PDA

View Full Version : Atheists outraged over a stamp honoring Mother Teresa

red states rule
02-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Do these people run around looking for things to complain about? These people have way to much time on their hands

An atheist organization is blasting the U.S. Postal Service for its plan to honor Mother Teresa with a commemorative stamp, saying it violates postal regulations against honoring "individuals whose principal achievements are associated with religious undertakings."

The Freedom from Religion Foundation is urging its supporters to boycott the stamp — and also to engage in a letter-writing campaign to spread the word about what it calls the "darker side" of Mother Teresa.

The stamp — set to be released on Aug. 26, which would have been Mother Teresa's 100th birthday — will recognize the 1979 Nobel Peace Prize winner for her humanitarian work, the Postal Service announced last month.

"Noted for her compassion toward the poor and suffering, Mother Teresa, a diminutive Roman Catholic nun and honorary U.S. citizen, served the sick and destitute of India and the world for nearly 50 years," the Postal Service said in a press release. "Her humility and compassion, as well as her respect for the innate worth and dignity of humankind, inspired people of all ages and backgrounds to work on behalf of the world’s poorest populations."

But Freedom from Religion Foundation spokeswoman Annie Laurie Gaylor says issuing the stamp runs against Postal Service regulations.

"Mother Teresa is principally known as a religious figure who ran a religious institution. You can't really separate her being a nun and being a Roman Catholic from everything she did," Gaylor told FoxNews.com.

Postal Service spokesman Roy Betts expressed surprise at the protest, given the long list of previous honorees with strong religious backgrounds, including Malcolm X, the former chief spokesman for the Nation of Islam, and the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., a Baptist minister and co-founder of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.

"In fact we honored Father Flanagan in 1986 for his humanitarian work. This has nothing to do with religion or faith," Betts told FoxNews.com.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,584165,00.html

Abbey Marie
02-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Yup, licking that Mother Teresa stamp will really go a long way in establishing a "State" religion. How I wish these imbeciles could be transported back in time, say, to England circa 16th century, to see what it really means to have a state-sponsored religion.

To address the other glaring hypocrisy, they wouldn't dare oppose a stamp honoring the REVEREND Martin Luther King.

Noir
02-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Its idiots like these guys that give the rest of us a bad name =/

82Marine89
02-01-2010, 01:25 PM

Well....

DragonStryk72
02-01-2010, 02:16 PM
No, Noir's right. It's not like we haven't had far sillier items on our stamps: pinup girls, looney tunes, Elvis, planes, trains, automobiles, I mean it's not like we're really breaking new ground here.

also, Mother Theresa, while known for her humanitarian efforts, was not solely doing them for the furthering of her religion, she was doing it to help people who needed, much like MLK, who is on our stamps, and was a reverend.

PostmodernProphet
02-01-2010, 02:45 PM
d'uh.....that's why atheist's try to change their name......

Noir
02-01-2010, 03:07 PM
d'uh.....that's why atheist's try to change their name......

=/
I'm sure as heck not, if you're looking for 'name-changers' you need look no further than 'creationists' and 'IDers'

red states rule
02-01-2010, 11:22 PM

You are so right Noir. There is a t shirt that sums up your feelings perfectly

http://www.thoseshirts.com/images/99-500.gif

Noir
08-16-2010, 08:53 PM

I knew I made this post, and have been looking for it.

Over tge past while I have been doing more reserch & looking into the life of this women, and have since come to reconsider my position. My previous comment was made in ignorence of what she did (an ignorence which is generally accepted as the truth)

I know some (maybe most) will think 'here he goes, she's religous, ofcourse he thinks she's evil' ect, bt that is not the case, it is clear when Reading about her that she believed that suffering was part of gods plan, and so did not want to ease suffering, but rather use it to further her religous beliefs. It is truly amazing to listen to what Nuns who worked with this women have to say about her, given her *motherly* image that is known world-wide

HogTrash
08-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Do these people run around looking for things to complain about?Yep.

Sweetchuck
08-16-2010, 09:05 PM
More the reason to privatize our postal system. Government agencies are easy targets for these jackasses.

Make postal service private and you'll get a better product cheaper, and they can issue a "FUCK YOU" stamp if they want.

:thumb:

Noir
08-16-2010, 09:10 PM
Yep.

Have you, as I did, bought into the PC story of MT? Or have you looked up the story of her life yourself?

LiberalNation
08-16-2010, 09:57 PM
why shouldn't she get a stamp, she's famous enough in her own right.

today a stamp, tomorrow sainthood.

Mr. P
08-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Who the hell uses stamps anymore ?

Sweetchuck
08-16-2010, 11:15 PM

Atheists apparently.

LiberalNation
08-16-2010, 11:15 PM
I had to go into a post office for the first time in my life to buy some stamps just to mail in a parking ticket I got for expired meter. They still require stamps them at least.

Insein
08-17-2010, 08:55 AM
The simpsons have their own stamps. Star wars has their own stamps. I think we can spare some ink and paper for Mother Theresa. Cause ultimately, nobody cares but a few nut jobs.

The First ammendment for those that forget it:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Congress is not passing any law here respecting an establishment of religion. If a law was passed that stated, Christianity will be recognized as the official religion of the US and these stamps will be the official stamps, then I can see an argument.

LuvRPgrl
08-17-2010, 01:02 PM
More the reason to privatize our postal system. Government agencies are easy targets for these jackasses.

Make postal service private and you'll get a better product cheaper, and they can issue a "FUCK YOU" stamp if they want.

here here

then we can get rid of congress,.....and .......

LuvRPgrl
08-17-2010, 01:04 PM

what is a stamp?

Abbey Marie
08-17-2010, 02:43 PM

Yes! The perfect stamp to affix to my taxes and my parking tickets. :laugh:

08-17-2010, 07:43 PM
I suppose the are equally outraged over Rev. Martin Luther King Jr being celebrated so much by the public for his overtly religious belief that men are creating equal and should be treated as equals?

Missileman
08-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Imagine the reaction if I started a thread "Christians dishonor fallen heros by picketing funerals".

sgtdmski
08-17-2010, 11:14 PM
Wow, there you have it folks. The perfect ammunition against atheist. They hate the poor!!!!!

Face it they have just admitted it!!!!!

Mother Teresa is known for providing food, medical care, housing and compassion to the poor.

To object to her getting a stamp only shows that atheist not only do not believe in God, but they do not believe in compassion, giving comfort, or helping those who are less fortunate.

Man is man, only through God can one find the need for tolerance and compassion. Atheist have none!!!!!! And thus it is proven!!!!!

dmk

KarlMarx
08-18-2010, 05:49 AM
Actually, it's guys like Josef Stalin, Mao Tse Tung, Pol Pot, Fidel Castro, Vladimir Lenin, and Kim Jong Il that really give you guys a bad name. After all, wiping out over 100 million people from the face of the Earth isn't exactly a nice thing to do.

HogTrash
08-18-2010, 06:25 AM
Have you, as I did, bought into the PC story of MT? Or have you looked up the story of her life yourself?Other than the standard story line, I don't know all that much about Sister Teresa, although I have heard some negative rumors concerning her but wouldn't know if they are true.

But I certainly don't believe PC has played any part in the stories that surround her, whether they be positive or negative...As far as I know, political correctness doesn't apply to her situation.

Basicly, PC is the promotion of a social lie to obliterate the truth to advance a political cause.

HogTrash
08-18-2010, 07:01 AM
Actually, it's guys like Josef Stalin, Mao Tse Tung, Pol Pot, Fidel Castro, Vladimir Lenin, and Kim Jong Il that really give you guys a bad name. After all, wiping out over 100 million people from the face of the Earth isn't exactly a nice thing to do.And the people who support these men and are the primary foot soldiers who advance them into positions of power are known as "liberals" and "progressives".

They are the unwitting pawns of their marxist masters and are present in every society where social justice and policies are being promoted as being the compassionate ideology.

Without idiots, marxism would be like a general with no army.....Insignificant and powerless.

PostmodernProphet
08-18-2010, 07:56 AM
Imagine the reaction if I started a thread "Christians dishonor fallen heros by picketing funerals".

my reaction would be that Phelps has more in common with you than with most Christians......

Noir
08-18-2010, 08:11 AM
For anyone who hasn't looked into what this women did, and just accpets the general idea that shes a good person.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9WQ0i3nCx60?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9WQ0i3nCx60?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

PostmodernProphet
08-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Okay, I watched your clip......upon the testimony of one person you are going to claim that "what she did" makes Mother Theresa a bad person?......how do we know this one woman who complained wasn't the bad person?......how do we know the Indian hospital wasn't the "bad person" who refused surgery for this 15 year old boy?........what exactly is your point?.....do you have some evidence that it was Mother Theresa who refused the surgery?......if her "House of Death" didn't exist, would the boy have gotten treatment in India?......would he have died in an alley?........

HogTrash
08-18-2010, 11:13 AM
For anyone who hasn't looked into what this women did, and just accpets the general idea that shes a good person.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9WQ0i3nCx60?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9WQ0i3nCx60?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>You try so desprately hard to discredit religion that you have lost the ability to see the obvious flaws in your own arguments.

The only conclusion I can draw from this video is that she did the best she could with what she had...How could you have possibly missed that?

Outraged Citizen
08-18-2010, 12:03 PM
I understand atheists wanting to seperate church and state. But what about the fact that this woman won the Nobel Peace Prize? Was that religious? Because the Nobel Committee defines the receiver of this award as a person who"“ ...shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses". Hmmmm, I didn't see anything about religion in there.

Atheism is YOUR religion, and you're just trying to force it down America's throat, the same thing you berate everyone else for. Believe whatever you want to believe, but stop getting so angry about stupid crap.

Wanna get really worked up? I'm gonna go stare at some money that says "In God We Trust" on it....

Palin Rider
08-18-2010, 09:15 PM
Okay, I watched your clip......upon the testimony of one person you are going to claim that "what she did" makes Mother Theresa a bad person?......how do we know this one woman who complained wasn't the bad person?......how do we know the Indian hospital wasn't the "bad person" who refused surgery for this 15 year old boy?........what exactly is your point?.....do you have some evidence that it was Mother Theresa who refused the surgery?......if her "House of Death" didn't exist, would the boy have gotten treatment in India?......would he have died in an alley?........

If the clip isn't enough for you, there's quite a bit more evidence in Hitchens' book (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Missionary_Position).

IMO, it's telling that the Catholic Church still hasn't canonized her. Maybe she wasn't as much of a saint as they first thought.

PostmodernProphet
08-18-2010, 11:02 PM
If the clip isn't enough for you, there's quite a bit more evidence in Hitchens' book (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Missionary_Position).

perhaps....but there wasn't a single fact stated in the link you provided.....so, so far, I haven't seen a single substantiated negative thing about her......why not?......is this all based on the simple fact that Hitchen's doesn't like her?.....should we give a fuck what Hitchen's opinion is?......I don't know him.....is he a better person than her?......

Palin Rider
08-18-2010, 11:13 PM
perhaps....but there wasn't a single fact stated in the link you provided.....so, so far, I haven't seen a single substantiated negative thing about her......why not?......is this all based on the simple fact that Hitchen's doesn't like her?.....should we give a fuck what Hitchen's opinion is?......I don't know him.....is he a better person than her?......

If you actually cared to answer those questions, you'd read his book and draw your own conclusions.

LuvRPgrl
08-19-2010, 12:05 AM

IMO, it's telling that the Catholic Church still hasn't canonized her. Maybe she wasn't as much of a saint as they first thought.

You really oughta get your facts in order before spewing the traditional and normal bullshit that is so common with liberals these days

"On Oct. 19, 2003, Pope John Paul II beatified Mother Teresa of Calcutta, who died in 1997. The beatification of the Macedonia-born nun took place in Rome, and her popularity has remained strong in the months since.

The process leading up to the beatification has been the shortest in modern history. In early 1999—less than two years after Mother Teresa's death—Pope John Paul waived the normal five-year waiting period and allowed the immediate opening of her canonization cause. "

http://www.americancatholic.org/features/teresa/sainthood.asp

This investigation may open no sooner than five years after the death of the person being investigated.[7] However, the pope has the authority to waive this five year waiting period, as was done for Mother Teresa by Pope John Paul II [8] and for John Paul II himself by his immediate successor, Benedict XVI.[9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonization

hjmick
08-19-2010, 12:18 AM
Mother Teresa stamp? All I can say is... Thank someone for the self sticking stamps. The last thing I want to do is lick Mother Teresa...

Noir
08-19-2010, 04:21 AM

That clip was only part 1 of 3, did you watch the other two?

What's the difference between dying in an alley and dying on the stone floor of a building with minimal medical aid?

The *only* reason they boy would be refused treatment would surly be over the issue of money. MT was certainly not poor, and put allot of money into world trips and building new houses were the sick could die (but ofcourse not before turning to god) rather than paying for the treatment of the sick in the death houses she already had.

Lemme put it this way, if you were mother T, and had enough money to have either 1 open house, where the poor could come it, get treated, hopefully find god and leave. Or 10 houses where the poor would come in, find god, then die. Which would you rather?

As Palin Rider said if you want more a more extensive insight that the 30 minute video Hitchens did write a book called 'The Missionary Position' abki her.

And it is only a matter of time until she becomes a saint, infact the process is underway now, some women in India said that she had a cancer and it disapeared while holding a coin with MTs face on it. Despite the fact that her doctors say it disapeared because of the drugs they gave her that's notch 1 of the 2 needed to become a saint.

Like I said when I first posted the other day, I know you guys will think I'm saying this because of religion, but just take religon out of it and look at what this women did. She was not concerned with the healing of these people, she was only concerned with their religous beliefs before their certian deaths.

PostmodernProphet
08-19-2010, 08:06 AM
What's the difference between dying in an alley and dying on the stone floor of a building with minimal medical aid?

minimal medical aid....food and water......someone to feed it to you when you're too ill to raise your own hands......not sleeping in your own urine and feces.......I can think of a number of differences......

PostmodernProphet
08-19-2010, 08:10 AM
Lemme put it this way, if you were mother T, and had enough money to have either 1 open house, where the poor could come it, get treated, hopefully find god and leave. Or 10 houses where the poor would come in, find god, then die. Which would you rather?

you're being contradictory.....if you had to design a health system that allowed the poor to get care.....or one that gave everyone in the country inadequate service, which would you legislate......

are you truly arguing that it is better to leave 99 to die in an alley in order to try to heal 1?......

Abbey Marie
08-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Personally, I think it's FANTASTIC that atheists are trying to denigrate Mother Teresa. It shows a whole new level of desperation in their attempt to feel less discouraged by their own non-belief.

It's also more evidence of pathetic Christianphobia. But by now I think people are starting to consider the source and all but dismiss it as more of same.

Noir
08-19-2010, 02:45 PM
you're being contradictory.....if you had to design a health system that allowed the poor to get care.....or one that gave everyone in the country inadequate service, which would you legislate......

are you truly arguing that it is better to leave 99 to die in an alley in order to try to heal 1?......

I would rather have a system were the 1% of people who can get care live, rather than 100% of the people who go for care dying.
If you rather it otherwise then that's your call.

Noir
08-19-2010, 02:47 PM
minimal medical aid....food and water......someone to feed it to you when you're too ill to raise your own hands......not sleeping in your own urine and feces.......I can think of a number of differences......

Mhm, and in both cases you are certain to die in agony. Or, if she'd put the welfare of those in her care before her religious agenda she could of been saving lives.

Noir
08-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Personally, I think it's FANTASTIC that atheists are trying to denigrate Mother Teresa. It shows a whole new level of desperation in their attempt to feel less discouraged by their own non-belief.

It also more evidence of pathetic Christianphobia. But by now I think people are starting to consider the source and all but dismiss it as more of same.

I can only speak for myself, but I don't give a stuffing for her religous beliefs (though ironicly that was what stopped her from helping these people much more than she did).

That was why when I first commented on this a few months ago I thought it was a stupid thing to do purly from a religous perspectie, however, having since learned what she did I wince to think we woukd give this women any more praise that she has already unjustly been given.

Noir
08-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Wanna get really worked up? I'm gonna go stare at some money that says "In God We Trust" on it....

Good day, I do t think we've ever talked before :3

Okie dokes you do that, I'm gonna go stare at some money with a portrait of Sir Charles Darwin on it ^_^

Abbey Marie
08-19-2010, 02:57 PM
I can only speak for myself, but I don't give a stuffing for her religous beliefs (though ironicly that was what stopped her from helping these people much more than she did).

That was why when I first commented on this a few months ago I thought it was a stupid thing to do purly from a religous perspectie, however, having since learned what she did I wince to think we woukd give this women any more praise that she has already unjustly been given.

So you think the observations of hundreds and possibly thousands of people over her lifetime, not to mention the extensive research done by the Vatican to determine sainthood, mean nothing up against one person's writings? I guess you see only what you want to see.

Or perhaps you cannot see clearly at all, once the words "religion" or "faith" enter the picture.

Palin Rider
08-19-2010, 03:10 PM
You really oughta get your facts in order before spewing the traditional and normal bullshit that is so common with liberals these days

"Dittos, Rush!" :lame2:

"On Oct. 19, 2003, Pope John Paul II beatified Mother Teresa of Calcutta, who died in 1997. The beatification of the Macedonia-born nun took place in Rome, and her popularity has remained strong in the months since.

Beatification and canonization aren't the same. Try again.

PostmodernProphet
08-19-2010, 03:27 PM
I would rather have a system were the 1% of people who can get care live, rather than 100% of the people who go for care dying.
If you rather it otherwise then that's your call.

interesting....so how do you distinguish between the 99% who get no care and the 1% who do.....and do the words "death panels" ring a bell?.......

PostmodernProphet
08-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Mhm, and in both cases you are certain to die in agony. Or, if she'd put the welfare of those in her care before her religious agenda she could of been saving lives.

at least we agree that medical care, food and water, helping hands and comfort are all part of the Christian religious 'agenda'......personally, I prefer that to your approach of leaving 99% lying in a alley to die.....as you say though, it's a matter of choice....

PostmodernProphet
08-19-2010, 03:32 PM
but I don't give a stuffing for her religous beliefs

of course you do...in fact, you hate her beliefs so much you actually went so far as to say you want 99% of Indians to die on the streets just so you could make her look bad.......pretty lame in my book.....

PostmodernProphet
08-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Beatification and canonization aren't the same.

well shucks....that makes a world of difference then....

Noir
08-19-2010, 04:56 PM
interesting....so how do you distinguish between the 99% who get no care and the 1% who do.....and do the words "death panels" ring a bell?.......

You would rather that everyone dies?
At then end of the day it's a charity that generates tens of millions a year, but that money is not invested in healthcare, in treatments or anything that would really help these people. Instead it is used to buy these houses of the dying so that when they die they do so believing in whatever god they get preached to them. I would hate to be in a chairty were you have to chose who gets threatment and who doesn't. But that doesn't mean that the answer is for no one to get treatment.

at least we agree that medical care, food and water, helping hands and comfort are all part of the Christian religious 'agenda'......personally, I prefer that to your approach of leaving 99% lying in a alley to die.....as you say though, it's a matter of choice....

Don't pretend to not know what I meant.

of course you do...in fact, you hate her beliefs so much you actually went so far as to say you want 99% of Indians to die on the streets just so you could make her look bad.......pretty lame in my book.....

Utter tosh, which was why when I first saw this thread I had no problem with it. It's only after learning about what she does that I reconsidered. It wouldn't matter if she was a deist, theist or atheist, what she did was vile IMO.

Ps, please try to reply to my post in one post with multiple quotes, being on my phone it's a lol awkward to try and pull them all back into one so as not to cover a page with a dozen replies from each of us.

PostmodernProphet
08-19-2010, 11:26 PM
You would rather that everyone dies?
as opposed to 99 out of a hundred dying alone in an alley without even a glass of water?.......yes.....

At then end of the day it's a charity that generates tens of millions a year, but that money is not invested in healthcare, in treatments or anything that would really help these people. Instead it is used to buy these houses of the dying so that when they die they do so believing in whatever god they get preached to them. I would hate to be in a chairty were you have to chose who gets threatment and who doesn't. But that doesn't mean that the answer is for no one to get treatment.

no, but your answer is that 99% don't get treatment....and you've just stated it is preferable to have a charity that chooses who gets treatment, so don't say you would hate to be there.....

Don't pretend to not know what I meant.

what you meant sucked so much I was trying to make it look a bit more humane.....

Noir
08-20-2010, 03:43 AM
as opposed to 99 out of a hundred dying alone in an alley without even a glass of water?.......yes.....

Well in your world you may aswell just kill them when they come through the door, what's the point in wasting time feeding them or giving them water when they're just gonna lie on the floor in agony before they die?

If they concentrated there efforts they could save lives and make a difference, all they do is give them the very bare minimum and wait for them to die, no doubt under your think that 15 year old from video who died from an easily preventable disease should be greatful that as his body was being torn apart he could have cups of water!

no, but your answer is that 99% don't get treatment....and you've just stated it is preferable to have a charity that chooses who gets treatment, so don't say you would hate to be there.....

Yeah, and you're answer is that 100% don't get treatment. Aslong as they die with a cup of water in their hands alls good.

what you meant sucked so much I was trying to make it look a bit more humane.....

Ofcourse you were.

LiberalNation
08-20-2010, 11:06 AM
the point of a hospice is to give the dying some comfort. Her charities were focused on being a hospice service not medical. The dying came their for care and comfort in their last days ie the point. Nothing wrong with that or worthy of being down on her for.

Noir
08-20-2010, 08:49 PM
the point of a hospice is to give the dying some comfort. Her charities were focused on being a hospice service not medical. The dying came their for care and comfort in their last days ie the point. Nothing wrong with that or worthy of being down on her for.

But they *have* the money to treat these people. They chose not to. The case of the boy who went in with an easily treatable infection, that was allowed to spread, leading to the failure of his liver and death should be case in point enough.

LiberalNation
08-20-2010, 09:42 PM
they said if they did it for him they would have to do it for them all and it was against policy. If he could have been treated and cured elsewhere why didn't he just go to a hospital himself.

Noir
08-21-2010, 06:19 AM
they said if they did it for him they would have to do it for them all and it was against policy. If he could have been treated and cured elsewhere why didn't he just go to a hospital himself.

Yeah, save the life of one 15 year old boy and you'd have to do it for them all, couldn't have that.

And when you're under the care of people you trust (as we must assume this boy trusted these nuns) and they did not suggest that he could go to the hospital to get cured then I'm sure the thought would not of happened upon him to leave the nuns and make his own way to the hospital.

LiberalNation
08-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Yeah, save the life of one 15 year old boy and you'd have to do it for them all, couldn't have that.
you should be fair to all age irregardless. If they couldn't afford for everyone to go to the hospital and have surgery they shouldn't have done it for him.

Noir
08-21-2010, 10:35 AM
you should be fair to all age irregardless. If they couldn't afford for everyone to go to the hospital and have surgery they shouldn't have done it for him.

They recieve TENS of MILLIONS a year, and that was 15 years ago, who knows what they make now. They can afford to treat many of these people but chose not to. Like I said to PMP earlier, they may not be able to threat/cure everyone, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't treat/cure anyone at all.

To put it another way, if they had enough money to cure/treat 50% of the people that came to them, but the other 50% would die, you would rather that because 100% of them can't be treated/cured then 100% of them must be left to die?

Trigg
08-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Those brought to the home received medical attention and were afforded the opportunity to die with dignity, according to the rituals of their faith; Muslims were read the Quran, Hindus received water from the Ganges, and Catholics received the Last Rites.[30] "A beautiful death," she said, "is for people who lived like animals to die like angels—loved and wanted."[30] Mother Teresa soon opened a home for those suffering from Hansen's disease, commonly known as leprosy, and called the hospice Shanti Nagar (City of Peace).[31] The Missionaries of Charity also established several leprosy outreach clinics throughout Calcutta, providing medication, bandages and food.

As the Missionaries of Charity took in increasing numbers of lost children, Mother Teresa felt the need to create a home for them. In 1955 she opened the Nirmala Shishu Bhavan, the Children's Home of the Immaculate Heart, as a haven for orphans and homeless youth.[32

Where do you get the idea that catholocism was FORCED on people?? This article certainly makes clear that all religions were respected.

From everything I've read about her and her many schools, hospitals and hospice centers, she was a wonderful person.

If a person goes to a hospice they won't treat the person, even here in the US. They will send them to a hospital. I would assume the same is true for her centers.

Trigg
08-21-2010, 11:32 AM

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9WQ0i3nCx60?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9WQ0i3nCx60?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

All right just watched the entire video and I for one see nothing wrong with what is being respresented.

India has the 2nd largest population in the world, they are a 3rd world country with no guarantee of medical care. It is all pay as you go. If they had taken the boy to the hospital they would have refused to see him because he had no money. Just because we take antibiotics and cancer drugs for granted doesn't mean they have them in Calcutta.

Presumably people come to her hospice after they've exhausted every other option and their families have no more money to care for them. She takes them in, feeds them, provides them some meds so they can die with some dignity instead of being neglected in some alleyway somewhere.

I'm sure it was a shock to this woman walking into this center. She sees people with shaved heads ( head lice!!!) and on cots. Why don't you pull up pictures of the hospitals in India at the birthing centers. They aren't much better. Women are on beds lined up one after the other. These aren't western hospitals.

Trigg
08-21-2010, 11:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obEvqvzL0fc&feature=related

I simply typed in India public hospitals in the search. I came upon another one with foreign students cleaning up one hospital and another where the only medical worker was a pharmacist.

Here is another example of India's medical system. The woman died because the district hospital refused to admit her, 60,000 pregnant women die every year in preventable deaths.

http://www.hrw.org/en/news/2010/04/14/india-maternal-death-video-nominated-webby-award

She gave birth at a rural clinic but began to hemorrhage and died while her relatives were trying to persuade the district hospital to admit her.

Noir
08-21-2010, 01:34 PM
All right just watched the entire video and I for one see nothing wrong with what is being respresented.

India has the 2nd largest population in the world, they are a 3rd world country with no guarantee of medical care. It is all pay as you go. If they had taken the boy to the hospital they would have refused to see him because he had no money. Just because we take antibiotics and cancer drugs for granted doesn't mean they have them in Calcutta.

Presumably people come to her hospice after they've exhausted every other option and their families have no more money to care for them. She takes them in, feeds them, provides them some meds so they can die with some dignity instead of being neglected in some alleyway somewhere.

I'm sure it was a shock to this woman walking into this center. She sees people with shaved heads ( head lice!!!) and on cots. Why don't you pull up pictures of the hospitals in India at the birthing centers. They aren't much better. Women are on beds lined up one after the other. These aren't western hospitals.

But the point is that they have the money to buy the antibiotics and so forth but chose not to spend it on the health of those in need.

Trigg
08-21-2010, 09:24 PM
But the point is that they have the money to buy the antibiotics and so forth but chose not to spend it on the health of those in need.

Her charity runs schools, hospitals and hospice centers. They do not have the money to help everyone in a country of more than a billion people. They help all they can with what they have.

They don't force their religion, as you wrongly stated.

From the video's I saw it looks like her places are FAR superior to the public run hospitals. How do you KNOW she has the money?????

Gaffer
08-22-2010, 09:15 AM
They recieve TENS of MILLIONS a year, and that was 15 years ago, who knows what they make now. They can afford to treat many of these people but chose not to. Like I said to PMP earlier, they may not be able to threat/cure everyone, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't treat/cure anyone at all.

To put it another way, if they had enough money to cure/treat 50% of the people that came to them, but the other 50% would die, you would rather that because 100% of them can't be treated/cured then 100% of them must be left to die?

That's what life in a politically correct liberal world is all about. Policy says what you can do. Not compassion and logic.

Noir
08-22-2010, 09:37 AM
That's what life in a politically correct liberal world is all about. Policy says what you can do. Not compassion and logic.

While I agree that compassion and logic are being overlooked in favour of a general policy I wouldn't equate that to liberalism myself (infact almost the opposite, nature itself is in no was compassionate, as is shown in Darwinism, which was why many at the time rejected Darwin and his ideas)

@Trigg, I will do further research on the numbers before getting back to you.

PostmodernProphet
08-22-2010, 11:33 AM
Yeah, and you're answer is that 100% don't get treatment. Aslong as they die with a cup of water in their hands alls good.

tell you what.....the next time I see you lying in an alley dying, I'll lean over and whisper to you "I'm giving your cup of water to someone else"......

PostmodernProphet
08-22-2010, 11:40 AM
But they *have* the money to treat these people. They chose not to. The case of the boy who went in with an easily treatable infection, that was allowed to spread, leading to the failure of his liver and death should be case in point enough.

that's not true.....by your own statement, they only have the money to treat one percent....

PostmodernProphet
08-22-2010, 11:44 AM
India has the 2nd largest population in the world, they are a 3rd world country with no guarantee of medical care.

India is not a 3rd world country....the only ones that lack adequate medical care are those who are members of the lowest caste of people, the ones who are not given more than rudimentary education....however, that is a product of the Indian social structure, not of Mother Theresa and her work.....

Nukeman
08-22-2010, 02:53 PM
India is not a 3rd world country....the only ones that lack adequate medical care are those who are members of the lowest caste of people, the ones who are not given more than rudimentary education....however, that is a product of the Indian social structure, not of Mother Theresa and her work.....

India may not be considered a "3rd world country" but only by the smallest thread. There are LARGE areas of India that would well be considered 3rd world by anyones standard..

The caste system in India affects MORE than just the lowest. If your not at the top than you are nothing!!!!

Gaffer
08-22-2010, 07:23 PM
India may not be considered a "3rd world country" but only by the smallest thread. There are LARGE areas of India that would well be considered 3rd world by anyones standard..

The caste system in India affects MORE than just the lowest. If your not at the top than you are nothing!!!!

Sorta like what they are trying to establish here.