PDA

View Full Version : If then...Holidays

darin
01-31-2010, 10:32 AM
IF we say "happy holidays" in schools, in stead of "Merry Christmas" because Christmas is religious in nature, and thus shouldn't be in school...what's with the "Happy (St.)Valentines Day" stuff my kids are bringing home? Why aren't we using "Happy Holidays" for Valentines Day? I know... And - Valentine's Day isn't even a LEGAL HOLIDAY.

Christ. The secular world is becoming more and more oppressive to Christianity.

"OH - we say that because there are several holidays which fall in the same timeframe - in case somebody doesn't celebrate Christmas! We don't want to OFFEND them by wishing them a Merry Christmas if they are jewish!"

...There's more than one Holiday around Valentines Day, too....What if people don't celebrate St. Valentine's Day, yet they celebrate Washington's Birthday?

(sigh).

So - we deny the use of "Christmas" - a LEGAL, FEDERAL, SECULAR Holiday because of "Christ", yet we freely recognize a NON-Federal Holiday centered around a Saint.

Abbey Marie
01-31-2010, 12:55 PM
IF we say "happy holidays" in schools, in stead of "Merry Christmas" because Christmas is religious in nature, and thus shouldn't be in school...what's with the "Happy (St.)Valentines Day" stuff my kids are bringing home? Why aren't we using "Happy Holidays" for Valentines Day? I know... And - Valentine's Day isn't even a LEGAL HOLIDAY.

Christ. The secular world is becoming more and more oppressive to Christianity.

"OH - we say that because there are several holidays which fall in the same timeframe - in case somebody doesn't celebrate Christmas! We don't want to OFFEND them by wishing them a Merry Christmas if they are jewish!"

...There's more than one Holiday around Valentines Day, too....What if people don't celebrate St. Valentine's Day, yet they celebrate Washington's Birthday?

(sigh).

So - we deny the use of "Christmas" - a LEGAL, FEDERAL, SECULAR Holiday because of "Christ", yet we freely recognize a NON-Federal Holiday centered around a Saint.

I know you already know the answer to your question, so I will just say, great post, my friend. :beer:

And- happy (St.) Valentine's Day to you!

darin
01-31-2010, 02:08 PM
happy holidays! :D