the cake cubes in 3-quart trifle or clear glass serving bowl; top with half of the gelatin and pie filling.

Repeat layers.

Top with whipped cream.

Refrigerate Cherry Angel Trifle for one hour.

Shadow
02-13-2010, 11:35 PM
This one could be a fun thing for kids to help make...

Marshmallow Cupid

Ingredients:

2 Marshmallows
1 tablespoon ready-to-spread white frosting
1 Ritz Cracker, halved
2 miniature marshmallows
1 piece shoestring licorice (3-inch)
Decorator icing, small candies and colored sprinkles

Directions:

Stack two large marshmallows for "body", secure with small amount of frosting. Use additional frosting to attach cracker halves to back of marshmallow stack for "wings". Attach miniature marshmallow for "arms" with additional frosting.

Cut licorice crosswise into two equal pieces. Use small scissors to "feather" end of one piece for feather end of "arrow". Attach small candy to other end for tip of arrow.

Carefully cut down center of remaining licorice piece to one-quarter inch of opposite end, using small scissors. Bend one side to form "bow; trim other side to fit. Dampen end slightly; press firmly into bent bow. Attach bow and arrow to cupid with remaining frosting.

Decorate with icings, candies and sprinkles.

Recipe makes one Marshmallow Cupid.

Shadow
02-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Sesame Shrimp Hearts with Passion Sauce

(from a Newsletter online)

Ingredients:

1 lb medium-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
10 tablespoons I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon orange juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
1/3 cup strawberry jelly (may sub other jams)
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
1/2-1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 medium avocado, peeled and sliced

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425°. Slice down back of shrimp, almost completely through with small knife. Gently spread and flatten. Arrange shrimp cut-side up on lightly greased baking sheet; set aside.

Melt 6 tablespoons I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!® Spread in 1-quart saucepan over medium heat, then stir in ginger, citrus juices, salt and pepper. Evenly spoon sauce over shrimp, then sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.

Meanwhile, heat remaining 4 tablespoons Spread, jelly, vinegar and hot pepper sauce in 1-quart saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until jelly is melted. Strain, if desired. Arrange shrimp in heart shapes on sliced avocado and drizzle with sauce to serve.

Shadow
02-13-2010, 11:55 PM
More healthy Valentine's day treats...came from a health food newsletter online...

Valentine's Day Chocolate Dippers (raw foods)

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups cocoa powder, raw
1 cup agave nectar
3 tablespoons agave nectar
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 lb fresh strawberries (or bananas sliced in chunks, Clementine tangerine wedges, or dried apricots)

Directions:

In a small bowl, mix together raw cocoa powder, agave nectar, oil, and salt until smooth. Place mixture in refrigerator to chill for 10 minutes.

Put parchment paper on a large plate.

Dip the end of one piece of fruit at a time into the cocoa mixture and place on the parchment paper.

Put plate in freezer for 10 minutes before serving.

chloe
02-14-2010, 03:12 PM
More healthy Valentine's day treats...came from a health food newsletter online...

Valentine's Day Chocolate Dippers (raw foods)

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups cocoa powder, raw
1 cup agave nectar
3 tablespoons agave nectar
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 lb fresh strawberries (or bananas sliced in chunks, Clementine tangerine wedges, or dried apricots)

Directions:

In a small bowl, mix together raw cocoa powder, agave nectar, oil, and salt until smooth. Place mixture in refrigerator to chill for 10 minutes.

Put parchment paper on a large plate.

Dip the end of one piece of fruit at a time into the cocoa mixture and place on the parchment paper.

Put plate in freezer for 10 minutes before serving.

so sweet of you to share !

Shadow
02-14-2010, 04:37 PM
I do make chocolate covered stawberries and pretzels sometimes,but have never tried the other fruit. Might have to though...sounded good to me too.

Kathianne
02-14-2010, 04:40 PM
I do make chocolate covered stawberries and pretzels sometimes,but have never tried the other fruit. Might have to though...sounded good to me too.

I want to know...how did Valentine's go at your house? Was the spouse surprised? What did you and the kids end up making? :coffee:

Shadow
02-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Valentine's day has been pretty good. I met one of my friends for lunch yesterday which was nice. We were planning on a movie too,but decided to go next week instead. One of my kids spent the weekend with her grandma,so the other daughter and I decided to go to Fudrucker's today for burgers and milkshakes...then bummed around at the mall (she want's a dress for a winter dance that is coming up). I bought myself a really cool hand painted blown glass heart necklace while we were there. Later we are planning on making that shrimp recipe listed above for dinner along with a cheese cake ( I may need to hit the treadmill later in the week after this weekend). How has your Valentine's day been?

My daughter made the peanut butter cookies and the love potion punch (both were good!).

Kathianne
02-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Valentine's day has been pretty good. I met one of my friends for lunch yesterday which was nice. We were planning on a movie too,but decided to go next week instead. One of my kids spent the weekend with her grandma,so the other daughter and I decided to go to Fudrucker's today for burgers and milkshakes...then bummed around at the mall (she want's a dress for a winter dance that is coming up). I bought myself a really cool hand painted blown glass heart necklace while we were there. Later we are planning on making that shrimp recipe listed above for dinner along with a cheese cake ( I may need to hit the treadmill later in the week after this weekend). How has your Valentine's day been?

My daughter made the peanut butter cookies and the love potion punch (both were good!).
Sounds like you had a lovely day. Mine was spent watching my school kids raise money for Haiti at Pancake Breakfast. Both of my sons and one girlfriend came for breakfast. The one sans girlfriend stayed and helped with clean up. It was a good day. ;)

Shadow
02-14-2010, 06:03 PM
So, how much money did you end up raising? I remember doing a few of those type of fundraisers in the past. Spahgetti dinner's mostly...but they were pretty fun for the kids. Sounds like you had a good V-day too.

It had been real cold here for several weeks...but today it is really sunny and beautiful out. If the weather stays nice,I may take my kids to the zoo pretty soon. I kept thinking about that today,we have not been in awhile.

Kathianne
02-14-2010, 06:05 PM
So, how much money did you end up raising? I remember doing a few of those type of fundraisers in the past. Spahgetti dinner's mostly...but they were pretty fun for the kids. Sounds like you had a good V-day too.

It had been real cold here for several weeks...but today it is really sunny and beautiful out. If the weather stays nice,I may take my kids to the zoo pretty soon. I kept thinking about that today,we have not been in awhile.

$1350! Add that to the $1500 we already collected in school, pretty substantial for a school with total enrollment of about 190. The kids are very proud of themselves.

Was a good day.

Shadow
02-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Wow that's great! The kids should be proud of themselves...they did good!

Kathianne
02-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Wow that's great! The kids should be proud of themselves...they did good!

Indeed! Luckily tomorrow is President's Day! I need some rest. ;)